the price gouged and OOS 8800gt - Retailer mega link in OP

I just read that manufacturers will be releasing 256MB versions at around $200... so if you don't need the extra VRAM, just wait a few weeks

In the coming weeks (3 - 4) should I expect prices to go up, down, or remain the same?

I plan to build at the end of November.

You should check if its elegible for the stepup program. Not all bundled cards are, but some are.

[quote name='majorscud']I bought the plain jane evga from frys.com. Upgrading from the 8400gs that was pre-installed in my new PC. I cant wait![/quote]

What does everyone think would be my best course of action:

ASUS P5ND2-SLI Mobo
Pentium D 805 @ 2.67GHz
XFX GeForce 7900GT 256 MB
2GB RAM

Would it be worth it upgrade to this video card? I kinda want to look at a new motherboard + CPU pairing and new video card for the holidays, possibly black friday...what would anyone reccomend?

[quote name='guyver2077']the naming structure definitely sucks..

why would they give these cards names that are already out..

confusion chaos[/quote]
If you go by price then the names make sense.

GTX - $500
GTS - $300-$400
GT - $250

But the problem is that performance doesn't follow the same pattern.

GTX - Best
GTS - Great
GT - Better

Increasingthe power of the new GTS to better-than-GT levels could get the names back in line but there isn't much room in between the GT and the GTX so Nvidia would have to increase the performance of that card as well and then you could be looking at a very strange naming structure.

GTX2
GTS2
GT

As long as Nvidia doesn't come out with an 8800MX, I'll just buy the GT and be happy.

As a little aside... ordering a GT for myself, 2 copies of Hellgate CE and the strat. guide for it put my card over its 400USD daily limit.

My order for a personal copy of HG:L was cancelled. ARGH. STUPID CARD.

Just got my EVGA 8800GT KO and it's a killer. I can now play Crysis on high and smooth to boot. I'll get some FPS readings shortly, but suffice to say, this thing is a beast. Free Quake Wars to boot.

Wanted to wait for the new GTS, but this card sounded like it would be fine for me, and it is. If the new ones come out and are a good amount better, I'll use EVGA's step up program.

This card has torn through everything I've tried.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article22459.html

I've seen anywhere from 10,700 to almost 14,000 in 3dmark06. I'm downloading it now and I'll post my results soon.

This card has made a huge difference in some games. The Sega Rally Revo demo ran like ass on my X1800XT, but it hauls ass on the 8800GT. 60+ FPS.

This is my first Nvidia card. I've gone from a 9200 to 9800 Pro to X800XL to X1800XT and now 8800GT.

So, break this down for me. The 8800GT will work w/ a PCIE 1.1 mobo but might be bottlenecked on throughput and power draw?

I'm trying to pull the trigger on a new rig and can't tell if this card will work well.

mobo options:
Asus P5KPL-VM
Asus P5N-E SLI +$34
Asus P5N32-E SLI +172

[quote name='fmarxnge']Do you all think it's possible to get away with a 430 watt PSU with this?[/quote]

It's entirely possible. The truth is, most people waaaay overestimate how much power is needed to run their system (and even the video card manufacturers tend to pad their minimum power requirements). Don't get me wrong, it's never exactly a bad thing to err in the way of too much capacity, but don't feel it's at all necessary. I see recommendations for 700W or 1000W PSUs on some boards and it boggles the mind. 500W is more on the sane side, yet still with a very comfortable margin for most people.

To give you an example, you'd need to be running SLI 8800GTX cards, a Q6600 Core 2 Quad CPU, 4GB RAM and 2 HDD to actually use up all those 500 Watts.

Click on the link below and fill out the form with your system specs. It looks like a tedious list to fill out, but most of it is either easy stuff or stuff you won't have.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Chances are, if you have a typical system, your power draw is well below 430W. It's likely more in the 360W range (and that's even factoring in an 8800GTX instead of the 8800GT, which is a much more power efficient card).

The more important thing isn't total wattage as much as the rating on your 12V rails. Make sure you meet the amp requirements for the card and you should be set. (EVGA's top of the line 8800GT SSC recommends a 400W PSU with 22 Amps on the 12v rail for a single card; 450W and 24 Amps for SLI.)

