The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

need to go to BB and make some more trades. trying to get closer to ps3. got a couple MUAFor2 packs & rid these 2 last MMs. waiting for my 2 TWs to come from Gamefly too.

[quote name='djkunai']Try calling a store that's further away but still in the same area. For example, if I needed a trade price early in the morning so I can hit up a B&M store when they open, I'd just call a store on the east coast at 8am since they'll be open (I'm on the west coast and all my stores would be closed).[/quote]

Thanks Kunai...

For some reason most of the stores in Grand Rapids and Saginaw area won't give out values over the phone, even though they did when the first opened up the GRs.

[quote name='mvp828']Hey Jackass... Stores by me don't give out trade values over the phone, and I am not driving 25 miles in a truck that gets 10 mpg.[/QUOTE]

No need to resort to name-calling.
Are you only trading games into GameRush? You can trade them into regular Blockbuster stores to cut down on the commute.

BTW, Prince of Persia Rival Swords fetches $8. But I got the quote last week.

[quote name='unforeseen']No need to resort to name-calling.
Are you only trading games into GameRush? You can trade them into regular Blockbuster stores to cut down on the commute.

BTW, Prince of Persia Rival Swords fetches $8. But I got the quote last week.[/quote]
My bad man... I was just hoping to get a quick quote if someone knew.

The closest BB is about 20 miles ( I live in the country, somewhat).

At school there is only one BB in the area, and it is a Franchise that doesn't buy games. The next closest is 25 minutes away in Saginaw.

PoP gets $8 huh, hmm. Thanks

[quote name='novito sanchez']no trades for punia ever again. For all those who doubt my powers tees ie no longer
welcome.[/quote]

Between this post and his earlier one, I really have to wonder how this person works at BB.

novito sanchez: Do you have your BB card?
customer: No.
novito sanchez: What's your name?
customer: dave johnson
novito sanchez: *typing* GET gonsen, dayze
novito sanchez: Hmmm... seems I don't have you in our system, how do you spell your name?
customer: Ummmm... J..O..H..N..S..O..N...
novito sanchez: *typing* GET jayohachenessohennn
novito sanchez: Nope, I still don't see you. Here... how bout you just type it for me.
customer: :wall:

Somewhat interesting experience at BB a couple of days ago:

I traded in a copy of Two Worlds for $32. Of course, I ask for the credit to be placed on a gift (not value) card. Cashier tells me that the credit cannot be placed on a gift card, and then proceeds to pull out a stack of what looked like used or discarded value cards and pulls out the top one. He tries to scan the card, but something seems a little off (you notice the small things after flipping full time). The receipt he hands me states that the $32 was placed on my account. The cashier then uses GBAL (value checking) and tells me that somehow my value card (which the cashier handed me) has $40 for some odd reason. Well, I thought that maybe the used card had $8 on it and my $32 was added.

Today, however, I asked if there was any credits/balances on my account and apparently, the $32 from the trade is still there. In essence, the cashier handed me an extra $40 value card for no reason. Now if I could just (without breaking any laws) get my hands on the stack of used cards......;)

Can anyone explain why a used/discarded value card would still have credit on it? You'd think they would zero things out before handing them out again. I might go trade in some more stuff just to see if I could get some used value cards. :D

[quote name='edavis0780']Somewhat interesting experience at BB a couple of days ago:

I traded in a copy of Two Worlds for $32. Of course, I ask for the credit to be placed on a gift (not value) card. Cashier tells me that the credit cannot be placed on a gift card, and then proceeds to pull out a stack of what looked like used or discarded value cards and pulls out the top one. He tries to scan the card, but something seems a little off (you notice the small things after flipping full time). The receipt he hands me states that the $32 was placed on my account. The cashier then uses GBAL (value checking) and tells me that somehow my value card (which the cashier handed me) has $40 for some odd reason. Well, I thought that maybe the used card had $8 on it and my $32 was added.

Today, however, I asked if there was any credits/balances on my account and apparently, the $32 from the trade is still there. In essence, the cashier handed me an extra $40 value card for no reason. Now if I could just (without breaking any laws) get my hands on the stack of used cards......;)

Can anyone explain why a used/discarded value card would still have credit on it? You'd think they would zero things out before handing them out again. I might go trade in some more stuff just to see if I could get some used value cards. :D[/QUOTE]

That is strange.
BTW, a new law is in effect in California where gift cards $10 or less can be redeemed for cash (at the choice of the customer).

