The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Z-Saber']Got the game in January and played through the entire Medium career the day I bought it. I then played it for hours every day for about a month. Beat every song, five-starred all but a few, and moved on to Hard. About a week or two later, I tried Expert and got distracted for a while. Finally went back and beat it, and have played GH at the very least once a week, though usually more.

Expert really isn't that hard. Sure, I still struggle on a few songs (I failed gloriously on the Decontrol solo last weekend), but it isn't too difficult once you jump into it. They nailed the difficulty ramp. It progresses perfectly.[/QUOTE]

My issue with GH1 though is that the first 2 sets of songs (and quite a few in the 3rd and 4th sets) aren't really that fun to play after you get good. They're generally too repetitive and simplistic. I still enjoy going back to those songs occasionally, but I do feel limited when I play the game now. Looks like that won't be the case in GH2 though...

The generally accepted way to play Guitar Hero is with your hands normally resting on RYBO, and shifting/stretching back to hit Green. I can't really stretch, so I just shift, but some of those hacked Guitar Hero II songs are making me wish I could stretch. There are some ugly chord changes that I can't cope with yet.

[quote name='evanft']I have small hands, though, so I have to move my entire hand down a fret in order to nail the orange button, and this is really difficult because of the way I have to hold the controller.

Oh, and I destroyed my BOTM score on medium a couple days ago. My previous high was around 70k. My new one is over 127k.[/QUOTE]

I have small hands as well and I really struggle trying to hit that 5th fret. If I kept playing I know I'd get better, but it is more fun for me to just play on medium. I wish they would give us a Hard 4 button mode. That would rock.

My Bark at the Moon score on medium is 180k ... and I got 206k on Cowboys from Hell. Go me. I'm fast enough and good enough I'm sure I could do fine on Hard and Expert with practice, but I have more fun on medium.

Walked into my local TRU this morning looking for some deals and stumbled on some unopened boxes full of Guitar Hero 2. Must have been 20 cartons with what seemed to be 5 GH2 per carton. Tried to get the kid at the register to sell me one but he pointed out that the carton clearly was labeled "do not sell before 11/07. They were putting them up out of sight as I was leaving.

[quote name='hfdpro']Walked into my local TRU this morning looking for some deals and stumbled on some unopened boxes full of Guitar Hero 2. Must have been 20 cartons with what seemed to be 5 GH2 per carton. Tried to get the kid at the register to sell me one but he pointed out that the carton clearly was labeled "do not sell before 11/07. They were putting them up out of sight as I was leaving.[/QUOTE]

GH 2 is part of a mandatory store layout for R-Zone, so I am not surprised that Activision/Red Octane made sure that all TRU stores got them before the 7th.

Indeed. Most of it doesn't look that hard, though, just those really MEEDLEY MEEDLEY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! parts, but I think you can just tap those now.

crazy video.

did anyone take a look at that guy's other videos? he was playing GH 1 songs on practice mode of GH 2. I'm guessing that's another demo hack?

I cannot fucking wait for this game. I'm going to go to TRU this weekend and see if some dipshit employee will accidentally sell the game to me early.

I preordered mine a while ago. My mom is buying it for me for my birthday, just as she did with Guitar Hero 1. My mom rules.

In that video, I died around 7:20-ish, soon after the four-note scales and when it goes into three. Ludicrous though. I wasn't even close to that good.

Damn Hangar 18 looks harder than Freebird, mainly because Freebird looked to have a few hard sections that just repeated the notes over and over whereas Hangar 18 has lots of different hard sections.

Just called Target, one copy left, holding it for me. Gonna go get my money back from EB and ROCK THE fuck OUT. Quick question, how does EB give back money that was used on a debit card?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Just called Target, one copy left, holding it for me. Gonna go get my money back from EB and ROCK THE fuck OUT. Quick question, how does EB give back money that was used on a debit card?[/quote]

They credited my card when I canceled my DS pre order.

