The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='Jest']SLinks are my main prerogative but before every full moon I need to get to the next blockade in Tartarus. [/QUOTE]

Why is that? (Or don't tell me if it's a spoiler)

The night before a full moon you don't get tired so you can do all of your leveling in one night. (I think in fes they made it so you can get tired, but your characters still stay to fight). Basically it prevents you from trapping yourself because the last time you can save is always before the night before the full moon so you can always go in and level indefinitely till you can beat the next story boss.

The most efficient method is to just do that and spend the rest of your time on S Links first and raising stats second, but on a first playthrough you won't max all S, links anyway, so just have fun.

[quote name='happy']The night before a full moon you don't get tired so you can do all of your leveling in one night. (I think in fes they made it so you can get tired, but your characters still stay to fight). Basically it prevents you from trapping yourself because the last time you can save is always before the night before the full moon so you can always go in and level indefinitely till you can beat the next story boss.

The most efficient method is to just do that and spend the rest of your time on S Links first and raising stats second, but on a first playthrough you won't max all S, links anyway, so just have fun.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do get tired in FES. The very last night of the game though they never get tired.

[quote name='Backlash']Why is that? (Or don't tell me if it's a spoiler)[/quote]

Cause I am nuts. I really like completing Elizabeth's quests. A lot of them end the night of a full moon, so I always get the items from the purple guys, try to find the katana, and grab the old document.

I just started playing this yesterday, and I'm like 10 hours in. I'm really enjoying the whole school life aspect of the game, but I feel they just don't give you enough time during the day. It's like you have to use a walkthrough if you want to get all the social links and charm/academics/courage to 100%.
Were the previous Persona games anything like this, or were they more standard?

I agree ChibiJosh I got this game Friday and I am enjoying it a lot. I am trying not to use a walkthrough though because that's what i do with most games.

A walk through isn't really necessary and it takes from a lot of the fun of the game! Be friends with who you like. You don't have to use every type of Persona. I'd say the only person you should try to level the Slink of the fastest is Kenji. Magician arcana are too good.

[quote name='Jest']A walk through isn't really necessary and it takes from a lot of the fun of the game! Be friends with who you like. You don't have to use every type of Persona. I'd say the only person you should try to level the Slink of the fastest is Kenji. Magician arcana are too good.[/quote]I just love the Jack Brother's they look awesome and they pack a punch.

[quote name='Jest']Yes. You won't level any other way. Bosses will fuck you up.[/quote]

Well, I meant for story purposes rather than leveling.

Also, I just got my arcana card turned down because I declined a persons offer how do I get back that S link and will it continue from where it was or start over.
Sorry for all these questions still pretty behind in the game (after you save Fuuka and Mitsuru becomes playable)

you just keep hanging out with them and rebuilding ur relationship with them and the slink should reverse back. also, it'll continue where it starts off so your okay.

2 things. First off when it comes to S.Links you might want to check gamefaqs. There is a guide on s.links that tells you each and every response and how it effects the relationship. They work on a factor where you can damage relationships or get huge leaps in the S.Links so its pretty usefull. The Persona 3 guide is also really great having every S.Link, how you get it and the best responses listed in an S.Link section.

Second on weapons. It really depends. First and most important is what you hit the monsters with to initiate the fight the best. I used a 1 handed sword most of the game because I found I could hit the enemy before they hit me very easily with it, yet I didnt loose a bunch of power in the process. I tried using a 2H sword and Club for awhile.....but fast found myself switching to a bow and then ultimatly sticking with 1HSword the rest of the game because how often I found that the enemies would get the jump on me because I swung too slow.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I accidentally neglected some requests and now their closed will I ever be able to them again?[/QUOTE]

Someone already answered you in the other topic. Yes they will reopen. However with the time you have wasted you will probally never be able to complete every S.Link on one play through. Dont worry too much though its REALLY difficult to complete every S.Link in one go. On the bright side there is a new game + mode that will make it easier.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Someone already answered you in the other topic. Yes they will reopen. However with the time you have wasted you will probally never be able to complete every S.Link on one play through. Dont worry too much though its REALLY difficult to complete every S.Link in one go. On the bright side there is a new game + mode that will make it easier.[/quote]
Which topic? Also, I don't really care if I don't complete everything I could always just paly again because this game is just that amazing.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Which topic? Also, I don't really care if I don't complete everything I could always just paly again because this game is just that amazing.[/QUOTE]

Your topic. Glad your enjoying the game so much. As I said there is a new game + where the main charcter keeps all his personas, his level and equipment but the other charcters loose everything. If you complete every S.Link then you can get a mask that lets you summon a special persona.

