The Road to TNA Victory Road VIII Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved Cena coming out with a throwback jersey and...the jorts... Cena's rap was pretty good, although it did lead to this build seeming like more of a retread since he did the same thing last year. Still, him doing this gimmick is worlds better than Cena the suckup. Sheamus-Dolph was the perfect match for Sheamus since Dolph took some wacky bumps for the big guy, including a crazy one off of a hiptoss over the top. Could've done without Bryan being interviewed DURING THE MATCH with them completely cutting away from the match. They had a tremendous near-fall spot to set up the Kryptonite Krunch, but I think Sheamus lost him on it because he just threw him down awkeardly and went for a cover. Thankfully, it wasn't the finish - Dolph taking a sweet bump for the Brogue kick was. This was a very fun match. Loved Aksana doing Santino's power walk before their tag match. Didn't so much like Santino and Otunga being named as captains for 'Mania, although it does make storyline sense given the closeness of each guy to their respective GM. Ace changed it to a handicap match with Henry and Otunga, which led to Teddy coming out, arguing, and it being impossible to pay attention tot he match. Henry killed Santino in a few seconds with the WSM. For some reason, Ace didn't make this a U.S. Title match even though it's his show. Loved Henry killing Truth and Kofi.

They plugged Extra, and Zack acted like a moron with Eve while Beth walked in looking awful in bright red lipstick. She wants a match with Maria Menousnos at 'Mania or something. Miz bitched at Ace, who told him he'd have to face Punk tonight. Until this, I'd forgotten that Punk was the WWE Champion. This mostly sucked except for the guy from Psych name-dropping the Fink. BRODUS IS BACK! YAY! He killed Jinder quickly, has new gear, and won with a splash instead of a cross body. HBK and Taker had their big promo exchange and it was underwhelming. HBK had a lot of homoerotic lines, 'Taker messed up the date of 'Mania AND got whatted again. Then HHH came out, stared, and had the segment end with his theme playing. This was several notches below last week's greatness.

Psych Guy came out to no reaction, cut a bad promo, and then ring announced. He did a bad parody of a ring announcer. Miz is well-manscaped according to him - so apparently he's now stolen Cody's gimmick from two years ago. That's a better gimmick than his present one of guy who loses a lot. This match with the WWE Champion that also determine Miz's future on the biggest show of the year was so important it needed a commercial break a minute into it. Cole called Cena's rap attitudinal once again, to both annoy and remind viewers that things were better and edgier in the past. Miz tapped to the vise after about five minutes of perfectly fine action. Then Jericho saved the show by saying he did research on Punk and debuted the whole "Punk's dad was a drunk" part of his character that WWE hasn't used and went into quite a bit of detail as to why it molded him into who he is - it really took this feud to a new, far more personal level. Loved the wacky lawyer parody video for Otunga - IF YOU HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT, YOU HAVE A LAWYER! Maybe he can team with Joseph Park Esq. to find Abyss.

Swagger and Orton had a match for some reason. Swagger, who spent last week losing twice to Santino on TV, got in quite a bit of offense on Orton and lasted quite a while with him. It was pretty decent, but seemed meaningless. And it wound up being the main event match on the show since the Rock's concert was up next. Loved the most electrifying man in all of entertainment coming out with an acoustic guitar. The Rock concert was amusing, but repetitive with him having about a dozen good lines amid a ton of CLEVELAND, WE DID THIS, WE DID THAT. Then he sang "We Will Rock You", but it was nearly impossible to hear due to terrible audio mixing. This dragged on way too long and Rock came off as behind the times referencing the Teletubbies. This had some good WM build, but wasn't a very good show as a whole.