[quote name='Logain8955']Confirmed by the GH forums: Target has broken street date, nationwide.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the headsup.

I checked my local Target this morning, but they didn't have it. An employee actually went into the back and checked for a good 15-20 minutes, to see if they had the game. Probably means that particular store didn't get their shipments yet.

The wait is painful. I went into work last night (TRU) and we had a stack of 17 boxes of the GH 2 bundle in the R-Zone. 102 frikkin' copies just sitting there. Too bad all of them had street date labels all over them.

Just got back from Target.

They had the game only sitting on the shelf, asked about the guitar bundle and the guy was clueless.

I didn't buy it since I need another guitar.

[quote name='buttasuperb']Just got back from Target.

They had the game only sitting on the shelf, asked about the guitar bundle and the guy was clueless.

I didn't buy it since I need another guitar.[/QUOTE]

Where are you?

I called some Bay Area Targets, but no luck...might go in store later.

DO NOT GO TO TARGET!

It's already recalled in their system. I HAD IT IN MY HAND!

First one I called said they didn't have it. I went and checked, and of course it wasn't there. I called the second one and they said they had four game-only copies. I FLEW there, breaking every known speed limit two-fold. And there it was. Guy rang it up, I swiped my card, and he called some manager lady over because it said it was recalled. She said they had to put it in the back and wait until next week.

Screw Target.
If I call and you say you have the game AND YOU DO, freaking sell it to me or tell me not to bother so I don't have to waste an hour of my time.

That being said, I'mma download it right now since I should have it already. I'll still buy it next week from somewhere else, but I have no qualms in downloading it for now.

My Mom got the game!!!!!!!! Hell fucking yes!!!!

Tomorrow I get to play it. I need to get a new Guitar, but shit... I'm happy.

[quote name='Z-Saber']DO NOT GO TO TARGET!

It's already recalled in their system. I HAD IT IN MY HAND!

First one I called said they didn't have it. I went and checked, and of course it wasn't there. I called the second one and they said they had four game-only copies. I FLEW there, breaking every known speed limit two-fold. And there it was. Guy rang it up, I swiped my card, and he called some manager lady over because it said it was recalled. She said they had to put it in the back and wait until next week.

Screw Target.
If I call and you say you have the game AND YOU DO, freaking sell it to me or tell me not to bother so I don't have to waste an hour of my time.

That being said, I'mma download it right now since I should have it already. I'll still buy it next week from somewhere else, but I have no qualms in downloading it for now.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. Same thing just happened to me. I called, they had 4... She reserved me one. I also flew there, breaking every speed limit and getting there in record time.

She rings it up, I have it in my hand.. "Sorry this is recalled, I can't sell you it".
What?! "Try again!". She gets the manager, who gives me the run around. fuck target. Thanks for the wasted gas and way to crush my hopes, fuckers.

This thing's a whopping 4.32 GB. Anyway, it shouldn't take me too long since there's a ton of people on it. Now I just need to decide where to buy it/which version to buy.

[quote name='Z-Saber']This thing's a whopping 4.32 GB. Anyway, it shouldn't take me too long since there's a ton of people on it. Now I just need to decide where to buy it/which version to buy.[/quote]

So is this confirmed to work with HDLoader? I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this is true.

Same fucking thing happened to me at Target. At about noon and asked if they had it in. "One copy left", the clerk told me. fucking sweet. Hold that bitch. I called again at 3:20 to make sure GHII still had my name on it. Yep. I ran to get my money back from my EB pre-order, zoomed over to Target, and they wouldn't sell me the god damn thing. She had it in her hand. I was so fucking mad. Naturally, I found the clerk who said he would hold it, and gave him a verbal beating. Now I have to go back to EB and pre-order AGAIN. I called later in the day to bitch at the Target manager, and he was a real dickhead about it. fuck Target, I'm never going back. I may be overeacting, but shit, this just ruined my whole fucking weekend.

[quote name='Mattte']So is this confirmed to work with HDLoader? I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this is true.[/quote]No clue, seeing as how it's only been upped since yesterday.

