The Official Criterion Deals and Discussion Thread

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Whew. Glad I snagged that from the sale. It was a movie that I've always wanted to see (lol@ridiculous Criterion backlog)[/QUOTE]

I got it free from Amazon in August :)

I wouldn't bet on it being out of print. B&N is simply very bad at keeping things in stock and knowing when they will be able to fulfill orders. For instance, I ordered the TMNT collection from them, and ultimately received a cancellation because they claimed in the email they didn't know when they would be able to get more. I called their help line and found out that this literally means they don't think they can fulfill the order within 30 days, and as such they are legally obligated to cancel it. This exact process of ordering and subsequent cancellation occurred with the Spiderman Trilogy, as well.

This doesn't mean TMNT or the Spiderman Trilogy are out of print - in fact, they got more in stock within a week of each order of mine that was cancelled. The same applies to many of B&N's blu-rays - they just don't buy enough at a time to make any promises with regards to fulfilling orders, and they don't make orders for more in anticipation of running out of stock, so they just panic and cancel these orders. B&N's stock is the worst possible indicator of when something is or isn't in stock.

Well, the fact that Amazon doesn't have it available either does make it more suspicious. Though it could also be that Criterion sold out of their current print run beyond a few copies that they're keeping around to fill direct orders, and they just haven't gotten around to printing more yet. Since I think that Chungking Express is one of those movies that has only been available in the cardboard packaging up to this point, they may have a delay because of transitioning over to the plastic case packaging.

Though yeah, Barnes and Noble were apparently quite bad about canceling people's orders for no apparent reason this time around. There was a lot of bitching about it on the Criterion Facebook page. Fortunately, I got everything I ordered.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, the fact that Amazon doesn't have it available either does make it more suspicious. Though it could also be that Criterion sold out of their current print run beyond a few copies that they're keeping around to fill direct orders, and they just haven't gotten around to printing more yet. Since I think that Chungking Express is one of those movies that has only been available in the cardboard packaging up to this point, they may have a delay because of transitioning over to the plastic case packaging.[/QUOTE]

Did they ever have this sort of problem with Bottle Rocket as it transitioned to plastic cases? I just find it peculiar Amazon of all retailers should have a shortage.

[quote name='exRounder']Did they ever have this sort of problem with Bottle Rocket as it transitioned to plastic cases? I just find it peculiar Amazon of all retailers should have a shortage.[/QUOTE]

Hm, dunno, I wasn't tracking it that closely (I already had it in the cardboard case by the time the transition happened). I'm just suggesting an alternate possibility (not even necessarily the case thing, could just be a general printing delay) for why it could be currently unavailable, but not out of print.

[quote name='arcane93']Hm, dunno, I wasn't tracking it that closely (I already had it in the cardboard case by the time the transition happened). I'm just suggesting an alternate possibility (not even necessarily the case thing, could just be a general printing delay) for why it could be currently unavailable, but not out of print.[/QUOTE]

I suppose I'll err on the side of caution and grab this now, before I pay more for it later like I did with Man Who Fell to Earth.

Mentioned by Masterkyo over in this thread, but I figured that it was worth mentioning here as well . . . B&N currently has the BBS Story set on sale for 50% off online ($62.49 for blu-ray, $49.99 for DVD). Use the coupon code C3N8F7W for an additional 15% off (takes it down to $53.11 for blu-ray, or $42.49 for DVD). Looks to be the only Criterion title discounted by that much right now, but I've been hoping for a deal on it, so I'm happy.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Tempting for BBS Story hope another 25% or 30% pop after x-mas ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to risk waiting for it, because I doubt it'll be 50% off for very long. If another coupon like that pops up, I'm sure I'll find something else to use it on. ;)

[quote name='Masterkyo']Tempting for BBS Story hope another 25% or 30% pop after x-mas ;)[/QUOTE]

Every time deals like this happen, I feel like I'm in Vegas: should I gamble and wait, risking a raise in price or take it for what it is?

In this case, I'll just bite and end my misery.

EDIT: And, of course, thanks for the heads-up!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It is a 6 movie, 6 disc Criterion collection. For ten bucks a month, man what a bargain. If it happens, reorder and return first copy to the store. ;p[/QUOTE]

You cant do that. They are in slim cases.

