The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='Karuto']I just traded in Alvin and the Chipmunks for the Wii.

It gets $32, not $30 as mentioned earlier.[/quote]

YMMV. I got $30 for it yesterday at 2 different stores (one GR, one non-GR). I remember one GR store giving $40 while everywhere else gave $35 for a certain game a while back. Too bad that store is gone now.

When I bought Alvin yesterday at GS, it was a promo price so the 10% off coupon didn't work. They didn't have any used copies.

[quote name='lude21']hmmm...thx..i was suprised to see RFOM trades for 30, the psp game i have is daxter, i know i probably wont get much for that. i want Orange box for PS3...heres another question. they sell new games? dont really want 2 get rid of RFOM but havin played it in forever and RFOM 2 is coming anyway.[/quote]

I wish I had traded it to Blockbuster. I traded mine at GameStop and got $18. They were still selling it for $55 at the time. :p

No more trades to GameStop. It's all going to Blockbuster until there's a chance to convert credit. Anyone know how much Halo 3 gets?

Has anyone recently traded in a DS lite lately?

They won't quote me a price unless I take it in which makes no sense. But I digress.

Since GS is having a $10 + trade for systems, if someone could help that would be appreciated

[quote name='djkunai']This should help.[/quote]
Thank you for saving me the trouble Kunai. It seems like this is going to be a once per page kind of thing. Unless there are a lot of certifiably deaf-mute people on this board, people are just incredibly lazy. I'm still waiting for someone to ask us what time their local store is open til.

[quote name='Bezerker']Thank you for saving me the trouble Kunai. It seems like this is going to be a once per page kind of thing. Unless there are a lot of certifiably deaf-mute people on this board, people are just incredibly lazy. I'm still waiting for someone to ask us what time their local store is open til.[/QUOTE]

they there are some of as that doesn't have a GR on their front door. I live in the NYC and the closes GR is in Staten island that requires A) a 30 minute ride plus $10 + tolls or B) 25 minute ferry ride plus a 20 minute ride from my brother you lives in SI. SO before I trek out there it would good to know if its even worth it. GS is dime a dozen but their trade i values always suck. The regular BB don't accept hardware in my area so it has to be GR or ebay.

GR are never keen on giving out values unless they scan it themselves sometimes you'll get lucky but more often than not GR workers never give you the value over the phone.

What he meant was that if people have a question they should first consult our dear friend mister:
sassy_talk_to_me_telephone_1.jpg

Activated my 20-wk rental card that I received for purchasing the $600 80GB PS3 bundle. Used it to rent Endless Ocean for Wii, after using the free rental, I bought it on the spot. Was charged the previously played price of $24.99. (Of course I dumped a copy of The Bigs prior to the rental)

Gamerush wouldn't give me a trade price for Pimp My Ride 360, so if anyone happens to get one, I'd be extremely grateful.

Interesting observations of a regular (non-GR) Blockbuster tonight:

I went there with some of my credit hoping to pick up Wii Points cards or MS points cards (I had bought a Wii Points card there before). As I walk up I see a sign that says "Clearance on toys and games!". Sweet, I'm thinking, a discount on the few new games they carry. Alas, it was not to be as it meant the frontlane toy stuff like Shrek Etch-A-Sketch and High School Musical 8-balls and stuff like that. I did get a Harry Potter Chinese Fireball dragon plush for my daughter (on sale for $5.99 from $7.99) and a Pirates of the Caribbean chess set for my son's birthday (on sale for $12.99 from $19.99) so the trip was not a complete waste. FINALLY, something to spend my credit on ;).

