The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='StrandedBrit']but currently there are no games that support it yet.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the info on the platinum trophies, dallow.

[quote name='finsfan0210']what games are trophy compatible now?[/QUOTE]

It may take awhile to compile a list, but give me some time:

Super Stardust HD.

You're welcome.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Everyone just needs to understand, MS will ALWAYS be ahead on Sony when it comes to software. PS3 will NEVER do everything 360 does (and there are certain things 360 will never do that PS3 will have). It just comes down to Sony having the hardware expertise (Sony is going to 65nm RSX this year and went 65nm Cell last year. It took MS a YEAR longer to get there, compared to Sony (when you compare when the consoles launched), and the PS3 has a superb hardware design.
[/QUOTE]

This is a great point and can't be overstated. MS is a software company, hence the full-featured firmware on the 360 and also the RRoD. Sony is a hardware company, hence the reliability of the PS3 hardware and the woefully inadequate firmware.

damn do custom soundtracks work... fuck the the trophies, is there a ps3 game that we can use this feature on [that didn't already have it before the update] ?

what the hell happened to custom soundtracks... omg do I have to wait another two years to get custom soundtracks... fuck it, just gonna play my little radio while I game. No in game custom soundtrack so I'll just settle for custom while gaming soundtracks instead dammit

Conspiracy Theory - maybe this should be my first blog post...

2.4 update was a ploy to get everyone to play and replay Super Stardust HD.

[quote name='Thomas96']damn do custom soundtracks work... fuck the the trophies, is there a ps3 game that we can use this feature on [that didn't already have it before the update] ?[/quote]

GT5 Prologue

There's a problem, like I said over and over again. Many games will be have be patched to support Custom Soundtracks, all because Sony cannot pause/cut-out the game music themselves and overwrite it, due a patent Microsoft has: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918
1. A method comprising:

- receiving a request to launch a game in a gaming system;
determining whether the game has a user-associated soundtrack;
- if the game has a user-associated soundtrack:
launching the game; and
playing the user-associated soundtrack;

- if the game does not have a user-associated soundtrack:
allowing a user of the gaming system to select a soundtrack to play while the game is executed; and playing a default soundtrack if the user of the gaming system does not select a soundtrack.
http://www.ripten.com/2008/03/31/microsoft-owns-patent-for-in-game-custom-soundtracks/ (This is not an April Fool, just that the date fell near it).

I'm posting the patent over and over again since many seem to expect all their old games to work with it, but in reality Sony can't do it for now (but at least they made it easier for a developer to use it, so more games should be supporting it). The only way for PS3 to have it is for someone to pay MS to allow it, and IMO, if certain PS3 fans badly want it, they should PAY MS to let PS3 have them (if they want it so bad).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I'll be playing God of War II and trying to get the "Spartan Army" silver trophy, that one's gonna be a bitch.[/quote]

Wait... there are PS2 trophies you can get on the PS3?

What about 40gb owners?! :bomb:

[quote name='cuco33']Wait... there are PS2 trophies you can get on the PS3?

What about 40gb owners?! :bomb:[/QUOTE]I think he's joking. Trophies are only for PS3 games.

In game XMB is very smooth. RSV2 had in game messaging and it took a while to load your buddy list and send messages. I really like the update. It's about damn time.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think he's joking. Trophies are only for PS3 games.[/quote]

I was about to say...

Regardless, whenever I get my 40gb PS3 back from Sony I'll be looking forward to this update :applause::applause::applause:

I played SSHD with the PJ Monsters soundtrack playing.
But that's cuz it has it's own little custom soundtrack thing.

Seems like a patch for custom soundtracks would be quite simple, as the deve simply has to allow the XMB to play the tracks instead of creating their own interface.

[quote name='Thomas96']what the hell happened to custom soundtracks... omg do I have to wait another two years to get custom soundtracks... fuck it, just gonna play my little radio while I game. No in game custom soundtrack so I'll just settle for custom while gaming soundtracks instead dammit[/QUOTE]Thomas, read my post here before you say another word:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4558727&postcount=59

If you want custom soundtracks in every single game, you gotta play 360 then, because MS owns a software patent on the feature being implemented in every game (by overwriting the sound). That's why Sony has to leave it up to the developers, but they made the feature MUCH easier to implement this time (previous, a developer had to do all the dirty work to implement it, now it's just copy/paste code or something that will enable it).

Yes it's unfortunate about this, but MS was very smart to get a software patent on the feature so the competition could not do it. Just be glad MS did not patent global in-game messaging (they could have).

I can't believe Microsoft was allowed to patent the ability to play music while playing a game... I'm going to patent the ability to play music while jogging. The update is nice, can't do much with the ingame XMB, I was hoping they would just create a whole new XMB for ingame and hide all the stuff you can't do...

And trophies are awesome! If I could get them. I just want some Uncharted trophies!

TMK is overstating the patent IMO. There are several ways Sony can get around it. It seems to me that the only thing they for sure patented is streaming music from HD over the game soundtrack.

[quote name='smiggity']TMK is overstating the patent IMO. There are several ways Sony can get around it. It seems to me that the only thing they for sure patented is streaming music from HD over the game soundtrack.[/QUOTE]Actually, that's what MS IS doing right now basically. Music is being played from the HDD and other devices (like iPod, steaming).