Called Best Buy randomly, they said they had it, I double checked THREE times to make sure they'd sell it to me...and they tell me when I get to the store that they can't.

Why is the world collectively trying my patience with this game?

[quote name='Mattte']So is this confirmed to work with HDLoader? I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this is true.[/QUOTE]

Don't be a pirating tool. I dont give two shits about promising to buy it for the 360, downloading it and playing it now without buying the PS2 version is straight up theft.

Circuit City also had the game in stock, but the district manager vetoed any sales before the 7th. :cry:

[quote name='Logain8955']Don't be a pirating tool. I dont give two shits about promising to buy it for the 360, downloading it and playing it now without buying the PS2 version is straight up theft.[/quote] Why are you assuming he's going to pirate the game? It's not illegal to make your own backups if you own the game. Now if he's going to just download the iso, then I'll agree with you, but he didn't say that.

And somebody (not here) did confirm that the game works.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Why are you assuming he's going to pirate the game? It's not illegal to make your own backups if you own the game. Now if he's going to just download the iso, then I'll agree with you, but he didn't say that.
[/QUOTE]

He said he wouldn't buy it if it worked with the HDloader. I don't know how you could assume anything else.

[quote name='starman9000']He said he wouldn't buy it if it worked with the HDloader. I don't know how you could assume anything else.[/quote] Lots of people only play games if they're compatible with HD loader. The same way people don't like playing games on their widescreen TV's if the game don't support widescreen or progressive scan. I know I didn't buy a few games because of one of the three.

And he said he would "hold out" for the 360 version, which to me means he's going to buy it? Unless you can copy games to a harddrive for the 360.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Lots of people only play games if they're compatible with HD loader. The same way people don't like playing games on their widescreen TV's if the game don't support widescreen or progressive scan. I know I didn't buy a few games because of one of the three.
[/QUOTE]

I think you need to read what he said: "So is this confirmed to work with HDLoader? I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this is true."

If it works with HDloader he is not going to buy it for the PS2, i.e. He will bootleg it until he can buy it for the 360 instead.

[quote name='starman9000']I think you need to read what he said: "So is this confirmed to work with HDLoader? I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this is true."

If it works with HDloader he is not going to buy it for the PS2, i.e. He will bootleg it until he can buy it for the 360 instead.[/quote]
lol at this. He didn't say that he was going to bootleg. You're assuming. I already said that he said he would hold out for the 360 version, so I THINK you need to read what I said. Just because he said he'd hold out for the 360 version doesn't automatically mean he's going to bootleg. If people here hold out for price drops, why can't a person hold out for a game to come out on a system they'd rather buy it for?

Like I said one post up, people don't buy games if they aren't compatibile with HD loader or a HDD, or because the game lacks widescreen or progressive scan. I know I've done the same.

And like I said two posts back, if he was intending to bootleg, it isn't right.

Don't respond back, you're not reading what I'm saying and I don't want or need to argue over bullshit.

[quote name='starman9000']I think you need to read what he said: "So is this confirmed to work with HDLoader? I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this is true."

If it works with HDloader he is not going to buy it for the PS2, i.e. He will bootleg it until he can buy it for the 360 instead.[/quote] Damn, for some reason, I read his post as "I think I may hold until the Xbox 360 version if this isn't true."

Sorry, guys.

It might be close to done downloading. I'm not home, but I figure it should be getting there. I'll let you have my impressions. I heard the game supports 480p, has HDTV/LCD lag compensation options, and 16:9. I believe the first two more than the later though.

[quote name='Z-Saber']It might be close to done downloading. I'm not home, but I figure it should be getting there. I'll let you have my impressions. I heard the game supports 480p, has HDTV/LCD lag compensation options, and 16:9. I believe the first two more than the later though.[/QUOTE]

EGM has stated that the game supports 480p. I'll be home at around 3:30 CST so I'll letcha guys know how it is a little after then (though you prolly already know it's awesome.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back