The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, the controls are tighter on this one.
But the difficulty just ramped up. I went straight for expert (since I know the first one by heart) and even the songs in the first set (ie Woman) kicked my butt.

Also pleasant surprise, it allows widescreen and progressive scan.

Oh yeah, and the crowd calls for an encore. Awesome!

I like that they've added the breakdown stats to the career mode so you can see how you did, how many SP phrases you completed, avg. multiplier, and how well you did in each section of the song. I also like how they've added the band sign-in to just the career mode since it was useless for anything else in GH.

I finally have my copy, very happy day indeed. :)

I went to Target around 8am, but the manager working could not find the game or the SKU number to even assist finding it. Blah.

Ended up driving to TRU in morning traffic and got the bundle.

I'm loving it so far. I'm on the fourth tier of songs and I hope to get some more play time in before I have to go to work.

The tiers are kind of weird this time around. I just finished "Cherry Pie" and it's almost like the "I Love Rock N' Roll" of GH 2. Whereas a song like Wolf Mother's, which I thought was harder, is in the first tier.

Yeah, I think some of songs in the lower tiers are really easy, and some of the earlier ones are harder. Ah well.

Picked it up at BB. Of course, I already had it, so it's not like it means too much or anything. I do like the new guitar though. The buttons are way better.

EDIT: My last.fm sig thingy screams GH.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Yeah, I think some of songs in the lower tiers are really easy, and some of the earlier ones are harder. Ah well.

Picked it up at BB. Of course, I already had it, so it's not like it means too much or anything. I do like the new guitar though. The buttons are way better.

EDIT: My last.fm sig thingy screams GH.[/QUOTE]

Is the GH2 game sealed in the bundle?

Oh God, I love this. My first real roadblock on Expert was Freya, but I finally managed to get it donw (thank you, Practice Mode). I jsut beat Crazy on You, and now I need to finish up that set.

Multiplayer, as expected, is AWESOME.

It's BS that I'm going to have to play on lower difficulties to unlock some guitars, though. Worst idea ever.

Picked this up today, playing through on medium now just to get it out of the way.

Unfortunately when I pick progressive scan mode it shifts the picture up, and it's kinda annoying. Too bad there's no screen position adjust.

Oh well, this game is awesome.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Oh God, I love this. My first real roadblock on Expert was Freya, but I finally managed to get it donw (thank you, Practice Mode). I jsut beat Crazy on You, and now I need to finish up that set.

Multiplayer, as expected, is AWESOME.

It's BS that I'm going to have to play on lower difficulties to unlock some guitars, though. Worst idea ever.[/quote]
It's a good incentive to work your way up through the difficulties.

I just got my first encore. :D

Phew, just beat all the main songs except Free Bird on Expert in one sitting (standing?). I think it might be time for a little break.

I had the inside of my right elbow tattooed today, and now I need to relax bending it for a week to let it heal.

Do you KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Again...sumbitch.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Oh God, I love this. My first real roadblock on Expert was Freya, but I finally managed to get it donw (thank you, Practice Mode). I jsut beat Crazy on You, and now I need to finish up that set.
[/QUOTE]
I love this game and everything, but Freya can go to hell.

Well, the wait was killing me, so I skipped last period to play GHII today. Me and my bud spent about 8 hours playing this damn game. Finished career on expert, unlocked all characters, a buncha guitars, all the bonus songs, the extra videos, and a few basses. I love this game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's a good incentive to work your way up through the difficulties.

I just got my first encore. :D[/QUOTE]

I think it's stupid they would do that, when they know how many people out there will be playing on Expert since they rocked the last one.

[quote name='CokeCola']I love this game and everything, but Freya can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

Freya was pretty difficult for a song in the fourth set, but it's a good song overall.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I think it's stupid they would do that, when they know how many people out there will be playing on Expert since they rocked the last one.[/quote]
And there's a lot of people who aren't experts and will appreciate that they actually get some reason to go through the easy difficulty and learn the songs and get better.

[quote name='mykevermin']I had the inside of my right elbow tattooed today, and now I need to relax bending it for a week to let it heal.

Do you KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Again...sumbitch.[/quote]
What's next? Are you gonna just break the arm? :lol:

[quote name='Blind the Thief']
It's BS that I'm going to have to play on lower difficulties to unlock some guitars, though. Worst idea ever.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I can understand why Red Octane did this...but yea, terrible idea.

I just tried "Shout at the Devil" on Easy, just to see how many songs I would have to do on Easy. Unfortunely the number was 28.

What difficulty is everyone starting on? I started on Hard and I'm having trouble with a couple of the songs on tier 6.