[quote name='unforeseen']That is strange.
BTW, a new law is in effect in California where gift cards $10 or less can be redeemed for cash (at the choice of the customer).[/quote]
:hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot:

:lol:

I was just going to say don't let djkunai find out about that law. He doesn't need more tools of destruction ;).

[quote name='io']:lol:

I was just going to say don't let djkunai find out about that law. He doesn't need more tools of destruction ;).[/quote]

kunai.jpg

I am a tool of destruction.

[quote name='Bezerker']I can just see Kunai walking in with 500 $10 cards asking to 'cash them out'.[/quote]

Except I would hit up each individual store on my way down to Huntington Beach. Sounds like a plan!

[quote name='unforeseen']That is strange.
BTW, a new law is in effect in California where gift cards $10 or less can be redeemed for cash (at the choice of the customer).[/quote]

Source/link??? Not that I doubt you in particular, but as a rule of thumb I don't trust the interwebs unless I've something a little more solid than one person on a gaming forum. I would like this, not only to use it, but if it's true I need to inform my boss so we can figure out how to update the store's computer system for this.

[quote name='edavis0780']Somewhat interesting experience at BB a couple of days ago:

Can anyone explain why a used/discarded value card would still have credit on it? You'd think they would zero things out before handing them out again. I might go trade in some more stuff just to see if I could get some used value cards. :D[/QUOTE]

This rarely happens but sometimes when people aren't paying attention they will leave a Value Card at the store and they can be reused. But you lucked out and got an employee that did the rare double dip. Basically, the employee probably didn't know how to add the credit to the card so it first went to your account then he or she did the transaction again by adding to your Value Card so it happens just once in a while.

At the CSUN GR, they no longer accept:
:360: Hour of Victory
:360: Darkness
:360: Eragon
:360: Madden 06
:360: Two Worlds
:360: Forza 2
:360: MUA

They have about 20+ of each. I flipped another 4 copies of MUAF2 at two other stores, and found a 60GB PS3 while at it! Major props to edavis0780 for trying to help me out. All the 80GB PS3s (not bundles) and DS Lites are sold out at every store around me. I still need to nab some Pink DS lites for some people, too. Gah. By the way, the store that had the PS3 is well aware of the

Wow, most stores around me do NOT have that much flipping going on....bonus for me, although I haven't flipped much lately. Best was back in the Drake and Re dNinja days. Still looking for some decent deals though

The GR near me almost always has basically the same stock of used games so I don't think very many people trade/flip which could be good for any future flippables that come along.

Remind me of something cause I'm rusty ... can you trade in to any Blockbuster?

My current area doesn't have Game Rush stores (Columbus) ... my old hometown where the family is has a ton of 'em (Cincy), and I don't recall the store I at least stopped into (Fort Wright) having any.

BTW ... seems a BUNCH of Northern KY stores have 60 gig PS3's and they will be $450 new tomorrow. Going to get one.

Here are a few trade values to start with:

The Orange Box Xbox 360 $30
Stranglehold: Collector's Edition PS3 $30
Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 $30
Dead Rising Xbox 360 $15
Marvel Ultimate Alliance Xbox 360 $15

So for the most part I didn't lose much money on any of these but I wish that my Gamerush had Ratchet & Clank: Future or UT3 for PS3 either new or used. I'm mad because when I got Stranglehold they had one copy of R&C: F but I based on it because I didn't have enough credit to get both.

80 GB Playstation 3 Bundle for $599.99 at my local BB and GR are doing this special deal where you get:

80 GB Playstation 3 System
Motostorm
Surf's Up Blu-Ray
6 ft HDMI Cable
20 week Game Rental Pass

They had special boxes sitting around advertising this and a flyer but it is a pre-order for most local stores because they don't have them in-stock but my Gamerush does. Too bad I already own a 60 GB or I might have jumped on this.

I think I might be the only one in this area flipping games (espically since there isn't a gamerush so I have to grab Gift Cards and hope I can find something decent when I travel)

So I will be droping the Madden 06's and two extra copies of MM that I have. Crossing fingers that I won't get a hassle.

[quote name='sav2880']Remind me of something cause I'm rusty ... can you trade in to any Blockbuster?

