The Others blu-ray $5.49 @ Amazon

I feel like this film's popularity/legacy has inexplicably taken a huge nosedive in recent years, to the point where I can actually now call it one of the most underrated films of the past decade. Nobody talks about it anymore. I know The Sixth Sense--to which The Others will likely always be compared because of proximity--has always been the better known and celebrated film, but it's unfortunate that history only seems to allow one such film to endure.

[quote name='rapsodist']I feel like this film's popularity/legacy has inexplicably taken a huge nosedive in recent years, to the point where I can actually now call it one of the most underrated films of the past decade. Nobody talks about it anymore. I know The Sixth Sense--to which The Others will likely always be compared because of proximity--has always been the better known and celebrated film, but it's unfortunate that history only seems to allow one such film to endure.[/QUOTE]

That's fascinating to me. I really enjoy both films. I'll have to watch them both again and see which one resonates with me more today. I saw both the others and the sixth sense at the theater when I was a little kid. I haven't re-watched either one for a few years. But I remember the 6th sense blew my freakin' mind when I was a little kid.

I bet niether of these movies would be as popular today in the twitter age as they were when they were released. If they were released today, I bet someone would have blabbed the endings to me on facebook or twitter or something before I even got to the theater. The filmmakers would have to be super super secret with the plot like Chris Nolan was with Inception before it was released. But after opening weekend, everyone on the blogosphere would know the twist endings to Sixth Sense/Others.

[quote name='gar3']Darn, missed it. Back up to $10.99.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that was fast. I changed the thread title. I would check that $5 Target price someone mentioned if you're still interested

[quote name='rapsodist']I feel like this film's popularity/legacy has inexplicably taken a huge nosedive in recent years, to the point where I can actually now call it one of the most underrated films of the past decade. Nobody talks about it anymore. I know The Sixth Sense--to which The Others will likely always be compared because of proximity--has always been the better known and celebrated film, but it's unfortunate that history only seems to allow one such film to endure.[/QUOTE]

It feels like a spiritual sequel to the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

Oh shit! I'm thinking of "The Strangers"..!

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I bet niether of these movies would be as popular today in the twitter age as they were when they were released. If they were released today, I bet someone would have blabbed the endings to me on facebook or twitter or something before I even got to the theater. The filmmakers would have to be super super secret with the plot like Chris Nolan was with Inception before it was released. But after opening weekend, everyone on the blogosphere would know the twist endings to Sixth Sense/Others.[/QUOTE]
I don't know...with the popularity of Sixth Sense, almost everyone knew the ending within the first couple of months even though social networking wasn't nearly as popular back then. And despite the popularity of Inception, I still have no idea what happens in the movie. I think it all just depends on the movie and whether or not your friends are assholes who want to spoil everything.

woo thought I missed out on this the first time around. Picked it up! Thanks OP. This was an awesome movie back in the day and for $6, who am I to say no? =D

[quote name='Arakias']Its on netflix too, i'll try and catch it there though the Amazon price is great.[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah, even better. There isn't a humongous difference between Netflix HD streaming and Blu-ray on my busted piece of crap 1080i TV.

bread's done
Back