I already own this set.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It is a 6 movie, 6 disc Criterion collection. For ten bucks a month, man what a bargain. If it happens, reorder and return first copy to the store. ;p[/QUOTE]

Actually seven movies -- Drive, He Said and A Safe Place are on one disc together. So even more of a bargain! :D

[quote name='arcane93']Actually seven movies -- Drive, He Said and A Safe Place are on one disc together. So even more of a bargain! :D[/QUOTE]
THAT'S fuckING SICK BRO
Actually, I've always wanted to see Head. It seems like such a trippy movie.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']THAT'S fuckING SICK BRO
Actually, I've always wanted to see Head. It seems like such a trippy movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Head, Easy Rider, and Five Easy Pieces have been on my list to see for a while, so they make the set worthwhile by themselves. The other films sound pretty interesting too, though (particularly A Safe Place -- Orson Welles as a magician with "a cheap Yiddish accent" (per the All Movie Guide review)? I'm in! :lol:)

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, Head, Easy Rider, and Five Easy Pieces have been on my list to see for a while, so they make the set worthwhile by themselves. The other films sound pretty interesting too, though (particularly A Safe Place -- Orson Welles as a magician with "a cheap Yiddish accent" (per the All Movie Guide review)? I'm in! :lol:)[/QUOTE]Nice find, especially with the 15% off coupon. After the $10 GC B&N sent me for the screw-up with my BTTFS order, it's even cheaper.

Yeah, objectively it's a great bargain. But with money being tight, there's that urge to always bet cheaper.

By the way, have you ever returned anything an online order at the store? With the shipping on this being free, does that mean a full refund with nothing to lose? If so, then yeah - no real risk here at all!

Also, happy holidays, folks!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yep, full refund. But don't use paypal. They can't refund your Paypal account in store. You'd have to take a store credit.[/QUOTE]

I hope that was just the store you visited, because if that's how it is for all stores, then that's fucking stupid.

[quote name='lolwut?']I hope that was just the store you visited, because if that's how it is for all stores, then that's fucking stupid.[/QUOTE]
*shrugs* Says so on their website too. They just can't refund Paypal accounts at the store level.
Buuuuuut.... when I used Paypal, I tried anyway. They looked at him, said "hmm, got a debit card?" and swiped my debit card and successfully did the refund on my card. So they technically can. But they're not supposed to I guess.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yep, full refund. But don't use paypal. They can't refund your Paypal account in store. You'd have to take a store credit.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good to know - thanks!

[quote name='arcane93']Mentioned by Masterkyo over in this thread, but I figured that it was worth mentioning here as well . . . B&N currently has the BBS Story set on sale for 50% off online ($62.49 for blu-ray, $49.99 for DVD). Use the coupon code C3N8F7W for an additional 15% off (takes it down to $53.11 for blu-ray, or $42.49 for DVD). Looks to be the only Criterion title discounted by that much right now, but I've been hoping for a deal on it, so I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. The blu-ray set wound up being $57.27 after tax for me.

My BBS Story set just arrived. The discs are in individual slim-line digipacks within the larger box, each with their own spine number (544-550). Interestingly, the Drive, He Said/A Safe Place disc was given two spine numbers, despite being a single disc. There's also a nice 112 page book included which covers the entire set. Looks like a pretty nice set (not that I expected less out of Criterion) overall.

[quote name='arcane93']My BBS Story set just arrived. The discs are in individual slim-line digipacks within the larger box, each with their own spine number (544-550). Interestingly, the Drive, He Said/A Safe Place disc was given two spine numbers, despite being a single disc. There's also a nice 112 page book included which covers the entire set. Looks like a pretty nice set (not that I expected less out of Criterion) overall.[/QUOTE]

Did you get a pretty good copy or was it hurt in the shipping process?

[quote name='exRounder']Did you get a pretty good copy or was it hurt in the shipping process?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty much as good as it's going to get. The box itself is in excellent shape. The digipacks are, as Criterion digipacks tend to be, not perfectly straight on the edge (though that's mostly correctable through a little careful manipulation of the folds), but otherwise are in good condition as well. While I wouldn't call it 100% perfect because of that, I doubt I'll ever see a significantly better one.

