The OFFICIAL Shadowrun topic- Out Now!

[quote name='Johnny Postman']True - just 9 in the game. Also, don't expect any future map downloads (or patching/playbalancing for that matter) since MS is disbanding the studio (FASA) that made the game as soon as it's released.[/QUOTE]

Now this is the type of stuff that will get me to change my mind on something real fast, not just general whining over it being online only.

I was gonna pick it up for the PC, because it looked fun, but no future support at all means I'm gonna pass.

Supercake, yea, it's the same thing, people are just complaining because it uses the Shadowrun name... I doubt the game will "fall on its face at retail".

[quote name='elwood731']Hmm, I wonder how many people would buy Halo 3 if it were online only? That's what MS should do...online only for $60, single-player campaign for another $60. And don't forget the collector's editions! Spartan helmet in one, Covenant in the other...$120 a piece. MS could be printing money...more than they are.[/QUOTE]

Good point, although I'm sure that it will still sell like hotcakes because let's face it, who really buys a Halo game just for the campaign mode. Halo has always been about the multiplayer mode.

[quote name='CAG 79']Good point, although I'm sure that it will still sell like hotcakes because let's face it, who really buys a Halo game just for the campaign mode. Halo has always been about the multiplayer mode.[/quote]

Same thing goes for those people that bought Socom...they don't buy it for the single player, we all know that.

I wish they had just made a sequel to this game:
shadowrunsm2.jpg

And fuck. I guess all hope for a MechWarrior 5 is completely trashed now. Damn.

[quote name='Roufuss']No wonder there isn't a demo for this game yet.[/quote]
June 6th

Q: So the demo will be out on EXACTLY the 6th of June?
A: We're pretty confident. It's in certification at the moment. As folks who were in the beta know, unexpected problems can happen, so we're not swearing anything in blood. (Yes, we learn from experience.) But we want to give you as much information as we possibly can, and right now, we're slated for June 6th.
http://forums.shadowrun.com/forums/thread/58555.aspx

[quote name='Supercake']Wait, what about Counterstrike for Xbox? It had just Bots for SP. Isn't this the same thing?[/quote]
True. But CounterStrike already had a buttload of fans before it showed up on the XBOX.

Nice, seems like they want to get a demo out after the game has already hit, which seems kind of backwards.

Hopefully negative word of mouth won't kill this game before it even comes out.

Hopefully they drop a PC demo at the same time.

I'm probably going to get it, as I love games with guns. (Usually.)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Q: So the demo will be out on EXACTLY the 6th of June?
A: We're pretty confident. It's in certification at the moment. As folks who were in the beta know, unexpected problems can happen, so we're not swearing anything in blood. (Yes, we learn from experience.) But we want to give you as much information as we possibly can, and right now, we're slated for June 6th. [/QUOTE]

I'll give the demo a try on June 15 when it hits. :D

I don't get all of the "RRAAAHHHHH WHY NO SINGLE PLAYER" whining.

The breaking point is something lame like a tournament with bots? You would rather them focus on something that you would play for a grand total of 5 minutes before saying fuck this instead of the online code?

That said I loved the beta so I'll be in as soon as I can find a used copy on the cheap.

Honestly, it's not only the game itself that seems flawed (way too complicated for a console shooter). It's also the fact that the art design looks like pure crap. Reminds me of those damn troll dolls.

I've been waiting on this game to cure my shooter boredom that set in after waiting for R6:V new maps. To hear that the studio is going to be disbanded afterwards, likely w/o new maps is dampening my hopes even further. No single player actually sounded okay to me - nothing made that doesn't conform to netcode - I would expect that to mean a real sweet online experience. 9 maps?????????????????????? Really? only nine for an online only game? With no more coming?????? I've wanted to buy this game on day 1, now I don't know. Please give me more info on this because no DLC could sway me away from purchasing this game that I have been jonesing for.

What is the track record of other games that have had their demo's come out post release of a retail version? This makes me wonder if they are just trying to get people to buy it at $60 who are curious about the game. No marketing money being put into this game. Hell, not even a promo on the dashboard of XBL. Do they want this game to fail, or was it a consumer financed cross platform experiment all along?

[quote name='Sporadic']The breaking point is something lame like a tournament with bots? You would rather them focus on something that you would play for a grand total of 5 minutes before saying fuck this instead of the online code?[/QUOTE]
No, the breaking point is no campaign. I played through most or all of the Halo 2 campaign before I even went online with it for the first time. I have no interest in a multiplayer-only game. It's a cool feature and something I'll jump in on occasionally, but it's not my main interest. I only played 93 games of Halo 2 online and looking at the stats some of them were as little as a minute apart so they couldn't have been very long.

[quote name='Damian']No, the breaking point is no campaign. I played through most or all of the Halo 2 campaign before I even went online with it for the first time. I have no interest in a multiplayer-only game. It's a cool feature and something I'll jump in on occasionally, but it's not my main interest. I only played 93 games of Halo 2 online and looking at the stats some of them were as little as a minute apart so they couldn't have been very long.[/QUOTE]

There was never going to be a campaign for Shadowrun.

