The Rasterbator

Wet Ninja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
That's not a typo.

Has anyone heard of this? I discovered it the other night when looking at this eBay auction. Here's a description of the Rasterbator from its website:

The Rasterbator is a web service which creates huge, rasterized images from any picture. The rasterized images can be printed and assembled into extremely cool looking posters up to 20 meters in size.

It takes any image you upload to it and converts it into a PDF file of it blown up to the size you prefer. When you print it out, you can leave the borders on the pictures for a grid effect, or you can trim them off to make it solid. Here are some examples from the website, to give you an idea of what it can do.

3499.jpg

2689.jpg

757.jpg

127.jpg

There are a lot more pictures in the gallery on the website. Here's the link to the Rasterbator: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

This would be a great way to make posters for your game room. Imagine a wall-sized picture of your favorite video game character staring back at you. I'll have to try this out after I replace the ink cartridges in my printer. If any of you decide to make rasterized posters, take pictures and share them here.

[quote name='camoor']Very cool, but are we sure it's not a plot by HP. After all, they make 1/3 of their profits by selling ink. Yes, ink.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that...that question is answered in their FAQ:

Is there a conspiracy involving printer ink manufacturers behind The Rasterbator?

No. But of course, you cannot be sure. (Seriously: no.)

[quote name='Wet Ninja'][quote name='camoor']Very cool, but are we sure it's not a plot by HP. After all, they make 1/3 of their profits by selling ink. Yes, ink.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that...that question is answered in their FAQ:

Is there a conspiracy involving printer ink manufacturers behind The Rasterbator?

No. But of course, you cannot be sure. (Seriously: no.)
[/quote]

LOL I was kidding. However it should be a crime for HP to sell the printers so cheap and then make ink cartridges with microchip in the ink nozzle that are built to break so that you cannot refill them. Shoddy products in the name of greed - there needs to be a law against it.

bread's done
Back