The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

The Bigs - PS3 hed it's value at 33 or 32.

I'm curious if anyone has checked the trade in value of Stuntman Ignition for either PS3 or 360.

Answering my own question -- about 4 pages back it's reported at $16.

[quote name='TMNT770']anybody know the trade in value for the bigs for xbox 360?[/quote]
http://www.amazon.com/Jtp33Blk-Fashionable-Two-Piece-Slimline-Phone/dp/B000NWHW42/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201061553&sr=1-9

But damn, i didnt know HoV dropped. $16 after tax into $32 is pretty good. According to EB's store locator, theres at least 8 copies within 10 miles of me. Only thing is that right now I really dont need any more credit. All i've really been buying lately is chocolate (those Ghiardeli Espresso filled Dark Chololate bars are so damn good) Once i hear something about Amazon gift cards nationwide, i'll be all over it.

Amazon gcs at bb/gr? Really? Also what are the odds the lower price on the ps3 will be true? Im two flipping sessions away from the ps3 but....now im thinkin about waiting.

Not Blockbuster related, but I tried to pickup Darkness at Gamestop last night for $19.99 and it was ringing up $26.99. Guy couldn't find the weekly ad to confirm the price, even called someone and they couldn't find it either.

Last time I go into one of their stores without a printout.

[quote name='daminion']Not Blockbuster related, but I tried to pickup Darkness at Gamestop last night for $19.99 and it was ringing up $26.99. Guy couldn't find the weekly ad to confirm the price, even called someone and they couldn't find it either.

Last time I go into one of their stores without a printout.[/quote]

Did you go through the entire checkout process? Something similar happened to me where it scans in as $26.99 but when they hit "activate" (or something like that), the price adjusts to $19.99.

[quote name='runpuddrun']darkness is 20 this week til thursday, mua/forza is 20 also and I guess now 2 worlds is 19, all of these are reasonable flips now as darkness gets 32, 2 worlds gets 32 and mua/forza gets 37 with some hassle from some store peeps.[/quote]

^website doesnt show two worlds price drop is this in store this week or what?

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Has anybody tried to preorder the DMC4 Special Edition games for PS3 or 360? I was going to go today at lunch and got too busy.[/quote]

would also like to know if anyone has/CAN do this...would BBV/GR even carry the DMC4 Special Edition?

[quote name='animemaniac14']would also like to know if anyone has/CAN do this...would BBV/GR even carry the DMC4 Special Edition?[/quote]

I highly, highly doubt it. At least the ones near me would have a 1% chance to get the game in stock. One store had a Mass Effect stand up poster (stating "buy it now" or something) and still didn't even have copies of the game to sell. I would be happy if I could just get my hands on the normal edition, but good luck.

[quote name='daminion']Not Blockbuster related, but I tried to pickup Darkness at Gamestop last night for $19.99 and it was ringing up $26.99. Guy couldn't find the weekly ad to confirm the price, even called someone and they couldn't find it either.

Last time I go into one of their stores without a printout.[/quote]

I had the same problem. They had last week's ad on the counter. Ended up taking 6 of the 9 copies they had anyway. The last 3 were a bit scratched. Used the 10% off coupon + Edge so it wasn't too bad. Also got 7 Hour of Victory and 1 set of MUA/Forza 2. I made a special trip to this store since the inventory check had shown 4+ for The Darkness and HoV. Better than driving all over the place picking up one copy of each at the other stores...

I could not get two worlds either... I though someone posted a page or 2 back that it was 19.99 now or something like that, but I went in store and it was still 34.99. Got darkness, MUA/Forza 2 and HOV anyways.

[quote name='kevlar51']Did you go through the entire checkout process? Something similar happened to me where it scans in as $26.99 but when they hit "activate" (or something like that), the price adjusts to $19.99.[/quote]

Yea I don't really know. Guy scanned it and said it was $27 or whatever. I passed. I'll go back with a printout. Should have known to do that in the first place since their employees never know about their active deals.