I played this damn game until 6am, and loved every minute of it. I'm like 30 hours in, and only 3 months have passed in game. This is getting insane.

And, is it just me or is it impossible to raise academics? I had charm and courage maxed before academics was level 4, and even now it's only level 5.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I played this damn game until 6am, and loved every minute of it. I'm like 30 hours in, and only 3 months have passed in game. This is getting insane.

And, is it just me or is it impossible to raise academics? I had charm and courage maxed before academics was level 4, and even now it's only level 5.[/QUOTE]

Acedemics is much harder to raise. I maxed my courage and charm MONTHS before I maxed my acedemics.

Make sure you study every night you aren't tired to raise academics. It doesn't need to be the highest level until relatively late in the game
so you can date Mitsuru :drool:

I just can't wait for Persona 4 now I'm 2X hours into this game. Dam ChibiJosh, your farer than me and I got it earlier. happy, you made me want to raise my academics.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I just can't wait for Persona 4 now I'm 2X hours into this game. Dam ChibiJosh, your farer than me and I got it earlier. happy, you made me want to raise my academics.[/QUOTE]

Ya its not till like November or some other REALLY late month that it happans though so dont worry too much about it. S.Link after school, then go out and raise either charm, courage or acedemics(only available at arcade on certain nights)at the mall and when it takes you back to your dorm study then repeat the processes.

hi i wanted to buy persona 3, but is Persona 3: FES the same game with additional content? i am confused if they are two completely different games.

please help clarify.

Yup, You're right. Its the same exact game with more content. It also features the game's "real" ending. I believe it has some tweaks to it so it'd be a better experience. I suggest getting whichever version is available cause it is a great JRPG.

[quote name='ryanredzie']Yup, You're right. Its the same exact game with more content. It also features the game's "real" ending. I believe it has some tweaks to it so it'd be a better experience. I suggest getting whichever version is available cause it is a great JRPG.[/quote]
Game wise, the FES version is definitely better.

Packaging wise, the original version has a hardcover artbook and soundtrack CD if you're into those things.

I just bought this game kind of blindly, I went to Best Buy for Soul Calibur IV but decided I didn't want to spend $60. In the past 12 months I've only bought three games: GTA IV, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and now this. It better be good...

Edit: I think I'm in love.

About 3 hrs in. Not too sure how I feel about the whole time thing, having to pick and choose what I work on. In RPGs I like the freedom to level grind as I see fit, or rush through a story fighting hard bosses. Every time I make a decision (such as staying awake/resting in class, or what I do after school) I feel like I'm lowering the ceiling on growth in some way. For example, if I rest in class I feel like I'm limiting social growth, but if I stay awake I'm limiting physical growth... I prefer more free-form gameplay where you're able to grind as much as you want to grow as much as you want.

I love the simplicity of the combat and rewarding Persona system though -- the dungeon crawls reminds me a bit of Evolution (which is a good thing). I wish I could go for a romp in the dungeons whenever I wanted, for however long I wanted -- the same goes for the social stuff, I'd prefer if I could do it all without the one-year limitation and without the tired/rest/time limitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Koggit'] In RPGs I like the freedom to level grind as I see fit, or rush through a story fighting hard bosses. Every time I make a decision (such as staying awake/resting in class, or what I do after school) I feel like I'm lowering the ceiling on growth in some way. For example, if I rest in class I feel like I'm limiting social growth, but if I stay awake I'm limiting physical growth... I prefer more free-form gameplay where you're able to grind as much as you want to grow as much as you want.

I wish I could go for a romp in the dungeons whenever I wanted, for however long I wanted -- the same goes for the social stuff, I'd prefer if I could do it all without the one-year limitation and without the tired/rest/time limitation.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel, but that's what makes this game so interesting (to me, at least). Probably also gives it more replay value.

[quote name='Koggit']I just bought this game kind of blindly, I went to Best Buy for Soul Calibur IV but decided I didn't want to spend $60. In the past 12 months I've only bought three games: GTA IV, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and now this. It better be good...

Edit: I think I'm in love.

About 3 hrs in. Not too sure how I feel about the whole time thing, having to pick and choose what I work on. In RPGs I like the freedom to level grind as I see fit, or rush through a story fighting hard bosses. Every time I make a decision (such as staying awake/resting in class, or what I do after school) I feel like I'm lowering the ceiling on growth in some way. For example, if I rest in class I feel like I'm limiting social growth, but if I stay awake I'm limiting physical growth... I prefer more free-form gameplay where you're able to grind as much as you want to grow as much as you want.