My fingertips hurt.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What's next? Are you gonna just break the arm? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think it's more likely that I'll find out that my itinerary for the day involves an appointment to lay down in front of a moving car with both arms outstretched. I hate breaking appointments, you know.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think it's more likely that I'll find out that my itinerary for the day involves an appointment to lay down in front of a moving car with both arms outstretched. I hate breaking appointments, you know.[/QUOTE]
Either one works. :lol:

Tonight Im gonna rock you tonight is fun. Loving that song.
The Buckethead track Jordan sucks ass.
Oh yeah...Thunderhorse...bass track....oh man my hands are going to fall off.

Anybody have a problem with a squeaky wammy bar? The wammy bar on the included guitar controller squeaks and it's really annoying. I don't have this problem with my old guitar controller. I don't feel like packing everything back up and taking it all back to Best Buy. Any ideas on an easy fix? Would WD40 be safe to use?

Just got mine last night as well. I started on Medium and figured I'd work my way up to hard since I heard this one is more difficult, BUT... after one song it was too slow/boring so I had to go Hard.

I'm on the fourth tier now and I have a feeling when I get to around tier 6 or so I'm going to hit a roadblock and have to go through all of Medium just to unlock the songs for Coop and QuickPlay modes :(

Picked up my preorder from best buy yesterday and started on expert with my roommates. We are currently stuck on the sixth tier. The game is awesome though. Definitely harder than the first one.

Anyone see the new cherry guitar for sale separately yet, or is it even available? I need another guitar and would really prefer to get the new model rather than another one of the old ones.

[quote name='gofishn']Anyone see the new cherry guitar for sale separately yet, or is it even available?[/QUOTE]

Nope. But seeing how the first black/white SG was available a while after the bundle was released, I don't think its crazy to think they might do the same with the red one.

There's also a Red Octane wireless guitar, but I haven't talked to anyone that has gotten it yet.

Damn you "Freebird". Last song I need to beat on Hard. I got to 90% and then it ate me alive.

Anyone else think the Lamb of God cover is just downright terrible?

Is the GH2 guitar, aside from the improvements made to it, aesthetically identical to the limited Cherry Red SG Red Octane was selling online a year ago?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Oh god.. my wrist.... it hurts so bad... curse you Guitar Hero II![/quote]Combine this with achy joints from working and you have a sore week for me.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I got my ScoreHero sig working. :D I can't believe I'm ranked so high on easy.[/quote]Probably because no one is bothering to play Easy right now since they want to have fun and unlock crap later.
[quote name='mykevermin']Is the GH2 guitar, aside from the improvements made to it, aesthetically identical to the limited Cherry Red SG Red Octane was selling online a year ago?[/quote]I have the original Cherry Red SG. It's close, but there are a few differences. I'm at school so this is all from memory.

The new guitar isn't shiny, or at least less shiny. The color is close, but... well crap, I can't remember if it's deeper or brighter. Basically, you can tell them apart, but they are generally the same color, just different shades. The buttons are raised and more... mushy, less clicky. The entire guitar (frets, buttons, and body) has a different finish and feel (as in rubbing your finger along the surface, not generally playing feel). The plug is also hard to push into the PS2, meaning it's equally hard to pull out accidentally or on purpose. It also has a... well, I don't know how to describe it, but the cord coming out of the guitar has a little thing on it. I might take a picture later. It looks cooler, but I couldn't really say what it is. It's like a thing that prevents the cord from shorting by being pulled too much at an angle, sorta like what's on certain AC adapters and such.

I tried the new guitar with Hangar 18. I four-starred it again, but don't think I did any better. I will say I think the buttons feel a ton better. My only complaint is the whammy bar. Yes, it is a lot tighter, and will probably stay that way for a while, but it doesn't have great depth. With the original guitars, you could lower the notes really far without a lot of effort, but with this, it takes a lot more to get it to work at all. It's still better I think, but just different to me for now.

I'm going to go for some better star ratings, and see if I can nail those last few bonus songs. Jordan (as Tanuki witnessed briefly in the chatroom) whooped me from the get-go.

There is another difference I've noticed and it's pretty significant, at least for me. It's a lot easier to accidentally (or purposely) activate your star power. This really sucks for me because I like to move around a little when I play and get into the music and I find myself turning my star power on all the time when I don't want to...that kind of sucks.

Anyway, does anyone know the speed code? Sorry if this has been asked already. I'm just curious to see how it works.

As for the game, I passed everything on Expert yesterday except the bonus songs. The only songs I had problems passing the first time were that song by The Living End (I failed right in the beginning), Hangar 18, and Freebird. The game is harder overall though.

Beast and the Harlot has been stuck in my head all day. I barely got past the last tier last night on expert, so I wanna start trying to get some higher scores.

