The Orange Box: Team Fortress 2 - Gen. Discussion

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

http://orange.half-life2.com/
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2M_MqlJVqQ[/media]​
Features

The Orange Box delivers five innovative games from Valve®, creators of the blockbuster Half-Life franchise, in one action-packed box. The Orange Box includes Half-Life® 2: Episode Two, Portal™ and Team Fortress® 2 in addition to full versions of the award-winning Half-Life® 2 and Half-Life® 2: Episode One for an engrossing first-person action experience.
  • Five games, one orange box: The Orange Box is the ultimate collection of innovative action games for the console, and an amazing introduction to the Half-Lifeseries for console gamers.
  • Epic storyline: Half-Life 2: Episode Two takes you deeper into one of the best-known stories in gaming, following the desperate struggle of Gordon Freeman against the mysterious Combine. In this episode, you must leave the confines of City 17 for the first time and face even greater dangers beyond the city walls.
  • Redefining action: Portal delivers an innovative new action gaming experience. Arming you with a portal gun that lets you create portals from one location to another with the press of a button, Portal will forever change the way that you interact with your environment.
  • World-class multiplayer: Team Fortress 2 is the sequel to the granddaddy of role-based multiplayer action games. Featuring nine distinct roles—Heavy, Spy, Scout, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Sniper, Soldier, and Pyro—Team Fortress 2 is one of this year’s most anticipated multiplayer games for any platform.
1170869331.jpg
Achievment List:
http://www.achieve360points.com/game/theorangebox/
---------------------------
Please use this thread to discuss Team Fortress 2.

Other game discussions here:----------------------------
CAG Teamfortress 2 Players (CAG CLAN):
[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Here is the friends list I've compiled for people that specifically expressed interest in gaming with other CAGs. If you want to be added, just say so and I'll try to keep a decent list. In order of when people voiced interest (as I didn't want to sit here and alphabetize them just yet):

CAG Name - XBLA Name
  • anomynous - anomynous
  • blackflag - bl4ckfl4g
  • Chibi_Kaji - Chibi Kaji
  • contej85 - petrieslastword
  • Dandeschain - danmagz
  • DCriminal - DCriminal
  • deadite76 - Deadite76
  • doc_zaius - Zaius3000
  • exileinoblivion - CarlWinslow2000
  • GeneralJenkins - GeneralJenkins
  • greattastic - rjc7two3
  • jalu6 - Algebratwo
  • jfunkdpg - Bahamut81
  • LinkinPrime - LinkinPrime
  • Malkovich - King Hyral
  • modium - TheModium
  • mrelusive - Frag Off Kindly
  • Negative - NegativeX99
  • -Never4ever- - Never4ever
  • nmon3447 - KooPaL
  • Pestilence - Pestilent Wings
  • poisonedpawn45 - Pawn45
  • Puffa469 - Puffa469
  • RandyTsai - RNY68
  • RudyPants - RudyPants
  • Santurio - Ramo Z
  • Scorch - ScorchX
  • seanr1221 - SeanR1221
  • shieryda - Shyreese
  • ThatDamnDave - ThatDamnDave
  • twen - twenzor
  • valor19 - R1V3R5
Edit: I'd love to add everyone, but the ridiculous limit on XBLA friends (they should be falling all over themselves to encourage the development of community over XBL instead of limiting people to 100 acquaintances) means I can't. So, add me if you're interested, I'll do a friends list purge to free up some space.[/quote]

[quote name='Scorch']Are we doing a CAG clan with this? I'm down if we are.[/quote]

Sounds great, I'd be down also.

I've never played any of these games... are they any good? Any thoughts as to whether to buy this or Halo 3 (I've never played Halo either).

[quote name='javeryh']I've never played any of these games... are they any good? Any thoughts as to whether to buy this or Halo 3 (I've never played Halo either).[/quote]

Can't you buy both? I'll be splitting time between the two, once my console gets shipped back.:cry:

[quote name='RandyTsai']im down to join a cag clan. linkin, whats considered late nights. Im available after 10.[/quote]

Usually after 11pm.

[quote name='shieryda']Can't you buy both? I'll be splitting time between the two, once my console gets shipped back.:cry:[/quote]

I suppose I could but I've still got to finish Metroid Prime 3 and start Bioshock. That's a lot of FPSing. It does seem like EVERYONE is playing Halo 3 and I'm missing out on something big though...

What classes do you guys play? I try to mix it up between Sniper, Spy, Soldier and Engineer. I'll be a medic if the team needs one. I rarely, if ever, play HWGuy, Scout, Demoman or Pyro. Pyro has got to be the most useless class..

I like to switch it up, though I gravitate towards engineer (it's fun to bash people with the crowbar). Can the medic infect the opposing team's players in this version? Also, I heard that there won't be grenades. Is that true?

Grenades are out, yeah.

