The Return Of The Boondocks!

Awesome show. Its too bad this will be the final season though, I guess shows like Robot Chicken are more important. :whistle2:?

Better to go out on top than to stick around and slowly fizzle out, I guess.

The animation got a noticeable upgrade. It's looks brighter and sharper.

That dick-riding video is so catchy... Except that I really don't like autotune. I don't know why but it works for Will.i.am though. Maybe because it doesn't adjust pitch mid-word, like it does for other artists.

I will be recording this on my DVR cause I go to bed way to early for work to stay up to watch this. I guess I will watch it before I go to work.

return_of_stinkmeaner145.jpg

return_of_stinkmeaner110.jpg

I've been a big fan since I was flipping channels and recognized Mos Def's voice, then stuck around for the smartest look at hip hop culture anywhere. The part with Riley and Gangstalicious in the trunk of the part was brilliant -- it was a calm, honest moment about identity, role models ("the dude from the family movies? he was a gangsta rapper?"), and popular culture. This show is funny, direct, and insightful where so many other "serious" shows come up short. Sure, it can get over-the-top and crude sometimes, but they rarely miss.

Since the that episode, I've caught episodes as they're broadcast if I'm up late, but I've missed a lot. I'm going to use the summer to rewatch everything from front to back.

What exactly is the message behind this show? It's amusing but I feel like there's supposed to be some sort of deeper meaning that's never fully developed.

[quote name='davo1224']What exactly is the message behind this show? It's amusing but I feel like there's supposed to be some sort of deeper meaning that's never fully developed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the tone is definitely inconsistent.

At its best, it's a fearless critique of race and black culture. The look at black culture includes hip hop, which was part of the early appeal for me.

At its most mundane, it's run-of-the-mill sitcom stuff with a family lesson in the end, but the material usually comes with a fun twist (one of my favorites in this regard is the episode when Grandad's myspace girlfriend, a mentally unstable master of some kung fu, visits the house).

A lot of people compare it to Chapelle's Show. That comparison works at the surface -- shows produced by black writers/comedians that examine race in very frank terms -- but I think Chapelle went for some easy, quick laughs without a lot of context. As a result there was the concern that part of Chapelle's audience was laughing at the material for the wrong reasons.

Boondocks takes more time to set-up the material, so to me there's little concern for "bad" laughs. Plus, because it's sketch based, Chapelle's characterization is VERY broad, whereas Boondocks takes the time to really develop the main characters. Whether or not the set-up pays off is a question of how interesting the characters and subject matter (race, black culture, a little fish-out-of-water/family togetherness stuff) are to you.

Shit. I knew there was a reason I was supposed to watch Adult Swim last night. Dammit. Too late to catch episode 3 on tv as of now, but I can watch the rerun on Adult Swim's website at least(hopefully).

Too bad the Crazy Wolf Bitch lady blew herself up or it'd be interesting to see another appearance by her.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Shit. I knew there was a reason I was supposed to watch Adult Swim last night. Dammit. Too late to catch episode 3 on tv as of now, but I can watch the rerun on Adult Swim's website at least(hopefully).

Too bad the Crazy Wolf Bitch lady blew herself up or it'd be interesting to see another appearance by her.[/QUOTE]

It was awesome! Crazy Killer Kung-Fu Wolf Bitch is dead but
Stinkmeaner is back

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Just saw Episode 3. Outstanding and exactly what the season needed.[/QUOTE]
Maybe outstanding in terms of visuals, but there wasn't much going on otherwise in that episode. Huey's just another kid that's good at kickball -- there's nothing essentially "Huey" about his role in the episode. The same could be said for every regular character in that episode. It could just as easily be a "Family Ties" kickball episode.

So far season 3 has been really underwhelming for me. Seems like they were in a hurry to get "Dick Riding Obama" off their chest, and since then it's slow going. I mean, they managed to make a Soulja Boy parody boring. I really hope it picks up.

[quote name='dothog']Maybe outstanding in terms of visuals, but there wasn't much going on otherwise in that episode. Huey's just another kid that's good at kickball -- there's nothing essentially "Huey" about his role in the episode. The same could be said for every regular character in that episode. It could just as easily be a "Family Ties" kickball episode.

So far season 3 has been really underwhelming for me. Seems like they were in a hurry to get "Dick Riding Obama" off their chest, and since then it's slow going. I mean, they managed to make a Soulja Boy parody boring. I really hope it picks up.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the whole point of episode 3. The whole kickball game was a metaphor of American and Chinese relations. Wuncler said "We're Americans we don't quit because we're wrong we keep doing the wrong thing till it turns out right" LOL

bread's done
Back