I love the simplicity of the combat and rewarding Persona system though -- the dungeon crawls reminds me a bit of Evolution (which is a good thing). I wish I could go for a romp in the dungeons whenever I wanted, for however long I wanted -- the same goes for the social stuff, I'd prefer if I could do it all without the one-year limitation and without the tired/rest/time limitation.[/QUOTE]

First off I wish everyone had this happen. Never heard of it and just happen to spot it in store and pick it up. Would be so freaking great! Also as for the time thing I HATED it at first but over time I grew to like it alot. The only thing I didnt like is that you cant count on stuff being there because of how many school holidays, breaks and vacations there are. Really drove me up the wall, especially since I had managed to max most of my stats early on(stupidly focused on them over S. Links).

[quote name='Koggit']

I love the simplicity of the combat and rewarding Persona system though -- the dungeon crawls reminds me a bit of Evolution (which is a good thing). I wish I could go for a romp in the dungeons whenever I wanted, for however long I wanted -- the same goes for the social stuff, I'd prefer if I could do it all without the one-year limitation and without the tired/rest/time limitation.[/quote]

Things get better. You should be able to max out your academic, courage, and charm relatively quickly and then you can rest in class and such all you want. Plus the farther you get, the longer you'll be able to stay in the dungeon without getting tired. In the beginning, I'd only be able to get up 1 or 2 floors, now I go up 10 or 20, and I don't stop because I get tired, I just stop because I feel I've been in there too long.

I'm like 52 hours in, I've maxed all the stats, I'm around lvl 140 in the dungeon, and I've maxed like 6 or 7 S.Links. I'm starting to feel that it might be reasonable to max all the S.Links before I beat it.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Things get better. You should be able to max out your academic, courage, and charm relatively quickly and then you can rest in class and such all you want. Plus the farther you get, the longer you'll be able to stay in the dungeon without getting tired. In the beginning, I'd only be able to get up 1 or 2 floors, now I go up 10 or 20, and I don't stop because I get tired, I just stop because I feel I've been in there too long.

I'm like 52 hours in, I've maxed all the stats, I'm around lvl 140 in the dungeon, and I've maxed like 6 or 7 S.Links. I'm starting to feel that it might be reasonable to max all the S.Links before I beat it.[/QUOTE]

Like I said dont focus on maxing your stats early on, if you do you will never beat the game with max S.Links. And Chibi good luck on maxing those S.Links. there are a few surprise S.Links late in the game and also a few surprise events which can take a week or more of your time from S.Link dedication away, also several weeks where certain characters become unavailable.

I read a couple GameFaqs guides and it sounds impossible to max all S.Links on your first play through unless you use a guide. I seriously, seriously doubt anybody would be lucky enough to have all the proper personas (for boosts) by the deadline days, choose all the proper paths and all the ideal responses on luck alone. There's just no way. And then maxing courage by a certain day to be able to eat that whore's cooking... etc, etc. There's just too many arbitrary decisions that can't really be foreseen.

I'm just going to play however I see fit, and then go with a New Game+ if I feel the need to max social links (which I doubt will happen).

[quote name='Koggit']I read a couple GameFaqs guides and it sounds impossible to max all S.Links on your first play through unless you use a guide. I seriously, seriously doubt anybody would be lucky enough to have all the proper personas (for boosts) by the deadline days, choose all the proper paths and all the ideal responses on luck alone. There's just no way. And then maxing courage by a certain day to be able to eat that whore's cooking... etc, etc. There's just too many arbitrary decisions that can't really be foreseen.

I'm just going to play however I see fit, and then go with a New Game+ if I feel the need to max social links (which I doubt will happen).[/QUOTE]

Good idea, it does require playing through with a guide to get them all. i used a guide for the second half of the agme and still came up short by like 4 S.Links.

This is by far the best RPG I've played in years, story wise, probably coming close to the earlier Suikoden games and the likes of Final Fantasy VI. If theres any game that has a better story/overall RPG feel on the PS2 I need to know now. The battle system is pretty good to boot. Whats really underated is the velvet room and the aspect of creating Personas. Although I'll never create all the personas It's nice to have almost endless options for creating them. Either way I'd say this is the best RPG on the PS2, which may or may not be topped by Persona 4. If I'm wrong someone needs to throw out other RPGs that are better then this so I can get a idea. I haven't finished a lot of PS2 RPGs but I've played a majority of them, with the exception of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne which I plan on playing next to finalize my decision.

But for the first time I have to whine like a bitch, and this came right at the end.