Now, the more interesting part for you guys is the big PS3 display they had set up - complete with a 40" (or so) widescreen HDTV and a PLAYABLE PS3! This little kiosk had the signs up for the $599 PS3 deal, a couple of PS3 boxes, a Rock Band (for PS3) box, and several Blu-Ray movies. So much for my plan of buying Blu-Ray movies from Blockbuster, though, as Ratatouille, which I would definitely be interested in, was $34.99. Even at the credit "discount" that hardly seems worth it to me. Maybe if I actually HAD a PS3... Anyway, then I checked out their new game stock. Except for one 360 game (Halo 3) all their new games were for the PS3 - Assassin's Creed, Ratchet, Lego Star Wars, Uncharted, and a few others. I would have been very tempted ot get Burnout Paradise for the 360 if they had it, so maybe that's for the best anyway (they didn't have it for PS3 either).

So while it is nice to see a playable demo system there of any kind (keep in mind this is NOT a GR store!) it seems they are phasing out the other stuff in favor of PS3 exclusivity. This sucks for me since that is the only system I don't currently have. Maybe if the rumored drop comes along and BB follows suit with a $100 drop on that bundle then I'll get it... We'll see... Note also that there is a slight possibilty all they had left was PS3 games because no one buys them and the 360 and Wii stuff is just temporarily sold out - there hasn't been a big release in a while for either of those systems (assuming they didn't get Burnout Paradise in yet) so any stock would have been there for a while and prbably sold before Christmas.

In terms of accessories they no longer had any points cards (Wii or 360) and just had cards up for 2 Wii remotes and 2 PS3 controllers - no 360 stuff at all...

[quote name='JJSP']Gamerush wouldn't give me a trade price for Pimp My Ride 360, so if anyone happens to get one, I'd be extremely grateful.[/QUOTE]

Here this should help.

And io, one of my GR has that same display, and most have the game clearance thing as well.

[quote name='Draknight']they there are some of as that doesn't have a GR on their front door. I live in the NYC and the closes GR is in Staten island that requires A) a 30 minute ride plus $10 + tolls or B) 25 minute ferry ride plus a 20 minute ride from my brother you lives in SI. SO before I trek out there it would good to know if its even worth it. GS is dime a dozen but their trade i values always suck. The regular BB don't accept hardware in my area so it has to be GR or ebay.

GR are never keen on giving out values unless they scan it themselves sometimes you'll get lucky but more often than not GR workers never give you the value over the phone.[/quote]

The post wasnt really referring to systems, but towards games. But since BB uses the same system as gamerush, they would still be able to tell you how much its worth. Plus, you could always call another Gamerush.

[quote name='djkunai']Here this should help.

And io, one of my GR has that same display, and most have the game clearance thing as well.[/QUOTE]
You bring the camera, I'll bring the glitter. If we hit a store in West Hollywood, they won't even notice.

[quote name='djkunai']

And io, one of my GR has that same display, and most have the game clearance thing as well.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm surprised no one mentioned it as last we heard most GR stores were getting rid of their last gen demo systems and not putting in anything for the new systems. Seemed like big news to me (and this store didn't have it last time I was there in late December),

Here in Jersey the TR and Brick Blockbuster just got the PS3 demo kiosks. I'm waiting to see if they put one in the Asbury/Neptune store, not a nice area. I wouldn't be surprised to see it carried out by some locals while the empolyees were busy talking to friends.

Current credit $565. Need $75 more to get the PS3 bundle.(640 w/tax).

Thank you Darkness, Forza 2, Marvel UA, HoV, and friends.

Alvin will get me my PS3 on Tuesday!

[quote name='stone1061']Here in Jersey the TR and Brick Blockbuster just got the PS3 demo kiosks. I'm waiting to see if they put one in the Asbury/Neptune store, not a nice area. I wouldn't be surprised to see it carried out by some locals while the empolyees were busy talking to friends.

Current credit $565. Need $75 more to get the PS3 bundle.(640 w/tax).

Thank you Darkness, Forza 2, Marvel UA, HoV, and friends.

Alvin will get me my PS3 on Tuesday![/quote]
Congrats!!! And good choice on the waiting to see if that rumored price drop will actually happen. :applause: I think this thread, single handedly, is going to push the PS3 past the 360 in US sales.