I'm going to experiment with class. On TFC I was a soldier to start with and migrated more to engineer as time went on.

I'm pumped for this and would be down for a CAG clan. Does this or any game for that matter have true clan support? Seems like it would have come in handy on CAG for like...countless games thus far. Chromehounds I think counts for clan support, are there even others?.

[quote name='Scorch']What classes do you guys play? I try to mix it up between Sniper, Spy, Soldier and Engineer. I'll be a medic if the team needs one. I rarely, if ever, play HWGuy, Scout, Demoman or Pyro. Pyro has got to be the most useless class..[/quote]
A person named SCORCH doesnt like the pyro class? How inappropriate.

That being said, I agree. Of all the classes the Pyro is my #1 least played so far. My tops are Eng, Medic and Demoman.

[quote name='javeryh']I've never played any of these games... are they any good? Any thoughts as to whether to buy this or Halo 3 (I've never played Halo either).[/QUOTE]

I liked Half Life 2 and Episode 1 a lot more than the Halo games. If you have never played Half Life 2 and Episode 1, you are getting a lot of single player gaming for your money, probably about 25-30 hours for HL2 and the 2 episodes. For me it comes down to variety, Halo is a run and gun FPS with great vehicle action, Half Life combines action with some puzzle elements to break up the pacing and has better setpieces (IMO). I liked the Half Life 2 style gameplay more, Halo 3 didn't have enough gameplay variety IMO, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Usually when I see these two games compared people base it on the stories. I don't think either has an amazing story, but I think Half Life 2 does a great job of incorporating you into the story through the actual gameplay rather than cutscenes.

I can't comment on TF2 vs. Halo 3 for multiplayer because I haven't played TF2 yet.

I can't comment on Portal either, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. It's a clever physics based puzzle game, that I've heard is actually funny.

I am buying this purely for TF2. TFC was the one fps that I was great at. I was in clans, and played semi-professionaly. Only noone got paid back then, if was still a few years before Counterstrike got big. Out of 50,000+ players I was consistently ranked in the top 100 players.

Of course I pretty much suck at shooters now, especially ones on the console, so I doubt the 'glory days' of my Team Fortress dominance are on their way back. Still, I cant wait to play this, and if its anywhere near as good as the old game was, I'd be up for some clan play.

I'll probably pick the 360 version up too. I look foward to seeing how tf2 plays on a console. I suspect the crappy controls will make scout harder to hit and engie harder to play.
Pyros don't suck anymore and are pretty fun. Even before the patch they had their uses, but now they are right up there in terms of dmg and usefullness. They can ruin a large group in seconds.

The achievments will be fun to go after and I hope they are more challenging then the incredibly easy pc ones.

Is this releasing today? On IGN and Microsoft's website it says it's release date is today but Gamestop is releasing it tomorrow. WTF?!

[quote name='RynoZebz']I just called Gamestop and they said it doesn't come out until tomorrow.[/quote]
Oh, that must be what the "In Stores 10/10/07" on the commcercials means.

Come on, guys. Ships from the vendors on the 9th. In stores on the 10th. Not that hard to figure out.

im also in for a cag clan... i used to play tfc til my hands hurt and it was so much fun. without the original half life and tfc im not sure id be as big a gamer as i am now (im 24 but halflife was a pretty big game for me).

XBL: GeneralJenkins

Don't hate! lol I was just super excited for this game today and was let down when I found that my sources were conflicted for the release date. Even Xbox.com has it releasing on the 9th. Oh well. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for this treasure trove of gaming goodness.

[quote name='Scorch']Oh, that must be what the "In Stores 10/10/07" on the commcercials means.

Come on, guys. Ships from the vendors on the 9th. In stores on the 10th. Not that hard to figure out.[/quote]

[quote name='Pestilence']Guys!!! a new "meet the" video is up featuring the demo man.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26152.html?e3i=1

watch it, its fucking hilarious.

BTW, if you havent seen these before, look up the other 3 (engineer, heavy, and soldier)[/QUOTE]
Best one yet. "Prancing aboot with yer heads full of eyeballs!!"

I must say, I've been wondering why in the hell this game was rated M until I saw the shower of body parts at the end there. Classic!

[quote name='RynoZebz']Don't hate! lol I was just super excited for this game today and was let down when I found that my sources were conflicted for the release date. Even Xbox.com has it releasing on the 9th. Oh well. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for this treasure trove of gaming goodness.[/quote]

It's released from the publisher today, the 9th. It takes time to get to the stores. Some stores may have it tonight, but the large majority will have it tomorrow.

It's not that long of a wait. Come on, i've waited for TF2 for 8 years now, another 24 hours won't hurt.

I'm guessing that PC and 360 interplay is out of the question. I put my 5 down so I could get into the TF2 Beta. Wondering if I should pick it up on steam or go the 360 route. It ran OK on my rig, but not great. Wonder if there are any comparison screens impressions?

