The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
now we need a Mr. T commercial where he says I pity the fool that pays extra for online!

err... on second though.. maybe not.

KingBroly - I think you might be wrong calling BS On this one.. only time will tell.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm calling BS since nothing's mentioned about Trophies or this Gamercard feature that popped up recently. And what's with "Terminate the game"?

What would be interesting to see is if you could switch the resolution on the fly. I doubt it though. But in-game XMB will definitely be better than the blades because it'd be most of the menu instead of a blip.[/quote]

I believe trophies and gamercards will be under the "View Profile" option. So it is in fact there.

I like the Mr T. idea!!!

there's one feature that I need for PSN.. the ability to create custom avatar photos. These genric avatar pics suck. I'd love to be able to make our own custom avatar photos like we do with CAG.

[quote name='Thomas96']there's one feature that I need for PSN.. the ability to create custom avatar photos. These genric avatar pics suck. I'd love to be able to make our own custom avatar photos like we do with CAG.[/QUOTE]I disagree. I love my avatar, but then again, I'm big into R&C and that's what I want most.
[quote name='Solid-Snake-08']I hope that list is true, i want 2.40 if we can use music in game.[/QUOTE]
People should not get too excited because it's most likely still up to the developers to implements custom music, but it will be much easier to do it and a game's own memory doesn't have to be sacrificed to implement it.

I saw this because MS still owns the custom soundtrack software patent (where music is played over a game):
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918

PSN has nice avatars, but wouldn't you like to be able to use some of your own?

The Patent is for an application, not an operating system. XMB is an operating system.

"The application allows a user to create soundtracks by copying audio tracks from one or more audio source" that's what's listed in the patent.. however, XMB is really the PS3s operating system.

[quote name='zewone']baby steps, mang. that's all sony knows. :cool:[/quote]
I must not understand how difficult it is for a multimillion dollar company to fix their broken platform. They're trying their best and they care for me, amirite?

I still think, it's better than where they started at, and for being free it is excellent especially when compared to what the wii offers. I think because MS has been at it longer and charges that they will always be better at this than sony. For free I can't really complain.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']From the looks of it:

-You still can't invite friends.
-You still can't send voice messages.

Useless.[/QUOTE]I doubt the invite friends thing will ever be added, because it was never standard in the first place (and even adding it, it would be messy). I could careless about voice messaging, since I NEVER voice message anyone on 360 even (I only send text messages, since that's what I'm more comfortable with personally). PS3 isn't bad because the text messages allow for like 500 characters I believe and PS3 supports just about any USB keyboard (which I have). If PS3 wasn't supporting USB keyboards, then I might have complained.
[quote name='js1']I still think, it's better than where they started at, and for being free it is excellent especially when compared to what the wii offers. I think because MS has been at it longer and charges that they will always be better at this than sony. For free I can't really complain.[/QUOTE]
QFT.
[quote name='Thomas96']PSN has nice avatars, but wouldn't you like to be able to use some of your own?[/QUOTE]If we were paying for PSN, Sony would likely do it. It's a matter of Sony would have to pay for server space to store the pictures, and I really doubt they'd do it. Plus, the main reason they do not have it is because someone COULD upload offensive/nudity content as an avatar (such as a nude girl, racists symbol, etc. where children could be exposed to it). That I think is the most likely reason we will not see it (during a game, there's already a rating saying content may differ online, but on the XMB itself is a different story). Most would be mature enough to not upload anything offensive/nudity content, but there will be someone who will do it.

But a big reason I do like the avatar selection is, I love Ape Escape, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Hot Shots Golf, and many other first party PlayStation franchises, and they all have avatars up. I'm glad I do not have to pay for pictures I really like (and not be stuff with ones I do not like, like on a certain other console).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If we were paying for PSN, Sony would likely do it. It's a matter of Sony would have to pay for server space to store the pictures, and I really doubt they'd do it. Plus, the main reason they do not have it is because someone COULD upload offensive/nudity content as an avatar (such as a nude girl, racists symbol, etc. where children could be exposed to it). That I think is the most likely reason we will not see it (during a game, there's already a rating saying content may differ online, but on the XMB itself is a different story). Most would be mature enough to not upload anything offensive/nudity content, but there will be someone who will do it.

But a big reason I do like the avatar selection is, I love Ape Escape, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Hot Shots Golf, and many other first party PlayStation franchises, and they all have avatars up. I'm glad I do not have to pay for pictures I really like (and not be stuff with ones I do not like, like on a certain other console).[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, [in regards to offensive pictures, and content] but I figure that Sony is allowing user created pictures and content in Little Big Planet, and Home, then why not allow it in our avatars. Also, the avatar will be stored on the user's PS3. And you can only see it when they're online and you can basically get the pic directly from them. [if server space is really an issue]

I think that list of bogus, mainly because it's just restating things that have long been rumored to be coming, or things that are already in. The list is also poorly worded and comes from an anonymous source. Remember, just because a rumor generally follows what's happening doesn't mean it's all true. I'll wait until Sony posts the full list of 2.4 features, which I'm sure they'll do on the PS Blog and as a general press release.

