The Official Criterion Deals and Discussion Thread

[quote name='wormraper']the $20 ones i get at $13+tax
the $25 ones I get at $17.50+tax[/QUOTE]

damn....i might have to pick some of these up then! Those are great prices! I'm murdering my budget right now...but Criterions are calling me!! AARRGGH!!! LOL

[quote name='joeyatog']damn....i might have to pick some of these up then! Those are great prices! I'm murdering my budget right now...but Criterions are calling me!! AARRGGH!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

Hey, man. Even without the coupons, $20 for a Criterion Bluray is outstanding.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Hey, man. Even without the coupons, $20 for a Criterion Bluray is outstanding.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree! It's just bad timing for me personally to be spending money of Blu-Rays but I still can't help it! =p

[quote name='D_Icon']Shock Corridor, any good? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Great movie, but don't buy it. New release coming in a few months from criterion.

Picked up Seven Samurai Blu with a giftcard I had leftover from my birthday. I want the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set, but I don't think I can afford to buy them right now...

Also: Damn them for doing this before the release of Cronos!

[quote name='wormraper']of course, done it 7 times so far[/QUOTE]

Ended up using this coup 7 times yesterday too! Went to three separate B&Ns and one let me use it 5 times, while the others would only take one.

If you guys are thinking about getting in on this deal, there's no better time than now. Sign up for the free 2-month membership on their website, and then copy down the membership number they email you. With the coup, you save $7-8 per Blu without having to factor in the $25 membership fee. Which is amazing! Now I'm more concerned about limiting my spending, since this price is CRAZY for Criterions. I know I'm going to buy way too many...

I'm lucky enough to have more than a few B&N's nearby and on my way to work in D.C.

So instead of asking for separate transactions at one location, I've been buying one Blu at several locations and its worked for me 3 times now. Loving $13 Criterions.

What's up with The Thin Red Line being so rare? I live in an area with a lot of B&N stores and, according to the site anyway, none of them have it in stock. I placed an order on the website, and it gave me a shipping date of November 22nd. I don't really care when I get it as long as it comes, but still, it seems weird. I would think that if anything that would be one of the more popular titles that they'd want to have well stocked.

Currently at online checkout, and I am presented with this:

24l7x47.png

Does it matter which option I choose? Which would yield the best discounts?

[quote name='jpmoney']Does it matter which option I choose? Which would yield the best discounts?[/QUOTE]

Are you a library or a school? If not, then don't commit fraud by claiming to be something you're not. I'm all for deals, but I swear, the lengths that some people on this site will go to in order to save an extra dollar or two are just ridiculous sometimes.

[quote name='arcane93']Are you a library or a school? If not, then don't commit fraud by claiming to be something you're not. I'm all for deals, but I swear, the lengths that some people on this site will go to in order to save an extra dollar or two are just ridiculous sometimes.[/QUOTE]

These are going into my sister's classroom.

EDIT: Left checkout for a few minutes and then tried it again, and I wasn't greeted with that option. Chose the second option initially (Library, School, etc), so it's possible that that option stuck. Still not sure what the difference was, but doesn't matter.

Boy, my sister's classes are sure going to benefit from these movies :D

I don't think it's bad to use the library link. A tad unethical, maybe. But they should really do a better job of leaving that option only for schools/libraries. I don't know what that option would be however.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I don't think it's bad to use the library link. A tad unethical, maybe. But they should really do a better job of leaving that option only for schools/libraries. I don't know what that option would be however.[/QUOTE]
Generally they'll verify that the address on the order is verified with the NAIS, and if it isn't, they'll remove all coupons and discounts and zing your credit card/paypal for the full MSRP after it's too late to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bthoma']If you guys are thinking about getting in on this deal, there's no better time than now. Sign up for the free 2-month membership on their website, and then copy down the membership number they email you.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link? I'm not seeing that offer...

[quote name='Finch106']Generally they'll verify that the address on the order is verified with the NAIS, and if it isn't, they'll remove all coupons and discounts and zing your credit card/paypal for the full MSRP after it's too late to change it.[/QUOTE]

that they CAN"T do. legally they can't change your bill etc... unless they notify you or adjust the amount your card was charged different than a printed order. they can get into HUGE legal trouble by doing that.