Screens -

Quotes -
Cole - WE’RE GOING OLD SCHOOL WITH THE DOCTOR OF THUGANOMICS! KEEP UP WITH ALL OF TONIGHT’S ACTION ON TWITTER!
Cena - Rock wanted me to write his song but I’d never be his mouthpiece. He’s like LeBron James - he took his talents to South Beach. And for the past few weeks, he’s been legit pissed. If you get stuck singing your song tonight, it’s all in the wrist. Can we have a week where you don’t choke? You might be GI Joe this summer but now you’re a joke. Ever since I opened my mouth about you, you been begging me to back off, so if Rock and Dwayne are the same, you’re both jack offs. After April first, you’ll need surgery on your face just like you had it on your boobies. Those pecs have seen more action than a locker room of divas. Tonight I’ll give him a Cleveland steama. They weren’t chanting Rock last week, they were chanting Tooth Fairy. I’m mister kung pao chicken - you just Miami chicken shit. And no, I don’t have balls, but I got something in they place - I’ll beat you at ‘Mania and put my nuts dead in yo face!
Cole - WWE SOCIAL INTERACTION IS BLOWING UP WITH COMMENTS FROM THE WWE UNIVERSE!
Cole - It was ATTITUDINAL earlier.
Vickie - FINISH HIM!
Josh - Some of our fans felt like you were mean to AJ.
Bryan - I’d never say anything to upset AJ - and how dare anyone judge our relationship. WAS I RUDE TO YOU, HONEY!?
AJ - No…
Bryan - AJ loves me and the feeling is mutual.
Cole - I DON’T KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE WHAT WE SAW EARLIER OTHER THAN ATTITIDUINAL!
Zack - Are you playing me?
Eve - Zack, I’m not playing you - you’re playing yourself. Let’s be friends. With benefits.
HBK - In 3 weeks, HHH and the Undertaker will be locked inside Hell in a Cell at WM and it will truly be the end of an era. Last week, I told my good buddy that I’d been assigned the job of guest ref in that match and as best I could tell, that was info he wasn’t aware of. Strangely enough, I got some info I wasn’t aware of - let’s see it. So that’s the word on that street? The last couple weeks, I’ve walked around the locker room and NO ONE HAS CALLED ME A LOSER AND I ASSURE YOU NO ONE HAS IMPLIED THAT I COULDN’T GET THE JOB DONE! Now I will admit, there has been one person that’s been absent the last couple weeks. But thankfully, he’s here tonight. And we can get this out of the way. UNDERTAKER, LET’S SETTLE THIS! After everything we’ve been through - 20 plus years of sharing that locker room, granted, we sometimes sat at opposite ends, we had the utmost respect for each other. And the last two years of my career, we shared something that few men do. WE DID IT. But yet, you of all people, to say things behind my back at the very least I figured you’d have the guts to say it to my face.
Taker - Shawn, what is it you want me to say? That you’re a failure? A loser? Or is it that you couldn’t get the job done?! I think you need to stop and think - are you repeating my words or maybe just maybe you’re repeating the words chosen for me by your good friend HHH? Whatever the case may be, you need to let all of your insecurities…
HBK - MY INSECURITIES!? YOU’RE THE ONE WHO ASKED FOR THIS MATCH! HERE YOU SIT AT 19-0 AND YOU STILL FEEL LIKE YOU GOT SOMETHING TO PROVE. YOU’RE STILL THE ONE IN SEARCH OF VALIDATION - YA KNOW WHY? HHH BEAT YA WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LFE. THAT’S WHY LAST WEEK, I LOOKED AT HIM AND TOLD HIM I KNOW WHO’S GONNA WIN!
Taker - Ya know, Shawn, so it is. But I think you should know whatever happens at WM, whether I win or I should happen to lose, I’m prepared to accept the outcome, but what I’m not prepared to accept is you sticking your ego in this. Our 2 matches at WM, the match last year with HHH, IT’S ALL BEEN DESTINY AND ON APRIL 21ST, THAT DESTINY WILL HAPPEN. IT’LL BE THE END OF AN ERA! What can’t happen is for the outcome, win or lose, to not be pure. And if the outcome isn’t pure, I promise you, there will be hell to pay.
HBK - Ya know something? You call this destiny. I look at it as irony - isn’t it ironic that the guy who’s career you ended can quite possibly be the guy who counts your shoulders to the mat? ISN’T IT IRONIC THAT I’M THE GUY WHO COULD POSSIBLY TURN YOU INTO A LOSER! TURN YOU INTO A FAILURE AND SHOW YOU THAT YOU COULDN’T GET IT DONE. ISN’T IT IRONIC THAT I COULD STILL BE THE GUY TO END THE STREAK!?
Taker - I will beat HHH in the Cell. The streak will continue. And I will officially end an era. But if you don’t do the right thing, I’ll officially end you!
Cole - JOHN CENA KICKED THE NIGHT OFF WITH AN ATTITUDINAL RAP!
