The Official PS4 & XBOX ONE Ebay/Scalping Thread.

For someone who hates flippers, you sure seem obsessed with this thread. You've got some real problems, bro.
I think the word flipper is retarded; but to your point I don't dislike resellers; I do however dislike people who come in and boast and brag about how much money they're going to make.

I think the word flipper is retarded; but to your point I don't dislike resellers; I do however dislike people who come in and boast and brag about how much money they're going to make.
How can you hate flipper?

Flipper-thumb-575x340-3113.jpg

I get what you mean about the braggarts though. It's just something that comes with the territory, it seems.

I recently sold a presale PS4 in an auction, the buyer paid but shortly after I got a message from Paypal disputing and saying the buyer might not have authorized the transaction, a day or 2 later the buyer closes his/her Ebay account. What should I do?
Get ebay to refund the fees and list it again. What is the loss at this point you didn't ship anything.

from ebay:

Listing the latest video game console products after the launch

Once the latest video game console products are made available to the public, most sellers will be allowed to list them with some limitations:

• Authorized resellers may list an unlimited number of items per week.
  • eBay Top Rated Sellers may list up to 8 items per week.
  • Sellers meeting our minimum performance standards may list 4 items per week.
  • Sellers who’ve confirmed their personal information may list 1 item per week.
  • Only sellers registered in the United States or Canada on eBay.com, eBay Motors, or eBay Canada will be able to participate in this event.
- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/10/how-to-list-upcoming-video-game-console-products-successfully-to-meet-buyer-demand/#sthash.3wvSWq0S.dpuf"

So I have 99 feedbacks. 100%. Only 2 sales in the last 12 months. Would they not consider my accounts to meet the minimum performance standards?

Listing the latest video game console products as pre-sales

Sellers in full compliance with eBay’s Presale policy will be allowed to list the latest video game console products on eBay, 30 days prior to the launch date. Also:

• Authorized resellers may list up to 25 items per week.
  • eBay Top Rated Sellers may list up to 4 items per week.
  • Sellers meeting our minimum performance standards may list 1 item per month.
  • Only sellers registered in the United States or Canada on eBay.com, eBay Motors, or eBay Canada, will be able to participate in this event.
- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/10/how-to-list-upcoming-video-game-console-products-successfully-to-meet-buyer-demand/#sthash.3wvSWq0S.dpuf

I was able to list 1 pre-order, so that must mean I meet the minimum right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ran into the problem of listing more than 1. I was setting up a release day sale and they wouldn't allow me to list it. Said I already listed one (which I did) and have to wait 30 days to list another. 

My information is verified and I have 95% rating. Might call eBay and ask for an increase on the limit.

I just ran into the problem of listing more than 1. I was setting up a release day sale and they wouldn't allow me to list it. Said I already listed one (which I did) and have to wait 30 days to list another.

My information is verified and I have 95% rating. Might call eBay and ask for an increase on the limit.
then they will ask why you need more then one to sell and make you do tons of steps to become a store

This is for pre-orders. You can list 4 the day the system releases

eBay Top Rated Sellers may list up to 4 items per week.

Sellers meeting our minimum performance standards may list 1 item per month.

I'm kind of curious why every assumes that because they have a pre-order receipt they are 100% guaranteed to get the system on Nov 15. If I remember right, even if you had a PS3 or 360 pre-ordered at first, there were still far too few systems to meet demand and you had to be put on a waiting list for the next shipment to arrive.

I have my Amazon Launch Edition pre-ordered, so I won't need one, but I'd be super pissed at the seller if I paid over MSRP for a console I had to wait (potential) months for it to finally be in their hand when I might have had a better chance just going to the store and finding one myself for $200 less.

If you ask me, pre-order scalpers are playing with fire

I'm kind of curious why every assumes that because they have a pre-order receipt they are 100% guaranteed to get the system on Nov 15. If I remember right, even if you had a PS3 or 360 pre-ordered at first, there were still far too few systems to meet demand and you had to be put on a waiting list for the next shipment to arrive.

I have my Amazon Launch Edition pre-ordered, so I won't need one, but I'd be super pissed at the seller if I paid over MSRP for a console I had to wait (potential) months for it to finally be in their hand when I might have had a better chance just going to the store and finding one myself for $200 less.

