The OFFICIAL Shadowrun topic- Out Now!

anomynous

Banned
UPDATE (LOL, it's been exactly 1 year since I updated this post):

Releases 5/29: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13443/Shadowrun-Goes-Gold-for-Windows-Vista-and-Xbox-360/

Screens:
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1483/Shadowrun/p1/

Videos:
http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1483/Shadowrun/#movies
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2664

And of course the game has Xbox 360 PC play

Preview:
Given that it’s been positioned to be one of Microsoft’s most important releases in 2007, it’s not surprising that we’ve been seeing an awful lot of Shadowrun in recent months. After all, it will be the first game to make use of the highly touted Live Anywhere service, which will allow all players to compete against each other whether they’re on an Xbox 360 or a PC. Ever since the game was first officially announced, nearly everyone was asking the same question. Would it actually work? Could the developers at FASA Studios balance the game so that it would be impossible to determine what platform the player was using? And what about the whole “mouse and keyboard vs. controller” debate?

Well, after playing quite a few full games, we’re happy to inform you that not only is the game perfectly balanced, it’s also a blast to play. Now, I know what you’re probably saying right about now. “But Will,” you’re yelling at your screen, “what about the fact that this isn’t the same Shadowrun that I know and love?” While I understand where you’re coming from, you should know that I was never that into the franchise in any of its myriad forms. Sure, I played and enjoyed the Genesis game, and I can appreciate the fact that many of the fans out there are dying to play a new Shadowrun RPG, not some shooter with seemingly loose ties to the universe.

Although I may not be well versed in all things Shadowrun, I do know a thing or two about inventive shooters, exciting multiplayer action, and good old fashioned fun, three things that the game has in spades. After playing through a number of the tutorial levels (there’s no true single-player game, and you’ll only play bots while you’re learning), we decided to challenge the PC users to a match. They were boasting that there was no way we could beat them, but they quickly quieted down once we beat them handily in the first two games. It was impossible to tell that they were playing with the traditional mouse/keyboard setup, and it really felt like everyone was on a level playing field.

I knew coming down this alley was a bad idea...

While I’ve seen the game a number of times in the past few months, I was happy to learn that we were playing a near-final build. This meant that all four of the races were playable, allowing us to get an idea of how they differed from one another, as well as figure out which one best suited our style of play. Since we were playing the Extraction gametype (which tasks teams with grabbing an artifact and delivering it to a drop-off point), I found myself gravitating toward the fast and agile Elf. Early on, I took full advantage of his skills by getting to the artifact before any of my foes and racing up to the delivery area. This actually worked quite a few times, particularly once I enabled my Wired Reflexes.

One of Shadowrun’s biggest and best features is the ability to buy magic or technology to help you give your character a leg up on the competition. You’ll earn money during the matches, which you can then spend on these upgrades (as well as a variety of weapons). Thankfully, the developers decided not to make any of the upgrades straight-up offensive, choosing instead to allow players to either play a support role (dropping a Tree of Life will give your teammates a place to heal) or try to outsmart their enemies (catch a foe in a patch of tangled crystals and fire away). Of course, you can also obtain a good deal of other abilities, including teleporting, gliding through the air, and resurrecting fallen comrades.

We also had a chance to check out a few new levels, as well as some magic spells that weren’t available during previous sessions. The first level was called Nerve Center, and it was actually a lot like the Lobby stage we’ve played a number of times before. Basically, you’ll be doing battle inside a huge office building, which was a far cry from Favela, a level set in the slums. Although we spent the majority of our time duking it out on the ground, this level features plenty of high ground for those players that like to deal their death from above.

As I mentioned above, we had a chance to play around with a few new spells that really changed the way I approached many situations. Smoke was particularly intriguing, as it allowed me to actually turn into vapor. This was good for obvious reasons, especially once the bullets started to fly and I needed a way to get out quick. While projectiles couldn’t hurt me once I entered that state, there was one thing that could: Gust. This spell gives the caster the ability to do everything from pushing solid foes back a few feet to dealing some serious damage to “smoked” players.

You can be sure that we’ll be bringing you a lot more information on Shadowrun in the weeks leading up to its launch.

