The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='twistedgohan']I found the update on a torrent site. should i run it?[/quote]

Just be patient. It'll probably be up soon.

Thought I was having trouble with my PS3 when it wouldn't detect 2.40. I kept restarting it and even made a new profile, thinking it was my PS3. Glad I checked here first before reformatting the PS3. Phew. Guess I'll just wait for 2.41.

I found it on a torrent site and Installed it into my launch 60gig. Works fine for me. Oh man thank god. I would have been so pissed if I broke my PS3 because I was impatient.

I downloaded mine and updated it before they took it down. My system works fine. I even tried out the ingame XMB and all ... I found no issue?

I'm also having no issues with 2.4 and I'm definitely not donw-converting like an idiot. So what are these issues, any particular games, i couldn't get custom soundtracks to work on any game but thats it?

There's nothing wrong with the firmware itself, but it seems to be if something goes during during the download/install. If you've had no issues, you're in the clear.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's nothing wrong with the firmware itself, but it seems to be if something goes during during the download/install. If you've had no issues, you're in the clear.[/QUOTE]

ok, thats good news, i guess

Another nice perk of in-game XMB right now is that if you get logged out of PSN at any point, just bring up the XMB to log back in instead of having to find some online feature to trigger the sign-in process again.

I think Sony withdrew this too quickly.
There's no problems with the FW. Whatever minority complained about it must have been very vocal.

[quote name='twistedgohan']are you saying that because you already have it?[/quote]

Well I do, but I would be patient anyway. Gohan said he updated fine, so you can go for it if you'd like.

[quote name='dallow']I think Sony withdrew this too quickly.
There's no problems with the FW. Whatever minority complained about it must have been very vocal.[/quote]

For sure. A very vocal few ruined it for a ton of people.

no one read my post... did anyone else's ps3 crash while playing?
i was playing MGs4 and my ps3 just crashed and i couldnt turn it off normally nor access any xmb or anything, the screen went black. i had to flick the power switch.

i have a 60gb ps3 and my ps3 has NEVER had any problems.

[quote name='dallow']I think Sony withdrew this too quickly.
There's no problems with the FW. Whatever minority complained about it must have been very vocal.[/QUOTE]
Vocal minority or not, if it's even 1 out of every 10 people that's too many. I'd rather they take the time to fix it than release something that would mess up consoles.

[quote name='Furashu']no one read my post... did anyone else's ps3 crash while playing?
i was playing MGs4 and my ps3 just crashed and i couldnt turn it off normally nor access any xmb or anything, the screen went black. i had to flick the power switch.

i have a 60gb ps3 and my ps3 has NEVER had any problems.[/QUOTE]

no problems here. BTW NEVER turn power switch off on back. Just hold power button (front untill it turns off) can take up to 30 seconds.

[quote name='Furashu']no one read my post... did anyone else's ps3 crash while playing?

i have a 60gb ps3 and my ps3 has NEVER had any problems.[/QUOTE]

I doubt this is related to the firmware. Crashes happen in all games, even AAA titles.

On a side note, has anyone figured out an easy way to quit a game now that the PS button brings up the XMB? I was struggling last night to quit out of the MGS-OD. I ended up ejecting the DVD to quit out. :shrug:

[quote name='daphatty']I doubt this is related to the firmware. Crashes happen in all games, even AAA titles.

On a side note, has anyone figured out an easy way to quit a game now that the PS button brings up the XMB? I was struggling last night to quit out of the MGS-OD. I ended up ejecting the DVD to quit out. :shrug:[/quote]

That's easy. If you hold the PS button longer, the old menu comes up and you just quit game like that. Additionally, on the In game XMB there's an option to also quit whatever game you're playing.

[quote name='daphatty']I doubt this is related to the firmware. Crashes happen in all games, even AAA titles.[/quote]

It's sad that crashes on consoles are becoming more and more common. Makes me nostalgic for the NES/SNES days. Plus back then it seemed like if a game did glitch up, it would at least have some cool side-effect.

[quote name='metaly']It's sad that crashes on consoles are becoming more and more common. Makes me nostalgic for the NES/SNES days. Plus back then it seemed like if a game did glitch up, it would at least have some cool side-effect.[/quote]

Miss the NES blowjob much?

[quote name='Paco']Miss the NES blowjob much?[/quote]

I'd definitely prefer a game taking a couple tries to start over it crashing right in the middle. After a few freezes, those scarab corridors in Metroid Prime turned into the scariest part of the game. :bomb:

[quote name='metaly']It's sad that crashes on consoles are becoming more and more common. Makes me nostalgic for the NES/SNES days. Plus back then it seemed like if a game did glitch up, it would at least have some cool side-effect.[/QUOTE]

There was always the possiblility that (on the NES) the game would glitch and then de glitch and continue playing like normal. Not anymore though. I definitely don't miss playing harmonica with my NES carts.

[quote name='metaly']It's sad that crashes on consoles are becoming more and more common. [/quote]

UT3 crashes constantly during server migration. I get days where I'll reboot 4-5 times trying to get into a game and it keeps locking up.

