The Playstation Phone -- Photos Leaked?

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
From Engadget.com (Follow the link for more pictures)

[quote name='Engadget.com']It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed![/QUOTE]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This looks pretty interesting and plausible given the picture system's similarity to the PSPGo form factor.

Personally, I hope they sell it as a non-phone version as well because I'm very happy w/ my HTC EVO and don't want to switch carriers just to play the next gen PSP.

Ugh, I hope they make one that is not a phone. I don't have an iPhone because I don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract (with a mandatory data plan). I hope they have their own non-phone edition like the iPod touch.

[quote name='Scorch']...is that dual touch support?[/QUOTE]

Yep. According to the article from Joystiq.com, this is how they interpret it...

The big, rounded rectangle in the middle is reportedly a touch-sensitive strip capable of mimicking dual-analog input.

A couple thoughts before going to bed...
1) Sega is making Valkyria Chronicles 3 for the PSP (Much to the chargin of the fanbase) and ready to release it in Japan as early as next year precisely because the new PSP is coming out. They want to use the engine they developed at least one more time before moving onto the new PSP.
2) According to Joystiq.com, Ready at Dawn (developers of the God of War games on the PSP) said they will be no longer developing games for the PSP and rather focusing on new IPs for a different system. Given their history of success with the PSP, who wants to bet they're a key developer for the new PSP?

Very interesting. If the touch sensor with the dual analog sticks works (i'm definately going to try this first before getting) then it could be a huge leap forward.

Sony just needs to confirm what the hell their plan is. Hearing "We do not comment on rumors and speculation" doesn't work. WE need to know, is this the PSP2, is the PSP Phone the only new system coming up, or are they giving us both (never know with Sony).

[quote name='jh6269']Ugh, I hope they make one that is not a phone. I don't have an iPhone because I don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract (with a mandatory data plan). I hope they have their own non-phone edition like the iPod touch.[/QUOTE]

dude, take out the phone and this is a PSP Go, you can have that now for $200..

I'm really excited about this and hope it comes to T-Mobile. If this also comes out by the end of the year on multiple carriers, I don't think Windows Phone 7 stands a chance..which kinda makes me sad. Was really looking forward to that and the XBL features..

[quote name='token2k6']dude, take out the phone and this is a PSP Go, you can have that now for $200..

I'm really excited about this and hope it comes to T-Mobile. If this also comes out by the end of the year on multiple carriers, I don't think Windows Phone 7 stands a chance..which kinda makes me sad. Was really looking forward to that and the XBL features..[/QUOTE]

Were the specs the same as the PSP Go? I thought it was like the next version of the PSP. Anyway, I may buy it for use as a phone, but have the next PSP as well (whenever that comes out). From one article at Kotaku (not that they're really trustworthy as a news source or anything), they were implying that this is going to be a separate unit than the next PSP (that is if either one exists).

http://kotaku.com/5674144/the-playstation-phone-is-here--its-not-pretty

[quote name='kotaku.com']
Sony has finally done it. They've mated a Sony Ericsson cell phone with a PSP, spawning this... the PlayStation Phone. Don't call it the PSP2, please. That's something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

@jh6269: yes, I totally agree, this device will have the phone capabilities, and a true PSP-2 will come out down the line. They were talking about that PSP2 having touch controls on the back and an HD capable screen.

I was just saying, if you like the form factor of this 'phone' so much, then yes, it basically is just a Go. I think you'd have plenty of fun with that if you wanted to mimic an iPod touch experience. the Go is great for whipping it out and listening to a few MP3's or watching movies (you can download from TPB already formatted an ready to go onto the device ;) ) The battery lasts at least week with moderate use..I also don't see why owning the Go and maybe the PSP-2 would be out of the question. They are/will be fantastic devices!

[quote name='token2k6']@jh6269: yes, I totally agree, this device will have the phone capabilities, and a true PSP-2 will come out down the line. They were talking about that PSP2 having touch controls on the back and an HD capable screen.

I was just saying, if you like the form factor of this 'phone' so much, then yes, it basically is just a Go. I think you'd have plenty of fun with that if you wanted to mimic an iPod touch experience. the Go is great for whipping it out and listening to a few MP3's or watching movies (you can download from TPB already formatted an ready to go onto the device ;) ) The battery lasts at least week with moderate use..I also don't see why owning the Go and maybe the PSP-2 would be out of the question. They are/will be fantastic devices![/QUOTE]

I know, I know, I was totally torn when the Go came out. It was just too expensive, and when I learned that not all games were coming out digitally (Like some big name titles like Kingdom Hearts, etc) it made me take the wait and see approach.

Now, that the God of War Limited edition 3000 bundle is coming out for $199 (same price as the Go), but it has all that extra crap included w/it. The deal was just too good to pass up (I'm using Amazon Credit, so it will come to $179; then, I may use CC points to pay off the rest of it). So, I got the 3000 (it comes out next week), and I'll have that and the PSP2 as well, I suppose. Which is OK, because the next iteration probably won't have UMD, so I'll have the 3000 to be able to play any PSP game that ever came out. I never owned a PSP before, so there are a ton of games I need to consider now.

bread's done
Back