The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='The Mana Knight']And there's a pretty good reason why PS3 can't currently do it:
http://www.innerbits.com/blog/2007/09/13/how-to-address-the-memory-issues-on-the-ps3/

It all has to do with RAM issues. The XMB eats up too much RAM currently to efficiently do it. Right now, it's up to the developers to implement it. It's like trying to fit a large elephant into a tiny box. If there's not enough RAM currently to access the XMB to do stuff, then it can't be done. It has nothing to do with PS3 being out a year. That's all there is to it and that's why I want everyone to shut up about it (it's been mentioned over and over again, which is why Eric Lempel once said he understands people want this and it's being worked on "please understand that we hear this request and are working toward a solution. When I have some more info to share on this, know that I will do so here on this blog.", which means they are still trying to reduce the RAM the XMB uses up to hopefully implement it one day). The 360 doesn't have this problem because it has 512MB main memory, MS is a software company afterall, and their design is far from eating much memory up. Unfortunately, Sony can't just kill off PS3 and start all over again, with a console containing more RAM in order to do this stuff.

Cross game invite will never directly happen, since PS3 was never designed to do that in the first place (many games use a different invite system and that would conflict). If certain games now don't have invites (like Warhawk, Full Auto 2, etc.), then there's no way they can have invites in the future regardless (Future games might be able to). Accessing messages is a different story because they can be done (but not until there's sufficient memory).

By the way things seem, in-game messaging won't be a top priority, after looking at the recent G.A.P. poll:
-In-game access to PSN messaging
45% (620 votes)

-Ability to play my own music from the XMB while in-game
51% (710 votes)

-Larger buddy list and buddy-list features such as categorizing
4% (58 votes)[/QUOTE]
I honestly want to strangle you more and more each day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VszZ_63Ap8I

What's this? A Pre-launch PS3 video with in-game XMB? Say it isn't so!

Edit: And before you reply claiming that the video shows a XMB with less functionality, I'd like to point out that a limited XMB is all we want. No one needs to pull up a movie in the middle of the game, we want basic features like a universal friends list and access to our music. I don't care what some bullshit poll by a bunch of Sony nuts says, there are tons of people who want this. Sony has the ability to do so and they haven't done it yet.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']damn thing is fuggin slow, never have I stared at 0% so intently so as to be excited by seeing it 1% :lol:[/QUOTE]

lol i did the same thing.. now im stuck on 16%... come on 17!!!

[quote name='ighosty']Is there anyway to get other themes or is there just one for now?[/quote]

For now, only one available from Sony, but seeing the install option under the theme menu makes me think there could be 3rd party XMBs as well in the future.

What I don't understand is how there is enough memory to be notified I got a message, but not read and reply.

When they say there is 256 for games and 256 for the system, does that mean I'm using one at a time? As in, 256 when I'm playing a game and the other half when I'm in XMB? Confusing shit.

Ooookie dokie. Finally updated both my PS3 and PSP, and this remote play thing is kick ass.

I do notice that streaming movies/videos through remote play leaves something to be desired though. The audio tends to skip and video freezes for a sec once in a while. Is that just natural or should I be customizing my network connections so that I can minimize/remove the skipping/delays? I connect via Private Network, dunno if that's why.

Either way, this kicks butt ;O

I also hope to be able to create my own XMB layout/setup through some XMB design kit or whatnot, or hopefully a lot of kickarse 3rd party XMB designs.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Ooookie dokie. Finally updated both my PS3 and PSP, and this remote play thing is kick ass.

I do notice that streaming movies/videos through remote play leaves something to be desired though. The audio tends to skip and video freezes for a sec once in a while. Is that just natural or should I be customizing my network connections so that I can minimize/remove the skipping/delays? I connect via Private Network, dunno if that's why.

Either way, this kicks butt ;O

I also hope to be able to create my own XMB layout/setup through some XMB design kit or whatnot, or hopefully a lot of kickarse 3rd party XMB designs.[/quote]

I think you can tweak the PSP's settings to allow for better streaming, been a while since I've used it though.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']For now, only one available from Sony, but seeing the install option under the theme menu makes me think there could be 3rd party XMBs as well in the future.[/quote]
I'm trying to track it down, but it seems that you might actually be able to create your own themes and share them.

>>>Here is a little info on it.

Themes - PSP owners recently got access to the ability to create custom themes for their system. PS3 owners will also get this feature. Not only will you be able to customize your wallpaper, you'll be able to change the icons and fonts used in the XMB. An official theme creator will be available for the PC, so users will be able to create their own and share with their friends. Additionally, new themes will be made available on PlayStation.com and the PLAYSTATION Store. The best user-generated themes will also be featured on the official site.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I'm trying to track it down, but it seems that you might actually be able to create your own themes and share them.

>>>Here is a little info on it.

Themes - PSP owners recently got access to the ability to create custom themes for their system. PS3 owners will also get this feature. Not only will you be able to customize your wallpaper, you'll be able to change the icons and fonts used in the XMB. An official theme creator will be available for the PC, so users will be able to create their own and share with their friends. Additionally, new themes will be made available on PlayStation.com and the PLAYSTATION Store. The best user-generated themes will also be featured on the official site.
[/quote]

Awesome.

Hey guys, there are some exlusive themes up HERE on the Japan Playstation site.

>>>Here are direct links, copied from Sony boards.

there are three themes there

Pixels/LED
ver200_01_thum01.jpg

http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/ps3update/dl/sampletheme/pixels.p3t

Nature
ver200_01_thum02.jpg

http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/ps3update/dl/sampletheme/nature.p3t

Classy Pink
ver200_01_thum03.jpg

http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/ps3update/dl/sampletheme/classypink
.p3t

Just download the files and then upload them to a memory stick/USB storage device then plop it in the PS3. Go to themes and then install.