Jericho - CONTRATULATIONS ON THE WIN! Enjoy them while they last. You’re a fraud. I found out a dark secret about you. You’ve been straight edge since you came into WWE, but you never said why - YOU’RE STRAIGHT EDGE CUZ YOUR FATHER’S AN ALCOHOLIC! HE LET YOU DOWN EVERY STEP OF THE WAY AND IT TERRIFIES YOU! YOU DON’T WANNA END UP LIKE HIM, BUT YOU WILL! ALCOHOL’S IN YOUR BLOOD! You’ve built up a façade that you’re a rebellious anti-hero, but I found something that terrifies you. The nightmares you have about your father, it almost makes me feel bad for you. Did you need to pain of all those tattoos to dull the pain of your father? I’LL MAKE YOU DRINK! I’LL TAKE YOUR TITLE, YOUR CLAIM OF BEING THE BEST IN THE WORLD! YOU’LL HIT ROCK BOTTOM AND TAKE A DRINK! You’ll wanna take another one, and another one. After April first, I’ll be THE UNDISPUTED BEST IN THE WORLD AND NEW WWE CHAMPION! And you’ll be recognized for who you are and who your father was - A PATHETIC DAMN DRUNK!
Rock - FINALLY, THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO CLEVELAND! I want you to keep it going cuz the Rock is proud to come out before the Rock concert and tell you that you’ve broken a record. Tonight is the largest sellout crowd in the history of the WWE HERE IN CLEVELAND! THANK YOU! For that record, I appreciate you chanting Rocky, but you should chant Cleveland. Speaking of sellouts, anyone seen Marky Mark? John Cena, who came out here tonight. He had a chain and a lock and what does that even mean? That was funny - that wasn’t John Cena, the guy we know has gone around for 8 years looking like what would happen if Vanilla Ice banged a Teletubby! I guess he wanted some Tele-Tang. The thing on the left got frisky with the thing in the middle and out popped John Cena. This isn’t about a 2 minute rap, it’s about something special. It ain’t about a rap cuz everyone knows CLEVELAND ROCKS! Warden threw a party, spent some buckx, didn’t invite Cena cuz he sucks! KNOW YA ROLE JABRONI AND SHUT YA MOUTH! EVERYBODY LET’S ROCK! CENA’S GOT A MENSTRUAL CLOCK BUT WE’RE DANCING CUZ CLEVELAND ROCKS! LITTLE FRUITY BEBBLE FROM CLEVELAND MASS, ROCK’LL TAKE HIS BOOT AND SHOVE IT UP HIS ASS! YOU’RE ALL GLAD YOU’RE LISTENING TO ME AND NOT SOME GOOFY EMINEM WANNABE! AIN’T NO BALLS IN CENA’S JOCK, BUT WE’RE DANCING CUZ CLEVELAND ROCKS! Thank you! Thank you! Ya wanna hear a true story? The Rock’s got the inside scoop from Cena’s doctor. Little Johnny Cena went to the doc, Rock punched his jaw and the pain wouldn’t stop, Doc said Cena ya know I’m a fan, but please stop begging for that rectal exam. Cena close up that smock, but we’re dancing cuz Cleveland rocks. All right! Let the Rock ask ya? Wanna hear some gossip? It’s a true story about Cena and Eve! You didn’t see it on Raw, but the Rock it. Rock saw Cena making out with Eve, grabbing her thigh and tugging on her weave. Cena was having the time of his life, guess he didn’t tell her he had a wife. Divorce lawyer’s right up the block, but we’re dancing cuz Cleveland rocks! I guess it slipped his mind while he was slipping her the tongue. I got a ditty about the day Cena was born. True story - these are all true. April 23rd, 1977, the doctor shouted out send that baby back to Heaven, check these charts, LITTLE JOHNNY CENA’S GOT LADY PARTS! Little Johnny’s got them lady parts, but we’re dancing cuz Cleveland rocks. Thank you! Thank you. I told you we’d have fun tonight. Ya know, just out of curiosity, are there any grown men here tonight? REAL MEN! Any who are Cena fans? WOW! No one! WE GOT ONE!? There’s another, okay. Listen. I’m not gonna mess with ya - it’s hard enough being you. Actually, let the Rock ask the people - should I mess with them? Okay. This song’s for you. Doesn’t really matter how hard you try, never in your life will you ever taste pie. You like Chewbacca and Frodo and you’re a walking virgin and 42. You dress like Kirk and Spock, but we’re dancing cuz Cleveland rocks! Where are the ladies in the house tonight? We got a special connection - I love the ladies, but um there’s a special lady I wanna sing a song to. She’s at home watching, this song is for you baby. Rock’ll see ya tonight. Rock’s getting some wine and a dozen roses, she’s gonna meet my Holy Moses, getting with the Rock is the bomb, don’t believe me, ask Cena’s mom. Let’s rock, Cena’s mom can barely walk, but we’re dancing cuz Cleveland rocks! Cena’s mom can barely walk, but we’re dancing cuz Cleveland rocks! That’s what I’m talking about. But there’s only one way to end this night. There’s only one way to end the Rock concert - only one song, this song is for the people. This song is for Team Bring It. THIS SONG IS FOR THE MILLIONS! OF THE ROCK’S FANS WHO STAND SIDE BY SIDE AND SUPPORT THE JABRONI-BEATING, PIE EATING, TRAILBLAZING, ROCK CAME BACK TO SCRATCH AN ITCH AND MAKE CENA HIS BITCH! Rock ain’t singing this, WE’RE ALL SINGING THIS SONG AND IT GOES LIKE THIS! MAKE A BIG NOISE! SLAP THE LIPS OFF YA FACE, WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU! CENA SUCKS! CENA YOU’RE A JOKE WITH YOUR THREE MOVES! GONNA RISE ABOVE THE HATE, ME KICKING YOUR ASS IS YOUR FATE! TEAM BRING IT WORLDWIDE TAKING OVER THIS PLACE! CLEVELAND, WE BROKE A RECORD! THANK YOU, TEAM BRING IT WORLDWIDE!

