The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Shrapnellistic']
Cool use of the animation assets, but would be better if there was a free aquarium theme where you can buy exotic fish and use the SIXAXIS to rotate the camera. :D[/QUOTE]

I'd be down for that if you could make like a huge shark just eat everything on screen.

Downloading it now... Seems to be going a little bit faster than previous firmware updates. Judging by the comments here so far most are less than impressed.

My favorite feature is the ability to have more then one audio line setup... Now I can have it default to optical out for my surround, but can also use my tv's audio without quitting a game and messing with settings.

I hope that people will be able to create some custom animated themes. The download of the firmware was faster than usual, but I just thought it was my new (and faster internet) service. I'm not too keen on the friend's list, but it functions well. I wish that we could use custom pics for our avatars via PS3. You can use custom pics for different users on the one console, I think that should be extended so that you can use that same custom pic for your online avatar pic.

You have to remember that, unlike Microsoft you can't have 2 separate Gamerpics for your Profile (1 for everyone and 1 for friends). So...there's kind of a risk if they allowed custom user pics.

EDIT:
It does appear that Platinum Trophies no longer count towards a game's overall percentage. I looked at Killzone 2 and it is now at 85% for me (I have no DLC trophies). Before it was 69% I believe. Whatever it was, it definitely jumped up. However, there seems to be no change to my overall PSN level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just updated and here is what I think.

Good
I like the new start up
I like the new sparkly wave
Info bar on top much more simple with more info
Whats new in PSN tab is cool
Copy and paste in typing box
I can hook up two stereos to my PS3 now.

Bad
The gray bars in the freinds list was not necessary
The extra PlayStation store icons was not necessary
I dont like having whats new on the top right hand corner
Needs a new splash screen when starting up game
I got to pay for dynamic themes and avatars?!

The update is not that bad. I hope Sony listens to its customers and fixes some of these things up in a later firmware update. Also I hope they offer free dynamic themes through the store or maybe include them in games.

[quote name='screwkick']I read in an earlier post that updating to 3.0 on an older console will delete linux if you have it installed?[/QUOTE]
Nah.

[quote name='screwkick']I read in an earlier post that updating to 3.0 on an older console will delete linux if you have it installed?[/QUOTE]

i dont think so from what i heard its only the newer consoles ( ps3 slims) that wont be able to use linux and other os.

Going through various youtube videos, it looks like the Japanese signup screen has changed a bit and I can't get past a certain screen without getting an error message. I think it may just be password format related though

thanks for the heads up on the free dynamic bg dl went and set up an account just now and now im rockin the zebras. now if theyd only make one with naked chicks wrestling or tickle fighting............

Can you load money onto a Japanese account using PSN cards found here in the States? Is it best to just load it with a credit card?

[quote name='HowStern']It looks like the 360s NXE dash with the big huge store icons now.

Seems like a purely cosmetic update.[/QUOTE]

It really isn't. Faster downloads, better que, new connection info, other stuff.

I honestly think most people will think this is strictly an interface update, but alot of background stuff is fixed. I'm already noticing how much more the netcode seems to be working better.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']It really isn't. Faster downloads, better que, new connection info, other stuff.

I honestly think most people will think this is strictly an interface update, but alot of background stuff is fixed. I'm already noticing how much more the netcode seems to be working better.[/QUOTE]
Man, I hope faster downloads. It sucks when I have a game update and I have to wait 20-30 minutes for a 100Mb file ... there's no reason for that shit in this day and age of technology.

Nice. Yeah, I didn't go into testing anything out really aside from giving it a quick glance. I do like the new look though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I see the "Display What's New On/Off" option in System Settings and setting it to Off does nothing. This confuses and angers me.

I don't see any changes, Rolento, so you need to be quiet until you provide the solution you promised.[/QUOTE]

Off makes it so that What's New does not display when you turn on the system. Unfortunately, it does not disable it. I was playing around with it, and it is not terrible because you have your three most recently played games in there. Though I could do without all of the ads and the PS Store being in three separate categories.

[quote name='KingBroly']You have to remember that, unlike Microsoft you can't have 2 separate Gamerpics for your Profile (1 for everyone and 1 for friends). So...there's kind of a risk if they allowed custom user pics.