Screens:
1174602491.jpg

1174602453.jpg

I can't wait for this to come out, when it does does anybody want to get some CAG games going? Possibly a clan?

While watching Shadowrun behind the scenes on XBL I heard them say it was a multiplayer only game. WTF!?! No single player?? I was worried when I heard this was going to be an FPS rather than an RPG, now this. I want this game to succeed, but it's going to be difficult...

[quote name='dooddude']ill start off, the game doesnt look as bad as everybody says. We'll just have to wait for more info on the game.[/QUOTE]

I think what's most disappointing is that people were hoping/expecting for a RPG, not a counter strike clone. It seems like they borrowed the name and some ideas from the franchise but threw away its soul.

But I do hope the game turns out well, and it looks like it has the potential to be a good online game.

Arrrrghhh! I almost ran out and bought a 360. Shadowrun (SNES) is one of my all time favorite games. Then I read it might be a FPS and stopped. I'm not kidding. I was actually gonna go out and buy a system just so i can play the game in the future.
Oh well, I guess a Shadowrun RPG is too much to ask for.
Ever since I saw GTA 3 (PS2). I thought it would be so cool to have an SR rpg with a similar engine.
sigh
Well, I guess if the SR FPS has that tune that was prevalent in the SNES version I would still buy it.

Hmmm, maybe I should buy a 360 anyway.

My first thought was a Shadowrun that wasn't an RPG wasn't worth my time. Then I saw a preview with an interview by one of the developers. His words reaffirmed my first thought. I'm staying far away.

most people that have played it have said you will be suprised at how much you play this game...it isn't on the top of my list of games for this year, but I do plan on giving it a shot.

does anybody know if shadowrun will be playable on the pc w/ xp...or is MS screwing us and forcing us to get Vista to play? I still enjoy the ole mouse and keyboard over the controller.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']does anybody know if shadowrun will be playable on the pc w/ xp...or is MS screwing us and forcing us to get Vista to play? I still enjoy the ole mouse and keyboard over the controller.[/QUOTE]

Shadowrun is Vista only, no XP support.

That being said, I'll probably pick this up for the 360.

[quote name='valor19']Shadowrun is Vista only, no XP support.

That being said, I'll probably pick this up for the 360.[/quote]

same here I suppose....damn it MS!!!! Why force me to change this good thing ive got going w/ XP???

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Arrrrghhh! I almost ran out and bought a 360. Shadowrun (SNES) is one of my all time favorite games. Then I read it might be a FPS and stopped. I'm not kidding. I was actually gonna go out and buy a system just so i can play the game in the future.
Oh well, I guess a Shadowrun RPG is too much to ask for.
Ever since I saw GTA 3 (PS2). I thought it would be so cool to have an SR rpg with a similar engine.
sigh
Well, I guess if the SR FPS has that tune that was prevalent in the SNES version I would still buy it.

Hmmm, maybe I should buy a 360 anyway.[/quote]
Well, I'm a gamer and not a console fanboy/girl. With that said, is a good rule of thumb to purchase a console based on games you like and at least have a minimum of 3 or more games depending on how long the console have been out.

Shadowrun, is nothing like it's predecessors (SNES, Genesis, Wizkids table top and RPG). It's set in the future and is a new way to play with the same elements that can be found in the previews games.
Would Shadowrun RPG totally rock? Yes it would and I am sure Fasa Studios is now aware of how much an RPG video game version of the game is wanted.

With that said, Shadowrun FPS is fantastic. Game play was fun and very team driven. Is a great change from most FPS as you have to figure out what to get to help your team and lead them to victory. No 2 characters are alike. Different races, weapons, magic, tech, elements, etc. I hate using Halo as an example, but here I go. In Halo every one starts with a set of grenades, and an SMG for sure! All Spartans are alike. After that, you know that they are possibly 2 sets for rockets and sniper. You know that they are 2 sets of pretty much anything in order to keep the maps balanced. Shadowrun is different. Each player can mix and mach and pretty much detail their characters to their strength. For example, in Halo I am the person that will drive the warhog, that will make sure I grab the sniper gun and return it to the person using it before when they spawn. I’m the person that will run in the middle of the map to distract the other team. I’m the one that runs in and grabs the flag to take it outside. Weather I score it, get any kills, or medals in a game it’s most definitely NOT my priority. Thus in Shadowrun, I could go around healing my team and making sure that we scored no matter what (or kill everyone, whichever came 1st). But at the end of a game, we all get points for everything. So I might had cero kills, but I would have a 303.5 score points. Kill’s are important, but they are not everything.