Basically, MS's software patent is playing music from those devices over a game's music. Some games it just cuts out the music (ones which developers really want it supported), while some it may overwrite everything. That's why Sony has to leave it up to a developer to write the software (which isn't technically the same thing), but Sony now made it quite easy for them to implement it.

Yeah I agree that is so lame that Microsoft patented the ability of streaming music while playing a game. I mean what the hell how do you get away with patenting that.

Ugh, I really wanted the XMB to stream music from my computer while I was playing a game. Why does Microsoft shit all over so many things?

[quote name='smiggity']Ah, I read your first two posts wrong. I stayed up too late trying to grind out SSHD:drool:[/QUOTE]Same. I'm trying to gain more trophies. I bet Buddha will have everything thanks to his wife. :whistle2:(

i noticed that alot people were complaining on connecting their controller to usb while updating, but i find it strange i have never connected my ps3 controller ever on any update. reagardless if its low on power or full.

[quote name='vic_x51']i noticed that alot people were complaining on connecting their controller to usb while updating, but i find it starnge i have never connected my ps3 controller ever on any update. reagardless if its low on power or full.[/quote]
That was only on updates long ago. You're reading old posts it seems.

I keep getting a DNS error since the update. Everything else appears to be ok though. My 360 can log onto Live over a wireless connection fine so I know my wireless network settings are ok.

EDIT: Everything appears to be fine now, must have been a problem on Sony's end.

[quote name='cgarb84']I keep getting a DNS error since the update. Everything else appears to be ok though. My 360 can log onto Live over a wireless connection fine so I know my wireless network settings are ok.

EDIT: Everything appears to be fine now, must have been a problem on Sony's end.[/quote]

A friend of mine was having the same problem (DNS error) when he updated, while I was not having the problem. He was also using a wireless connection.

Pretty sure restarting the console after the forced restart fixed his problem.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Thomas, read my post here before you say another word:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4558727&postcount=59

If you want custom soundtracks in every single game, you gotta play 360 then, because MS owns a software patent on the feature being implemented in every game (by overwriting the sound). That's why Sony has to leave it up to the developers, but they made the feature MUCH easier to implement this time (previous, a developer had to do all the dirty work to implement it, now it's just copy/paste code or something that will enable it).

Yes it's unfortunate about this, but MS was very smart to get a software patent on the feature so the competition could not do it. Just be glad MS did not patent global in-game messaging (they could have).[/QUOTE]

Sony needs to read that patent a lot closer, because MS patented an "application" that can play music in game from the console's hard drive. I thought that Sony was using their "Operating system" - aka XMB to play music from their hard drive. So the question is.. XMB an application or a operating system. because from my knowledge XMB is an operating system, not an application, and thus I should have my Custom Soundtrack.

[quote name='smiggity']GT5 Prologue[/QUOTE]

you got custom soundtracks in GT5 Prologue, I played that game all night, couldn't get any custom soundtrack. Tell me how you did it, so I can stop bitching.

[quote name='Thomas96']Sony needs to read that patent a lot closer, because MS patented an "application" that can play music in game from the console's hard drive. I thought that Sony was using their "Operating system" - aka XMB to play music from their hard drive. So the question is.. XMB an application or a operating system. because from my knowledge XMB is an operating system, not an application, and thus I should have my Custom Soundtrack.[/QUOTE]Actually, it's pretty much the same way on 360, because it's an operating system being used in-game. It's just something where Sony MIGHT be able to be do something slightly different, but I think the last thing Sony wants is another patent infringement and actually face MS lawyers (who are quite powerful and rich).

I don't have any of the supported games except for Pain, so I might play that for a few minutes and try to unlock some trophy.

I just tried to get the update and it told me I was upto date? I looked and I'm at the last update before this one. I think it was 2.36. So I wonder if they found an issue with it and took it down or if something is wrong with my system when it comes to geting this new update.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']new feature nobodys said anything about unless it was in an old FW:

go to time zone change and it gives you a global view.[/quote]
Ah yes, strange thing to update but it looks quite nice.

[quote name='dallow']Sendme:

You might have to download the FW to a USB stick from the Sony site and then install it manually on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I will give that a try. However that is the first I have ever had to do that. Will suck but atleast I will get the update. Well I hope I do.

Well just tried it that way and got

"Not Found
The requested URL /update/ps3/image/us/2008_0702_96e9def601672c5abcbb4604bb2346f1/PS3UPDAT.PUP was not found on this server."

So it looks like as of now it is a no go for me updateing to 2.4. I will give it a shot again later.

The update is gone from the PS3 website as well. The link is dead. Did anyone on here happen to download the update to a USB stick and save it after installing?

Whatever game has the easiest trophies, because I'm a achievement trophy whore. Also, I have yet to play any retail games on my PS3 since i bought it (about 1 year ago). I know, its a bad reason, but it just adds more incentive to play games.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Yes it's unfortunate about this, but MS was very smart to get a software patent on the feature so the competition could not do it. Just be glad MS did not patent global in-game messaging (they could have).[/quote]

Weasels!

Grounds for anti-competitive monopoly lawsuit methinks.

Updated last night and have had zero problems with 2.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back