If you ask me, pre-order scalpers are playing with fire
I was gonna sell a few on ebay like others are doing, changing the shipping address on their amazon order to the winners address. After researching a bit, it looks like you are not guaranteed the release date shipping will stick if you change the address. I am avoiding a shitstorm by just listing the auction to have the system shipped to me and I ship it out.

It seems to me that if you live in a big enough city, the way to go is CRAIGSLIST, not ebay.

If you want to clear (net after fees and shipping) $200 on ebay you'd need to sell a PS4 for over $750. Not to mention the nerves involved waiting 30 days to see if the buyer tries to do a return scam on you.

Or you could simply sell it on craigslist for $640, still clear $200... and once the transaction is done, the buyer has no recourse with returns except to the store (it'd be nice to give them a gift receipt in case they have real issues with the system).

I have 3 pre-orders, if I sell two on craigslist this way, I've essentially paid for my personal console, and up charging $200 isn't as devilish as $750-$950 on ebay. Everyone is a little happier that way.

(I've also heard it's safest to do your transaction at the parking lot of a police station during the day.)

I have 3 pre-orders, if I sell two on craigslist this way, I've essentially paid for my personal console, and up charging $200 isn't as devilish as $750-$950 on ebay. Everyone is a little happier that way.
Yeah, $550 - $650 is reasonable if you really, REALLY must have one, but getting one for $800+ is just retarded

For what? The article says all the major retailers have launch day units for general sale. Not to mention the extras that sites like AZ and Newegg will have (Sony store, Fry's, etc.)

Sony themselves have even said they are releases units in waves rather then one large initial shipment.
The article says, they will have launch day units but how many is the question supply will definitely not meet demand after Nov. 15 & 22nd. 1 million pre-orders vs. thousands for launch day? The casual gamers and parents with disposable income are just now starting to join the hype train due to advertising. If Wal-marts launch plans are any indication of how things will go launch night and morning, a lot of Ebay scalpers are shooting their load way too early.

Just glad I can camp in an indoor environment(Wal Mart), hopefully.

I think those 7 probably would have netted you a couple hundred dollars more each come launch day. I just wish I would have been that forward thinking to pre-order.
I am skeptical but we will see. I didn't want to get stuck with 15 preorders and make no money.

For what? The article says all the major retailers have launch day units for general sale. Not to mention the extras that sites like AZ and Newegg will have (Sony store, Fry's, etc.)

Sony themselves have even said they are releases units in waves rather then one large initial shipment.

Talk about selective reading LOL. You read an article that talks about how the ps4 is going to sell out like crazy and you come out saying that ^ Lmao. I hate to inform you but that article pretty much summed up the that the sell out is a done deal and those who didn't pre order will have trouble getting one before 2014

I canceled my extra Amazon PS4 preorder yesterday (I'm getting mine from GS). Oh well...

I canceled my extra Amazon PS4 preorder yesterday (I'm getting mine from GS). Oh well...
So did I. $100 net profit margin (and it would be even less for me because I pay taxes) isn't nearly enough to risk the potential of fraud on an item this expensive. I've sold on Ebay for years and the only times I ever ran into trouble were game-related auctions (someone who claimed a game disc didn't work, another who claimed they never received a package even though I had confirmation showing it, etc.). Just far too much risk on something where it looks like the supply could at least meet the initial demand. Now, maybe the supply will dry up and these things will shoot up in value, but I'm not rolling the dice on it myself.

Anyone know if there are people intentionally messing with auctions on ebay?  I've seen a lot sky rocket into the 900 dollar range with 0 feedback bidders.

Anyone know if there are people intentionally messing with auctions on ebay? I've seen a lot sky rocket into the 900 dollar range with 0 feedback bidders.

Look at the sellers shipping section. Do they ship internationally? If so there is a much better chance it's a legit buyer.

In most case no they don't appear to be selling internationally.   

I have even seen two 0 feedback bidders going back and forth.   

It seems to be more related to sellers shipping directly from Amazon.  (maybe because there wont be signature confirmation and they can make a claim?)

It could just possibly be people who are creating fake accounts to mess with scalpers.

Seems fishy to me.  Sellers beware.   

In most case no they don't appear to be selling internationally.