The best you were going to get was a tournament system with bots like Unreal Tournament.

It has always been a multiplayer game first and foremost.

Battlefield 2 had a campaign.. Or did you mean on PC, because that's a whole different scenario, with huge success of 1942 before that.

I guess if the game mechanics or visuals had blown us away people wouldn't mind mp only, but the game just looks dreadfully blah. The learning curve seems far too high for it to really catch on in the mass market, there is a dearth of maps, the disbandment of fasa makes future content unlikely, etc. etc. So many problems with this poor game.

Sounds like Counter-Strike all over again, which isn't that bad, as CS was teh #1 game on Xbox Live from the day it launched all the way up to the release of Halo 2. Too bad Halo 3 is right around the corner, otherwise this one might have had a chance.

I see it dropping to $20-40 by the time Halo sees release.

[quote name='Sporadic']There was never going to be a campaign for Shadowrun.[/QUOTE]
I hadn't really followed it that closely, so I hadn't heard. It's not like I was all excited for the game and then suddenly swore off it. I was a bit interested because I love the Shadorwun universe (from the pen and paer RPG) and I would play a game set in it. This news (to me) just means I don't have to bother.

[quote name='slickkill77']Thats basically how battlefield 2 is...im surprised everyones so mad[/quote]

Well Battlefield 2 had a reasonable single player campaign IMO, well the original Xbox version did, I couldn't get into single player on the 360 for some reason.

I'm not mad that it's online only, just surprised. As has been said before online play is something I'll do now and again. First and foremost I'm looking for a cracking single player experience.

Its free to play online right? Because i'll probably pick this up for around $20 so long as they keep the servers going...which they better. I don't pay $50 a year to play nothing.

the game should at least have co-op something for online if it's online only, but like this... fuck no.

Huxley is going to be online only as well, but at least it makes sense there.

The game license is such as waste for an online only FPS. There is so much back story and detail in the Shadowrun Universe that someone needs to come out with a fully details Action/Adventure/RPG set in this universe.

The old games for the SNES and the Genesis were great games, but with the technology now, you could go so much further into the realm that was contained in the Pen and Paper RPG and the book series.

I'll be watching the reviews of this to gain a better idea of who's in Microsoft's back pocket.

Shit like this game's pricepoint, continued 'red ring' reports, the joke that is Halo 2 on Vista, and the botched beta launch is all adding up to make 2007 Microsoft's 'P.R.' version of Sony's 2006. Thing is, I don't think Sony's got enough in the short-term pipeline to seize the opportunity. But boy, has Microsoft hung a curve for 'em.

[quote name='SynGamer']Its free to play online right? Because i'll probably pick this up for around $20 so long as they keep the servers going...which they better. I don't pay $50 a year to play nothing.[/quote]

if you have xbox live it is free. Only mmo charges twice.

[quote name='jollydwarf']

Shit like this game's pricepoint, continued 'red ring' reports, the joke that is Halo 2 on Vista, and the botched beta launch is all adding up to make 2007 Microsoft's 'P.R.' version of Sony's 2006. Thing is, I don't think Sony's got enough in the short-term pipeline to seize the opportunity. But boy, has Microsoft hung a curve for 'em.[/QUOTE]

Red Ring reports are still the very small minority, so they don't count and the "botched" beta wasn't nearly as bad as another very small group made it seem. This seems like a very poor attempt to link a couple of bad circumstances to Sony's terrible 2006. Honstely it's like comparing one small pimple to an outbreak of herpes.

I beta the leaving crap out of Shadowrun. I loved it, and I'm still going trough withdraws from not been able to play it. It just fun, different and It breath a new life into the Shadowrun world.

with that said.....WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY THINKING?

I didn't read the Beta forums much (just went to report bugs) but I thought there was going to be a story game play. It sure as heck felt like it.

As far as rumors goes (since I dont know this for sure) there's no...I repeat...NO Clan support.

It's been released while Halo is going and the demo is not till latter.

Are they triying to just sabotage the game? Is like they are doing everything in their power to kill it before it even comes out.

And only online play? I....Um...*speechless*

*goes to a corner and cry*

Red Ring reports are still the very small minority (That's subjective), so they don't count (Tell that to the people who are still being affected) and the "botched" beta wasn't nearly as bad as another very small group made it seem. (It will probably be recalled for year-end 'Big Stories of '07' lists) This seems like a very poor attempt to link a couple of bad circumstances to Sony's terrible 2006. Honstely it's like comparing one small pimple to an outbreak of herpes. (Well, actually, using your unsightly metaphor, it's more like comparing many pimples.)

You might think you know what my agenda is with a post like that, but you'd be surprised as to what console of the two I have and which one I don't have. I do not discriminate when it comes to calling "Bullshit" on anyone, and as I see it, Microsoft is cumulatively squandering a lot of goodwill that they should be building...and I'm skeptical if Sony is going to capitalize on it.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']The game license is such as waste for an online only FPS. There is so much back story and detail in the Shadowrun Universe that someone needs to come out with a fully details Action/Adventure/RPG set in this universe.