That Rock Concert was getting to a salvageable area until the sing-along portion.

Meanwhile, I marked out for Thuganomics Cena, and I have absolutely no shame in admitting it.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']That Rock Concert was getting to a salvageable area until the sing-along portion.

Meanwhile, I marked out for Thuganomics Cena, and I have absolutely no shame in admitting it.[/QUOTE]

As did I. You should have seen the looks on my roommate's faces during that segment. I was going nuts.

I'm with ya guys. The Rock had his moments in the 20-minute sing-along, but it become cringe-worthy towards the end.

On the flip side, John Cena got real dirty mentioning Rock's breast reduction, and straight-up murdered Rock's image in the span of three minutes.

Cena has been burying The Rock like Triple H did to everyone in the early-2000s. I wonder if those two are legit pissed at each other.

[quote name='JJSP']WWE has reportedly signed Dragon Gate and ROH wrestler Brodie Lee to a developmental deal.[/QUOTE]

I read that was confirmed to be false.

Confirmed to be false? Maybe it's because it's 2AM and I'm not feeling the best, but that just sounds like a weird sentence.

I think this Rock/Cena build is among the best showcases for why the WWE product today doesn't work. It's clear they're trying to tap dance their asses off in hopes of pandering to us to buy their product (Wrestlemania).

But somehow along the way, they lost their ability to create content that kept its crowds involved. They're trying. God knows they're trying. It's just not working for me though. The self-referential eye winking. The going backwards to old gimmicks and not doing anything new. It's like the WWE is suffering from sequel-itis and doesn't know how to break out of the cycle. On some basic level, I can't help but have my intelligence insulted.

Both of those segments stunk. That Rock segment was too long and mostly not funny, and Cena did about 30 seconds of material once you factor in all his pausing between lines. Cena looked retarded wearing that shit again. Cena made fun of Rock's surgery and said he was going to teabag him, Rock called him a bitch and said he fucked Cena's mom. Pro wrestling buildup, or audio from an online match of Halo 3?

