The Official Post Your Desktop Thread

[quote name='smalien1']How do you takes screens on OS X?
I saw two people had them[/QUOTE]

To capture the entire screen press apple-shift-3.
To capture a certain region or area press apple-shift-4

i know the proper button name is "command" but i like to call it apple.

[quote name='smalien1']How do you takes screens on OS X?
I saw two people had them[/QUOTE]

Hold SHIFT + COMMAND (Apple Key) and press 3.

[quote name='DT778']
I'll clean it up next week when finals are over.[/QUOTE]

Wow. The only icon on my desktop is the recycle bin, and it's not even labeled. :lol:

I used to have 0 icons on my desktop and put everything in a folder on my taskbar... It was clean, but a bitch to open 16 sub menus everytime I wanted something... and there was no pic preview.

Here's my current one...

although, I had a War of Genesis III desktop previously.

It's a good thing since someone already posted the Magna Carta desktop

[quote name='Kayden']I used to have 0 icons on my desktop and put everything in a folder on my taskbar... It was clean, but a bitch to open 16 sub menus everytime I wanted something... and there was no pic preview.[/QUOTE]

XP's recent programs are my friend:

That's pretty much all I use.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']XP's recent programs are my friend:

That's pretty much all I use.[/QUOTE]

All the programs I use are in the quick launch at the bottom of the screen. I hate scrolling menus :bomb:

[quote name='jaykrue']All the programs I use are in the quick launch at the bottom of the screen. I hate scrolling menus :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Mine too.

[quote name='jaykrue']All the programs I use are in the quick launch at the bottom of the screen. I hate scrolling menus :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I don't like those. I like having as little visible as possible. That's why my taskbar and winamp auto hide, and trillian and winamp are transparent. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I don't like those. I like having as little visible as possible. That's why my taskbar and winamp auto hide, and trillian and winamp are transparent. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree about the visibility thing but I still need my essentials and auto hide takes forever for me (yeah I know it's only a couple seconds but that's a couple too many). The only allowables on the desktop for me are My Computer, Net Hood, and Recycle Bin. The folder is a current necessity due to work so I need it accessible and the image was the one I just took of the desktop (otherwise it wouldnt' be there).

[quote name='jaykrue']Yeah, I agree about the visibility thing but I still need my essentials and auto hide takes forever for me (yeah I know it's only a couple seconds but that's a couple too many). The only allowables on the desktop for me are My Computer, Net Hood, and Recycle Bin. The folder is a current necessity due to work so I need it accessible and the image was the one I just took of the desktop (otherwise it wouldnt' be there).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to upgrade your system if that's the case. :lol:

Oh yeah, and I usually have trillian hidden too ... so looking at my screen normally all you'd see is the unlabeled recycle bin in the upper right corner and the version info in the bottom right (which I'm not even sure why I have that on there ...). Clean. :cool:

[quote name='jaykrue']Yeah, I agree about the visibility thing but I still need my essentials and auto hide takes forever for me (yeah I know it's only a couple seconds but that's a couple too many). The only allowables on the desktop for me are My Computer, Net Hood, and Recycle Bin. The folder is a current necessity due to work so I need it accessible and the image was the one I just took of the desktop (otherwise it wouldnt' be there).[/QUOTE]
Normally, all I want are My Computer, Armored Core and Recylce bin. As you can see, that changed. :lol: Armored core, in case anyone was wondering (and you were,) is the main folder where I keep all my stuff. No "My Documents" for Tip.

I usually navigate with my keyboard anyway, so I really don't need many icons. I'm old school, I guess- Alt+Tab, Alt+F4, Tab, ect.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Sounds like you need to upgrade your system if that's the case. :lol:

Oh yeah, and I usually have trillian hidden too ... so looking at my screen normally all you'd see is the unlabeled recycle bin in the upper right corner and the version info in the bottom right. Clean. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Well, call me an old fart but WinXP doesn't seem to play very nicely for a lot of ppl I know so I'll stick to win2kpro if and when XP decides to play nice (or whenever there's a new service pack that fixes some stuff and doesn't crash the other half).

[quote name='Tiphireth']Normally, all I want are My Computer, Armored Core and Recylce bin. As you can see, that changed. :lol: Armored core, in case anyone was wondering (and you were,) is the main folder where I keep all my stuff. No "My Documents" for Tip.