[quote name='fmarxnge']Do you all think it's possible to get away with a 430 watt PSU with this?[/quote]

My EVGA 8800GT Superclocked has been great for 2 days on a 450 Corsair that I purchased less than a month ago.

Branding in this case is more important the the "wattage". My brother-in-law has a newish computer with a generic 600W PSU that's having a hard time with his 8800GT.

When building my machine, I knew that I was only going to put in a video card, at most 2 HD's, sound card and 1 optical drive (other than the Mobo). No, it's not future proof but you have be realistic about that. Personally, I am fine for a while, mabye even a long while.

Bose

[quote name='Boseafus']
Branding in this case is more important the the "wattage". [/quote]

The funny thing is, I've had one power supply blow on me and it was a nice Antec 350W (back when I had an Athlon XP) I replaced it with an Ultra 400W and I haven't had a single problem with it. It's still powering my old Athlon 64 3400+.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']RV670 vs. 8800GT HD Video Playback - CPU Usage charts

Interesting, yet utterly useless. Manufacturers including eVGA have stated that 8800GT is technically worse than a 8600 for video playback.

Plus, BRD and HD-DVD looks better on a large HDTV, not a monitor.

Still... if any of you care.[/quote]

wow that sucks... i use my addon with my pc.... was hoping the 8800gt would spank

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. This thing is sexy (EVGA superclocked) but I don't have the mobo or anything else to hook it up yet. I'll give you all an update if this thing beasts crysis.

[quote name='dragonsho']Just got mine in the mail yesterday. This thing is sexy (EVGA superclocked) but I don't have the mobo or anything else to hook it up yet. I'll give you all an update if this thing beasts crysis.[/quote] I get a stable 10-15 FPS on maxed settings with the stock 650MHz. I'm gonna try OC'ing my CPU, RAM, and GPU again and see if there's any noticeable difference. I just hope the thing doesn't fry up on me.

I was at best buy and saw they had the BFG OC model. It was kinda pricey at $279, but its there if anyone doesn't want to wait for the online retailers to get it in stock.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I get a stable 10-15 FPS on maxed settings with the stock 650MHz. I'm gonna try OC'ing my CPU, RAM, and GPU again and see if there's any noticeable difference. I just hope the thing doesn't fry up on me.[/quote]

Can you check how many frames you get at "High" settings @ 1280x1024 ? Thanks!

[quote name='level1online']Can you check how many frames you get at "High" settings @ 1280x1024 ? Thanks![/quote] My max res. is 1440x900 - everything on high w/ my CPU OC'ed to 2.8GHz and 4GB RAM I can get 30+ stable.

OK, I finally got around to running 3dmark06, and I got a score of 10771. Not as high as some of them out there.

My setup:

AMD Athlon FX-62 Dual Core Processor @ 3 GHz
2 GB Corsair XMS2 6400C4 DDR2 RAM @ 860 MHz 4-4-4-12
EVGA Nvidia 8800GT KO
MSI K9N Platinum motherboard
2 Western Digital 250 GB HDDs
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Netgear wireless G card
IO Magic 16x DVD burner
550w PSU
Antec 900 case
XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, Ubuntu 7.10

So no one else wastes their time, pretty much all of the links in this thread are dead and many merchants referenced in the links have jacked their prices up about $50 on average (and still don't have it in stock).

Just get it from Best Buy and use a 12% off coupon. A BFG 8800GT OC is $279.00 normally. AC it's $245.52 + tax.

Edit: Nevermind, just checked the stock in my area an they're all gone.

So much for the supposed $200-250 card. Everyone that has one is selling it for basically $300, assuming they have it in stock. I am looking for one so I can enjoy Crysis but the prices just ain't right.

MSRP on the card is about $250, people just jacked up the price due to demand =|. If you wait I'm sure they'll come down.

Additionally, the new GTS isn't worth waiting for. =(

[quote name='Eleo']So much for the supposed $200-250 card. Everyone that has one is selling it for basically $300, assuming they have it in stock. I am looking for one so I can enjoy Crysis but the prices just ain't right.[/quote]

do they come in on a regular basis? im willing to pick one up for 300, but everyone is out of stock :\

edit: any idea when the evga gt will be in stock?

Im just gonna get an ati 3870, its alot cheaper, and only around 7% slower(which can be fixed with overclocks).

fuck Nvidia and their control of the market.

bread's done
Back