The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I don't know if there are any CAGs in the area stocking up credit for a PS3, but the BB/GR in Powder Springs, GA on Dallas Highway @ Mars Hill has two 60 GB models right now.

Just picked up a complete copy of Ico with my credit there.

[quote name='jmillion']so i went to another BB last nite i never been before, and signed up for membership w/ same card i had @ previous store. i expected the flag to carry over, but it didnt. is it because i never been there before? so anyway i traded in some games & put it on the current value card i have.
[/quote]

The "ban" you received was simply from that specific store. A corporate ban will stick with your account no matter where you go. I've only heard of 3 accounts ever receiving corporate bans. One of them was because they were trading in stolen merchandise (they would steal movies from one Blockbuster and then go to the one down the street and trade them in). I don't remember the specifics of the other 2, but I believe one of them was here on CAG (they got an official letter from corporate and everything).

Anyone know how much UT3 is trading for atm? Deciding whether to trade it or try and return it to GameStop without a receipt (which got shredded in the laundry).

[quote name='x_fiddle']$.50 on a dollar isn't too bad, just not that great on a lower value game when you take into account time and gas doing all the dirty work. Too bad its not $16 = $32.[/QUOTE]

When you think about it, the MUA/Forza flip is just a little more than $0.50 on the dollar.

Depending on tax and edge, the game is roughly $19 and you get $47 back for it. So in this deal, you'd be paying $0.40 to get the same $1.

Obviously not half as great as MM or perhaps even Beowulf, but it's a great return nonetheless.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']When you think about it, the MUA/Forza flip is just a little more than $0.50 on the dollar.

Depending on tax and edge, the game is roughly $19 and you get $47 back for it. So in this deal, you'd be paying $0.40 to get the same $1.

Obviously not half as great as MM or perhaps even Beowulf, but it's a great return nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Yes but unless you are lucky and can trade in multiple copies at once you don't get much of a return on each visit. With MUA/Forza with B2G1F it was essentially $14 (or less with edge) for 2 games which traded in for $47, thats a hell of a lot better than $8 into $15 in my book :) Better than Beowulf and MM imo.

Maybe I just value my time more than most.

[quote name='x_fiddle']Yes but unless you are lucky and can trade in multiple copies at once you don't get much of a return on each visit. With MUA/Forza with B2G1F it was essentially $14 (or less with edge) for 2 games which traded in for $47, thats a hell of a lot better than $8 into $15 in my book :) Better than Beowulf and MM imo.

Maybe I just value my time more than most.[/quote]

Yup i'm skipping this one as well. When you figure in PMing and then the trade trips it's not worth it. Besides who needs more GR credit?:roll:

[quote name='runpuddrun']Are there any good flips still available today or within the next week?[/quote]
Forza 2/ Marvel Alliance combo pack from GS = $18 with edge card trades at GR for $47 (32/15). b2g1f sale might be on today still I forget

[quote name='$hady']Yup i'm skipping this one as well. When you figure in PMing and then the trade trips it's not worth it. Besides who needs more GR credit?:roll:[/quote]Exactly, I was going to convert my last $80 of Gamestop credit into $250 gamerush credit and then I figured there will eventually be something Gamerush won't get in stock and i'll have to pay cash for it at gamestop, yech.

[quote name='$hady']
Forza 2/ Marvel Alliance combo pack from GS = $18 with edge card trades at GR for $47 (32/15). b2g1f sale might be on today still I forget[/QUOTE]

I believe the GR used price of forza 2 is $35 so I don't think the trade-in will hold but you never know at Gamerush. Today is likely the last day for $32 Forza trades, which reminds me I need to go dump the last 3 copies I have. Also the B2G1F was supposed to end yesterday so a very YMMV if stores are still doing it.

[quote name='djkunai']Happy Dump Day![/QUOTE]

That is what you said last week (with MM?) but it did not drop. However, I think it will surely drop on Tuesday. Have to dump off my last copy later today.