While flipping, has anyone seen PS3 without the bundle at Blockbuster. Someone on a slickdeal thread said they saw a 80g with out the 20 week rental, surfs up, etc.
I would think with trouble of setting up the kiosk demo that they would offer customers a cheaper option than the $600 package. Why not offer the 40 or 80g model.
I don't 'need' the 20 week rental, i got Blockbuster online. it would be good for games but i'd rather save some of the credit if they were going to have a non bundle PS3.
Arhg, i'm itching to go over and just get it today!

[quote name='stone1061']While flipping, has anyone seen PS3 without the bundle at Blockbuster. Someone on a slickdeal thread said they saw a 80g with out the 20 week rental, surfs up, etc.
I would think with trouble of setting up the kiosk demo that they would offer customers a cheaper option than the $600 package. Why not offer the 40 or 80g model.
I don't 'need' the 20 week rental, i got Blockbuster online. it would be good for games but i'd rather save some of the credit if they were going to have a non bundle PS3.
Arhg, i'm itching to go over and just get it today![/quote]

I was told at one of my local stores that they had a 40GB PS3 in stock. No backwards compatibility, but that doesn't matter if you have a PS2 or don't want to play PS2 games anymore.

A bit offtopic, how much is an EDGE card at GameStop...some of these deals are great. I haven't flipped much in a while...but the HoV and A&C seem like good deals. Now I just need things to buy....what do I want.

[quote name='JJSP']Gamerush wouldn't give me a trade price for Pimp My Ride 360, so if anyone happens to get one, I'd be extremely grateful.[/quote]

It was $19 last week. Doubt it's changed. Not a bad deal considering it's clearanced at Sears for $6.

I know it's been a while, but the reason I asked how much Halo 3 is was because Blockbuster won't tell me. I was just curious, but I guess people have a fun time being jerks around here. :S

I got 2 MUA/Forzas today.

Went to BB and tried to trade them in. They said we cannot accept anything that doesn't have a barcode. So does that mean I have to put both games in different cases and print out the covers with the barcodes???

If thats the case, can someone send me a link to where I can print them out and what dimensions ? Thanks.

Traded today:
Alvin for the Wii--30
Jaws XBox--16

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I got 2 MUA/Forzas today.

Went to BB and tried to trade them in. They said we cannot accept anything that doesn't have a barcode. So does that mean I have to put both games in different cases and print out the covers with the barcodes???

If thats the case, can someone send me a link to where I can print them out and what dimensions ? Thanks.[/quote]

Try searching this thread, the answers to all of your questions are just a few pages back.

Simple answer, YES use an old dvd case that you have laying around and print off the covers if the store is giving you a problem. I have done this countless times and have never faced a problem (the covers cost about 20 cents per at staples).

Also if your asking for a trade in price that you dont see listed in the thread, then nobody has traded it in and we have just as good a guess as you when pertaining to what the trade in value will be. Just call.

[quote name='Bezerker']Thank you for saving me the trouble Kunai. It seems like this is going to be a once per page kind of thing. Unless there are a lot of certifiably deaf-mute people on this board, people are just incredibly lazy. I'm still waiting for someone to ask us what time their local store is open til.[/QUOTE]

Kunai and Bezerker, both of you are being unnecessarily rude. The purpose of this board is for CAGs to share and exchange information. I contribute plenty to this thread, and was just asking if anyone had traded those items.

1) The Wiki isn't updated frequently
2) My closest GR is 30 minutes away
3) I looked around on the thread and didn't find the answer I was looking for.
4) I've never spent less than 20 minutes on hold calling GR for trade values. When I do, I happily share them with my fellow CAGs. I prefer not to have to sit on hold for 20 minutes, so I asked.

So, after 30 minutes on hold this time... I DID get trade prices. I supposed I shouldn't share them, but put a link to a kiddy cell phone if anyone asks what they were. However, since I'm not a tool like you two:

Jericho (PS3) $26
Folklore (PS3) $36

Since they're currently $25 and $30 respectively at my BB, that may be worth a try.