My current area doesn't have Game Rush stores (Columbus) ... my old hometown where the family is has a ton of 'em (Cincy), and I don't recall the store I at least stopped into (Fort Wright) having any.

BTW ... seems a BUNCH of Northern KY stores have 60 gig PS3's and they will be $450 new tomorrow. Going to get one.[/quote]

As long as they are a "trade" store. I have 4 in the area and 3 of the 4 take trades one doesn't. I don't know why but the reason giving was "we aren't a trade store"

[quote name='sav2880']BTW ... seems a BUNCH of Northern KY stores have 60 gig PS3's and they will be $450 new tomorrow. Going to get one.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I just grabbed a 60GB last week at the Ft. Wright store...anyone know if Block Buster has a standard price protection policy for all their stores? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try bringing in the receipt and asking for the $50 back. Not a huge deal if they wouldn't, considering I paid for the whole thing in credit from flipping, but it'd be nice to have.

[quote name='sav2880']
BTW ... seems a BUNCH of Northern KY stores have 60 gig PS3's and they will be $450 new tomorrow. Going to get one.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if anyone else can verify this? I just bought another 60GB PS3 as well.

[quote name='sav2880']BTW ... seems a BUNCH of Northern KY stores have 60 gig PS3's and they will be $450 new tomorrow. Going to get one.[/quote]

Why will they be $450? Is it a sale specific to those stores in KY, or is it nationwide?

Hey Columbus guy stay out of Fort Wright GR! LOL joking i'm pretty much tapped on credit so have your way with the area. BTW the Newport store is the big boy in northern KY as far as systems go so call there if you can't find anything.

And yes most all BBs take trades but only GRs carry systems.

I hit up a Sears (Westminster), Circuit Cities (Los Alamitos and someplace northwest of there) and a K-Mart (Bellflower). Got some trade stuff:

:ps3: Def Jam Icon
:360: Star Trek Legacy
:360: Kameo
:360: Perfect Dark Zero
:360: Perfect Dark Zero
:360: Meet The Robinsons
:360: Meet The Robinsons

If any of you feel like charting my CAG life, check the tabs in my signature. It's sick.

I'm actually not too impressed with those flips, djkunai. They don't seem worth the trouble and effort (and potential for banning of course). And they certainly aren't up to your usual 3x type profit standards :lol:.

I mean, according to your link you paid $11 for some of those Star Trek games. It gets $12 at GR, right? Even if you finagle the $5 bonus I don't consider that worth it. But you have fun, man ;).

What I'd like to see is your complete trade-in purchase/credit obtained/profit made history. I have something like that for all my GR/BB trading (though the profit is minimal and incidental since it was just a matter of selling things occasionally to fuel the trade-ins used to get games I kept for the most part).

Maybe some day I'll serve up my totals since I started trading at GR in 2005. While it may be impressive to some, I'm sure you have surpassed it just in Nov/Dec 2007 alone :lol:. I will put out two little tidbits: the average cost of my credit currently stands at 39%. That is, if I were to buy a $50 game it would have only cost me $19.50 in original trade-in fodder. I've been doing much better since my GR closed, though, since I've only bothered with 3 and 4x type trades in the last year. Many of my first trade-ins were at even money or even slight losses when I could get the $30 preorder deal (which isn't factored into the calculation - I just considered those games as costing me $30, not $50). The second tidbit is that I've been able to transfer about $1500 in credit to EB/GS or GC over the last 2 years. Much of that was when GR had their clearance sale and EB had a corresponding trade-in bonus promo. I also scoured all the local Blockbusters back when they used to sell regular new games (greatest hits type stuff and not just the new releases they may have now). Though about $300 of it was just from Halo 3->EB/GS last month. I wish now that I had done that a bit more as I'd like to be free of my Blockbuster credit entirely now.

One more factoid from my GR spreadsheet - I still am in posession of 191 gaming items that I bought at GR - games, systems (eg, my DS Lite as I never was able to get a Wii or PS3 there), controllers, etc. I kept a running total (and remove them if I sell them or give them away) so I could keep track of what my cost per item was (the 39% cost minus sales I've made from GR stuff). All I'll say is it was pretty damn cheap ;).