With the talk of a GH1 re-release, I made a post about it in the official GH forum:

Maybe they could re-release it with new stuff as a Greatest Hits title? Devil May Cry 3 and Midnight Club 3 both had additional features/changes when they became Greatest Hits titles, so it's not unprecedented. Here's what I would add:

1. HO/PO system from GH2.

2. Characters, costumes, and characters from GH2.

3. Unified unlock shop from GH2.

4. Make Trippolette and Graveyard Shift playable, if possible.

5. Face-off mode with different difficulties for each player.

6. Pro face-off mode.

7. HD Lag option.

8. GH1 saves automatically unlocks songs, characters, etc. that you already unlocked. Scores also show up, if possible.

9. Gold stars when you 100% songs.

10. Practice mode.

11. Make the keyboardist and bassist heroes.

12. "Arrange" mode for all the songs where parts that maybe weren't HO/PO before are now, maybe notes are changed based on possible inaccuracies, new star power placements, and three-note chords. The version can be selected before each song, except in career mode.

13. Co-op, if possible.

14. Generally improved graphics, including HD and widescreen support.

15. 4 separate career modes: Original, Original Arrange, New, and New Arrange. The New career mode will use some of GH2's venues, the encore system, etc. The Arrange option will, in addition to changing the songs slightly, may change their tiers, and may even make the bonus songs part of the career mode. The unlock shop will be unified across all four versions.

16. Improved sound.

17. Maybe rerecord some of the covers, or at least some of the vocals, if possible.

18. 10-20 new bonus tracks, if possible

[quote name='Z-Saber']Probably because no one is bothering to play Easy right now since they want to have fun and unlock crap later.[/QUOTE]
Excuse me for trying to get used to the songs first before challenging myself.

Another great addition. When in quick play, if you've entered your name once onto one of the high scores, it'll come up for you automatically when you complete successive songs. That's nice because it's time-consuming to keep re-entering it after every song.

Edit: It seems to remember your name even if you exit the quick play menu.

[quote name='Strell']No, evanft.

These fuckers are killing my wallet enough as is that I don't need another reason to buy GH1 again. :([/quote]

You'd so fucking buy it for $20, though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Excuse me for trying to get used to the songs first before challenging myself.
[/QUOTE]

I played through the "Easy" setting in Career Mode on the first GH game. At the time I was still getting used to the mechanics of the game as well as the songs.

I'm trying to grind through "Easy" so that I can unlock more guitars, but I find with the new songs, they are much much longer than the original GH songs as a whole, which makes the experience even more excruciating

[quote name='evanft']

13. Co-op, if possible.

14. Generally improved graphics, including HD and widescreen support.

16. Improved sound.

17. Maybe rerecord some of the covers, or at least some of the vocals, if possible.

18. 10-20 new bonus tracks, if possible[/QUOTE]

You basically want them to make a whole new GH game with the same songs as the first one (plus new songs).

[quote name='Backlash']You basically want them to make a whole new GH game with the same songs as the first one (plus new songs).[/QUOTE]

See that little "if possible" in most of those? Yeah.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Excuse me for trying to get used to the songs first before challenging myself.

Another great addition. When in quick play, if you've entered your name once onto one of the high scores, it'll come up for you automatically when you complete successive songs. That's nice because it's time-consuming to keep re-entering it after every song.

Edit: It seems to remember your name even if you exit the quick play menu.[/quote]I didn't mean that in a condescending way. It's just the truth. Hardcore GH fans want to challenge themselves from the start and are worrying about scoring perfectly on Easy later.

Also, I haven't played Quick Play yet, but that was a huge gripe from the first one. Glad they fixed it.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']How did you get that sig to work? Is there a FAQ page?[/QUOTE]
I'll see if I can simplify this:

If you have contribution points (w/GHII and a digital camera, it's easy right now), you just buy the upgrade in their store. That lets you use the sig image that I'm using right now.

If you have all of that, then you just insert this

Replace your user ID number, which you can find by clicking on your username on the homepage just after you make a submission, with X and the difficulty you want to link to for Y (1=easy, 2=medium, 3=hard, 4=expert).

That's about the jist of it. If you're having any trouble let me know or consult their boards as they have a topic or two on the subject.

On another subject, I was surprised that YYZ was easier (got a 5) than the other songs in its set (4's and 3's) on medium.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'll see if I can simplify this:

If you have contribution points (w/GHII and a digital camera, it's easy right now), you just buy the upgrade in their store. That lets you use the sig image that I'm using right now.

If you have all of that, then you just insert this

Replace your user ID number, which you can find by clicking on your username on the homepage just after you make a submission, with X and the difficulty you want to link to for Y (1=easy, 2=medium, 3=hard, 4=expert).

That's about the jist of it. If you're having any trouble let me know or consult their boards as they have a topic or two on the subject.

On another subject, I was surprised that YYZ was easier (got a 5) than the other songs in its set (4's and 3's) on medium.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I don't have a camera, but I can borrow my girlfriend's soon. In other news, I five starred Beast and the Harlot on Expert. This game fucking owns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back