[quote name='wormraper']that they CAN"T do. legally they can't change your bill etc... unless they notify you or adjust the amount your card was charged different than a printed order. they can get into HUGE legal trouble by doing that.[/QUOTE]

You may have missed the edit :)

Last edited by Finch106; Today at 02:25 PM.. Reason: JOKING

If I was going to stack the 5 dollar coupon, How would I go about doing it when going to a cashier? Tips? Nub here. Thinking of purchasing Seven Samurai and Night of the Hunter for $50 pre coupons.

[quote name='bthoma']B&N taking multiple copies of that coupon is definitely YMMV. Some people are really successful with it, but other stores won't even take it because they say the member discount brings the Blu to $18 (for most Criterion titles), so they won't accept the coupon. And then some stores will only let you use it once since the coupon states "may only be redeemed once per Member." If your local store does this for you though, great!

Anyway, just picked up Seven Samurai in store for $18.xx! For anyone wondering about the two-month trial membership, you can totally use the coupons with it. I just signed up for it a few days ago, and I used a coupon for SS with no problem.[/QUOTE]

Stop dumping haterade and just read the text.... MINIMUM B&N selling price of 20... B&N selling price is the price at the register before tax and discounts INCLUDING membership discount.

This is not YMMV if you just ask. In MA/CT I've gone to 8 Barnes and Nobles... Had one CSR who I had to "talk" into doing it.

Stop being a hater and just go with it... get off my shit...

[quote name='Curiousgeorge']If I was going to stack the 5 dollar coupon, How would I go about doing it when going to a cashier? Tips? Nub here. Thinking of purchasing Seven Samurai and Night of the Hunter for $50 pre coupons.[/QUOTE]

You: Hi, I just wanted to pick these blu's up. I have these coupons I got for being a B&N member (You need a card). I have two copies of these coupons. Can I possibly do two separate transactions?

IF they say no:

No, well I guess I could just do one today and come back tomorrow, but it'd be so helpful if you could just help me out this time.

If not, than maybe just leave the store and come back in the store. Just to make a point.

[quote name='joeyatog']So are you guys having success stacking BN Membership w/ the $5 coupon?[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah,

I did 12 Criterions in 12 seperate transactions at B&N Hadley, MA. 39.99 end up being 13.81 and 29.99 end up being 9.xx

See earlier post. Royal tannenbaums for 5 bucks.

[quote name='Curiousgeorge']If I was going to stack the 5 dollar coupon, How would I go about doing it when going to a cashier? Tips? Nub here. Thinking of purchasing Seven Samurai and Night of the Hunter for $50 pre coupons.[/QUOTE]

For the $5 of $50 coupon the total (generally) has to be over $50 POST membership discount. Here is the order that I gave them:

1st - $5 off $50
2nd - $5 off any DVD
3rd - 10% off single item (if you have 2 with different skus then use them both)

Worked for me! Good luck.

[quote name='Sixtywatz']Stop dumping haterade and just read the text.... MINIMUM B&N selling price of 20... B&N selling price is the price at the register before tax and discounts INCLUDING membership discount.

This is not YMMV if you just ask. In MA/CT I've gone to 8 Barnes and Nobles... Had one CSR who I had to "talk" into doing it.

Stop being a hater and just go with it... get off my shit...[/QUOTE]

Not sure why I'm a "hater" for pointing out that not all cashiers at all B&Ns will do this for you...

I've had a lot of success with it so far this sale (picked up 9 blus!), but I'm lucky enough to live in an area with lots of B&Ns, only one of which has denied me using multiple coupons. But this is YMMV, even if you ask. Some people over on the blu-ray.com forum have reported that some stores won't even take the coupon, even after an argument. And the coupon clearly states that it can only be used once per member account, so making your cashier read it closely won't exactly encourage them to let you use it multiple times...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bthoma']And the coupon clearly states that it can only be used once per member account, so making your cashier read it closely won't exactly encourage them to let you use it multiple times...[/QUOTE]

It also says it's for "membership purchased between August 23, 2010 and October 27, 2010" . . . I've been hesitant to try it because my membership expires at the end of this month, so every time they ring me up they get a message telling them to ask me if I want to renew. I really don't want to renew right now -- my current membership will last me through this sale, and with the future of B&N in a bit of a flux I'm not inclined to invest in another year right at this moment (I really only get my money's worth out of the membership with these Criterion sales, so I might as well wait and see if there's another one). But it makes it pretty obvious to them that I'm not within the coupon terms.

I dunno, I may be overthinking it. But last year when I was a new member and could use the coupons entirely legitimately, I remember encountering several cashiers that read over the terms pretty closely before accepting them, and others who already knew the terms without having to look at them. Maybe the managers around here are more on top of educating their employees about the coupons than in other areas.