[quote name='HydroX']Wow, Cena comes out to his old theme and you goofs are like Catholic school girls at a Beiber concert.[/QUOTE]

Nah. It's not that. Judging Rock and Cena purely by their recent promos, Cena has been more entertaining. Rock peaked in the early promos and has been real cheesy in his recent attempts.

You make good points, Golden Idol. But I think the younger talent is hungry and could carry the company if WWE had built up more than just Cody, Danielson, Barrett, Sheamus, and Punk. Cena, Orton, Big Show, and even Mark Henry have run their course.

A lot of the "sequelitis" is because the E have relied on Cena, Orton, H, Michaels, and The Undertaker to draw big money. The lower-tier guys, like Joe Hennig, Gabriel, Hawkins, Bateman have a lot of potential and need to be built up on the main shows.

WCW better handled their talent. If the main event guys like Hogan, Sting, Nash, and Goldberg died in a plane crash, they'd still have Jericho, Malenko, DDP, Raven, Benoit, and a lot of well-established-amongst-the-fans people to carry the show.

And you might want to consider how pro wrestling has changed since WWE bought WCW. Having two big companies allowed each to build up people and establish them with wrasslin fans. Only having WWE has really messed up the industry.

Of course, pro-wrestling, in general, seems like a dying industry. I get why Vince has tried to turn it into an entertainment business. It's the only way to assure the WWE has relevance in the future.

Honestly, some of this back and forth banter between rock and cena was interesting for about 10 minutes. Then the shit got to the point where they keep on repeating shit. WWE should have condensed this 5 months of back and forth to about 2 segments, and then started having physical altercations. I mean seriously, if you were Cena and some asshat was saying shit about banging your mom on national tv, wouldnt you have run your ass down to the ring and started throwing fists? You are a damn physical athlete here. Hell, where I came from, even in middle school if you accuse another kid of having "lady parts" you were gonna have fists flying. The other kid was not gonna just stand there and smile like a goof at you. While I do believe that there is some legitimate heat between these two due to comments made in the past, WWE needs to remember that this is a physical sport they are selling and let these two get physical some before Mania.

[quote name='HydroX']Wow, Cena comes out to his old theme and you goofs are like Catholic school girls at a Beiber concert.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. Everyone acts like that around Bieber.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Pro wrestling buildup, or audio from an online match of Halo 3?[/QUOTE]

It was pretty juvenile on the whole for sure. Cena needs to drop mocking Rock's promo crib notes, as it's outworn its welcome (but it was pretty sweet a few weeks ago when he called him on it to be sure). Mocking his pectoral surgery? That's pretty cruel, and kind of a "daaaamn, dude" moment. Rock was crazy juvenile, sure - but hasn't that always been The Rock?

I get what you're saying - ultimately, the feud that's been announced for a year now is only beginning to pick up steam now, and in a way that takes away from the seriousness of the match. That's a valid criticism. There are some moments here and there for sure, but given that they had a year to work on this, you can't help but be disappointed on the whole (even if Cena's work is picking up).

Ironically, I dug the throwback Cena gear for a minute or two, but the giant jean shorts and oversized ball cap made him look like a roided up toddler more than he usually does in all his Cena gear.

You know who killed it last night? Jericho. fuck yeah, that promo was great, and Punk made it legit.

Jericho always kills it. He really should of aimed his wannabe shit at Thwagger tho. The only time Swagger was relevant was his WHC run when he was blatantly copying Jericho left and right.

I know it's been a stable of wrestling for fucking ever, but I still don't like (in most cases) the idea of real-life drama being used as the basis for a wrestling storyline. As soon as Jericho brought up Punk's dad, I started feeling really uncomfortable. Either Punk felt the same way or he sold it like a champ.