Any word on one of the old Buy 2, Get 1 free sales? Buy 1, Get 1 half-off was also great. I haven't seen these sales in over a year, though, but maybe one of the insiders knows something...

[quote name='unforeseen']That is what you said last week (with MM?) but it did not drop. However, I think it will surely drop on Tuesday. Have to dump off my last copy later today.[/QUOTE]

Heh - it seemed like everyone moved on from MM. I actually was able to trade my last copy in yesterday to a far-flung BB where they had never heard of my troubles ;).

I skipped the whole Forza/MUA thing as it seemed like WAY too much trouble/work just to convert useful credit into useless credit (even at double/triple or whatever). First having to find 3 copies at the same EB/GS (for B2G1), then having to spread those around to the places I could still trade at (which means driving a 40-50 mile loop) before Tuesday - not worth it in the slightest. I figured, sure, I can maybe get a handful of future new release games at Blockbuster for $50-$60. But then I could just wait for those same games to drop to $20-$30 and use my EB/GS credit on them then (amounting to the same "doubling" of credit) - then all that time buying/trading games would pretty much be for naught.

Also, I still haven't called to see what's up with lifting the trade restrictions on my account. I did find out that my little local store had the same note on my account, but the guy there said he'd remove it himself if I get the OK from the other store (where the manager was going to talk to the DM). If I can get my trade accounts back at these 2 closest stores that's good enough for me. I wouldn't have bothered doing another 4 store trade-in anyway as it wasn't worth the hassle BEFORE my account got restricted, let alone afterwards.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']When you think about it, the MUA/Forza flip is just a little more than $0.50 on the dollar.

Obviously not half as great as MM or perhaps even Beowulf, but it's a great return nonetheless.[/quote]

You've got to think about it this way;

I first started by trading in Beowulfs which were fetching $36 for $10.
With those, I purchased copies of Halo 3 which were then flipped to GS with extra 60% (my local stores were giving the extra 50%).
I then purchased copies of MUA/Forza 2 (and Darkness, HOV, etc.) with the B2G1 back to BB/GR.
Did I also mention that for every $50 I got an extra $5 gift card?

I don't feel like doing the math on this at the moment, but that's almost pennies on the dollar.

[quote name='edavis0780']You've got to think about it this way;

I first started by trading in Beowulfs which were fetching $36 for $10.
With those, I purchased copies of Halo 3 which were then flipped to GS with extra 60% (my local stores were giving the extra 50%).
I then purchased copies of MUA/Forza 2 (and Darkness, HOV, etc.) with the B2G1 back to BB/GR.
Did I also mention that for every $50 I got an extra $5 gift card?

I don't feel like doing the math on this at the moment, but that's almost pennies on the dollar.[/QUOTE]

well yah thats exactly what I did as well ;) (including the gift card bonus) but didn't want to type up all the details and figured most people wouldn't get that in depth. I guessed wrong :p

I actually have a few more value cards I was going to convert into $50 +$5 gift cards today if I can swing it.

[quote name='Skelah']Any good way to turn my gamerush credit into gamestop credit?[/QUOTE]

Probably not untill a b2g1f used sale comes along at Gamerush, and I can't even remember when the last one was. Or...until gamestop offers up another +30% trade in coupon. Neither of those will probably happen anytime soon but you never know.

Well GameFly just called to tell me they were cancelling all but 2 of my 9 remaining orders of Two Worlds (got 15 in one shipment, the rest were put on hold). I told them to go ahead and cancel all 9 just so I wouldn't need to risk having 2 I couldn't flip after tomorrow. If Darkness holds I'll order 15 copies of that instead. And tonight I'm getting drunk.

Nobody knows what the price will be. I dropped off mine earlier cuz I didn't want to risk it changing.

Wonder why they canceled your orders.. maybe they think your trying to start up a rival mail order game business why else would you buy that many lol.