[quote name='whymustiregister']I had the same problem. They had last week's ad on the counter. Ended up taking 6 of the 9 copies they had anyway. The last 3 were a bit scratched. Used the 10% off coupon + Edge so it wasn't too bad. Also got 7 Hour of Victory and 1 set of MUA/Forza 2. I made a special trip to this store since the inventory check had shown 4+ for The Darkness and HoV. Better than driving all over the place picking up one copy of each at the other stores...[/quote]

Thats what CAG is all about, tonight im drivin 20 mins to a store with 4+ of both the Darkness and HOV. Cant wait to watch my first hd movie on my big tv :drool:

Overheard as two employees in Brick, NJ gamestop were reading price drops.
"Alvin and Chipmunks droppped as fast as Beowulf", hopefully Wii $49.99 version is going to $19.99. I think it was only out on PS2 also.
Also mentioned Assassin's Creed dropped like a brick, but didn't get a new price.

Alvin may be a decent trade in.
Will check later on trade in value.

I'm really interested in the 'Assassin's Creed' price drop, since I just purchased it at Best Buy for $40. Any further info is appreciated.

So what was the deal with that Virtua Fighter 5? I called & asked how much was the trade in for it & they said $35 on the phone...What's this 24.99 thing you guys mentioned?

[quote name='Venent']I'm really interested in the 'Assassin's Creed' price drop, since I just purchased it at Best Buy for $40. Any further info is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

They (the overheard GS employees) were probably just referring to the recent drop to $44.99 new (and presumably $39.99 used). I think $40 is probably the best price you'll find on AC for some time (without coupons).

Got it today. Didn't ring up at first and the guy had no clue about the deal, but I was ready with my print out.

Unfortunately the 10% coupon didn't stack with the Used Game special -- so it's not quite as good of a flip as posted above.

[quote name='daminion']Got it today. Didn't ring up at first and the guy had no clue about the deal, but I was ready with my print out.

Unfortunately the 10% coupon didn't stack with the Used Game special -- so it's not quite as good of a flip as posted above.[/quote]

Got it to work the two times ive gotten the darkness, just keep pestering the guy about why it wont work.

Well, I'm pissed because it sounds like my local BB/GR stores will NOT be getting in No More Heroes at all (no, not even on Friday).

I know everyone's been talking about the Gamestop to BB flips, but does anyone know of any good flips from BB to GS? I'd like to purchase No More Heroes there if I can get a decent credit converter.

^^^Yeah, me too. I have talked to 5 GR's near me and none of them have gotten any Wii's in over 3 weeks and they all claim that none are on order any time soon. I have a little under $300 in credit now and would like to get a Wii ASAP and GS usually gets them in stock faster than GR.

[quote name='awp']Well, I'm pissed because it sounds like my local BB/GR stores will NOT be getting in No More Heroes at all (no, not even on Friday).

I know everyone's been talking about the Gamestop to BB flips, but does anyone know of any good flips from BB to GS? I'd like to purchase No More Heroes there if I can get a decent credit converter.[/quote]

For the best ratio, i would buy a nintendo ds, sell it on ebay then use that money.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']For the best ratio, i would buy a nintendo ds, sell it on ebay then use that money.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Decent idea, but I only have $50 in credit that I was specifically saving for NMH. Oh well, might have to take a loss to do it, but I don't have $50 in cash to spare to just buy it outright at GS.

[quote name='runpuddrun']^^^Yeah, me too. I have talked to 5 GR's near me and none of them have gotten any Wii's in over 3 weeks and they all claim that none are on order any time soon. I have a little under $300 in credit now and would like to get a Wii ASAP and GS usually gets them in stock faster than GR.[/quote]

I think the ordering got screwed up due to the release date getting pushed up a month from what was orginally announced.

I called yesterday and the store said that they weren't going to get any in until End of Febuary or Early March (the old Release date I believe)

[quote name='daminion']Got it today. Didn't ring up at first and the guy had no clue about the deal, but I was ready with my print out.

Unfortunately the 10% coupon didn't stack with the Used Game special -- so it's not quite as good of a flip as posted above.[/quote]

Same here. Plus, the manager was there and told me it wouldn't stack.

Doesn't bother me too much. I bought 2 Darkness for 360 at 19.99 each with a 10% edge on it. Also purchased Ice Age 2 for the Wii and Hour of Victory for 360 with the 10% coupon and stack.

