The Official "This game is too Hard" Thread

It's only really hard if you don't know what your doing. Once you figure that out, it's not too bad.

If XBLA games count, I have to count in Ikaruga. That game kicks my ass on a daily basis.

I'd also have to second the COD series, but that's probably just because I'm so used to run and gun shooters and not used to the type of shooter CoD is.

Street Fighter IV. I really don't get how it's possible to beat Seth on the hardest difficulty level without continuing. Even on easy it usually takes me a couple of tries before I get lucky.

Overall I think this generation is great for difficulty since nearly every game (even JRPGs!) has selectable difficulty levels. Hardcore players can get the challenge they want, and pansies like me who don't have a ton of time for games can plow through the campaign without having to die and restart a million times.

Oh, hey, I thought of something. There are two hard parts in Half-Life 2! The first is the final turret section of Nova Prospekt, though there is a trick to it that can make it pretty damn easy.

The other is the bit where you have to protect Alyx while she disables a shield in the middle of an enormous courtyard. There's very little cover in the courtyard, but the alleyways from which the Combine come has a fair bit - but of course, they're coming from all different directions, so you can't take advantage of that. Pain in the ass, that fight was.

But... not really "too hard", I guess. Unless you did the Nova Prospekt thing wrong. THAT was painful.

None are "too" hard. I like a challenge. If a game is programmed to be difficult and rewards skillful/stylish play then I'm willing to learn and endure. A lot of gamers today aren't, and they give up too easily.

Buggy games, or games that are difficult because of poor design, on the other hand, are just shitty games... so I don't even know if those would qualify either.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - This was due to 'cheapness' IMO.
Trying to keep perfect cuts (no wasted squares) on some of the last levels of Box Life was absolutely brain melting.

That's all I got.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is the first that popped into my mind.

Pretty much anything that's remotely difficult would fit the list for me.

My free time has dwindled, along with my interest in gaming, so I just have no patience for hard games where I have to do shit over and over to get passed it, or waste time trying to solve hard puzzles (Braid) and so on.

I generally just want something I can just put in and veg out for a bit without getting frustrated or stuck as I play to just unwind and relax, not to get any kind of sense of accomplishment etc..

So my limited gaming time tends to go to stuff like Rock Band/Guitar Hero (on medium), first person shooters on normal/medium, WRPGs like Oblivion with the difficulty sliders down a few clicks so I rarely die and can just enjoy exploring and so on.

Only things I played on harder levels in recent years were Gears 1 and 2 which I finished in Insane in co-op, and those were more from my buddy wanting to do it.

[quote name='Maklershed']I've only played the demo so far but something tells me Trials HD will fit the bill.[/QUOTE]

You would be correct. The expert levels in that game were some of the hardest things to do this gen.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Not gonna lie, I found portal extremely hard. Commence Booing.[/QUOTE]
I hope you don't ever try Portal: The Flash Version Mappack. For me, Portal was challenging, but this is truly hard.

That mappack notwithstanding, I don't think I've run into any really hard games this gen. If DS games count, then Rondo of Swords was another asskicker.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Honestly, Gears of War single player (not co-op) on anything but Casual just frustrates and pisses me off.[/QUOTE]

Same. I just played solo on casual in both to enjoy the graphics full screen since I did local co-op in full screen.

The first game was a bit much even in Co-op on insane--but my friend really wanted to finish so I stuck it out.

The second wasn't bad, honestly I don't think Insane on it was even as hard as Hardcore on Gears 1.

Hardcore on Gears 1 I got to the part in the first chapter where you're in the little circular area with cover and Locusts come at you from all sides and you have to seal the holes and I said fuck this, I'm dying without knowing who the fuck is shooting me.

That took me a while to do as well. I did on Insane by myself a few months ago. I'm still looking for a partner to go through Act 4 on Insane as well. But alas, no one plays Gears 1 anymore.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Mega Man 9 (XBLA, PSN) is pretty hard. Does it count as current gen?[/QUOTE]
I'd say it counts as current gen, but not as too hard.

You did, however, remind me of the upcoming Wiiware game "Super Meat Boy". If the Newgrounds original is any indicator, that thing will be absolutely, mind-bendingly unfair.

Dead Rising wasn't exactly hard, but it's save system made the game unnecessarily difficult and frustrating. I also found Castlevania SOTN (the only one I've played) insanely beyond me crazy.

[quote name='blueshinra']I hope you don't ever try Portal: The Flash Version Mappack. For me, Portal was challenging, but this is truly hard.
[/QUOTE]

I liked that pack. It was hard, but the solutions were real headslappers (as in "Duh, why didn't I see it earlier?")

