The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='doppelgangerknight']Here are some trade in values from 2 hours ago

Forza 2: 22
Fuzion Frenzy 2: 8
Two Worlds: 32[/quote]

forza drop?blah

[quote name='doppelgangerknight']Here are some trade in values from 2 hours ago

Forza 2: 22
Fuzion Frenzy 2: 8
Two Worlds: 32[/QUOTE]

Maybe a typo?? That was Monday.... price drops are today (if at all).

Bah, I still have a copy of Forza 2 and MUA. Where's the best place to unload these then? My local BB play hard ball, another store a few miles further may be easier, but if GS offers similar value, I'll just take it to GS.

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Bah, I still have a copy of Forza 2 and MUA. Where's the best place to unload these then? My local BB play hard ball, another store a few miles further may be easier, but if GS offers similar value, I'll just take it to GS.[/quote]

Well, GS sells the 2-pack for $20 used. So I doubt you'd get much value. At BB/GR, Forza 2 fetches $22 now and I think MUA is still $15 (anyone confirm this?). You can print out cover art and insert each in new cases if that's the issue, or call around to a couple and ask if you need the cover art. It's YMMV on that one.

[quote name='kevlar51']Well, GS sells the 2-pack for $20 used. So I doubt you'd get much value. At BB/GR, Forza 2 fetches $22 now and I think MUA is still $15 (anyone confirm this?). You can print out cover art and insert each in new cases if that's the issue, or call around to a couple and ask if you need the cover art. It's YMMV on that one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I called earlier. MUA is still $15 and Forza 2 dropped to $22. Still a decent, almost-double, flip if you buy the 2-pack used at GS w/ Edge.

Glad I got rid of mine yesterday before the drop. Still got the full 32 and 15 for em.

Too bad the BB and CC sales were crap. Figured there would be some good flips off those but nothing worth while.

edit: lol ^^ why would you even have high school musical. Even if that flipped good I don't think i'd buy that.

[quote name='noahj']Any idea what College Hoops 2K8 (PS3) or High School Musical (PS2) would fetch?[/QUOTE]

Any idea how to pick up a phone and/or dial a number? :D

I called GR today and got the following quote:

:360: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground $25

It's probably not worth trying to flip them from the Target clearance.

going this weekend to trade marvel for $15 and forza for $22 so $37 bucks, where can i find what i can buy. a website or wiki with prices?? btw my local blockbuster is not a game rush, does this affect anything, or should i just call and ask for trade in prices.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']going this weekend to trade marvel for $15 and forza for $22 so $37 bucks, where can i find what i can buy. a website or wiki with prices?? btw my local blockbuster is not a game rush, does this affect anything, or should i just call and ask for trade in prices.[/QUOTE]

The CAG wiki has trade-in prices only. You won't know what you can buy at your Blockbuster till you go in (though I was trying to maintain a list of things regular BB's might sell in the OP - not getting much input on that though ;)). Some sell a handful of new-release games like Super Mario Galaxy and Halo 3. Some don't sell any new games at all and will only have a small selection of overpriced new DVDs to buy. It seems a few also sell DS Lites though I've never seen one like that. Also, after looking at about 8 regular stores, I finally found one that sells Wii remotes and Wii points cards. It is very YMMV...

[quote name='animemaniac14']where is the CAG blockbuster trade-in values wiki? link please :whistle2:D

and and two worlds STILL gets $32 trade-in...just checked it today :)[/quote]Top of the OP! :D

[quote name='blair2100']
GC
One Peice -2.50

[/QUOTE]

Which one, there's 3 of them you know (Grand Battle, Grand Adventure, Pirate's Carnival).

I updated the wiki with the rest of the prices. And yes, besides the GIANT link at the top of the OP, there is a "CAGWIKI" button at the top of the forum page, though admittedly that can be easily missed (which is why there's a GIANT link in the OP ;)).

[quote name='io']Which one, there's 3 of them you know (Grand Battle, Grand Adventure, Pirate's Carnival).

I updated the wiki with the rest of the prices. And yes, besides the GIANT link at the top of the OP, there is a "CAGWIKI" button at the top of the forum page, though admittedly that can be easily missed (which is why there's a GIANT link in the OP ;)).[/quote]

Pirate's Carnival

[quote name='animemaniac14']where is the CAG blockbuster trade-in values wiki? link please :whistle2:D

and and two worlds STILL gets $32 trade-in...just checked it today :)[/quote]

Just traded in The Darkness XBOX 360 at my local Blockbuster and it is holding at $32.00 as well.

traded in my last copy of Monster Madness tonight @ a GameRush in Staten Island. still comes in @ 28.50 w/ tax $30. also picked up a 60gb ps3(1 of 2 left) there. used my giftcards and still had some money left over and got Unreal T III

[quote name='io']The CAG wiki has trade-in prices only. You won't know what you can buy at your Blockbuster till you go in (though I was trying to maintain a list of things regular BB's might sell in the OP - not getting much input on that though ;)). Some sell a handful of new-release games like Super Mario Galaxy and Halo 3. Some don't sell any new games at all and will only have a small selection of overpriced new DVDs to buy. It seems a few also sell DS Lites though I've never seen one like that. Also, after looking at about 8 regular stores, I finally found one that sells Wii remotes and Wii points cards. It is very YMMV...[/quote]

I went and got another DS at a BB last night to polish off my credit. I did see that this BB had COD4 (360) and GH III (360) with and without guitar, though the guitar bundle was OOS. They also sold Wii point cards and controllers, PS3 controllers, 360 controllers (white), 360 wireless headsets (white), 3 month Live cards, and 1600 360 point cards. Although they didn't have a ton of new games there, I remember being pretty impressed with the ones they did have, given it's a blockbuster.