[quote name='arcane93']It also says it's for "membership purchased between August 23, 2010 and October 27, 2010" . . . I've been hesitant to try it because my membership expires at the end of this month[/QUOTE]

I think they could technically deny you using the coupon for this, but I'd bet most cashiers wouldn't even pay attention to it.

Also, a tip for people who want to use multiple coupons at once but may run into a stubborn cashier: there's now a coupon that expires in January.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=36125

If you take this coupon and the coupon that expires in November, they'll be more likely to let you use two coupons since they are technically different coupons. Good luck!

reserved the thin red line, drove 20 minutes and they sold the blu ray to someone else and gave me the dvd. I was so pissed

[quote name='bthoma']I think they could technically deny you using the coupon for this, but I'd bet most cashiers wouldn't even pay attention to it.

Also, a tip for people who want to use multiple coupons at once but may run into a stubborn cashier: there's now a coupon that expires in January.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=36125

If you take this coupon and the coupon that expires in November, they'll be more likely to let you use two coupons since they are technically different coupons. Good luck![/QUOTE]

as a bit of forewarning, it's worth mentioning that the jan. coupon is for everyone who registered from oct. 28 on.

[quote name='ryosnk']Does amazon usually pricematch this sale?[/QUOTE]

not that i'm aware of, although there was one time when 400 blows on bd was 12.99, making it even lower than its price now during the sale

IMO, it's pretty safe to say this'll be the lowest they'll be until the first criterion sale where there is a format superior to bd

[quote name='ryosnk']Does amazon usually pricematch this sale?[/QUOTE]

They actually did price match in July 2009 and November 2009 (see here and here), but I don't think they did July 2010. So whether they will this time or not is hard to say.

Thanks for the info. I would prefer buying at amazon since my local store does not have the criterions that I'm looking for and no taxes at amazon.

I remember Amazon dropped the price of a few Criterion movies (mostly Blu versions) but not all were reduced to 50% off. Many were around $21 I recall.

[quote name='arcane93']They actually did price match in July 2009 and November 2009 (see here and here), but I don't think they did July 2010. So whether they will this time or not is hard to say.[/QUOTE]

ah my bad

Even if Amazon does match, you can get a better deal at Barnes and Noble with a membership + $5 off coupon. It ends up being $13 for a $40 MSRP movie.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Barnes and Noble gave me the tracking number of something that shipped to a different state in July!!! What the hell?[/QUOTE]

That's happened to me before. I think tracking numbers gets reused from time to time or something. It should be updated with new info eventually.

Man, people snapped up all the copies of Seven Samurai at my Barnes and Nobles :bomb:

I blind bought House for $13.xx. Not sure how I feel about that one yet.

-

[quote name='gunstar808']Man, people snapped up all the copies of Seven Samurai at my Barnes and Nobles :bomb:

I blind bought House for $13.xx. Not sure how I feel about that one yet.

-[/QUOTE]

I was considering this title myself since everyone and their grandma on bluray.com is buying it. But...the trailer itself really freaked me out and Im not the one for horror movies. I ended up passing on that one.

EDIT: and when I mean freaked out, I don't mean scared, I mean more like disturbed. Some of those scenes were like WTF!
EDIT2: Oh by the way, I hope DHL goes under faster than the Titanic. Worst shipping company ever.

Picked up the following Criterion Blu-ray titles:

- The Darjeeling Limited for $18.00
- Yojimbo & Sanjuro Pack for $26.77

When I signed up for the membership yesterday, they gave me 10% off as well as 15% off of the Yojimbo & Sanjuro Pack. Not sure if that 15% off MBR Item Cpn was a sign up promotion, but I'll take it!

It says you gotta make an online purchase as well to get the free membership. I wonder if a bookmark or mints count. Or even better a gift card.

M

Ok it seems as it went through purchasing with a gift card and free 2 month membership signup. Just waiting on the email for my membership info.

M

I picked up House and The Magician for $34 total. I had one $5 coupon and the membership discount. I didn't want to try and use multiple coupons considering it was not a new membership and the clerk let me use it anyways.

I will go back again next week though and maybe pick up The Leopard and something else. =)

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Ok it seems as it went through purchasing with a gift card and free 2 month membership signup. Just waiting on the email for my membership info.

M[/QUOTE]I did the same, though bought a set of bookmarks with free express shipping.

Hopefully, it'll show up pretty quickly, so I can go place my order with the extra 10% off.

bread's done
Back