But I agree there don't seem to be as many hard games this generation as there were the last. The last truly hard game that I actually took the time to beat was the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden (not Black)--the only game I've ever played that caused me to break a controller out of frustration.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'd say it counts as current gen, but not as too hard.

You did, however, remind me of the upcoming Wiiware game "Super Meat Boy". If the Newgrounds original is any indicator, that thing will be absolutely, mind-bendingly unfair.[/QUOTE]

Mega Man 9 is hard until you stop and think about what you're doing for 5 seconds. Then it becomes mildly challenging.

COD: Modern Combat on the toughest difficulty when you get to the TV station. That level stumped me, I couldn't get past it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Mega Man 9 is hard until you stop and think about what you're doing for 5 seconds. Then it becomes mildly challenging.[/QUOTE]
I'll admit that I still have trouble doing that one jump on Jewel Man's level where you have the swinging platform right in front of the wall of spikes. And that I can't beat Magma Man without mah tornadoes.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'll admit that I still have trouble doing that one jump on Jewel Man's level where you have the swinging platform right in front of the wall of spikes. And that I can't beat Magma Man without mah tornadoes.[/QUOTE]

Um...just walk off? Also, if you wait an extra split second on Magma Man at the beginning you can kill him with all your Tornado Weapon energy. No need to switch back to your Buster.

I always have problems with Geometry Wars Evolved and Galaga Legions. I have them on my 360 and I never get very far in them. I'm thinking about going back to 200/200 them since I haven't put to much time into them, but they always kill me. For some reason my high score never saves in GW. When I exited the game, go play something else, then return to it later on, the score is never there. It goes back to 10k. Is it supposed to be like that?

Now that I think about it, Geometry Wars Galaxies on DS is super hard, only because they made the controls extra broken. I hate that game. so. much.

Also, does I Want To Be The Guy count?

[quote name='KingDox']EDF on the 360 is pretty much impossible to beat on Hardest & Inferno without a ton of grinding. So maybe it's not "hard", but spending 10+ hours to level up your HP isn't something I consider easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Defense_Force_2017[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you mentioned this, me and my friend have been attempting to beat it on inferno on and off for about a year now. It really turns in to - Beat level > Get Stuck on Level > Grind for a half hour > Beat Level > Get stuck on Level > Get bored and play Halo 3

It's going to be so epic when we beat it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Um...just walk off?[/quote]I mean the bit right before the giant falling rock miniboss. Walk off, jump off - don't matter. I still have a nasty habit of hitting the spike wall just above the door.

[quote name='KingBroly']Also, if you wait an extra split second on Magma Man at the beginning you can kill him with all your Tornado Weapon energy. No need to switch back to your Buster.[/QUOTE]
Again, don't matter. It's not that I have trouble killing him, it's that I find him impossible without using the tornadoes. And that angers me.

[quote name='The Crotch']I mean the bit right before the giant falling rock miniboss. Walk off, jump off - don't matter. I still have a nasty habit of hitting the spike wall just above the door.

Again, don't matter. It's not that I have trouble killing him, it's that I find him impossible without using the tornadoes. And that angers me.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that part. I thought you meant later in the level with a narrow passageway.

If you've finished all of N+ without swearing, I applaud you.

This game pisses me off to no end, but I'm determined to get through it.

Gears of War on the higher difficulties single or co-op
Halo 3 single player on the highest difficulty
Ninja Gaiden on VC is fuck'n ridiculous

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']If you've finished all of N+ without swearing, I applaud you.

This game pisses me off to no end, but I'm determined to get through it.[/QUOTE]

I can also vouch for n+, at least on the 360. The DS version is a a lot easier and the later levels on the 360 are just plain frustrating.

The two that come to my mind though not current gen are:

Shinobi (PS2) - Probably the hardest action game I've ever played. There are no check-points (except for bosses) and most of the later levels are purely on the wall with death pits below you. Not to mention you loose health over time and have to kill stuff to stop that. I think I beat around 2/3 of that game and then just gave up because it was getting so ridicoulus, and I garuntee that if I was to play it again I'd have to start at the beginning because you seriously have to get the feel of that game to actually play it well; not that I ever plan on doing that. I actually still kind of like the game though, its insane difficulty made it enjoyable while I was playing it.

also,

Unlimited Saga (PS2) - I think this is just a combination of having some of the most confusing and bad desgin ever and me just not understanding how much worked in the game which was caused by the extreme wackyness of the game. I mean pressing R3 to spend a turn and rest and regain health... didn't figure that one out for a while. I could only stomach like 2 hours of this game to see how bad it really was, and in that 2 hours I still had no clue what was going on in combat, how the skill selection at the end of missions worked, or why the third dungeon I did decided that making only the current square of its board game dungeon visible (kind of like a fog of war) was a good idea.

bread's done
Back