[quote name='kevlar51']I went and got another DS at a BB last night to polish off my credit. I did see that this BB had COD4 (360) and GH III (360) with and without guitar, though the guitar bundle was OOS. They also sold Wii point cards and controllers, PS3 controllers, 360 controllers (white), 360 wireless headsets (white), 3 month Live cards, and 1600 360 point cards. Although they didn't have a ton of new games there, I remember being pretty impressed with the ones they did have, given it's a blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot I also saw Guitar Hero III for the Wii and PS2, and Mass Effect. And, for some reason, Spiderman Friend or Foe for the PS2. I guess they thought that was going to be a huge hit :roll:.

I should have held off for Mass Effect there instead of burning up $54 in GS credit (used the 10% off coupon at least). I also saw Lego Star Wars CS at one of them and I think I'll pick it up if I'm ever in that area again. It is also a store I can still trade at ;). (I still haven't bothered calling back at the closer one - guess I'll do that tomorrow). The problem is, I can't think of many games they will be guaranteed to carry and since they always get them later than everyone else it means waiting to see if they even get it. I guess the next big one I'd want is SSBB. But am I willing to wait an extra few days to see if they even get it or not? I dunno... I guess I could pick up my EB preorder and then if BB gets it in the next few days I can return that copy to EB and get my more precious EB credit back. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Of course, I was hoping to cultivate a relationship with the closest store that carries new games and get them there whenever possible - hoping maybe I'd be able to call and see what they have in and all that, maybe even have them hold things for me. But this is the store where I first found out I was banned, so I'm soured on the whole thing. They could have gotten a lot of new games sales out of me like the old GR store did. They thought I was a great customer (and I was in that I brought credit from other stores and spent it all there ;)).

Did we confirm if this was a nationwide price drop? I had a guy check one in Cincy area over the phone and he said $499. I also know blockbuster price drops don't come up until you hit the transaction button or something, correct?

Also any idea what the 60gb bundle contains for $499?

Anyone know if there's an easy way to check gift/value card balance online? I know there's an 800 number you can call (1-800-406-6843), but if there's a way to do it online, I'm interested.

[quote name='ccockerill']See what sucks is that I'm on the hunt for the 40gb ps3 and all of my stores have the 60gb. It's just not fair.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm why would you not want to just spend an extra $50 and get a 60GB. The 60 has full backwards compatibility of ps1/ps2 via hardware. The 40GB doesn't have any ps2 playback whatsoever, has 2 less usb ports, no SACD playback, and no memory card ports (You have to have memory card ports to use PC mods for Unreal Tournament). IMO all that extra stuff is more than worth it.

The only possible advantage is a smaller nm cell chip (graphics chip is still the same AFAIK) is that its slightly cooler and slightly more quiet, hardly a difference since the 60GB is already very cool and quiet.

[quote name='clevelandmvp']Did we confirm if this was a nationwide price drop? I had a guy check one in Cincy area over the phone and he said $499. I also know blockbuster price drops don't come up until you hit the transaction button or something, correct?

Also any idea what the 60gb bundle contains for $499?[/QUOTE]

He probably didn't really even check.... enough people have reported buying or getting the difference back, that I'm pretty sure its legit. That dude probably just looked at the price tag or something.

The 60 GB isn't really a bundle, just the regular 'ol 60 GB model. It's the PS3, one SIXAXIS controller, USB charge cable, power cord, and A/V cord.

[quote name='x_fiddle']Hmmm why would you not want to just spend an extra $50 and get a 60GB. The 60 has full backwards compatibility of ps1/ps2 via hardware. The 40GB doesn't have any ps2 playback whatsoever, has 2 less usb ports, no SACD playback, and no memory card ports (You have to have memory card ports to use PC mods for Unreal Tournament). IMO all that extra stuff is more than worth it.

The only possible advantage is a smaller nm cell chip (graphics chip is still the same AFAIK) is that its slightly cooler and slightly more quiet, hardly a difference since the 60GB is already very cool and quiet.[/QUOTE]

I second that notion. However, I never owned a PS2, so hardware BC was really important to me.

[quote name='clevelandmvp']Did we confirm if this was a nationwide price drop? I had a guy check one in Cincy area over the phone and he said $499. I also know blockbuster price drops don't come up until you hit the transaction button or something, correct?

Also any idea what the 60gb bundle contains for $499?[/QUOTE]Which store did you call and did they actually check the stock? I've called virtually every store in the Ohio tri-state area and they were OOS once they looked for the consoles.

