The Official We Ski Thread - $29.99 - Out Now!

JJSP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
We-Ski-Logo.jpg

[quote name='IGN.com']We Ski features an entire mountain to explore, complete with a ski school, freestyle skiing, moguls and slaloms, photography, and a variety of other events. Players can even try their hand at night skiing while enjoying the spectrum of fireworks that color the sky. Up to four skiers can test their skills on more than a dozen runs from the bunny slopes to the most challenging Black Diamonds. Not only can players carve through the trails using the motion-based controls but they can also mix in the Wii Balance Board for a whole new level of realism. Players can ski using their own Mii or create a new character with a host of customizable options including changeable face and body types. Boosting the customization feature, additional skis, poles, goggles, and costumes can be unlocked.
[/QUOTE]

Links
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yM36y72ecw5org4PGXT6lgYZXYfIdy-U#overview
http://www.weskipatrol.com

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_FlLPqfbI[/MEDIA]

- 4 player skiing!
- Wii Balance Board compatible!
- Now's the chance to skii your Mii into a trii!​

Bought it tonight. Haven't played it yet. Will probably be horrible at it. Let's go skiing!

[quote name='PeteyPie75']I was just wondering about this game. Let me know how it is. You playing it with the balance board too?[/QUOTE]
Once I pick up Wii Fit tomorrow, I will be. I'm sure hilarious hijinks are soon to follow.

I'm waiting for impressions and reviews to. AFAIK, IGN panned it, while 1UP gave it an A+.

--R.J.

I just put in some time with We Ski, which I've had since last week but waited for today to play with the Balance Board. I'd say it's worth about $20 after the time I have spent with it. It's not a great game, but it's not a terrible game. It's barely a game, really, but it doesn't have the "non-game" charm that some of these have that keep you coming back for more.

It does a decent job of simulating a ski hill; you can go anywhere freely and can just ski or complete goals. If you choose to just ski, you'll still get a rating for thee run that is logged and that you can try to beat later. There are random skiiers with goals to complete that are a nice touch and give the game a Tony Hawk feel. I like that, to travel the mountain, you are given several options based on how much you want to watch your Mii wobble around while sitting. You can ski to the lift and get on and ride all the way to the top. Or you can get on the lift and skip the ride. Or you can just bring up you map and jump to the top of any run. The Mii integration is nice, expecially since a lot of the stock characters are hideous.

My biggest complaint is that the balance board integration is not fantastic like it should be and it feels more than a little tacked on (Ski School and the other skiiers only refer to remote/nunchuk control and just ignore the fact that you just went out and dropped $100 on a stupid balance board. So insensitive) And while the goals are nice, at this point I don't feel compelled to complete them. There's nothing substantial to unlock (that I can tell), so your drive to play the game has to be mainly the enjoyment of skiing. which I have, but I don't know that I'll haul this out all that often the way I do with games like Mario Kart that have relevant unlockables.

What are the controls like for the Wiimote and Nunchuk? Are the motions in a skiing type fashion? :whistle2:k

What makes the balance board not so fantastic. Playing the ski game on Wii Fit, I found it to be TOO sensitive (but in the games defense, I only played it a few times).

But what exactly is there to do? Is it racing? Tricks? Both?
It looks like it's 28.99 on Buy.com (free shipping), so GCO would make it $18.99..:whistle2:k

[quote name='lilboo']What are the controls like for the Wiimote and Nunchuk? Are the motions in a skiing type fashion? :whistle2:k

What makes the balance board not so fantastic. Playing the ski game on Wii Fit, I found it to be TOO sensitive (but in the games defense, I only played it a few times).

But what exactly is there to do? Is it racing? Tricks? Both?
It looks like it's 28.99 on Buy.com (free shipping), so GCO would make it $18.99..:whistle2:k[/quote]
I don't know if you've played Winter Sports, but without the Balance Board the controls are pretty similar. With or without the board, it's basically the same thing - lean to turn, push a button and lean to carve and turn or stop. The Wiimote and Nunchuck are used nicely like poles to speed up if you push back at the same time on both, and if you alternate you can skate your skis to get started.

The board is less sensitive than the Wii Fit skiing, but still pretty touchy. I wish you could adjust this, but I think with only a little more time and Wii Fit balance training you get used to it (Last night I finally figured out how to stay steady enough to four-star the Wii Fit ski jump). It still feels pretty natural; not exactly like really skiing because there's no resistance, but pretty close to most arcade skiing/skateboarding games.

You're given an entire mountain to ski, and you can casually go where you want and do what you want without time limit or goal pressure. The presentation is straightforward, and except for the fact that the people have huge heads it looks like a real ski mountain and has different terrain and types of grooming. If you choose, you can ski up to people with thought balloons over their heads and participate in races, contests and missions. There is jumping and there are tricks; neither are overly complicated.

