The One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure Thread

Daw19yoyo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I figure there are other CAG's out there who look in other People's Trash (NOT IN THE BAD WAY:D) When the see good thing's in there. These are their Stories... (Get the quote from a T.V. Show)

So here are mine...
Best one first.
One Day I was walking home from School (It was raining) and i see this Tiger doll thing in someone's Trashcan near my house. I pick it up to give to my sister. She likes it and i think that's the end of it. It isn't. The people,Who's house is 2 or 3 down from mine, ask me if I want any of their things that the had extra. I say yes and they say that i can come over later and they will have their stuff out in their yard. I come over and see the motherload of free stuff. I Really Regret Being young then. I only wanted some board games and their pokemon Stuff..:cry::D. I got some cards and a miss written Movie Called Jumanji, I think, we got other things but those stick out the most to me.

Recent one.
One day, a week or 2 ago, I bought GTA 4 from Gamestop for like $16.xx, and leave (I am Power Pro so I get 10% off used stuff.) And leave the store. I see a Bent GS Gift Card on the Floor and Grab It For no reason. I mostly forget about it Untill last Night When I look Up The balance, By calling the number on the back of the Card. I find out that I now have a bent GC That has $3.66 on it WOO HOO! I got free Money!!!

If i have anymore i will post.

POST YOU STORIES!!
(P.S What Tag's Should I put for this thread?)

I found a TV on the curb in the trash in Japan, and took it inside to discover that it worked fine. (2nd hand stores were not a big thing in Japan in the 80's, and still aren't really.)

Sorry. I Did not see that thread, but now since no one has posted on it since feb, We could hopefully post on here too... right? PWEASE! *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Yeah, I forgot that thread even existed. I'm fine with posting here unless this thread's existence is personally hurtful to you blinding?

I found $50 on the side of teh road as a kid. I bought my first PS2 game with it! (Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey To Jaburo) That was an awesome day!

[quote name='Zaku77']Yeah, I forgot that thread even existed. I'm fine with posting here unless this thread's existence is personally hurtful to you blinding?[/QUOTE]

It just seems smarter to keep things consolidated for easy viewing like the Yard Sale, Thrift Store, and Post Your Collection threads.

Do as you wish, I was just pointing it out.

No dumpster diving, but my neighbor was throwing away his fat PS2 with network adapter and everything last night. I asked if I could have it and he said sure. :D

Reminds me of everytime I go to a thrift store. I remember finding an X'eye with original controller in terrible condition, cleaned it up works just fine.

I've never found anything gaming related except a disc only copy of one of Phantasy Star games on the GCN, think it was Episode I and II.

I guess kind of related -

A friend of mine game me his fried PS3 (won't power on) today. I needed a hard drive for a laptop that crashed, and he was going to just going to trash it... so it was a win/win.

It was an 80gb....and he said it still has everything in it (other than the hard drive now) is it worth doing anything with the rest of it, or should I trash it and let it be someone else's treasure now??

I would want it it would be a sweet thing to have. I mean be like "Oh yeay i got a PS3 Let's play. *Press's power button" *Jack in the box* AGHHH WTF?

I would so want that.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']I guess kind of related -

A friend of mine game me his fried PS3 (won't power on) today. I needed a hard drive for a laptop that crashed, and he was going to just going to trash it... so it was a win/win.

It was an 80gb....and he said it still has everything in it (other than the hard drive now) is it worth doing anything with the rest of it, or should I trash it and let it be someone else's treasure now??[/QUOTE]
What's wrong with it? Did he say? Some PS3 problems can be fixed pretty easily.

If it's just that it no longer reads discs, then it may just need a different Blu-Ray drive/lens....and a hard drive.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What's wrong with it? Did he say? Some PS3 problems can be fixed pretty easily.

If it's just that it no longer reads discs, then it may just need a different Blu-Ray drive/lens....and a hard drive.[/QUOTE]

It won't power on at all. He thinks he got a power surge or something, as it went out around the same time his cable box died.

Man, the only thing I ever remember does basically relate to dumpster diving as when I was younger I lived in some apartments and found a leather cd case thing full of ps1 discs, I dont really remember which games but there were a lot of sports ones and I do remember a few of them actually were fun.

Not game related, but I get all of my department's used ink and toner cartridges and recycle them to Staples. I use the Staples rewards to buy my own printer ink, pens, etc, tax-free. It's an easy $40-100 a month in Staples credit.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']It won't power on at all. He thinks he got a power surge or something, as it went out around the same time his cable box died.[/QUOTE]

Did he have it plugged into a surge protector? I'm guessing not if it got hit and now refuses to power on.

Either way, since it's outta warranty you could call Sony and I believe the repair cost would be $150, though they would probably need the HDD to be in it.

I threw away some old school "Battleship" game boards this week that I purchased at a yard sale. I tossed them because they smelled like a dog had pissed on them. I woke up early this morning because the garbage men were loud and I looked out the window to see one of them carrying the games. Have fun with those, dude!

Grabbed a free PS2 gameshark in a box of rejected games from gamestop the other day...guy just left them there and they were giving them away. Been wanting one of those things for a while now. Made my day.

When I was young, I found two winning lottery tickets in our garden. Apparently someone either threw them out of a car or they blew out. One was for $2 and one for a free ticket.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']What else was in the box?[/QUOTE]

Early 00s ps2 sports games mostly, I think there was a tony hawk something in there, nothing else really worth noting or even taking home.

Found a n64, rumble pack, and Mario nes. The n64 had full of dead baby roaches so I threw that away and kept the rest which was clean and in working condition

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Did he have it plugged into a surge protector? I'm guessing not if it got hit and now refuses to power on.
Either way, since it's outta warranty you could call Sony and I believe the repair cost would be $150, though they would probably need the HDD to be in it.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where they draw the line, probably depends on the employee, but it should still be worth $15-$30 at Gamestop after the refurbish fee.

I thought I'd bump this up to see if any new good finds in the trash. I recently found a new unused cable modem in the trash room of my apt that I sold for 40 bucks on eBay and even more useful was a working HP LCD monitor with built in speakers. When I went home to my parents over Christmas I brought it and set it up on my desk in my old bedroom so I was able to play Xbox 360 over the week. I already had a 360 VGA cable laying around so I just plugged it right in and was good to go. If I want to do the ps3 or wii next time I'm home for a while I'll have to just pull out my vga box. A swing and a miss, but I'll give the GF credit for trying. She called me from work saying in the trashroom was like 55 inch HD tv in the trashroom that looked fine but had no power cable. So she dragged the thing in by herself. When I got home I got a power cable and plugged it in and once it turned out you could see the screen had been damaged had a spider web shooting out from where it was damaged. Dragged back to the trashroom.

I was set up at a Flea Market and the kid next to me had an Xbox and games that didn't sell. Said he didn't feel like bringing it back home and asked if I wanted it free so I said sure. It was the Halo edition Xbox with Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Conker Live & Reloaded, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and then a bunch of commons. All the worthwhile ones were complete, the Xbox doesn't work though.

bread's done
Back