Flipped those at BB. Darkness 32 each, Ice Age 22, and HoV 32.

$68 spent at GS became $129 at BB.

Bought Burnout Paradise for PS3.

*YAY*

Thanks CAGers!

Speedy's weekly ads shows that BBY seems to confirm the drop of Alvin for the Wii.

If anyone can check trade in values, I do have a phone, thank you. =D But I am running to class now. Hopefully more development shows up.

I can confirm that Tony Hawk: Proving Ground LE (360) is $25. My target had 4 of them at $14.75, i'll wait til they drop to $7.XX next week before I grab them.

[quote name='x_fiddle']Darkness is $20 ($18 after edge) and trades in for $32 = 1.8 ratio

Marvel/Forza is $20 ($16.20 after edge + coupon) and trades for $37 = 2.3 ratio

Hour of Victory is $18 ($14.50 after edge + coupon) and trades for $32 = 2.2 ratio

Of those 3 the Marvel/Forza pack yeilds the best return at $2.30 return for every $1 spent at GS. Of course the return is modified by tax, gas, and time spent so it's actually not quite that high.[/QUOTE]

add in printing out covers and finding cases for the trade-in of MUA and FORZA2. All the stores around me wouldnt take disc only (sux to be me). Spent exactly $4 at Kinkos printing out covers and used a dvd case from an old movie. Employee took the black case no problem. One of the printouts didnt scan so it was a manual look up. Turned $17+$4 into 37 GR credit. Worth the hassle? Meh, ok turnaround.

I've never even bothered to look, but do any regular Blockbuster stores SELL Blu-Ray movies? That is one way I could possibly make use of my credit if so... Not that I have anything to play them on ;).

Depends on the store. The stores that generally rent Blu rays usually sell them new as well. Just check the store locater on the Blockbuster website to see which ones carry it.

[quote name='Bezerker']I can confirm that Tony Hawk: Proving Ground LE (360) is $25. My target had 4 of them at $14.75, i'll wait til they drop to $7.XX next week before I grab them.[/QUOTE]

I was at two Targets in Jax yesterday and both had this for 75% off. Did you scan it?

[quote name='biznutch']I was at two Targets in Jax yesterday and both had this for 75% off. Did you scan it?[/quote]

Yea, the scanner showed $14.75; it didnt even have a red tag on it.

[quote name='io']I've never even bothered to look, but do any regular Blockbuster stores SELL Blu-Ray movies? That is one way I could possibly make use of my credit if so... Not that I have anything to play them on ;).[/quote]

Not sure what others stores are like, but all the stores here (GR or BB) only sell Fantastic 4: Silver Surver & Live Free or Die Hard as new. They do advertise certain titles they have for pre-order, and if it exists, they let you pre-order the Blu-Ray version.

One of the first things I asked after I heard BB would start selling gift cards, cell phones, mp3 players, tv's and computers is if they actually planned to start selling all new movies (rather than the crap selection they usually get). Of course, that was met with an "we havent heard anything about it".

So I went today to preorder DMC4 Collector's Edition (if it was in the system) for PS3 and it rang up on the system for a full price of 59.99. I don't know if they will change the price (I'm hoping I can talk them out of it since I paid it off) but apparently both collector's editions for 360 and PS3 are ringing up 59.99.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']So I went today to preorder DMC4 Collector's Edition (if it was in the system) for PS3 and it rang up on the system for a full price of 59.99. I don't know if they will change the price (I'm hoping I can talk them out of it since I paid it off) but apparently both collector's editions for 360 and PS3 are ringing up 59.99.[/QUOTE]
Interesting... Need to flip a few games and try that out.

[quote name='nakanenui']add in printing out covers and finding cases for the trade-in of MUA and FORZA2. All the stores around me wouldnt take disc only (sux to be me). Spent exactly $4 at Kinkos printing out covers and used a dvd case from an old movie. Employee took the black case no problem. One of the printouts didnt scan so it was a manual look up. Turned $17+$4 into 37 GR credit. Worth the hassle? Meh, ok turnaround.[/quote]

Next time you go to Gamestop, ask them if they can give you some 360 cases. Often (every time I've asked) they have them behind the counter from the dummy preorder boxes and are more than willing to give them to you for free.