The internet folks are going to shit on Rock/Cena of course, but the marks love it. I've got buddies ordering the PPV just for that match (that never order wrestling PPVs). I work for a pretty big cable company in the states and talked with one of our PPV guys the other day and they've got shitloads of people ordering this PPV since December.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I know it's been a stable of wrestling for fucking ever, but I still don't like (in most cases) the idea of real-life drama being used as the basis for a wrestling storyline. As soon as Jericho brought up Punk's dad, I started feeling really uncomfortable. Either Punk felt the same way or he sold it like a champ.[/QUOTE]
The Punk's dad being an alcoholic has been used before back in the Indie days (Ring of Honor?) I believe during his first feud against Raven. Basically the storyline went that Raven was similar to the poison that took over his father with alcoholism and now he wishes to purge that poison from wrestling. Something along those lines. Plus in a shoot interview when the idea was brought up to him the person promoting the story had no clue of CM Punk's father being an actual drunk, but was all for the idea.

So it's nothing new.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the Jericho thing - mostly because it helps take Punk out of invincible jokey top face territory that he's been in for the past few months.

good god this thread is going so slow compared to the fun and frivolity of the last thread. Those were good times and laughs were had by all.....
1117772294.gif

Punk did transition from credible threat to annoying brat rather quickly.

Thankfully, this feud took a solid turn last night.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out how thankful I am that the GM power struggle angle has become a secondary or tertiary storyline. That's not too hard to do going into WM, where you have two title angles, Undertaker's match, Cena/Rock etc. But it also steps away, perhaps only briefly, from Punk's main foil being John Laurenaitis.

[quote name='JP']I think the last thread was the most fun I've had in any of the wrestling threads.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Hell i would say it was the most fun I have had in ages in many forums. Then this thread hits and its like trying to move molasses through a strainer. Hell, John Laurinaitis is more entertaining than this thread has been.....

I don't think anyone was bothered by including them, just the sheer enormity of them (and the number per post). Please, post .gifs. They're great. But maybe a 1 per post limit?

[quote name='JP']To be fair, I went WAAAAY overboard with the GIFS.[/QUOTE]

Nah, no such thing. *guilty as sin too*

[quote name='Purple Flames']A really good (albeit long) article about how WWE is basically repeating the missteps that led to the sharp decline in buyrates and viewership around the 2002-2004 period.

http://bluebarcage.blogspot.com/2012/03/wwe-class-of-2002-and-how-history-is.html[/QUOTE]

WWE got desperate. Look to the fall, when WWE ran a gay wedding, a public exhibition of lesbians kissing, a storyline based around murder and necrophilia, and Dawn Marie shagging Torrie Wilson’s ancient father, before killing him with a sex-induced heart attack.

Wow. Just, fucking, wow.

[quote name='pimpster4183']The internet folks are going to shit on Rock/Cena of course, but the marks love it.[/QUOTE]

I've never liked John Cena as much as I like him right now. Put me into whatever category you like.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow. Just, fucking, wow.[/QUOTE]

And every single one of those angles has been inducted into the hallowed halls of Wrestlecrap.

[quote name='neocisco']*groans*[/QUOTE]
:lol: I wasn't making a pun.

Dem physics and dat shitty character model made Booker look like he was straight-up inflatable.

I think Mae Young giving birth to Mark Henry's ba.. er.. hand was probably the worst gimmick/storyline of all the times.

I was watching some of the Rock set that's on Netflix. Two things of note from HHH/Rock at Backlash 2000:

1. The pop was insane when Austin returned. Crowds these days don't come close.
2. I forgot how fat Stone Cold was at that PPV. It's fucking hilarious.

This might be spoilers for Smackdown, but I'd be surprised if anyone was shocked. So, fuck it, I'm talking about it anyway.

Did Randy Orton shit in someone's bag again? People have been making a big deal out of Miz's plummet down the card between WM27 and now, but Orton's been on a WM decline since WM25.

I brought this up a few months ago, but now that Orton/Kane is official for WM28, it seems appropriate to talk about again. Look, for all intents and purposes, Orton is the number two face in the company. Whether he's on Smackdown or not, I guarantee that the same audience that views Cena as 'their guy' pops second loudest for Orton. He headlined WM25 for the title (in a shitshow of a match, but that's a different rant), and then has faced two low carders (WM26), a guy who is huge now but wasn't a player then (WM27), and now Kane (WM28). It's also notable that he's effectively been Cena's clean-up man for WM27 and WM28. Cena was feuding with Punk and Kane right before Mania and then handed those feuds to Orton.