I usually navigate with my keyboard anyway, so I really don't need many icons. I'm old school, I guess- Alt+Tab, Alt+F4, Tab, ect.[/QUOTE]

Only time I'm alt-tabbing is when using photoshop and dreamweaver while surfing CAG ;)

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, call me an old fart but WinXP doesn't seem to play very nicely for a lot of ppl I know so I'll stick to win2kpro if and when XP decides to play nice (or whenever there's a new service pack that fixes some stuff and doesn't crash the other half).[/QUOTE]

I never upgraded to SP2, for many reasons which I can't arsed to tell you. I went with XP Pro because of it's looks, primarily, and a few extra features. I still have windows 2k Pro on my other partition.

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, call me an old fart but WinXP doesn't seem to play very nicely for a lot of ppl I know so I'll stick to win2kpro if and when XP decides to play nice (or whenever there's a new service pack that fixes some stuff and doesn't crash the other half).[/QUOTE]

I've never had any problems but maybe I'm the exception. Actually I finally decided to go to XP because A) we had 10 licenses laying around unused and B) 2K was acting like a little bitch. :lol:

I went to SP2 as soon as it was available (early August) and never had a single problem with it.

[quote name='jaykrue']Only time I'm alt-tabbing is when using photoshop and dreamweaver while surfing CAG ;)[/QUOTE]

My most used non-alphanumeric program keys are Tab, Shift, Alt, Home, End, Pageup and Pagedown. Enter and space don't apply.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I've never had any problems but maybe I'm the exception. Actually I finally decided to go to XP because A) we had 10 licenses laying around unused and B) 2K was acting like a little bitch. :lol:

I went to SP2 as soon as it was available (early August) and never had a single problem with it.[/QUOTE]

Really? win2k has only given me 1 BSD ever. In contrast, my acquiantances report XP crashes of a range from 2-5 and that's 2-5 too many.

[quote name='Tiphireth']My most used non-alphanumeric program keys are Tab, Shift, Alt, Home, End, Pageup and Pagedown. Enter and space don't apply.[/QUOTE]

Damn, you must be the shortcut king.

[quote name='jaykrue']Really? win2k has only given me 1 BSD ever. In contrast, my acquiantances report XP crashes of a range from 2-5 and that's 2-5 too many.[/QUOTE]

My computer was new, and Win 2k gave me three BSDs in two months. And one really bad crash whilst my sister was playing The Sims. WinXp=Perfect.

[quote name='jaykrue']Damn, you must be the shortcut king.[/QUOTE]

If only I had a key for returning to the "Cheap Ass Lifestyle & Off Topic Page", I'd be set, no mouse needed. :lol:

Home and End are real useful for threads, especially long ones so you can see the latest post.

[quote name='Tiphireth']My computer was new, and Win 2k gave me three BSDs in two months. And one really bad crash whilst my sister was playing The Sims. WinXp=Perfect.[/QUOTE]

What dimension do you and sub live cuz I wanna move there since my experience has been the total opposite.

[quote name='jaykrue']What dimension do you and sub live cuz I wanna move there since my experience has been the total opposite.[/QUOTE]

Our 1337ness is unquestionable.

[quote name='Tiphireth']If only I had a key for returning to the "Cheap Ass Lifestyle & Off Topic Page", I'd be set, no mouse needed. :lol:

Home and End are real useful for threads, especially long ones so you can see the latest post.[/QUOTE]

My keyboard (a logitech mx duo) allows key binding and I can set websites to specific F-keys. Incidentally, CAG is set to my F3 key.

[quote name='jaykrue']Really? win2k has only given me 1 BSD ever. In contrast, my acquiantances report XP crashes of a range from 2-5 and that's 2-5 too many.[/QUOTE]

I can't really remember what the problems were, it's been a long time. I do know they were constant, but I don't think I ever got a BSD.

[quote name='jaykrue']My keyboard (a logitech mx duo) allows key binding and I can set websites to specific F-keys. Incidentally, CAG is set to my F3 key.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if mine will "Key Bind". My most used F-key is F5, or refresh.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Our 1337ness is unquestionable.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

[quote name='jaykrue']My keyboard (a logitech mx duo) allows key binding and I can set websites to specific F-keys. Incidentally, CAG is set to my F3 key.[/QUOTE]

I have a logitech elite, but I don't take advantage of the functionality. When I want to go to CAG I have to point my mouse to the top of the screen, click on start, click on firefox, and then type "cag" into the address bar. I could go through the bookmarks menu, but I don't.