EDIT:
It does appear that Platinum Trophies no longer count towards a game's overall percentage. I looked at Killzone 2 and it is now at 85% for me (I have no DLC trophies). Before it was 69% I believe. Whatever it was, it definitely jumped up. However, there seems to be no change to my overall PSN level.[/QUOTE]
Oh yea that is true! Awesome. It was annoying that it would take like 20%.

Also - thanks for the Zebra theme this is awesome! It is friggen free and 100x's better then any of that premium shit on 360 (bought the Mass Effect theme... sucks).

I set up the Japanese account ect. but it is friggen impossible navigating the store (I found the theme) I want to know where there are good exclusive stuff. Any guides?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Oh yea that is true! Awesome. It was annoying that it would take like 20%.

Also - thanks for the Zebra theme this is awesome! It is friggen free and 100x's better then any of that premium shit on 360 (bought the Mass Effect theme... sucks).

I set up the Japanese account ect. but it is friggen impossible navigating the store (I found the theme) I want to know where there are good exclusive stuff. Any guides?[/QUOTE]

If you're a trophy whore, yeah. Adhoc Party is worthwhile too if you have a PSP. I heard it's getting an English port over here though.

wow... the Browser works infinitely better after this update... the only thing I can complain about is the friend's list... disgusting.

the rest.. awesome.

:lol::lol:

So, I guess I'm not the only one complaining bout the update for once, huh? The multiple Playstation Store icons are probably for the stupid soccer moms and their kids who don't know how to switch from the game to video stores.

I finally got it today. I honestly don't hate one thing about it. Most people said the text was to big. I love that. I can't see that great anyway now I can sit far away, and still read it. I don't mind the boxes around the friends. Its something different for a change. I also love that Zebra theme. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol::lol:

So, I guess I'm not the only one complaining bout the update for once, huh? The multiple Playstation Store icons are probably for the stupid soccer moms and their kids who don't know how to switch from the game to video stores.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='ddemaree07']is there any good reason i should NOT get this update?[/QUOTE]

My white dualshock has stopped working after the update and others have experienced the same problem.

I like it, it spruces up the same old XMB i've had for a year now. Some stuff like the outline on the ticker and the news ticker in general should be removed.

Also, the grey bars just dont fit, i don't get how they dont notice stuff like this. It doesn't even show trophy info right there with all that space. I just want it translucent!

But honestly, its just an interface and it still works perfectly fine.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Duplicate PS Stores is annoying and stupid.

@Afrika dynamic theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuTgUj8lSQ

Cool use of the animation assets, but would be better if there was a free aquarium theme where you can buy exotic fish and use the SIXAXIS to rotate the camera. :D[/QUOTE]

This is pretty cool, will have to download it. Is there a version of the theme that says "Hakuna Matada" in the corner or just "Afrika"?

Maybe they will maybe make dynamic Aquanaut's holiday theme? :D

[quote name='koji126']My white dualshock has stopped working after the update and others have experienced the same problem.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I have yet to try this, I've gotta charge my white DS3. Will try tomorrow. Does it not work at all?

dont have a white ds3 though i do wanna buy both a white and a silver so until they fix this i'll wait, also its just so disappointing that they left out so many features fans have been asking for for so long

Thanks for the "how to" on creating a Japanese account. Though I wish I would have read the thread before purchasing the LBP "dynamic" theme. (I prefer the Afrika theme)
I just can't stand how XMB is so big, I spent about 10 minutes going through the menu trying to reset it back to normal. I really hope they give us an option to revert to the smaller text and icons.

[quote name='Sinistar']This is pretty cool, will have to download it. Is there a version of the theme that says "Hakuna Matada" in the corner or just "Afrika"?

Maybe they will maybe make dynamic Aquanaut's holiday theme? :D

Hmm I have yet to try this, I've gotta charge my white DS3. Will try tomorrow. Does it not work at all?[/QUOTE]

Will turn on, lights 1 and 2 will stay solid, and the controller will not be functional at all. Tried a direct plug, resetting the controller.

Other forums seem to be having this same problem too. My old sixaxis works though.

[quote name='Connavar']My favorite feature is the ability to have more then one audio line setup... Now I can have it default to optical out for my surround, but can also use my tv's audio without quitting a game and messing with settings.[/QUOTE]

Just noticed the update today, and this is easily the biggest feature for me. I also run optical to my surround, but my video is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. There's times when surround just isn't necessary (especially late at night), and I always seem to forget that I left it set on optical. It'll be nice just having the system know what is connected and output through it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back