The Official "Is it worth getting?" thread

chronoserge456

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I thought this thread might be a good idea since there are CAG'ers who are wondering if they should bite the bullet on some deals. There are things to help such as VGPC, but overall if the CAG'ers in here give a general say on whether it's worth it or not, that would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had one in mind. There is the guy I stumbled upon who is selling the following games for $50:

- NES -
Arch Rivals
Bases Loaded
Circus Caper
Double Dragon
Double Dragon III
Football - Play Action
Golf
Heavy Shreddin'
Jeopardy
NES Open - Golf
Metal Gear
MTV Remote Control
Wheel of Fortune
Wayne Gretzky Hockey

- SNES -
Addams Family
Lethal Enforcers
Madden '96
NBA Live '96
Secret of Mana
Stanley Cup
Star Fox
Super Mario World
Olympic Games - Winter
Wrestlemania - The Arcade Game
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

What caught my eye was the Double Dragon's for NES and the Mana, Starfox, and Zelda for the SNES. What do you guys think?

What's the going rate for a used DS? I can get a DS in "great" condition with Metroid and Mario Cart for $30 which seems like a good deal....

[quote name='Collectorguy00']What's the going rate for a used DS? I can get a DS in "great" condition with Metroid and Mario Cart for $30 which seems like a good deal....[/QUOTE]

I'd say thats a good deal.

Craigslist ad for FFIX and X-Men vs Street Fighter 10 bucks each. About a 40 min drive. I feel like I should bite the bullet, but I'm hesitating.

Dunno if it is worth the drive. FF9 goes for $15 on Amazon with FS, but if you really want X-Men vs Street Fighter then you should consider it.

Somebody wants to trade me a sealed copy of Super Castlevania IV, a KH guide, some Halo freebies (not a halo fan, really) and $20 to get a pandora battery all for my PSP and games/UMDs. I was told Super Castlevania IV goes for up to $175 sealed, but looking at the ended auctions on Ebay, it only showed around the $60s for it...

[quote name='punkmaggit']What do you guys think: a modded Xbox 360 w/controller no hard drive for $80?[/QUOTE]

it is probably banned.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Somebody wants to trade me a sealed copy of Super Castlevania IV, a KH guide, some Halo freebies (not a halo fan, really) and $20 to get a pandora battery all for my PSP and games/UMDs. I was told Super Castlevania IV goes for up to $175 sealed, but looking at the ended auctions on Ebay, it only showed around the $60s for it...[/QUOTE]

Depends on what games you have..can you list what you're trading for that?

[quote name='punkmaggit']I could care less.[/QUOTE]
$60.. tell the person that its probably a banned 360 so you wont get much for it and youre giving them a favor. then pull out your wallet if he agrees and pretend you only have $50 and you used $10 for gas. works everytime.

[quote name='chronoserge456']Depends on what games you have..can you list what you're trading for that?[/QUOTE]

Honestly nothing special. My friend bought three games and gave em to me since he didn't have a PSP anymore, and the good games I had (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Etc) I sold to somebody else. I found somebody local who is interested, so I might take that route.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Honestly nothing special. My friend bought three games and gave em to me since he didn't have a PSP anymore, and the good games I had (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Etc) I sold to somebody else. I found somebody local who is interested, so I might take that route.[/QUOTE]

I feel like if it's something that you can replace and is common to find, it's worth it. Especially if you don't play them/not worth anything, I would strike. Unless it has some sentimental friendship value lol

[quote name='chronoserge456']I feel like if it's something that you can replace and is common to find, it's worth it. Especially if you don't play them/not worth anything, I would strike. Unless it has some sentimental friendship value lol[/QUOTE]

I'm actually possibly gonna get about $130 local for my PSP pack, so I probably won't take the Super Castlevania offer. It just doesn't seem like it's worth it, honestly. I'm a little bit of a collector, but I have my limits :D Thanks dude!

[quote name='Vulgarism']I'm actually possibly gonna get about $130 local for my PSP pack, so I probably won't take the Super Castlevania offer. It just doesn't seem like it's worth it, honestly. I'm a little bit of a collector, but I have my limits :D Thanks dude![/QUOTE]

OHHHHH it was PSP also? Shoulda read more carefully. I thought it was just the games only. Yeah I would definitely have told you to not do it. Best of luck with that good sale you're doing!

[quote name='phear3d']$60.. tell the person that its probably a banned 360 so you wont get much for it and youre giving them a favor. then pull out your wallet if he agrees and pretend you only have $50 and you used $10 for gas. works everytime.[/QUOTE]

The guy selling it already knows that it won't connect to Live, but I'll try the infamous CiF technique and see if that works. Thanks Phear.