[quote name='io']I've never even bothered to look, but do any regular Blockbuster stores SELL Blu-Ray movies? That is one way I could possibly make use of my credit if so... Not that I have anything to play them on ;).[/quote]

The one I work at is starting to. Only have about a dozen titles though. Can't remember but a few.
resident evil 3
pirates 3
5th element
fantastic 4 silver surfer

There's more but I can't remember

[quote name='nakanenui']add in printing out covers and finding cases for the trade-in of MUA and FORZA2. All the stores around me wouldnt take disc only (sux to be me). Spent exactly $4 at Kinkos printing out covers and used a dvd case from an old movie. Employee took the black case no problem. One of the printouts didnt scan so it was a manual look up. Turned $17+$4 into 37 GR credit. Worth the hassle? Meh, ok turnaround.[/quote]

Luckily my BB guys took the single double disc case that came with the Pro bundle. Took em a while to look up the games, but yea...I was really not looking forward to scanning/printing!

[quote name='Bezerker']I can confirm that Tony Hawk: Proving Ground LE (360) is $25. My target had 4 of them at $14.75, i'll wait til they drop to $7.XX next week before I grab them.[/QUOTE]

I thought that it came up as not found in the block buster system according to someone else?

Just curious if you're sure about this...

[quote name='biznutch']I was at two Targets in Jax yesterday and both had this for 75% off. Did you scan it?[/QUOTE]

ALL Target Stores have difference clearance structures for their clearanced product, video game or other merchandise. Its a crap shoot (and horribly annoying)

I did some serious CAG work the other day when trading in a game at a Blockbuster in Columbus, Ohio. When I was waiting in line to trade in my game (my last cheaply-obtained Madden '06 :( -- Oh well) a big group of Blockbuster employees were standing nearby discussing where they were planning on having lunch together. This group was mostly women, but the person in charge was a man in his mid-forties and he seemed to be some sort of executive. I figured he was either a district manager or regional manager, and that probably all those people were managers or owners of various Columbus Blockbuster stores. He could've been the vice president for all I know. . .

Anyhoo, he finished up discussing what was on the agenda and passed near me. That was my cue to grab his attention with a very important question: "Hey, I was wondering when Blockbuster would run another one of those 'buy one game get the second at 50% off' sales like you had last year?" He replied to me that with Blockbuster under new corporate management, there hadn't been any decisions yet made about going back to the kind of sales they produced in the past. I made it very clear to him that I really wanted to see specials like that return to Blockbuster. His reply was that he would relay that message to those who make the big decisions.

I sure hope we see another sale in the next month or two.

Just doing my duty. *salutes*

[quote name='biznutch']I was at two Targets in Jax yesterday and both had this for 75% off. Did you scan it?[/quote]

TH:pG at $14.xx is 75% off Targets original $59.99 price

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']I was able to confirm Alvin and the Chipmunks for the Wii fetches $30. Not the best flipper if you buy at $19.99.

Anyway to get it cheaper?[/quote]

Maybe used at gamestop with the edge card and the 10% off coupon like most of the current flippers.

well i can conffirm that GR (at least mine) has DMC4 Special Edition up for PRE-ORDER for $59.99!!! This is for the PS3 version of course. So im going to place a pre-order for it after work today...tho im doubting they'll actually get it in...but we'll have to see when i go. Also hoping to go trade-in some Hour of Victory at some point...

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Maybe used at gamestop with the edge card and the 10% off coupon like most of the current flippers.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but usually GS is slow with their used game prices. The price drop hasn't seem to have occurred yet. =/

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Maybe used at gamestop with the edge card and the 10% off coupon like most of the current flippers.[/quote]

Checked 3 Gamestops, no used Alvin's to be found.
Best bet, for me, is that I have a couple 15 off 100 circuit city coupons.
Buy them there, 5 for 85, $17 a piece plus tax, works out to a 11.xx profit.
Good luck finding 5 copies at a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back