[quote name='doubledown']SideQuestion:

Anyone ever see the 360 RACING WHEEL at GR?[/quote]Good question. I've been wondering if they carry the 120 HD so when I take in my other trades I'll ask about both.

By the way, I traded in the following yesterday confirming some values were still the same which of course may change tomorrow. Maybe nothing will change with the holiday and all as I may not make it there with my other MM!

360 Monster Madness 28.50
360 Call of Juarez 15
360 XBLA Unplugged 6
360 Blitz 19

Wish I could have found more Blitz. In the meanwhile, I'm contemplating whether or not to trade my last Blitz. . .

[quote name='JJSP']Any idea on Tony Hawk PG 360? It's 14.75 (LE) at Target.[/QUOTE]

Oh it finally dropped, eh? The game is only what, two months old, so I'm guessing its a $32 or $36 at GR!

Well my shipment arrived so I decided to see how much all the items would trade for and boy did I discover what a real dick the manager at the new store I started trading at was. The first red flag was the fact that only the manager can do trades... over he comes and starts scrutinizing the disks like he worked for the wherehouse (they are fussy bastards, not a single scratch is allowed). He quickly (well actually rather slowly) rejects 4 of the 6 items I had, because of tiny chips on the outside edges of the disks. My theory about this is that gamefly routinely resurface the disks they sell, and their process scrapes the edges of the disks. He accepts two of the 6 games I had (Forza & Two worlds), both duplicates of copies I wanted to keep. So screw him, they were what I really wanted to trade. Makes me take my license out of my wallet, this is a real sign of a major prick, and matches line by line my information.

He completes my trade, but if red flags are flying this guy is painting them red. It' the store in Costa Mesa on Harbour if anyone wants to avoid being hassled.

[quote name='stoned99']Well my shipment arrived so I decided to see how much all the items would trade for and boy did I discover what a real dick the manager at the new store I started trading at was. The first red flag was the fact that only the manager can do trades... over he comes and starts scrutinizing the disks like he worked for the wherehouse (they are fussy bastards, not a single scratch is allowed). He quickly (well actually rather slowly) rejects 4 of the 6 items I had, because of tiny chips on the outside edges of the disks. My theory about this is that gamefly routinely resurface the disks they sell, and their process scrapes the edges of the disks. He accepts two of the 6 games I had (Forza & Two worlds), both duplicates of copies I wanted to keep. So screw him, they were what I really wanted to trade. Makes me take my license out of my wallet, this is a real sign of a major prick, and matches line by line my information.

He completes my trade, but if red flags are flying this guy is painting them red. It' the store in Costa Mesa on Harbour if anyone wants to avoid being hassled.[/quote]
oh man you serious? I just traded in 2 copies of MUA & Forza + a Two Worlds + GRAW + 2 Darknesses + a Beowulf about 2 days ago at that store. The guy working there that did my trade was from UCI. He did the trades easily even though many of games were missing covers. I didnt even have a trading account at that store, he just put the money on the rush card.

I have the first warning for traders in the SoCal area (includes you too Kunai). The store in La Mirada (Imperial and La Mirada) has a new manager who is actively looking for reasons to suspend accounts. He accused me of "scamming" Blockbuster because I traded in a Beowulf when they were selling for $20. I only traded in two copies to that location (on different days). I don't believe that this is an area wide ban, only a store specific (and possibly Beowulf specific) ban. The store manager's name is Stephen (with Store Manager on the nametag) so if you see him and plan on flipping some games, come back when he's not there. I'm not really worried because I have a variety of stores I can go to, but it's pretty deceptive to say I was "scamming" anyone. It's not my fault that some genius at corperate decides to change TIVs on Tuesday when selling prices are changed on Sunday. WTF?!