In closing, I'm not trying to continue a flame war that you started, I'm justing pointing out the purpose of this board. And in doing so, continuing with my long-standing tradition of sharing in and contributing to the CAG community. If you choose not to share, keep it to yourselves.

[quote name='Bezerker']You need a new phone if it can only dial the number for one Blockbuster location.[/quote]

When did I say I only called one Blockbuster? :roll:

I thought it was relatively harmless to ask, since Halo 3 is such a popular game and I was wondering if anyone had traded it recently. As gorgo mentioned, the wiki isn't updated that much. If you don't know the answer, then don't post. There's no need to start an attack, unless you have nothing better to do.

io, do you think we could use the second post in this thread, the one that just says 'reserved' to show the current flippers? I think it might help with alot of the questions people are asking in here.

*EDIT*
Well it worked once...cant get it to work again, but the price still shows as 17.99 for used alvin and the chipmunks

*double edit*
it does work http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=917187
Look at the header it says 'used' but only shows the new price, i saw the used price on the page before.

[quote name='gorgo']Kunai and Bezerker, both of you are being unnecessarily rude. The purpose of this board is for CAGs to share and exchange information. I contribute plenty to this thread, and was just asking if anyone had traded those items.

1) The Wiki isn't updated frequently
2) My closest GR is 30 minutes away
3) I looked around on the thread and didn't find the answer I was looking for.
4) I've never spent less than 20 minutes on hold calling GR for trade values. When I do, I happily share them with my fellow CAGs. I prefer not to have to sit on hold for 20 minutes, so I asked.

So, after 30 minutes on hold this time... I DID get trade prices. I supposed I shouldn't share them, but put a link to a kiddy cell phone if anyone asks what they were. However, since I'm not a tool like you two:

Jericho (PS3) $26
Folklore (PS3) $36

Since they're currently $25 and $30 respectively at my BB, that may be worth a try.

In closing, I'm not trying to continue a flame war that you started, I'm justing pointing out the purpose of this board. And in doing so, continuing with my long-standing tradition of sharing in and contributing to the CAG community. If you choose not to share, keep it to yourselves.[/quote]
I completely agree. It's as though people jump at the opportunity when they see a fellow CAGer ask a question about the trade-in value of a game and all they do is see if they can come up with the most smart ass response ever instead of actually helping a person or simply stating "search this thread for your answer"

As many people have stated, their questions are not always answered in this thread or Wiki and sometimes it'd be easier to have someone answer their question since the point of this website is about helping each other and sharing information right?

I know I haven't been updating the Wiki as much recently. Is no one doing it? I'd like to ask anyone here that is a frequent Blockbuster trader to take over that duty if so. Just PM Cheapy and ask for a Wiki account and say it is necessary for the upkeep of this thread (and that I suggested it - not that that will mean much ;)). I am about to get more busy for work and am still having trading issues at my local stores so I'm just not into the whole scene so much any more (plus I also have more than enough credit - getting more just doesn't help me in any way).

In the future let's keep the snide comments about people asking for trade-in prices to a minimum. Now, if the current price is IN THE WIKI and say, less than a week old, then feel free to flame away ;).

Of course it goes without saying to keep requests for trade-in prices to a minimum as well. Look back a few pages and in the wiki first if, and then if, for some reason, you can't/don't want to call then ask. If no one knows your post will get ignored - no harm there.

irishsoccermbw - if you (or someone else) wants to compile me a list of the "flippers" I will put it in the second post and maintain it there. List the game, system, how much it gets at GR, and where it can be bought for less (and how much, obviously). In the past I would have avoided collecting such info in one place because you'd think someone at Blockbuster would be monitoring this and then adjust things accordingly, but I really don't think they bother.

I would think a list of the flippable games would be a very bad idea. Infact I think that having to search some threw this thread is how alot of these deals have stayed alive.
It would probably more than double the employees reporting this thread/board to corp.
And im sure within a day someone will have an updated list on other deal sites.