[quote name='arcane93']It's pretty much as good as it's going to get. The box itself is in excellent shape. The digipacks are, as Criterion digipacks tend to be, not perfectly straight on the edge (though that's mostly correctable through a little careful manipulation of the folds), but otherwise are in good condition as well. While I wouldn't call it 100% perfect because of that, I doubt I'll ever see a significantly better one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, arcane93 - waiting on mine with fingers crossed because of the horror stories I keep hearing about. I got Life from BN before and that came to me in pretty good shape so knock on wood, I guess.

I got mine for $45 during the Criterion 50% sale, mailed to me, and it came in perfect shape because it was put into a larger box. The size of the set dictates the packaging, in my experience, as while this came in a box, Night of the Hunter did not and was crushed in shipping. Something to note.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']Cool, thanks. The blu-ray set wound up being $57.27 after tax for me.[/QUOTE]

Is this a good deal?

[quote name='ryosnk']Is this a good deal?[/QUOTE]

Seven American movies (most of which feature the burgeoning talents of Jack Nicholson) that define the youthful exuberance rarely seen outside of Europe, all of which are given the full Criterion treatment, including a 100+ page booklet. This is a fucking good deal.

[quote name='supershammy']Seven American movies (most of which feature the burgeoning talents of Jack Nicholson) that define the youthful exuberance rarely seen outside of Europe, all of which are given the full Criterion treatment, including a 100+ page booklet. This is a fucking good deal.[/QUOTE]

I decided to get it since it's criterion and with all the glowing reviews.

Received my BBS collection today, appears to be in perfect condition.

Great deal on a great set, thanks to arcane93 for posting the deal originally!

[quote name='ryosnk']I just finished watching House and that is one weird movie but enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is a bizarre movie. I ended up watching it twice, then selling it for the same amount I paid for it. I don't think I ever need to watch it again.

[quote name='myka22']Yes that is a bizarre movie. I ended up watching it twice, then selling it for the same amount I paid for it. I don't think I ever need to watch it again.[/QUOTE]

What was it that made you sell it and not have it in your collection?

[quote name='ryosnk']What was it that made you sell it and not have it in your collection?[/QUOTE]

I think politely saying it was "bizarre" was enough... that movie is pretty awful and not a fun movie to watch.

It's like watching an art film from a BFA Film School student.

[quote name='ryosnk']What was it that made you sell it and not have it in your collection?[/QUOTE]

I guess I could of kept it, but I don't see myself wanting to see it again in the next 5 years. I like weird movies, but House just isn't an enjoyable experience.

Barnes and Noble is having a "Buy 2, Get the 3rd Free" sale on DVDs and blu-rays on their website which includes many Criterion titles, including all of the recent releases. The offer says "may not be combined with any other coupon", but I found a 10% off one item coupon code online (BNEBATE) which I was able to use.

I ordered Cronos, Videodrome, and Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Total was $53.18 before tax ($17.73 each).

[quote name='arcane93']Barnes and Noble is having a "Buy 2, Get the 3rd Free" sale on DVDs and blu-rays on their website which includes many Criterion titles, including all of the recent releases. The offer says "may not be combined with any other coupon", but I found a 10% off one item coupon code online (BNEBATE) which I was able to use.

I ordered Cronos, Videodrome, and Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Total was $53.18 before tax ($17.73 each).[/QUOTE]

! Not bad! Thanks Arcane.

Thats weird, I paid $26.99 for Broadcast News 2 days ago, now it comes out and is $2 cheaper. Going to get a $2 refund from Amazon, I don't think they can say no.

Not Criterion, but of possible interest to some . . . DVD.CO.UK has a lot of the BFI "Flipside" blu-ray titles marked down to £6.95, which is less than half of the price they're going for on Amazon UK, and the best price I've seen on them. Many of these films are unlikely to ever see a US release. I ordered Magick Lantern Cycle (a collection of Kenneth Anger's films) and Permissive (of interest to me at the very least because Comus did the soundtrack), and the total came out to £17.48 (~$28.45) shipped.