I know how hard would it be for some Shadowrun fans to think of the game to be an FPS instead of an RPG that we have all love, but please, do try it. Is addicting, is fun, and I’m already having withdraws and cant wait for the demo!

So did anybody get into the beta?
Yes, I did

most people that have played it have said you will be surprised at how much you play this game...it isn't on the top of my list of games for this year, but I do plan on giving it a shot.
This statement is true. Is fun, is addicting and I’m already going through withdraws after stop playing it at 5pm. It takes a bit to get used too and learning what to get for battle (not hard, just building your character with the weapons that will support your gaming strength might take you a bit). But once you have that figure out, MAN! Is sooooooooooo much fun! It might even make you go “Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii” [/inside joke] ;)

[quote name='Xalaga']Well, I'm a gamer and not a console fanboy/girl. With that said, is a good rule of thumb to purchase a console based on games you like and at least have a minimum of 3 or more games depending on how long the console have been out.

Shadowrun, is nothing like it's predecessors (SNES, Genesis, Wizkids table top and RPG). It's set in the future and is a new way to play with the same elements that can be found in the previews games.
Would Shadowrun RPG totally rock? Yes it would and I am sure Fasa Studios is now aware of how much an RPG video game version of the game is wanted.

With that said, Shadowrun FPS is fantastic. Game play was fun and very team driven. Is a great change from most FPS as you have to figure out what to get to help your team and lead them to victory. No 2 characters are alike. Different races, weapons, magic, tech, elements, etc. I hate using Halo as an example, but here I go. In Halo every one starts with a set of grenades, and an SMG for sure! All Spartans are alike. After that, you know that they are possibly 2 sets for rockets and sniper. You know that they are 2 sets of pretty much anything in order to keep the maps balanced. Shadowrun is different. Each player can mix and mach and pretty much detail their characters to their strength. For example, in Halo I am the person that will drive the warhog, that will make sure I grab the sniper gun and return it to the person using it before when they spawn. I’m the person that will run in the middle of the map to distract the other team. I’m the one that runs in and grabs the flag to take it outside. Weather I score it, get any kills, or medals in a game it’s most definitely NOT my priority. Thus in Shadowrun, I could go around healing my team and making sure that we scored no matter what (or kill everyone, whichever came 1st). But at the end of a game, we all get points for everything. So I might had cero kills, but I would have a 303.5 score points. Kill’s are important, but they are not everything.

I know how hard would it be for some Shadowrun fans to think of the game to be an FPS instead of an RPG that we have all love, but please, do try it. Is addicting, is fun, and I’m already having withdraws and cant wait for the demo!

Yes, I did

This statement is true. Is fun, is addicting and I’m already going through withdraws after stop playing it at 5pm. It takes a bit to get used too and learning what to get for battle (not hard, just building your character with the weapons that will support your gaming strength might take you a bit). But once you have that figure out, MAN! Is sooooooooooo much fun! It might even make you go “Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii” [/inside joke] ;)[/quote]

sold! officially can't wait for a demo :) I love different classes actually being useful in a FPS. Like why I was an engineer or driver in battlefield games.

[quote name='velvet396']sold! officially can't wait for a demo :) I love different classes actually being useful in a FPS. Like why I was an engineer or driver in battlefield games.[/quote]
Yea, I was one of them too, but I stop playing battllefield once it stop me from playing with my friend because they where higher ranked than me. I just didn't have enough time to keep up. It made me sad.

On shadowrun Im the one that before getting a gun, i get rez. then I get tree to heal and teleport last to make it fast and every where to revive my team. Plus teleport works wonders when you triying to run away kill your enemy. HEHEHE.

Also, the guys at Bungie just posted a little interview with the guys from Shadowrun. Click here to read. :D

whats the release date for shadowrun? ive heard its supposed to be the end of May but was not certain.