The price tag on the box says $499 but once they ring it up it should be $449. Its just the now rare and discontinued 60GB PS3 system alone, not aware of a bundle unless its the 80gb or 40gb.

Anyone know if there are any 60GB PS3 left in the Orange County California area GameRush stores? I tried calling a few but they really don't know whats going on and the GRs around here don't keep any product boxes on the sales floor so you don't know what they have.

[quote name='x_fiddle']Hmmm why would you not want to just spend an extra $50 and get a 60GB. The 60 has full backwards compatibility of ps1/ps2 via hardware. The 40GB doesn't have any ps2 playback whatsoever, has 2 less usb ports, no SACD playback, and no memory card ports (You have to have memory card ports to use PC mods for Unreal Tournament). IMO all that extra stuff is more than worth it.

The only possible advantage is a smaller nm cell chip (graphics chip is still the same AFAIK) is that its slightly cooler and slightly more quiet, hardly a difference since the 60GB is already very cool and quiet.[/QUOTE]

Well I have absolutely no intentions of ever playing a ps2 titles on it, I really have no intentions of putting mods in any game and I don't have any SACDs.

The only thing that bothers me is the 2 less usb ports, but I can live with that for $50 less and Spiderman 3.

[quote name='Killdozer']Anyone know if there are any 60GB PS3 left in the Orange County California area GameRush stores? I tried calling a few but they really don't know whats going on and the GRs around here don't keep any product boxes on the sales floor so you don't know what they have.[/quote]

I sent you a pm, some hoaders on here would most likely try to get their first !!

[quote name='ccockerill']...but I can live with that for $50 less and Spiderman 3.[/quote]

Damn, I would pay $50 more for the 60GB just because it DOESN'T have Spiderman 3:D

Also any idea what the 60gb bundle contains for $499?[/quote]

I'm not sure whether or not the price drop doesn't apply til the transaction button is hit but a manager of two Blockbusters’s told me received notice of the price drop from corporate. So I believe it is a nationwide drop.

[quote name='stoned99']I sent you a pm, some hoaders on here would most likely try to get their first !![/QUOTE]

Who the hell would hoard 60GB PS3 nowadays?

[quote name='unforeseen']Who the hell would hoard 60GB PS3 nowadays?[/quote]

I never said they hoard PS3's, just that they were hoaders in general.

[quote name='stoned99']I never said they hoard PS3's, just that they were hoaders in general.[/quote]

It's okay, I already got mine.

[quote name='flames_of_chaos']Io,

I'm just curious did they even give you a reason why they banned or black list you?[/QUOTE]

No, not really. The only thing I got out of the second store was that it was because I traded Beowulf into "3 or 4" different stores. What I did was trade 1 360 copy into my local store, and then 1 360/1 PS3 copy into 3 more stores. I never traded a duplicate into any of them either - no more than 1 per store (on each system).

Last I heard trading a game into 3 different stores was not against the trade agreement but whatever... I still need to call and see if I've been reinstated. For all I know I have been since the end of Dec when that store manager said she'd call the DM. I told her the DM was welcome to call me and I had receipts for the games I could fax them if they thought I was stealing them somewhere and trading them in. I never got a call - so either they just overturned it no problem or the DM didn't want to discuss it and let the thing stand. Could have gone either way ;).

Anyone know any BB in the Los Angeles are that has Guitar Hero III w/guitar for sale for XBOX 360? I have been looking in stores and calling around the Valley area, about 10 BB or so and have had no luck finding any. Just the PS3 version they have.

[quote name='djkunai']It's okay, I already got mine.[/QUOTE]

djkunai chiming in like clockwork.

BTW, what happened to Pookymeister (spelling?). He was a big part of the GR/BB thread but fell off all of a sudden.

I've called several in my area and they all reply that its not in the system. That corporate has not included it. Local store managers aren't able to stock items specific to their store's demands??

I received a gift card for BB and would like to buy Resident Evil 4: Wii edition and have had zero luck finding a store with the game.

All replies are appreciated as this is my first time posting

[quote name='oldskoolgamer108']I've called several in my area and they all reply that its not in the system. That corporate has not included it. Local store managers aren't able to stock items specific to their store's demands??
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not (they are not able to select anything for their own store). It is all dictated by corporate according to some demographics data they think they have :roll:. My GR didn't even get in some games I preordered months in advance. Even in that case they couldn't get one sent there (while other GR stores out of state did, so Blockbuster carried it in general, just not at my store). There was also no way they could order something for me after the fact. It was always a big surprise to them what they'd get in each week. To top it all off, even when they had stuff on order (thus entered into the system by corporate) they didn't always get it.

I think I've heard that gift cards (not value cards) can be used to buy things online, but they don't have videogames available online.

[quote name='ave1']I think I've heard that gift cards (not value cards) can be used to buy things online, but they don't have videogames available online.[/quote]

That, and you can reload giftcards with cash. Value cards cannot be reloaded with cash, only credit.

I thought GameRush was a realistic attempt at getting in the gaming retail business but I see its a half-*^* effort i(IMO). At the very least being able to order new releases and selling them at MSRP should be a must in the game business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back