Now, I get it. WWE, more than likely, views these as great feuds. They assume that the rub from a Cena feud for Punk and Kane has made them players. In the real world, though, we realize that Cena did nothing but kill all momentum for either guy. Therefore, Orton has been handed limp, lifeless feuds on the grandest stage of them all. Instead of trying to create memorable feuds, they just insert someone else. Punk tried last year, he really did, but it still landed with a resounding thud.

I'm not even a huge Orton fan, but it just seems to me that he's being used in absolutely bizarre ways at WM. Maybe that's it, though... they feel he's enough of a draw on his own to fill a slot on the card. Still, three years without a title match for a guy that spends much of the non-WM season around one seems strange. Plus, it also flies in the face of logic. In what world, exactly, is the logical WM match not Kane/Ryder? Ryder gets the shit kicked out of him for months, and he isn't even given a chance to redeem himself? It's just poor booking. I don't even want to see Ryder/Kane, but it's still poor booking.

There's not much of a point to this, but I just wanted to bring it up again. WWE has a hierarchy, but Orton is generally treated like a mid-carder come WM time. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Does WWE really see that much upside in Kane? Did the shitty Nexus ending really warrant Orton's involvement? It's as if Orton exists simply to fill holes that they can't be bothered to close by writing storylines with an ending.

... of course, the sad part about all of this is that I guarantee you that WWE views Kane/Orton as a bigger draw than the WHC match. Same old tunnel-vision shit.

[quote name='007']This might be spoilers for Smackdown, but I'd be surprised if anyone was shocked. So, fuck it, I'm talking about it anyway.

Did Randy Orton shit in someone's bag again? People have been making a big deal out of Miz's plummet down the card between WM27 and now, but Orton's been on a WM decline since WM25.

I brought this up a few months ago, but now that Orton/Kane is official for WM28, it seems appropriate to talk about again. Look, for all intents and purposes, Orton is the number two face in the company. Whether he's on Smackdown or not, I guarantee that the same audience that views Cena as 'their guy' pops second loudest for Orton. He headlined WM25 for the title (in a shitshow of a match, but that's a different rant), and then has faced two low carders (WM26), a guy who is huge now but wasn't a player then (WM27), and now Kane (WM28). It's also notable that he's effectively been Cena's clean-up man for WM27 and WM28. Cena was feuding with Punk and Kane right before Mania and then handed those feuds to Orton.

Now, I get it. WWE, more than likely, views these as great feuds. They assume that the rub from a Cena feud for Punk and Kane has made them players. In the real world, though, we realize that Cena did nothing but kill all momentum for either guy. Therefore, Orton has been handed limp, lifeless feuds on the grandest stage of them all. Instead of trying to create memorable feuds, they just insert someone else. Punk tried last year, he really did, but it still landed with a resounding thud.

I'm not even a huge Orton fan, but it just seems to me that he's being used in absolutely bizarre ways at WM. Maybe that's it, though... they feel he's enough of a draw on his own to fill a slot on the card. Still, three years without a title match for a guy that spends much of the non-WM season around one seems strange. Plus, it also flies in the face of logic. In what world, exactly, is the logical WM match not Kane/Ryder? Ryder gets the shit kicked out of him for months, and he isn't even given a chance to redeem himself? It's just poor booking. I don't even want to see Ryder/Kane, but it's still poor booking.

There's not much of a point to this, but I just wanted to bring it up again. WWE has a hierarchy, but Orton is generally treated like a mid-carder come WM time. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Does WWE really see that much upside in Kane? Did the shitty Nexus ending really warrant Orton's involvement? It's as if Orton exists simply to fill holes that they can't be bothered to close by writing storylines with an ending.

... of course, the sad part about all of this is that I guarantee you that WWE views Kane/Orton as a bigger draw than the WHC match. Same old tunnel-vision shit.[/QUOTE]

I know the popular assumption was Wade was going to win MITB and now that he's injured, the match is off, etc. I think that's BS. They've been building to this battle of the GMs for a while now in subtle ways, well before Wade got injured. I think the plan for Mania was originally going to be Orton/Wade (yes, despite the fact that Orton had defeated Wade a few times before) in a big blow off match with some kind of gimmick/stipulation. Even if Orton won, going 15, 20 min with Orton at WM would raise Wade's status and whatnot. And I think Wade/Orton is more fulfilling than shoehorning Orton into the WHC scene. Especially since the WHC match, even if Orton was in it, is going to play fourth fiddle at best when stacked up against the rest of the card. Its arguable that Wade/Orton would have had more importance than Sheamus/Bryan.