As for custom avatars, they can handle that pretty easily by making custom avatars only visible by those on your friends list. The avatars themselves could remain on the owner's PS3, only uploaded to other friends on your list when you view your profile.

Remember that there is already a kind of invite system within PSN, the main problem is cross game invites. Then, it's also a matter of developer support as developers have to code in ways for users to quickly quit from their current game then fire up whatever game they're going to quickly and jump in that player's server.

There's no definitive word on it, so as above, just wait until we get official word from Sony.

Here are some more pics :whistle2: (or click spoilers)

PSN-Video-Store_2008_06-26-08_01.jpg

PSN-Video-Store_2008_06-26-08_02.jpg

PSN-Video-Store_2008_06-26-08_03.jpg

PSN-Video-Store_2008_06-26-08_04.jpg

PSN-Video-Store_2008_06-26-08_05.jpg

that's not 2.40, that's the video service that still has yet to be decided on when it will be released.

also, 2.40 is still expected on what I stated: July 1st - July 3rd

According to the article it says the video store will go live on E3 and while various sources have stated 1-3rd of july for 2.4, I've also seen others state it will be another E3 annoucement. Would make sense to hold it a little while longer and give it more exposure.

since it's getting announced on the 30th, I doubt it's E3 material. second, sony would have better numbers and more stuff to talk about at E3 with 2.40 launched already rather than wait. It's to their benefit press-wise to have it out before E3 so the early july days are expected more.

[quote name='Thomas96']Also, the avatar will be stored on the user's PS3. And you can only see it when they're online and you can basically get the pic directly from them. [if server space is really an issue][/quote]

And what if your ps3 if off, and I want to view your profile? The your ps3 would have to cache everyone on your friend lists avatar... which would work, just adds another (small) layer to the system.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']And what if your ps3 if off, and I want to view your profile? The your ps3 would have to cache everyone on your friend lists avatar... which would work, just adds another (small) layer to the system.

~S[/QUOTE]

If my PS3 is off, then you'll see a generic avatar. Just like with our custom messages (comments) when you're offline, or PS3 is off, you don't see a message. Custom avatars should be high on Sony's list but seems that they can't think of shit. What they need to implement is a online suggestion box.

[quote name='MrBrando']I hope that means faster downloads, I'm dying with how slow these are[/quote]

yeah, it feels like dial up sometimes...ha ha

Yeah individual rentals are ridiculous in general now.

I rented a "Favorites" from Blockbuster a few months ago for a school paper I had to write and it came to like $5.50. It was 1940 version of "The Grapes of Wrath"!!!

I think new rentals are like $7.00 or so, this is why Netflix is kicking so much ass right now.

[quote name='smiggity']Check the PS Blog @ Midnight Pacific, or a tad later...[/quote]

Really...?

RR are you going to still stand by your prediction?

[quote name='primetime']Really...?

RR are you going to still stand by your prediction?[/QUOTE]

yes I'll stand by my prediction.

and yes, if I'm wrong I don't care. What do I lose? ;)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yes I'll stand by my prediction.

and yes, if I'm wrong I don't care. What do I lose? ;)[/quote]

You should change your status to "Owned by the CAG" :)

[quote name='primetime']You should change your status to "Owned by the CAG" :)[/QUOTE]

:lol: I will hold that to you and promise I'll change my status to that if so I'm wrong :)

I've made a temporary sig change (found it at NeoGAF ;) ), in anticipation for the upcoming firmwire... and I won't remove it until it's actually out! :)

So you bring up the XMB and it doesn't pause the game. This is what I mean by Sony have great ideas and poor execution. Yeah I know it is only one more button to press, but why the hell should i have to hit pause then the PS button? I hope this gets fixed/changed before release. Good stuff otherwise.

I like how he didn't respond to his friend because of how cumbersome and time consuming it would be to type a response.

Switching to PSN games from anywhere is cool though.

[quote name='KingBroly']

Oh, and copying Nintendo again with CLOCKS.[/QUOTE]

I've been asking for this feature since the day I bought my PS3. I'm just glad it's there so I don't have to wonder what time it is anymore. ;)

[quote name='Kendal']So you bring up the XMB and it doesn't pause the game. This is what I mean by Sony have great ideas and poor execution. Yeah I know it is only one more button to press, but why the hell should i have to hit pause then the PS button? I hope this gets fixed/changed before release. Good stuff otherwise.[/QUOTE]
There are 360 games that do that too. I was playing Top Spin 3 and noticed it doesn't pause when you hit the guide button.

Are you serious? He needs to show us how the in game XMB is going to work? o_O

Best part of this video was the little bit of The Go Team! he played during PJM

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back