I just hope they price it at $50 or less or nobody will ever play it. I think it definitely has potential but it may not have a broad enough fan base. I guess we'll see fairly soon.

Well, the more I read about it, the more I'm getting excited. There isn't anything coming out for the next month that interest me other than ShadowRun. And I'll probably have $60 burning a hole in my pocket.

^And I do realize C&C and Forza 2 come out this month. Just not feeling a racer or an RTS right now.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']whats the release date for shadowrun? ive heard its supposed to be the end of May but was not certain.

I just hope they price it at $50 or less or nobody will ever play it. I think it definitely has potential but it may not have a broad enough fan base. I guess we'll see fairly soon.[/quote]

Hi BOB! you are the second bob i talk to today hehehe. I like bob's....any ways..

Released date is said to be May 29th. Prices are 360 = 59.99 and Vista=49.99
The game, sadly, is not going to be any cheaper than that, since every game on the 360 is 60 no matter what. Which is really the reason as to why many of us lurk around the forums here to find those sweet sweet deals. (if any one knows one about Shadowrun, please Pm! *giggles*).

As far as many people picking it up, i forsee planty. It has a few things on it's favor.

1) As much as fans of the license complain that is not an RPG, many are exited about it and will support Fasa studios on this adventure with the hope or an RPG version for the future.
2)It's the 1st game ever to do 360 vs Pc. Halo 2 is 360 "aware", but players can't play against eachother across the platform. With Shadowrun, all bets are off...or d-pads and mouse and keybord and...yea...this all translate to me getting pwn.
3)Uno is the next game to be cross platform that is anounce. um....UNO! seriusly! UNO!! If it was vision camara aware like the new eye toy, they might had something there, but I really never had wanted to play UNO on the 360 and never EVER wanted to play cross-platform UNO. maybe if it was mindswiper....hmmmmmm.

I think we all going to get a good feel as how well is going to do once the demo comes out. Im trying to prepare my self to the thousands "OMG! is not RPG! WTFBBQ!!11!!" compare to the few I find now. After that, it should be clear what the future might bring.

An smart move from Fasa and microsoft would be releasing a demo for both 360 and pc! now that would be great! but eh...I'm not their PR. ;)

[quote name='valor19']Well, the more I read about it, the more I'm getting excited. There isn't anything coming out for the next month that interest me other than ShadowRun. And I'll probably have $60 burning a hole in my pocket.

^And I do realize C&C and Forza 2 come out this month. Just not feeling a racer or an RTS right now.[/quote]
What? you are not exited about tv's B actors giving you order and calling you comander? Whaaaaa? You don't want the chick from "House MD" on the little window on the left screen telling you useless information and also calling you COMANDER? O_O that's just crazy!!!!

ROFLMAO! Yea, I hear ya. As much as I like RTS (which is a new found love) I'm going to wait on a serius price drop on it, or some really nice cupons or Fry add.
count me out with Forza as well. Shadowrun FTW on this one.

man,im starting to feel like the Shadowrun cheerleader! *dizzy* :cry:

"You are coming to a sad realization...cancel or allowed? *sigh* Allow*

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']After reading previews, I think that I'll stick to my Genesis version, thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I would give this a shot if I had a 360. When they first announced a Shadowrun title for the 360, I was hoping MMORPG. This doesn't look bad, but not enough for me to cough up for a 360. I will wait until the smaller chip ones come out I guess.

dang it....$60. I guess listening to the 1up podcast got my hopes up that it would be at a budget price. I think I'm going to rent 1st and then if satisfied may purchase. I need a good shooter to get me through the summer months and this may just be the ticket.

I do hope though that some casual gamers decide to pick this title up or it will be dominated by the hardcores and will leave average gamers (ie. like me :)) out of the loop.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']dang it....$60. I guess listening to the 1up podcast got my hopes up that it would be at a budget price. I think I'm going to rent 1st and then if satisfied may purchase. I need a good shooter to get me through the summer months and this may just be the ticket.