$330 for the following

Red Xbox 360 elite with 120GB HDD and controller
Halo ODST
CoD MW2
Gears of War 2

All complete

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='punkmaggit']The guy selling it already knows that it won't connect to Live, but I'll try the infamous CiF technique and see if that works. Thanks Phear.[/QUOTE]

It is not just you cant connect to live. Your profile is corrupted on a banned system, meaning you you can't install game to harddrive, and you can get achievement

[quote name='62t']It is not just you cant connect to live. Your profile is corrupted on a banned system, meaning you you can't install game to harddrive, and you can get achievement[/QUOTE]

Can you stream media from your PC to it? If so, it's not a bad pickup for a spare bedroom/TV media player.

75$ for:

SNES with 3 controllers and games (all cart-only):

Super Metroid
Alien 3
Mortal Kombat 2
breath of fire 2
nhl97
nhl stanley cup
starfox
empire strikes back
demon's crest
cybernator
knights of the round
zelda a link to the past (french version)

[quote name='NaturalHatTrick']75$ for: SNES with 3 controllers and games (all cart-only):[/QUOTE]Breath of Fire II and Super Metriod both go over 25 bucks on eBay pretty regularly so if you're wanting those two games I would strike.

[quote name='NaturalHatTrick']75$ for:

Super Metroid
Alien 3
Mortal Kombat 2
breath of fire 2
nhl97
nhl stanley cup
starfox
empire strikes back
demon's crest
cybernator
knights of the round
zelda a link to the past (french version)[/QUOTE]

demon's crest is a pretty fun little action/rpg game. along with super metroid and BoF, i'd say its worth it. The games will definitely give you at least a few weekends worth of entertainment.

[quote name='chronoserge456']Someone is selling a FF Import Collection with 5/6/7/8/9/10/10-2 for 75. Is it worth getting and should I try bumping it down?[/QUOTE]
Damn, alll imports? I'd say buy it now.

[quote name='NaturalHatTrick']75$ for:

Super Metroid
Alien 3
Mortal Kombat 2
breath of fire 2
nhl97
nhl stanley cup
starfox
empire strikes back
demon's crest
cybernator
knights of the round
zelda a link to the past (french version)[/QUOTE]

Got him down to 60 on this one, worth biting on now? I don't have any of those games and yeah, Super Metroid, Breath of Fire 2 and Demon's Crest are definitely the ones I'd be looking forward to the most.

[quote name='darkslime']Chronoserge they're worth it if you can read Japanese and want tO play them, not if you want to resell.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I thought they would be good in resell value, but I guess it makes sense that the American ones would be more expensive in America haha

[quote name='chronoserge456']Damn, I thought they would be good in resell value, but I guess it makes sense that the American ones would be more expensive in America haha[/QUOTE]

those games are a lot more popular in Japan and they printed a lot more copies. Even in Japan they dont go for much

[quote name='chronoserge456']Someone is trying to sell Chrono Trigger, FF2+3, and Actraiser 1+2 for 60. They want to meet by 8. Worth it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah. (At least SNES version of all those games would be.)

Came across another deal for the following:

Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Gauntlet Legends, and MK4 - $15
Shining Force II (Genesis) and King's Bounty - $10

I have no idea if they're CIB or if it's just cartridge only . Worth it?

[quote name='chronoserge456']Came across another deal for the following:

Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Gauntlet Legends, and MK4 - $15
Shining Force II (Genesis) and King's Bounty - $10

I have no idea if they're CIB or if it's just cartridge only . Worth it?[/QUOTE]

Yes on all!

[quote name='Pecan']Local walmart has had 3 sealed fallout 3 lunchboxes for ever now. Worth getting yet for $40 each?[/QUOTE]

I think most people heave moved on to other games and/or want the GotY edition.... I would pass. (Unless you want one for yourself.)

[quote name='Pecan']Local walmart has had 3 sealed fallout 3 lunchboxes for ever now. Worth getting yet for $40 each?[/QUOTE]

FLOL, I got a bunch of those for $15 each + tax when Circuit City was in its final week(s) of clearance. They had a few left at one location, not in the game section, I guess people there had no clue what they were. I ended up with getting them for 75% off the clearance start price of $60, since the liquidator started the clearance prices on all limited/collector's editions at the same msrp as the regular editions.

Definitely not worth the $40 unless you break open the case and sell the pieces individually.

bread's done
Back