Anyone wanna help a brother out?

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']I'm guessing that PC and 360 interplay is out of the question. I put my 5 down so I could get into the TF2 Beta. Wondering if I should pick it up on steam or go the 360 route. It ran OK on my rig, but not great. Wonder if there are any comparison screens impressions?

Anyone wanna help a brother out?[/quote]

What's your rig like? My PC has been unplugged since I moved and I was wondering if I should pick up the PC version. My CPU and motherboard is about 3 years old though.

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB (1GBx2 dual channel) PC-3200 RAM
eVGA nVidia 6800GT

I know my processor is old and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

[quote name='menikmati']What's your rig like? My PC has been unplugged since I moved and I was wondering if I should pick up the PC version. My CPU and motherboard is about 3 years old though.

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB (1GBx2 dual channel) PC-3200 RAM
eVGA nVidia 6800GT

I know my processor is old and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.[/quote]

You'll be fine. I run it on my computer with 1440x900 resoloution and the settings up rather high (with the exception of AA which is set on 2x i think and HDR which i keep off) and get between 30 and 90 frames depending on the map.

Athlon 64 3000+
1 Gig Ram
x1650xt

[quote name='thespamofpower']You'll be fine. I run it on my computer with 1440x900 resoloution and the settings up rather high (with the exception of AA which is set on 2x i think and HDR which i keep off) and get between 30 and 90 frames depending on the map.

Athlon 64 3000+
1 Gig Ram
x1650xt[/quote]

Thanks a lot, I was hoping that I didn't need a new CPU because I would need a new motherboard and all that shit.

Looks like I'm picking this up for the 360 definitely, but I may get the PC version since it's only $36.99+tax at Fry's this week.

[quote name='Scorch']Oh, that must be what the "In Stores 10/10/07" on the commcercials means.

Come on, guys. Ships from the vendors on the 9th. In stores on the 10th. Not that hard to figure out.[/QUOTE]
Calm down.

[quote name='Puffa469']It was released today, but Gamestop won't pay for overnight shipping, so they get most Tuesday releases on Wednesday.[/quote]

not true, Mang.

monday was Columbus day (WTF do we celebrate that for? because the europeans came over and raped the natives with small pox? AND Columbus didnt even know he was even in a new country, plus Lief Ericson[sp?] beat him by a couple hundred years)

and the mail doesnt come in on holidays (even the useless ones) so thats why.

You are correct good Sir, but what Ive said about them not paying for overnight is still true, so Gamestop probably wont have the Orange Box till Thursday.

[quote name='Pestilence']not true, Mang.

monday was Columbus day (WTF do we celebrate that for? because the europeans came over and raped the natives with small pox? AND Columbus didnt even know he was even in a new country, plus Lief Ericson[sp?] beat him by a couple hundred years)

and the mail doesnt come in on holidays (even the useless ones) so thats why.[/quote]

[quote name='Puffa469']You are correct good Sir, but what Ive said about them not paying for overnight is still true, so Gamestop probably wont have the Orange Box till Thursday.[/quote]

You were right the first time. The Columbus day holiday had no effect on this release. This game was released from the publisher on Tuesday and will be in stores Wednesday. It was not scheduled to be in stores Tuesday. Only street dated games (big releases, movie-game releases, etc) are released on Tuesdays. HL2 OB is not street dated.

There was a similar situation with San Andreas. If anyone remembers the launch of that, it was shipped out from vendors Tuesday. Gamestop paid for same day shipping, so stores got it in that Tuesday night. Same deal with Gears of War. Gamestop paid for same day shipping and they got it that night.. however, GameCrazy managers personally went to the airport to get Gears to bring back to their store. This gave GameCrazy a four to five hour windows where they had Gears and GS did not yet. It was a major success, I can't really tell you how many customers came in and said "Man, I can't believe you guys already have it, Gamestop doesn't even have it yet!".

[quote name='Puffa469']You are correct good Sir, but what Ive said about them not paying for overnight is still true, so Gamestop probably wont have the Orange Box till Thursday.[/quote]

Our computers lists everything shipping in for the next day, and i saw it listed on there too.

I have a pc and a 360 I can't decide which to get, however I'm leaning towards pc becuase thats how FPS are meant to be played.

My PC
3.4ghz 1mb L2 Cache
2gb Ram
Geforce 6800 256mb....

360 or PC, 360 or PC that is the question....

[quote name='Puffa469']It was released today, but Gamestop won't pay for overnight shipping, so they get most Tuesday releases on Wednesday.[/quote]
I talked to a guy at EBStop recently saying that they never seem to get games in on Tuesday like they use to. He said that since GS and EB merged there is no competition to drive them to get it in on Tuesday. It makes sense, at least in my area because the only other locations are Best Buy and Target, both of which seem to get the games in on Thursdays.

bread's done
Back