Besides that, I recently noticed something strange on one of the gift cards I recieved. Take a look at this, and tell me how anyone can play any game (outside of GeoWars) with this thing:
GiftCard.jpg

I know it's a bastardized version of the Xbox S controller. In this case, the S stands for Symetrical.

lol its for people who are ambidextrous or have four hands. Happy new year and thank god my resolution is to stop flipping crap at these damn blockbusters. It is not worth the hassle and guilt for me.

[quote name='stoned99']...over he comes and starts scrutinizing the disks like he worked for the wherehouse (they are fussy bastards, not a single scratch is allowed). He quickly (well actually rather slowly) rejects 4 of the 6 items I had, because of tiny chips on the outside edges of the disks. My theory about this is that gamefly routinely resurface the disks they sell, and their process scrapes the edges of the disks.[/QUOTE]
I noticed this on both disks I recieved from gamefly :( One of the 2 was actually denied trade at all of the BB's i frequented.
[quote name='wolfpackgamer']Happy new year and thank god my resolution is to stop flipping crap at these damn blockbusters. It is not worth the hassle and guilt for me.[/QUOTE]
I'm about at that point myself too. I did a ton of GR trading/flipping in the early days and stopped for a long time and only recently jumped in due to Beowulf/Monster Madness and now realize again how much of a pain in the ass it is considering the gas and time spent as well as the guilt for abusing the system.

My resolution is to take advantage of these flipping opportunities sooner! Damn me for missing the Buy 5 For $25 by an hour! lol

[quote name='unforeseen']Just quoted $9 for MM.
Game over earlier than usual.[/QUOTE]

Nooooo, I still had one left. And I opened it too...hmm I guess I can make about 50 cents "profit" by trading it in :)

damn MM trade is over?!. i knew i should of went Sat or Sunday when i had the chance. may just trade them in anyway. i got like 2 copies left.

[quote name='unforeseen']Just quoted $9 for MM.
Game over earlier than usual.[/quote]
It was a lot easier to flip for those whose best buy's wouldnt accept printouts for Beowulf. Plus it was available for purchase at the same price (if not 50% cheaper) at at least 5 retailers.

[quote name='wolfpackgamer']lol its for people who are ambidextrous or have four hands. Happy new year and thank god my resolution is to stop flipping crap at these damn blockbusters. It is not worth the hassle and guilt for me.[/quote]

It's great for systems...

What's all this talk about guilt?
Does Blockbuster feel guilty for charging $8 to rent a game? or $5 to rent a kids movie that cost $10 to buy? Did they feel guilty for increasing my online rental agreement by $2 a month?
I think not.

So i don't feel guilty for flipping games that initially cost $220 cash for a Wii(whicih was sold to cover initial cash outlay), 4 nintendo DS lites, 2 Guitar Hero Wii's, Halo 3 guide book, WWE 2008 xbox 360 version, Clerks 2, 4 Harmony remotes(bought at sears with money from guitars) and still sitting on $200+ in credit.

[quote name='epitom3']oh man you serious? I just traded in 2 copies of MUA & Forza + a Two Worlds + GRAW + 2 Darknesses + a Beowulf about 2 days ago at that store. The guy working there that did my trade was from UCI. He did the trades easily even though many of games were missing covers. I didnt even have a trading account at that store, he just put the money on the rush card.[/quote]

Wow that is a different experience, maybe your trade triggered the lock down at this store. I thought it was strange when only the manager could do trades. His name was steve. This was only the third trade I had done at this store over a three week period.

[quote name='stoned99']Wow that is a different experience, maybe your trade triggered the lock down at this store. I thought it was strange when only the manager could do trades. His name was steve. This was only the third trade I had done at this store over a three week period.[/quote]

You guys are talking about the one on Euclid and Katella, right? This guy Steve, was he kinda tall with a slightly high pitched voice? I don't think he's really a threat to any CAGers. I actually traded in 2 Beowulfs without a problem and, coincidentily, another CAGer traded in 2 more Beowulfs almost right after me and he didn't really say anything about it. Like I said, anything could have happened between now and then, but he didn't seem all that threatening last time.