Many (but unfortunately far from all) BFI titles are region-free. The reviews on blu-ray.com generally specify whether titles are region coded or not, so check there for specific titles before ordering anything.

And man, after seeing the list of Ozu films that BFI has put out on blu-ray already (unfortunately, all region B coded), I really want a region-free blu-ray player. Too bad they're so expensive. Hopefully Criterion picks up the ball and gets those titles released here soon.

[quote name='arcane93']Not Criterion, but of possible interest to some . . . DVD.CO.UK has a lot of the BFI "Flipside" blu-ray titles marked down to £6.95, which is less than half of the price they're going for on Amazon UK, and the best price I've seen on them. Many of these films are unlikely to ever see a US release. I ordered Magick Lantern Cycle (a collection of Kenneth Anger's films) and Permissive (of interest to me at the very least because Comus did the soundtrack), and the total came out to £17.48 (~$28.45) shipped.

Many (but unfortunately far from all) BFI titles are region-free. The reviews on blu-ray.com generally specify whether titles are region coded or not, so check there for specific titles before ordering anything.

And man, after seeing the list of Ozu films that BFI has put out on blu-ray already (unfortunately, all region B coded), I really want a region-free blu-ray player. Too bad they're so expensive. Hopefully Criterion picks up the ball and gets those titles released here soon.[/QUOTE]
Oh man, that list of Ozu definitely makes me envious. I'd be so happy if Criterion released even one of his films. Especially if it was "An Autumn Afternoon."

How does Days of Heaven on Blu look compared to the DVD (I know it's a dumb question)? I recently bought the DVD from a fellow CAG and am disappointed in the picture. I don't know if it's because it has been awhile since I watched a DVD or it's the film itself. The last upscaled DVD I watched was Cool Hand Luke and it looked spectacular. Is it worth upgrading to blu?

[quote name='MachineElf']How does Days of Heaven on Blu look compared to the DVD (I know it's a dumb question)? I recently bought the DVD from a fellow CAG and am disappointed in the picture. I don't know if it's because it has been awhile since I watched a DVD or it's the film itself. The last upscaled DVD I watched was Cool Hand Luke and it looked spectacular. Is it worth upgrading to blu?[/QUOTE]

Which DVD, the Paramount release or the Criterion release? Both Criterion releases are a significant improvement over the Paramount version. The difference between the Criterion DVD and the Criterion blu-ray is a bit more subtle, but the detail is significantly enhanced. Take a look at the screen capture comparisons here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews9/days-of-heaven.htm

That being said, is it worth upgrading? Depends on how you feel about the movie. If you think it's something that you're going to watch at least a few more times, then definitely. On the other hand, if it's just going to sit on your shelf, it might not be worth bothering.

Thank you so much for that link. It is the Criterion DVD and I love the film, so, I will watch it once a year or so. Those side by side comparisons sold me on the upgrade.

Another non-Criterion deal that may be of interest to some here (maybe this should be a Criterion/Kino/Studio Canal/other boutique video label thread, rather than just Criterion?) --

Best Buy has the Ran blu-ray (the Stuio Canal release) on sale for $13.99 this week, which is by far the best price I've seen on it without having to apply a bunch of coupons and other discounts:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Ran+-+W...Blu-ray+Disc/9730979.p?skuId=9730979&id=48100

Edit: Looks like Amazon has matched the deal, if you'd rather buy from them.

And no, it's not Criterion, and not as good as Criterion would probably do it, but . . . well, if you're waiting for Criterion to put it out, you're probably going to be waiting for a long, long time. Since Lions Gate pulled the license and released it themselves, it's quite possible (likely, even) that we'll never see a Criterion version on blu-ray.

That being said, it's really not bad at all. I have it (got it for about $15 last year from B&N by combining a sale, a coupon, and my member discount), and I'm not at all displeased with it. While the picture and sound quality does show room for improvement still, it is noticeably better than the previous DVD versions (including the Criterion DVD), and well worth the upgrade. If you want Ran on blu-ray (and you should if Kurosawa interests you at all -- it's a fantastic film), it's worth grabbing, especially at this price.

(I just wish they had other Studio Canal titles on sale as well -- I'm still waiting to find a good deal on Contempt. :cry:)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back