I have even seen two 0 feedback bidders going back and forth.

It seems to be more related to sellers shipping directly from Amazon. (maybe because there wont be signature confirmation and they can make a claim?)

It could just possibly be people who are creating fake accounts to mess with scalpers.

Seems fishy to me. Sellers beware.

Well if the seller doesn't ship internationally and the bidders are overbidding it is most certainly fishy.... even more so if in the description it states it's coming directly from Amazon.

That could be a scammer wanting to get a package that he thinks would not have the required Signature Confirmation

Well if the seller doesn't ship internationally and the bidders are overbidding it is most certainly fishy.... even more so if in the description it states it's coming directly from Amazon.

That could be a scammer wanting to get a package that he thinks would not have the required Signature Confirmation
Will Amazon PS4 orders require signature confirmation and will this info be available on the amazon order page once the item is delivered? Just to have proof the scammer cant claim he didnt receive anything.

Will Amazon PS4 orders require signature confirmation and will this info be available on the amazon order page once the item is delivered? Just to have proof the scammer cant claim he didnt receive anything.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com, I am glad you contacted us.

There is no issue if your friend lives in a remote location or a bad part of town, carrier will not require a signature for delivery.

A signature is typically required for packages where the total value is more than $1,300. We can't instruct shipping companies how or when to leave packages at a shipping address.

A shipper may also require a signature if the package is delivered to an apartment, condominium, or business complex, or if the driver feels there isn't a safe place to leave the package at the delivery address. If your friend won't be home when you expect the delivery, your friend might want to leave a note asking the driver to leave the package with a neighbor or building manager.

I hope this helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Harish G

I hope sellers are aware, especially the amazon sellers that if the buyer claims item  not received even if delivery confirmation shows delivered, the seller will lose their money and system since the item is over $250.00 and no signature is on file. That is a chance I would not be willing to take.

Some police stations actually have a designated area for transactions, Or possible inside of a crowded mall? Or Starbucks? Just be smart about it and you should be okay. People use craigslist every day and you think all of the sudden people are gonna go on random robbing sprees? 

Some police stations actually have a designated area for transactions, Or possible inside of a crowded mall? Or Starbucks? Just be smart about it and you should be okay. People use craigslist every day and you think all of the sudden people are gonna go on random robbing sprees?
I always use well lit busy gas stations. Not only do they have lights late but also cameras.

I hope sellers are aware, especially the amazon sellers that if the buyer claims item not received even if delivery confirmation shows delivered, the seller will lose their money and system since the item is over $250.00 and no signature is on file. That is a chance I would not be willing to take.
Well I called ebay and spoke to them because my auction ended with two 0 feedback bidders going back and forth bringing my xbox one to over $900. Both were brand new accounts. The user paid already and has a confirmed address but did not have a paypal account.

I asked the guy several times do I need signature confirmation for seller protection on this sale and they said no many times. I also asked if it was alright to ship from Amazon direct and they said its fine. I asked him for the case number and to note that and they said they would. Still leaves me a bit uneasy but I donot know what options I really have at this point.

Well I called ebay and spoke to them because my auction ended with two 0 feedback bidders going back and forth bringing my xbox one to over $900. Both were brand new accounts. The user paid already and has a confirmed address but did not have a paypal account.

I asked the guy several times do I need signature confirmation for seller protection on this sale and they said no many times. I also asked if it was alright to ship from Amazon direct and they said its fine. I asked him for the case number and to note that and they said they would. Still leaves me a bit uneasy but I donot know what options I really have at this point.
It's PayPal you need to be worried about---they handle the money

Same company. When you call one you are calling both. They looked at the transaction for me as well to see if it looked suspicious or potential fraud.

Yes and no. The threshold for requiring signature confirmation is higher with eBay then it is with PayPal. eBay recently raised it but it is still $250 with PayPal and a buyer can open a cause through whomever they choose.

Also don't forget if you drop ship you have no proof of the serial number you sent the buyer so it makes it infinitely easier for them to send back another console if they find one later at MSRP

You're trading the risk of financial harm for the risk of physical harm...plus financial harm.
Have the buyer meet you at one of your banks branch location in the middle of the two, then make the sale and deposit the funds right there with the buyer beside you. The bank will check for counterfeit money free of charge and the armed security would deter any physical altercations. Problem solved.