[quote name='stone1061']What's all this talk about guilt?
Does Blockbuster feel guilty for charging $8 to rent a game? or $5 to rent a kids movie that cost $10 to buy? Did they feel guilty for increasing my online rental agreement by $2 a month?
I think not.

So i don't feel guilty for flipping games that initially cost $220 cash for a Wii(whicih was sold to cover initial cash outlay), 4 nintendo DS lites, 2 Guitar Hero Wii's, Halo 3 guide book, WWE 2008 xbox 360 version, Clerks 2, 4 Harmony remotes(bought at sears with money from guitars) and still sitting on $200+ in credit.[/quote]

Nevermind all that; you're trading games to Blockbuster under their own terms. It is completely legitimate. Stock traders do it everyday, as does every other businessman in the world. You buy low and sell high. It would be unfair for Blockbuster to make a policy that you MUST take a loss when trading games to them.

[quote name='edavis0780']You guys are talking about the one on Euclid and Katella, right? This guy Steve, was he kinda tall with a slightly high pitched voice? I don't think he's really a threat to any CAGers. I actually traded in 2 Beowulfs without a problem and, coincidentily, another CAGer traded in 2 more Beowulfs almost right after me and he didn't really say anything about it. Like I said, anything could have happened between now and then, but he didn't seem all that threatening last time.[/quote]

No, Harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa. The Euclid / Katella store is cool.

i just called my local BB and Two Worlds and Darkness are both still at $32. Tony Hawk's PG is $35, nice if Target has indeed dropped it to clearance in some stores.

Now, I'm new at this, so if prices change later in the day on Tuesdays, disregard the preceeding prices ;)

[quote name='kevlar51']i just called my local BB and Two Worlds and Darkness are both still at $32. Tony Hawk's PG is $35, nice if Target has indeed dropped it to clearance in some stores.

Now, I'm new at this, so if prices change later in the day on Tuesdays, disregard the preceeding prices ;)[/quote]

I think someone else reported MM has already dropped to $8 so I would imagine the new values take effect as soon as the store opens on Tuesday.

I need to check my Target for a price drop on Tony Hawk. They had a whole endcap of them the last time I was there. If they've dropped to $12 or lower that would be great flip fodder for BB.

what cheap games are still trading in @ $32? Beowulf, Two Worlds, Forza2? Are there any good flips still out there? Beowulf is only $20 at BB for the PS3 this week.

[quote name='sp00ge']Anyone stuck with a copy of MM, CML.[/quote]

Sorry sp00ge don't PLAY games in this thread. :roll:

LOL

I like how everyone feels guilty today and made a resolution to stop flipping. I can't wait till the next game comes along and your like ZOMG!% Gotta get me some of those to trade in! ;) Sucks to hear more people are having troubles now with managers, i've got one store i'm really careful with as well. I was trading a pile one day and the manager working started talking about games and commenting on values I was like wtf this guy actually has a clue. Asked a few questions and turns out he used to manage GS before coming to BB. Keeping my nose clean as i'd hate to kill the goose who lays golden half price and less eggs.

Does anyone know what MLB 07' The Show trades in for on the PS3? Since it's a sports game I should probably ditch it while the value is still decent before 08' hits the market in a couple months.

The Beowolf deal is definitely over (and has been for a couple weeks). Not sure yet about Forza 2, though. Also, I'd like to hear if anyone found out about Hour of Victory or Madden '06. . .
Glad to hear about The Darkness staying at $32/$33!

As far as guilt goes, I'd say as long as they're willing to give you the credit keep doing what you're doing guilt free. If they had a sign up that said you weren't allowed to do more than two trades with a single game title across all regional Blockbuster stores, I'd feel guilty for flipping. But there's no such sign.

Some Blockbuster corporate guy who is in charge of these prices is probably leaving a small window open for some of these flipping deals. . . I wonder why.

Edit: The first paragraph was written in response to runpuddrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back