I paid $16.99 from buy.com for mine and I feel like it was worth it. It really does feel like a $20 game; good, but without anything to make you just have to play it the next day. Unlike Wii Fit, which right now has me thinking about those crazy push-ups where you have to stick one arm in the air in between each push-up.

I just picked this up last night....a little dissapointing for me, I paid $29.99...it is probably worth $20. We will get some use out of it since we own Wii Fit, but probably just every once in a while when we get board with Wii Fit.

frys.com has We Ski for $24.99. It's not a great deal, but it's slighly cheaper than most other places. I have no idea how much shipping is from frys.com, and I don't know what the B&M price is.

I just got Wii Fit and We Ski for Father's day and my son and I have spent about 8 hours playing it already.

We Ski does a great job of simulating the skiing experience. It is to Skiing what Wii Bowling is to bowling. If you emulate the skiing motion with your hips and balance, the feeling of control is extremely accurate, IMO. Using the Z and B buttons to wedeln through the moguls became intuitive after about 2 tries as was tilting the controls 90 degrees to simulate a crouch for speed.

Tricks were a bit, er, trickier to pull off, sometimes not registering - but not half as difficult and frustrating as SSX Blur. Camera issues were common when trying to re-direct your view to move in a different direction from a stand still position. Still, these are minor annoyances and didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game. The MAJOR annoyance is the cord between the nunchuck and Wiimote which slaps you in the legs every time you use the double waggle motion to move your skier forward from a standing position. If ever there were an argument for a wireless nunchuck, this game makes it.

After about 2 hours and 4 beers, I was having so much fun just skiing around and doing tricks I didn't realize it was nearly midnight - well past my son's bedtime. I thought to myself that this kind of immersive experience was exactly what videogames are supposed to be about. Without the WiiFit board and waggle, this game wouldn't be worth a second look. But in context with the new controller, I can safely say I'll never want to joystick my way down a virtual mountain ever again - even though it's only in 480p and not HD.

However, the "mountain" of only about 12 runs is probably the biggest drawback. This game could have used a bigger hill or, at least a few different locations for variety's sake. The depth and low quantity of content in this game make it more of an expanded tech demo, but still a nice compliment to the skiing in We fit. I mean, "search for lost skiers and objects and delivering hamburger" game modes are useless, last minute add-ons to make it appear there are lots of gameplay options when the only main options are Race, Slalom, and, Moguls.

I can't say it's a must buy at $30, but at $20 it would be hard to pass up. I'd love to see a sequel to this game with more freedom of movement, more options, better unlockables, more slopes, and some form of online play, but that might be a long wait.

[quote name='bmulligan']
After about 2 hours and 4 beers, I was having so much fun just skiing around and doing tricks I didn't realize it was nearly midnight - well past my son's bedtime. I thought to myself that this kind of immersive experience was exactly what videogames are supposed to be about. Without the WiiFit board and waggle, this game wouldn't be worth a second look. But in context with the new controller, I can safely say I'll never want to joystick my way down a virtual mountain ever again - even though it's only in 480p and not HD.
[/quote]
This sums up how I feel about the Wii (and beers) in general. Despite my not-exactly-glowing review posted earlier in this thread, I'm ultimately very happy with this game the same way I am with Wii Sports, Williams Pinball, Ghost Squad and as of tonight GT Pro Series. These games are totally immersive and make me feel like I have an arcade in my house.

It's also nice to have something other than Wii Fit to use with the board. I am a little sad that you can't use two boards at the same time though - I bought two so my wife and I could ski side-by-side (something that hasn't happened in "real life" since we decided to have kids), but ended up selling one to a friend for cost since we couldn't use it.

Yes, being able to use 2 boards at the same time would be great. I'd buy another one if the promise of software support were more than just wishes.

Just for having the board, I'm now obligated to buy every piece of software for it that comes out. Hopefully we'll see more support than we got for our bongo controllers and dance mats on the cube.

sounds like you'd be better off getting a used copy of SSX Blur. Although it doesn't feature usage of the balance board it's still a great Skiing/snowbarding game, sounds like it's a lot deeper than this Wii Ski.

Thanks for reviews all.

[quote name='tomfoolery']sounds like you'd be better off getting a used copy of SSX Blur. Although it doesn't feature usage of the balance board it's still a great Skiing/snowbarding game, sounds like it's a lot deeper than this Wii Ski.

Thanks for reviews all.[/quote]
They're totally different experiences. I really like Blur, and think it captures the feeling of snowboarding pretty accurately, but it's very "extreme". We Ski is very casual and laid-back, and fairly realistic.

bread's done
Back