[quote name='io']I'm actually not too impressed with those flips, djkunai. They don't seem worth the trouble and effort (and potential for banning of course). And they certainly aren't up to your usual 3x type profit standards :lol:.
[/quote]

Desperate times. I'm doubling on most, and I can return whatever isn't worth it. I stopped by the stores and didn't want to leave empty handed. I'm still hoping to find a few more MUA/F2 bundles before Tuesday. Hopefully I'll nab several more Sylpheeds tomorrow. Maybe a few MTR as well.

[quote name='$hady']And yes most all BBs take trades but only GRs carry systems.[/quote]
All non franchise Blockbusters sell DS Lites & PS3's.

I may get one of those PS3 bundles if they are really $450. Though as the 5 games for $25 coupon came from KY, maybe they're just a really lucky state when it comes to sales.

[quote name='djkunai']Desperate times. I'm doubling on most, and I can return whatever isn't worth it. I stopped by the stores and didn't want to leave empty handed. I'm still hoping to find a few more MUA/F2 bundles before Tuesday. Hopefully I'll nab several more Sylpheeds tomorrow. Maybe a few MTR as well.[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily say desperate times. After flipping Beowulfs and Monster Madness to BB/GR, flipping Halo 3s to GS/EB, and reflipping some more Darkness, HoV, and Madden 06 (already flipped a bunch a few months back), I'd have to rank this up there with the T3G1 for $5 deal of yore. It's been a while since I could actually double my GR credit without having to reinvest more real money into the system (not factoring gas and time of course). I know that GR credit is not quite as powerful as GS credit, but I am fortunate enough to have a competent GR nearby and more than a few BB stores have been stocking more new games and accessories as of late.

Oh, and just asking, has anyone seen the PSP Slims at their BB/GRs (Core or Daxter)? My GR still have the 1000 Cores (for $160 of course).

Just got back from 1 BB & 1 GR, no go on the $450 PS3 bundle. Two worlds still gets $32, and still sells for normal price, so the value should still hold come tuesday for those who have yet to get their Gamefly orders.

[quote name='Bezerker']All non franchise Blockbusters sell DS Lites & PS3's.
[/quote]

If only that were true...no DS lites or PS3's here. A couple had the $600 PS3 bundle prior to Christmas but are sold out.

[quote name='$hady']Hey Columbus guy stay out of Fort Wright GR! LOL joking i'm pretty much tapped on credit so have your way with the area. BTW the Newport store is the big boy in northern KY as far as systems go so call there if you can't find anything.

And yes most all BBs take trades but only GRs carry systems.[/QUOTE]

Hehe! Just having some fun in my OLD hometown! :)

Can now officially verify 60 gig PS3's at $449 if your store is lucky enough to still have some in the back.

Actually didn't get my PS3 this morning from Fort Wright, got it from the Union store (I know the manager there, he survived Cov. Latin with me in the 90's), I know both still have systems and the guy in Fort Wright (who I also know) wants to get rid of 'em bad. Although you might agree, the stores don't seem to make a big deal of what they have system wise. They could have Wii's for all I knew, but you'd never know it.

Definitely going to trade in stuff in Columbus, and use it those times that I make it back to the old home.

[quote name='Bezerker']All non franchise Blockbusters sell DS Lites & PS3's.

I may get one of those PS3 bundles if they are really $450. Though as the 5 games for $25 coupon came from KY, maybe they're just a really lucky state when it comes to sales.[/quote]

Wrong, some only carry the PS3 bundles. Mine never got and doesn't plan on getting any DS Lites.

I can tell you for sure that Newport, KY location has a 60gb PS3 for $449.

Its only the standalone on sale, not the special BB bundle they made. Those bundles are just a ps3 box with other crap added alongside.

What does this Forza2/MUA bundle look like? I stopped at a couple gamestops on my way home today and all I saw were individuals, priced at $29.99 and $19.99 respectively.

[quote name='edavis0780']I wouldn't necessarily say desperate times. [/quote]

Yeah, it's not desperate actually. I'm just going to get 10 giftcards for $9.99 and keep a dime in my pocket. That way I literally double my money instead of dealing with credit.

[quote name='creeeaature']What does this Forza2/MUA bundle look like? I stopped at a couple gamestops on my way home today and all I saw were individuals, priced at $29.99 and $19.99 respectively.[/quote]

It looks similar to teh Sega GT/Jet Set Radio bundle from the old Xbox. Normal size case, Marvel art on the front, Forza on the back and the spine is split, with both Marvel and Forza on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back