Believe it or not, there is no manufacturer name on my keyboard. There are no distinguishing marks except for a raised piece at the top that has music/web/volume buttons on it. Odd. :whistle2:s

[quote name='Tiphireth']I wonder if mine will "Key Bind". My most used F-key is F5, or refresh.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit I'm a logitech fan boy but their stuff is pretty damn good. There's a button on the keyboard (called F-lock) that acts like a sort-of 'shift' button for F-keys and I just press F-lock to switch to the normal/alternate F keys. It's sooo quick. Since you're into the shortcuts you might wanna check one out. I think the mx duo is going for $30 right now at tigerdirect.

[quote name='jaykrue']I'll admit I'm a logitech fan boy but their stuff is pretty damn good. There's a button on the keyboard (called F-lock) that acts like a sort-of 'shift' button for F-keys and I just press F-lock to switch to the normal/alternate F keys. It's sooo quick. Since you're into the shortcuts you might wanna check one out. I think the mx duo is going for $30 right now at tigerdirect.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I might.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I have a logitech elite, but I don't take advantage of the functionality. When I want to go to CAG I have to point my mouse to the top of the screen, click on start, click on firefox, and then type "cag" into the address bar. I could go through the bookmarks menu, but I don't.[/QUOTE]

See, that takes too long for me. I need to be at whatever program I need to use instantly. I'm the kind of person that thinks 1 minute for buttered popcorn is 59 seconds too long. There's a bindable 'home' key on that keyboard IIRC that you can set anything to (programs, websites, etc.). You might wanna set CAG as that.

[quote name='jaykrue']See, that takes too long for me. I need to be at whatever program I need to use instantly. I'm the kind of person that thinks 1 minute for buttered popcorn is 59 seconds too long. There's a bindable 'home' key on that keyboard IIRC that you can set anything to (programs, websites, etc.). You might wanna set CAG as that.[/QUOTE]

I could, but then I'd have to get used to pushing buttons that I haven't touched since I built my computer over a year and a half ago. :lol:

I never even bothered to install the software for the keyboard (or my mx700) after the first 2K run. (there were several :cry: )

EDIT: Damn, a year and a half, is that right? It seems like it's been much longer ...

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I could, but then I'd have to get used to pushing buttons that I haven't touched since I built my computer over a year and a half ago. :lol:

I never even bothered to install the software for the keyboard (or my mx700) after the first 2K run. (there were several :cry: )

EDIT: Damn, a year and a half, is that right? It seems like it's been much longer ...[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't be afraid of pressing new buttons. It's not like they'll explode or anything... or will they? ;)

[quote name='jaykrue']Oh, don't be afraid of pressing new buttons. It's not like they'll explode or anything... or will they? ;)[/QUOTE]

Who knows? I certainly don't. In fact I don't use the media controls or the scroll wheel either. The only F key that I use is 5. I'm definitely getting the most out of this keyboard. ;) :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Who knows? I certainly don't. In fact I don't use the media controls or the scroll wheel either. The only F key that I use is 5. I'm definitely getting the most out of this keyboard. ;) :lol:[/QUOTE]

Heh, well, if you're not, there's a CAG *cough*Tiphireth*cough* who might be interested in your keyboard... provided it's not sticky from staring at Michele Trachtenberg or Scarlett Johannson :D:bouncy:

[quote name='jaykrue']Heh, well, if you're not, there's a CAG *cough*Tiphireth*cough* who might be interested in your keyboard... provided it's not sticky from staring at Michele Trachtenberg or Scarlett Johannson :D:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I don't have a spare black keyboard lying around that I could use so that really isn't an option. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']Heh, well, if you're not, there's a CAG *cough*Tiphireth*cough* who might be interested in your keyboard... provided it's not sticky from staring at Michele Trachtenberg or Scarlett Johannson :D:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? I'd be honored to have the spooge encrusted key.. wait, ew, no.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Are you kidding? I'd be honored to have the spooge encrusted key.. wait, ew, no.[/QUOTE]

Hey, when sub's becomes a rich and famous celeb, you'll regret not having his spooge on your keyboard. Think about it, you could sell it on Ebay for millions! ;)

[quote name='jaykrue']Hey, when sub's becomes a rich and famous celeb, you'll regret not having his spooge on your keyboard. Think about it, you could sell it on Ebay for millions! ;)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.. :whistle2:k

No. :D

Hey, what Firefox theme do you guys use?

[quote name='Tiphireth']Hey, what Firefox theme do you guys use?[/QUOTE]

Only one I use is FirefoxModern. It's pretty slick lookin'. :cool:

bread's done
Back