OK, just to get the Wiki cleanup up a bit I have entered all the prices from the last 4-5 pages that I could pull out of all the other posts.

If I missed anything let me know. It was actually hard to figure out what MUA and Forza were since I'm out of that loop and everyone just reports the combo price if they do so at all. I think it is $22 for Forza and $15 for MUA, right?

A small observation - I see some flipping potential in Soul Calibur Legends for the Wii. It has got to drop or go on clearance somewhere soon and it gets $30 according to ViolentLee (hooray for his review copies of crappy games!). Same possibly for Blacksite Area 51 for the 360.

Skelah - In the past I would have agreed with you there. But really, if it took so long to "fix" Beowulf and Monster Madness (not to mention Forza/MUA which still aren't "fixed") that I really don't think they are watching this thread. It doesn't take a lot of digging to find out what everyone here is trading. Then again, it was never a big deal for me to look back a few pages to see what was up with the current trade-in deals. Now, however, I wouldn't mind the list as I can use it to plan out the occasional GC trade-in price match - which is what I've been doing more recently with some of these Blockbuster game prices. What a difference a chain makes though, as at Gamecrazy I had the manager congratulating me on finding out that Forza trade-in price at BB (back when it was $30 or so) and commenting that he needed to get a few to trade himself :lol:.

Another note - you know, it is perfectly acceptable to post trade-in values of games that aren't huge "flippers". I noticed a trend looking back for trade-in values of people almost apologizing for posting games with low trade-in values (or ones that couldn't be bougth cheap elsewhere). You know, this thread isn't supposed to be all about flipping for massive credit. Some people may actually just want to trade their own games in and want to compare GR to GC and EB/GS for them. So keep the trade-in prices of all sorts coming!

[quote name='Rob26Smith']Here is a small flip. Sears has Eragon (360) for 3.97. I just traded it to BB for 12.[/QUOTE]

I went to update the Wiki and it is in there from Jan 1st at $7. Does your store still do the $5 bonus trade-in deal or is this the straight-up price?

[quote name='io']I went to update the Wiki and it is in there from Jan 1st at $7. Does your store still do the $5 bonus trade-in deal or is this the straight-up price?[/QUOTE]

Straight up price. I don't think any BB in my area ever had the $5 bonus.

For the Wiki -

Virtua Tennis 3 (360) - $15
Halo 3 (360) - $28.50
NCAA Football 08 (360)- $22

I got the $5 bonus on each for trading in 3. Not too shabby in my opinion.

[quote name='bustamark']For the Wiki -

Virtua Tennis 3 (360) - $20
Halo 3 (360) - $33.50
NCAA Football 08 (360)- $27

Oddly enough, all were quoted to me exactly $5 lower over the phone.[/quote]

Your store does the $5 bonus! Which store was this?

Alvin and the Chipmunks indeed does get 30. Great trade if you can find it used (along with HoV). I think I am done with the Forza/MUA at the closest store to me i went back and checked what games they had and they have 6 copies of MUA lol.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I got 2 MUA/Forzas today.

If thats the case, can someone send me a link to where I can print them out and what dimensions ? Thanks.

Traded today:
Alvin for the Wii--30
Jaws XBox--16[/quote]

BB is crap. Gamestop takes them, I know because I do it all the time as an employee, and you won't need to print anything. Just take them in.

Wait BB is crap? Your in the wrong thread, this thread is basically manipulating gamestop used games to get tons of credit at bb/gr.

Also just print the covers out at staples, and use the cutter they have there. Pretty easy.

What the hell happened to my reply? I just finished telling him how he'd get $74 at GameRush whereas he'd get $25 max at GameStop.

Don't spread the "GameStop Love" here...

I was simply saying, if he doesn't want to go through the hassle of having to print out individual sheets with barcodes, then just take it to GS.

I could care less for my job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back