The old games for the SNES and the Genesis were great games, but with the technology now, you could go so much further into the realm that was contained in the Pen and Paper RPG and the book series.[/quote]
dont sell this idea short. from what i'm hearing they just might do a action rpg on the series

Jolly- Red rings of death is big issue, no question. But linking H2 vista and a day late beta launch to red rings of death and saying that is the end of MS good will/good PR is giving consumer power too much credit. Not all 360 users play H3, and a majority of beta players are people who paid for or rented crackdown solely to pay for H3 beta - people who I would consider to be "into" gaming.

I'm a reasonably happy 360 owner, have had one console die on me, and I am still happy playing MS games, at the least because there is nothing better in town.

I see stupid moves like what MS is doing to shadownrun by not giving it any prerelease support, and the whole free dlc/epic maps stuff as more harmful that a slight snafu with H3 beta. H2 on vista I am not familiar with any glaring issues exept I suppose it won't sell well.

This game is another symptom of problems MS has selling the game prior to release similar to viva pinata. And no Shaqfuin campaign could turn some gamers off. Do you like the idea of a new counterstrike for 360? (nine maps aside).

This is gonna be like Iron Phoenix. Great idea implemented horribly. I'm all for online only games but they better be the best game on the system at time of release. I'll wait until the price drop.

I suppose there is going to be no map maker or anything on the PC version, similar to Halo 2?

At least modding tools *might* be able to save this one...

I just can't believe they are going to disband FASA right after the game is released, so the chances of seeing new maps or modes is 0. It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to Shadowrun and playing with some 360 people.

:rofl: @ this:

Criticism of Shadowrun has focused in part on the changes made in order to balance the PC and console versions in online play. FASA has implemented a feature which will distort the PC's aiming reticule during quick turns[5]. PC players, who have a more sensitive control scheme, are able to turn significantly faster than their controller brethren and would have gained an unfair advantage. The console players will also have a form of autoaim since controllers are not as capable of 'pixel-accuracy' adjustments.

Does anyone have a hard link to FASA getting disbanded?

To follow up, do you think MS is purposely trying to scuttle Shadowrun's sales as a publisher? they are releasing Forza 2 alongside it on same day, which had its own tv show for god's sake. What would be the benefit to a halfharted attempt to sell the game?

I think i would have rather seen like 5 maps included at a $20 price tag. And then have the other maps available for download. I mean, at $20, its almost guaranteed to sell, and then the extra maps are there for those that want them (which i'm sure they will snatch up since the game cost $20).

Firstly, there is no way MS will sell a brand new game for 20-30 bucks on a shelf next to games for 60 bucks. Even if it lacks features. 40 bucks likely not either. 50 bucks however, they could do and then say that it is ten bucks cheaper because it has no offline mode. Cheapest 360 retail release I can think of was fusion frenzy 2, and that was still an utter flopat 40. they're givin 'em away. A small concession of 10 bucks off sure would do a lot to drive up demand for a game that many have not heard of nor are any eagarly awaiting. But, as we have seen on XBLA, a fortified wall of perceived value will do a lot to artificially drive up the perception of value in a purchaser's mind.

Unless there is more credit to the rumors of FASA closing that the link above, I will be picking this up at retail price. Where's my best buy coupons when I need 'em?

This is gonna be like Iron Phoenix.

Oh my God!...I was just thinking about that game out of the blue Sunday while listening to the latest "1up Yours" go off about Shadowrun, but I couldn't think of the name of it! Good call! I remember getting the preview of it on a demo disc when I still had my OXM subscription (Good riddance!), and then promptly never hearing about it again.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Red Ring reports are still the very small minority (That's subjective), so they don't count (Tell that to the people who are still being affected) and the "botched" beta wasn't nearly as bad as another very small group made it seem. (It will probably be recalled for year-end 'Big Stories of '07' lists) This seems like a very poor attempt to link a couple of bad circumstances to Sony's terrible 2006. Honstely it's like comparing one small pimple to an outbreak of herpes. (Well, actually, using your unsightly metaphor, it's more like comparing many pimples.)

You might think you know what my agenda is with a post like that, but you'd be surprised as to what console of the two I have and which one I don't have. I do not discriminate when it comes to calling "Bullshit" on anyone, and as I see it, Microsoft is cumulatively squandering a lot of goodwill that they should be building...and I'm skeptical if Sony is going to capitalize on it.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't care what system you own, it doesn't change the fact that your "making a mountain out a mole hill." I really doubt IGN or Gamespot picked up news about the slight delay in the Halo beta, much less even remembering it a week from now. M$ isn't doing anything but annoying an extremly small lot of internet nerds (myslef included), where as Sony pissed off a great deal of consumers, internet savy or not (thanks NY Times and Times Magazine!!).

bread's done
Back