Do not listen to CSR http://community.ebay.com/t5/Policies-User-Agreement/Buyer-didn-t-receive-item-no-signature-confirmation-and-value/td-p/3018589 this is what will happen if you have a scammer intent on taking your item. Paypal and Ebay act like they aren't the same company on certain issues which is why a lot of good sellers left and still leave.

All this negative talk about eBay and Amazon is making me think I should only go through Craigslist.
You will be fine on Ebay if you have an Amazon pre-order "IF" you wait until you get the system and then ship it with signature confirmation.

Have the buyer meet you at one of your banks branch location in the middle of the two, then make the sale and deposit the funds right there with the buyer beside you. The bank will check for counterfeit money free of charge and the armed security would deter any physical altercations. Problem solved.

Do not listen to CSR http://community.ebay.com/t5/Policies-User-Agreement/Buyer-didn-t-receive-item-no-signature-confirmation-and-value/td-p/3018589 this is what will happen if you have a scammer intent on taking your item. Paypal and Ebay act like they aren't the same company on certain issues which is why a lot of good sellers left and still leave.

You will be fine on Ebay if you have an Amazon pre-order "IF" you wait until you get the system and then ship it with signature confirmation.
Thanks for the advice guys. I called Paypal to confirm and it turns out you two are exactly correct. Basically Ebay and Paypal seller protection is different and are different services. Which one goes into effect is 100% based on where they file the claim. Paypal 100% says you need a signature confirmation if its over $250. End of story.

I still think the buyer is a scammer but I send them an email stating that policy and that I will ship it on launch day or if they would like a refund, I will provide it right away.

Well, we are just about a week before launch.

I'm excited to get my PS4, but also curious to see if some of the demand predictions in this thread materialize in the coming days. 

Talked to bestbuy today and they claimed to say they should have sufficient stock to meet all pre-orders and non-preorder customers.  Says that if I get there by 3pm, i would likely be able to pick one up.  

Oh man, i hope this is not the case. I have few pre-orders across BBY, WMT, and AMZN.  Hope we all can still make a quick few hunnit $$$ lol...

To the serious sellers, would anyone consider forming a group to go around retail stores to gauge the demands for PS4 and then XB1 the week after. 

I can't believe how low sales have gone on ebay. I think the demand is there but there have just been too many presales for 3rd party sellers to make a huge profit. PS3 was very very limited even months after release. Don't see that happening with the 4. If I were selling a PS4 I would be pretty disappointed by the sale prices only a week away from launch. 

I SOLD A PS4 yesterday for $550 with free expedited shipping. Profit will be like $75 to $120 depending on shipping. 

I SOLD A XBOX ONE TODAY FOR $700. NOT BAD!!!!

SURE, I'LL TAKE A 25 TO 30% PROFIT MARGIN.

Here is an intertesting anecdotal experience from a friend of mine.

My friend had placed an ad on Craigslist for selling his Amazon "Dual-shock Bundle" preorder for $1199. Some dude called him back saying that he will pay him $1300 for it. Apparently his son wants it really bad and he wants to make sure it's there for Christmas. So they met at a QT in daylight. My friend took a $100 deposit for holding the pre-order, and in return gave the buyers a signed document promising to deliver the PS4 bundle on the agreed upon date/venue. The balance is due upon physical delivery of the console. I guess they will meet at the same QT to complete the transaction.

Me and another friend also have our preorders listed for sale on Craigslist, but none of us have had any responses.

I still don't know what to make of it. There are numerous other, cheaper ads selling PS4 preorders. Why didn't this buyer go for them? And what's the deal with him offering more than the seller's asking price? In any case, even if it is a scam, my friend has taken a $100 deposit. So his return shipping to Amazon is easily covered. The only thing I can think of is that this just a really dumb, clueless parent. BTW, speaking of returns, does anyone know how much it might cost to ship back an unsold PS4 bundle to Amazon?

Anyways, at this point I am thinking of canceling one of my preorders. There is just too much supply in the market. I will still get the one I ordered for myself. If I get a good price for it before, say, thanksgiving, I will delay the gratification. Otherwise I am opening that bitch and getting my game on.

bread's done
Back