But with Wade out, they had fuck all for Orton to do. Orton is some kind of draw and people do want to see him do his full schtick in the ring. Throwing him in the pile of misused toys in the Battle of the GMs would be even worse. Kane is a guy who they use to fill gaps. Wade's injury left a gap. Kane filled it, even though a payoff match with Ryder would have been more logical.

Orton doesn't have a great WM history. Its really a mixed bag. He started out strong at WM20 with Evolution vs. Rock n Sock and doing the Legend Killer thing at WM21 against Undertaker. These might be his two most noteable WM matches, which is actually a little shocking.

At WM22 he was jammed inserted into what could have been a great 1 on 1 match between Rey and Angle. From WWE's perspective they were building Orton as a star, so his forced insertion into this whole thing was hardly Orton being treated as a midcarder.

At WM23 he was just another cat in MITB, where he lost.

WM24 he actually defeats Cena/HHH in what was a pretty shit storyline to get to that point because Cena used his Royal Rumble win to get a title shot.... at No Way Out. That match should have been Cena and Orton's big WM feud blow off moment, and instead HHH inserted himself into the fun and as a result it might be one of the most forgotten WM world title matches of all time. A Cena/Orton final blowoff match at WM should have been a BFD but it wasn't to be.

WM25 Orton finally hit the main event, but the build to that (like much of Orton's time as a heel feuding with Cena and HHH) was pretty shit. Yeah, it was cool he punted Vince and Shane and kissed Stephanie while HHH watched, but the way those events played out on live TV was excruciatingly painful to watch. (Who could forget Triple H busting into Orton's "home" and Orton's "wife"?) And the Orton/HHH match was pretty lackluster. You can't call this the midcard treatment though.

I liked the WM26 match because it was a fitting close of sorts to the whole Legacy thing. After being a terrible heel for so long, Orton really started to boom as a face (which I know people hate now), but it worked for me.

And of course WM27 you're absolutely right 007, that feud with Orton was just Cena's sloppy seconds, though Punk did his best to act like it was actually in continuity with the concussion kick Orton gave him two years prior. Punk and the New Nexus went from targeting Cena one week then with no rhyme or reason, dropped that and targeted Orton. Orton was also on Raw, for better for worse, and while the brand extension obviously isn't a bright line rule, its not like it would have made any sense to insert Orton into the WHC buildup they were doing for ADR on Smackdown. So with both world title matches locked, it was up to Orton and Punk feud. I don't think that's a bad thing even if it was random.

At least a match against Wade Barrett at WM28 would have been a logical way to end a long running feud and IMO would have been better than shoehorning Orton into a WHC match. But like I said at the start, with Wade out, they needed a sub, and that's Kane's specialty. This actually reminds me a bit of Kane/Angle at WM18 or the Kane/Jericho hot coffee feud. Two guys near the top of the card with nothing to do? Book 'em against each other! Of course it does seem like Cena's sloppy seconds again as well.

So while Orton's WM experience is a mixed bag, I think WWE has tried to use him as a "main event" draw, but it just never clicked, even when he was in the main event. His best two outings at Mania were his first two. Maybe one day WWE will figure out the right match or feud to really give Orton a big WM moment.

I really think Orton needs to go back to being the Legend Killer. His act is staler than anyone on the roster besides Cena.

Cena might have him beat at the moment with his harder edge (har har) in dealing with the Rock. I still pretty much agree though, Orton comes across as a slimy douche. Now apparently he isn't in real life (thanks to that shirt-swapping anecdote from someone in here) but I think heel Orton is much more effective than badass face Orton.

[quote name='masked lemon']I really think Orton needs to go back to being the Legend Killer. His act is staler than anyone on the roster besides Cena.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that is staler at this point is this thread. Friggin yawn fest up in here

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back