I do hope though that some casual gamers decide to pick this title up or it will be dominated by the hardcores and will leave average gamers (ie. like me :)) out of the loop.[/quote]
Well, that's the price i found trough Gamestop.com. I don't know how much I trust their price any ways. Keep an eye open, we might find some CAG deal on it.
I think renting it is a good idea as well. Must of my gaming purchase are based upon reviews from gamers I know or from here, my own personal like and how well they play trough demos or renting it. Also, don't worry about been out of the loop, Ill be right behind ya ready to Rez ya ;)

Any word on when the Demo is coming out? Last I heard they were close and it should be out "by the end of the month" (this was on a podcast in mid-April).

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Any word on when the Demo is coming out? Last I heard they were close and it should be out "by the end of the month" (this was on a podcast in mid-April).[/quote]

I'm guessin it could be next week. The game is out this months on the 29th, so they can't take forever with it. Unless *gulp* there's a delay in the game it self.

I can't wait for this to come out, when it does does anybody want to get some CAG games going? Possibly a clan?
We are so close to release date now, any one wants to start a CAG Shadowrun group? I think Clan support is not added in the game, so will have to relay on friends list and the such.

ShadowCAG clan any one?

I'm planning on getting it Day 1. I'll happily play with anyone from CAG. We may not get a huge following due to the price and that other FPS going on at the time, but I'll still more than likely play the ish out of this game. I'll likely be Beta Threed out at that point anyway.

Add me up.

$60? for an online only game? The powers look cool and all, but I always though MS would reconsider this one at $40. I'd be real disappointed if this kind of behavior gets supported by the general public. Not to mention releasing it next week, right in the middle of that short glimpse into bliss of the Halo 3 beta which everyone's playing already.

It's my feeling that shadowrun is going to be a disaster on a global scale but I wanted to see what CAG thinks.

What's funny is that we have.. like.. ten preorders on Shadowrun. I've had at least three customers come in and ask when it's going to be released, I mention that it's online only, and they cancel their preorder on the spot.

It's going to fall flat on its face.

Well I'm one of those pissed off people that saw them take a license and them almost throw it out completely to make the game the team wanted to make now that they were actually funded from the license.

BAH. Shadowflop/crap/ruin for me.

three words:

sent to die

I have a feeling that not only is this game going to flop, but create a verbiage for future generations of gamers to use in reference to a doomed title flying in the face of all good decisions/reason. Real sad that "pulling a shadowrun" is how this (I've heard) great videogame IP utters it's final breath.

Add me to the group who didn't know it was online-only. I didn't have much of an interest in this anyway (probably why I didn't know), but if it's online-only my interest just dropped from "very little" to "less than none".

[quote name='argyle']Add me to the group who didn't know it was online-only. I didn't have much of an interest in this anyway (probably why I didn't know), but if it's online-only my interest just dropped from "very little" to "less than none".[/quote]

I didn't realise it was online only either, what a strange decision. I'll wait for some reviews but I doubt I'll be picking this up.

Hmm, I wonder how many people would buy Halo 3 if it were online only? That's what MS should do...online only for $60, single-player campaign for another $60. And don't forget the collector's editions! Spartan helmet in one, Covenant in the other...$120 a piece. MS could be printing money...more than they are.

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']This game is doomed to die. I've heard that even tho it's online only, it's being shipped with a very limited number of maps.[/QUOTE]

True - just 9 in the game. Also, don't expect any future map downloads (or patching/playbalancing for that matter) since MS is disbanding the studio (FASA) that made the game as soon as it's released.

Is there a monthly fee? I not, then i can somewhat understand the $60 price tag. If there is a monthly fee, kudos to MS for ruining a game before it even comes out :)

I actually don't think that the Halo 3 online only for $60 would change their sales at all. Well, online and lan only. Anyhow, back to Shadowrun...argh, online only. No way am I touching that. I wish that I had known. I pre-ordered long ago, but that's being cancelled.

I didn't think the beta was very fun, even if it offers up very different characters and their associated strategies. I wouldn't buy it in any event, though seeing online only is absurd - given how people talk on XBL, that oughta ratchet it up to an "AO" rating immediately. :lol:

So wait.
Is this just an online only FPS Deathmatch game..?
...?
............?

(I understand there's probably more modes and all..but still)

bread's done
Back