OR send your PS3 to the page I posed above, or directly to these links and just save them to the HD and they will be installed at the same time (how I did it).

Yay for stealth updates!

~ Play trailers from the store while they are still downloading
~ Browser updated with a newer? flash player
~ Personalized game/video/music folder sorting
~ New thumb in PS Store and web browser
~ Store and browser are both much quicker
~ Info hub sucks (for noobs eyes only basically, just turn it off)
~ Sorting demos/ps1/psn games
~ Menu is refined/quicker
~ Very sleek chat room
I'm going to sort the hell out of the games and movies finally!!

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, you just change the album info.[/quote]
That what I'm messing with right now. This is probably the best addition out of everything that was added.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That what I'm doing right now. This is probably the best addition out of everything that was added.[/QUOTE]
Ya it was. I have over 100 videos on my PS3, now they're in folders.

Much better.

The only thing it really needs is the ability to put my own picture on that folder instead of taking the first icon it can get as the cover of that folder. My demo folder has the GT logo while my PSN game folder has the everyday shooter logo on it.

is anybody else having trouble with using L1 to go back in the Playstation Store? For me it's not responding or kind of lagging. Sometimes if I press it a lot of times it'll suddenly jump back a few pages. Pressing the button to go back sometimes doesn't work either... It mostly happens when I'm on an info page for say a game demo or wallpaper or something.

[quote name='zewone']Chat room?[/quote]
The voice/video chat stuff you can do with people on your friends list. I think the change was that the background's now the white room from the early PS3 commercials.

OK, can someone explain to me the theory behind the Info Hub? It would nice if this was an indication that Sony is going to start releasing demos and info sparatically instead of just on Thursdays but I somehow doubt that's going to happen.

Ahh, I need more free time to give this stuff a whirl :/
Hopefully by tomorrow I can get down to some theme's of my own, maybe even "release" em here ;O

Thanks for the links Nam, that was pretty quick :D

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']OK, can someone explain to me the theory behind the Info Hub? It would nice if this was an indication that Sony is going to start releasing demos and info sparatically instead of just on Thursdays but I somehow doubt that's going to happen.[/QUOTE]Demos and PSN content will stick to Thursday's, and there's a particular reason why.

With the current PS Store design, updating the PS Store is kind of like updating a website. Every time new content is added, the store has to be laid out again (basically, they need to move icons and create new icons. Setup new ads. Change the top download list. Make sure the content is in all appropriate places, etc. And they have to do this for both an SDTV and HDTV layout. And once all is done, they have to click update (just like a website is update). Basically, update the PS Store can be a slight pain, which is why updates are only on Thursday's. Making room for just one demo most of the time is meaningless, so they wait and just do one (2 at times) update per week. The updating process won't be easier until the store is completely re-designed.

Unfortunately, the PS Store will probably never be integrated to the XMB (or it won't be for a long time), because of the PS3 memory issues (which is why it logs onto a webpage currently).

WOW! You can now download videos... AND play them while they finish. Will be better then they get the TV/Movie content on there but I didn't expect this!

Just start the download and a "Play triangle" icon will appear, pres up then hit x and there you go. :)

>>>Or go to downloads, hit triangle to bring up the info menu and select play.

The Pixels theme from the Japanese Sony site is quite disappointing since it's just lightly colored icons on a bright white background, which isn't too friendly for the eyes. I switched back to the Air Paint one, which seems to have two different backgrounds if you click the theme name in the menus twice. I may have to try my hand at making a theme, maybe a CAG one if I can figure out how to do it.

Where's the text color option at?

The Info Board could be cool if it didn't restart every time I went to the settings part of the XMB. It should just have summarized posts from the PS Blog and have news about what's in the PS Store or what's on the way.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

The Info Board could be cool if it didn't restart every time I went to the settings part of the XMB. It should just have summarized posts from the PS Blog and have news about what's in the PS Store or what's on the way.[/quote]

Good question, I can't find it either. :roll:

[quote name='NamPaehc']Good question, I can't find it either. :roll:[/quote]
I hope it wasn't a vaguely-worded thing that everybody misinterpreted.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Pixels theme from the Japanese Sony site is quite disappointing since it's just lightly colored icons on a bright white background, which isn't too friendly for the eyes. I switched back to the Air Paint one, which seems to have two different backgrounds if you click the theme name in the menus twice. I may have to try my hand at making a theme, maybe a CAG one if I can figure out how to do it.

The Info Board could be cool if it didn't restart every time I went to the settings part of the XMB. It should just have summarized posts from the PS Blog and have news about what's in the PS Store or what's on the way.[/quote]Use the pixels theme and change the wallpaper.

[quote name='dallow']Use the pixels theme and change the wallpaper.[/quote]
I tried that. Nothing really "fixed" it. The icons should be a darker red to work with the default white background, for my taste. The Air Paint theme's growing on me though.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Making room for just one demo most of the time is meaningless, so they wait and just do one (2 at times) update per week. The updating process won't be easier until the store is completely re-designed.[/quote]
Wonder if they'll integrate demo downloads into Home, I would think integrating it into that would be a bit easier.

I figured out how to add photos, videos or demos to an album, but have to do it one-by-one. Is there a way to add multiple items to an album at once?

[quote name='KingBroly']Hey guys, put in a PS2 game and share your experiences.

NOTE: This is for 60gb/80gb PS3 owners only.[/QUOTE]
What?

[quote name='KingBroly']Hey guys, put in a PS2 game and share your experiences.

NOTE: This is for 60gb/80gb PS3 owners only.[/QUOTE]
Awesome, didn't expect them to fix that.

Nice surprise.

It took me eight hours to download the update, and then it never installed.

So now I have to download it again.

I'll probably do it in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back