Was it really necessary to have me fight the final boss for over one hour only to lose? Yikes, that was harsh. My characters were in the low 70's to. It looks like I'm going to have to beat the reaper and get my characters to near 90 with the optional dungeon. I would say this game would be easily beatable under 50 hours, but the last boss has turned this into a grind fest and 70+ is turning into a pretty realistic goal.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']This is by far the best RPG I've played in years, story wise, probably coming close to the earlier Suikoden games and the likes of Final Fantasy VI. If theres any game that has a better story/overall RPG feel on the PS2 I need to know now. The battle system is pretty good to boot. Whats really underated is the velvet room and the aspect of creating Personas. Although I'll never create all the personas It's nice to have almost endless options for creating them. Either way I'd say this is the best RPG on the PS2, which may or may not be topped by Persona 4. If I'm wrong someone needs to throw out other RPGs that are better then this so I can get a idea. I haven't finished a lot of PS2 RPGs but I've played a majority of them, with the exception of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne which I plan on playing next to finalize my decision.

But for the first time I have to whine like a bitch, and this came right at the end.

Was it really necessary to have me fight the final boss for over one hour only to lose? Yikes, that was harsh. My characters were in the low 70's to. It looks like I'm going to have to beat the reaper and get my characters to near 90 with the optional dungeon. I would say this game would be easily beatable under 50 hours, but the last boss has turned this into a grind fest and 70+ is turning into a pretty realistic goal.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree that the velvet room makes the game absoultly amazing, especially now that S.Links power Personas up. And I liked the story alot, but I think the characters made the game more then the story. I think there are plenty of games like FFX and Shadow Hearts Cov with deeper and better stories, but Persona's charcters were full of life and had alot of development which made you want to keep playing.

On the spoiler front
I compltly agree. I am all for a challange, but its insane to make a battle take an hour and a half and have somethign as unpredictable as the stupid move that hits for half your freaking life if your not over leveled + can hit you with stuff like charm!

Just beat the Journey and about to start the Answer. It was worth $30 just for the hermit social link and ending. LMAONADE!!111 >_

hahaha, i'm having trouble with the answer right now, it feels pretty monotonous, and without the compendium, it makes fusions a bitch too...gd it, i might just stop and play eden/xenosaga 3 til i get back into the mood

[quote name='Monsta Mack']This is by far the best RPG I've played in years, story wise, probably coming close to the earlier Suikoden games and the likes of Final Fantasy VI. If theres any game that has a better story/overall RPG feel on the PS2 I need to know now. The battle system is pretty good to boot. Whats really underated is the velvet room and the aspect of creating Personas. Although I'll never create all the personas It's nice to have almost endless options for creating them. Either way I'd say this is the best RPG on the PS2, which may or may not be topped by Persona 4. If I'm wrong someone needs to throw out other RPGs that are better then this so I can get a idea. I haven't finished a lot of PS2 RPGs but I've played a majority of them, with the exception of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne which I plan on playing next to finalize my decision.

[/quote]

Well it won't take long to gain another 10 levels in the dungeon but its really based off Persona. I'd suggest using up all your gems and buying more stat upgrades for persona if you havent already.

Also in FES i am just beefing up my persona for another round of fusions and then its off to steam roll thru next boss. Think I have 2 doors left and am around 70. For some reason I can never seem to get a decent persona with lightning skills which is kinda funny. Just the way the fusion has worked out for me. Got 2 persona with Garudyne, Agidyne, Bufudyne, and a mix of other skills so havent been having many problems.

Got to level Alice up to get Die for Me and figuire out what I want to move that too. Possibly Thanatos like I did in Persona 3.

I know a guy in my local gamestop that is in love with this game and played all the persona games. I am a rpg gamer but all i play now is shooters on the 360 :( so i went and brought a PS2 so i can get back to my roots. so he told about this game and i was unsure at first. One day i decided to get it and my unsurity about this game went away, i was captured by the music, i love this game. Yes i agree on the part that 30 days to the moon comes up and the story continues and the rest/tired/sick thing but it does bother me from loving this game

[quote name='GuruuShah']i was captured by the music, i love this game. [/quote]

You will hate the music by the end of it. 160 hours and counting... I've probably heard the P3 music more than any album I own.

"Real" ending? Dammit. I'm not playing FES because I'm almost done with original release. I'm spending all this time and I'm not even getting the real ending?

God, this describes JRPGs to T. Screw you AND your journal, Jiminey.

(I did buy FES to play the expansion when I'm done with the original but there's no way I'm going to re-play the main game any time soon.)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think you can load up a regular Persona 3 save in FES... no?[/quote]

Not quite, you can carry over personas and other stuff but i dont think you start from the same place you saved at

bread's done
Back