That's the only PS3 game I've ever had this kind of problem with, though. I didn't even get the dreaded GTA4 freeze.

The irony is that the latest update for Sony's next-gen console was not considered innovative or new at all, rather it was simply a way for the PS3 to catch up with functionality already available on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007209.html

The firmware flop has "embarrassed Sony," according to Michael Gartenberg, a JupiterResearch analyst. "To release an update like that and then have to pull it because it was turning people's PS3s into PS paperweights is an embarrassment. This is a pretty big black eye for them.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Sony-Pulls-Update-Following-PS3-Firmware-Fiasco-63690.html

So, should we call this the "Download of Death"? or DOD for short? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JMEPO']Does anyone have the file saved? If so would I be able to upload it to my PS3 via a USB?[/quote]You have to do some folder stuff and then go Update your ps3 but instead of through the internet,do it through a media device. I would honestly wait because you could be one of those supposed infected ps3's.Mine is perfect and have gotten 3 trophies. I think I'll be a trophy whore from now on.

[quote name='oasisboy']The irony is that the latest update for Sony's next-gen console was not considered innovative or new at all, rather it was simply a way for the PS3 to catch up with functionality already available on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

The firmware flop has "embarrassed Sony," according to Michael Gartenberg, a JupiterResearch analyst. "To release an update like that and then have to pull it because it was turning people's PS3s into PS paperweights is an embarrassment. This is a pretty big black eye for them.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Sony-Pulls-Update-Following-PS3-Firmware-Fiasco-63690.html

So, should we call this the "Download of Death"? or DOD for short? :lol:[/quote]
Have they ripped on Microsoft in the past when their firmware updates cause 360's to brick?

[quote name='oasisboy']The irony is that the latest update for Sony's next-gen console was not considered innovative or new at all, rather it was simply a way for the PS3 to catch up with functionality already available on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

So, should we call this the "Download of Death"? or DOD for short? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I love how the press tries to minimize the impact of this update simply because they view the features as a "catch up." Either they are ignorant or they are completely disregarding that these new features had to be shoehorned in. I wish I could find the article that detailed the RAM differences between the PS3 and 360 and, more specifically, how the PS3s smaller amount of available RAM made it more difficult for Sony to include an in-game interface. Just because the features may not be viewed as revolutionary does not lessen the technological difficulty in making such features possible.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Have they ripped on Microsoft in the past when their firmware updates cause 360's to brick?[/QUOTE]

Oh yea. MS caught tons of heat when their updates started bricking 360s. It happens.

[quote name='daphatty']I love how the press tries to minimize the impact of this update simply because they view the features as a "catch up." Either they are ignorant or they are completely disregarding that these new features had to be shoehorned in. I wish I could find the article that detailed the RAM differences between the PS3 and 360 and, more specifically, how the PS3s smaller amount of available RAM made it more difficult for Sony to include an in-game interface. Just because the features may not be viewed as revolutionary does not lessen the technological difficulty in making such features possible.

Oh yea. MS caught tons of heat when their updates started bricking 360s. It happens.[/quote]
Okay, just wondering if this was some overblown out-of-the-blue reaction or not, which is fine with me.

I saw some fanboys on another forums spewing some numbers from some random article about 42% or 33% failure rate of PS3's that downloaded 2.40. :lol:

I grabbed it and had no problems, custom HD and all. Though my friend managed to brick his PS3 with a previous firmware after he restarted while downloading it. Wonder how many people are joining in saying it's the firmware when they probably screwed it up themselves somehow.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Okay, just wondering if this was some overblown out-of-the-blue reaction or not, which is fine with me.[/QUOTE]

Not overblown. Just thinking for myself. :)

I spoke with some of my Sony friends during GDC and they confirmed that Sony Japan shot themselves in the foot by allocating most of the PS3s RAM for games which left very little for the XMB. That's why an in-game XMB has taken so long. The engineers have had to optimize the code because they have very little memory to work with. It also explains why this release is so limited.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, if the installation went through without a hitch, you're golden.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know.

[quote name='daphatty']I spoke with some of my Sony friends during GDC and they confirmed that Sony Japan shot themselves in the foot by allocating most of the PS3s RAM for games which left very little for the XMB.[/QUOTE]

More RAM for games? I fail to see how that's a bad thing. It's great that XMB is now ingame, but I lived without it for long enough and reaped its benefits. Actually, I only own one system intensive game, so I didn't reap the benefits except for a few days. Still, it's good to know that they allocated RAM to the right spot: for the games.

I updated to 2.40!!! I downloaded the file from a website shortly before Sony took it down and tried to convert it to a flash drive not knowing that I had to make 2 additional files and it didnt work (obviously). I just figured it out and its working great. (Im on 80gb) I've already got 5 trophys! If anyone wants the file just pm me.

No its not back up, but if you find a site that has it for download it will work.

I just installed it on my 40 GB and it worked golden. I don't have any trophies yet, but I dont know if Ive played anything that supports it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back