The Search for the Ultimate Wii/GC/VC controller

jughead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
203 (99%)
Hi all. I don't normally make a thread until I've used google for several hours without finding the answer. The next place I go for anything - Videogames, Jury rigging, or Saving-A-Buck - is right here. This question may incorporate all three categories.

First things first. I have a Wii. I want to download quite a few VC games. Almost all the games I want are platformer (aka mario). I also have a pretty good GC library including Megaman and Megaman X collections. I also have Muramasa for Wii.

I own two wavebirds which are excellent for my Gamecube games but I can't stand using them with Megaman which means I will also hate using them with Mario or anything like that. It appears that GC controllers have the best cross functionality on the Wii. They work with most VC games, all GC games, and Wii games that require traditional button (non-waggle) play. Basically; I'm a classic Nintendo fan who really isn't into the waggle technology that the Wii offers. I am more interested in its brilliant catalog of older games.

So I need a gamecube controller that has a swinging D-Pad. Right? Here are some things I have come across in my googling.

First; the elusive Hori SNES/GC Hybrid. Correct me if I'm wroing but this is also called the gameboy controller as well, right?
hori-gamecube-pad.jpg

Second; a SNES adapter like shown here
wiisnesretroport.jpg

or something like shown here involving adapting a ps2 controller:
http://vpgames.com/p-6222-ps2-wii-j...tation-2-controllers-on-gamecube-and-wii.aspx

Does anyone have a catch-all solution for this? Surely I am not the only one in this dilemma. Is the Hori gameboy controller impossible to find or outrageously expensive? Or both? Has anyone used an adapter? If so; how did it work? Does anyone have anything for sale (I know, wrong forum)?

Thanks for the help in advance. Let me know if you need more details to what I might be playing or planning to do with this controller.

I have a PS2-GC adapter. I remember I tried playing Super Mario RPG but the buttons didn't correlate right because the game recognized it as a GC controller instead of Classic Controller.

The reason it's screwed up is the SNES buttons are
...X
Y...A
...B

The GC has it set up
...X
B...Y
...A

So the PS2 controller corresponds to the GC setup. In Super Mario 2, it made running awkward to do, especially while jumping.

I'd love to get my hands on a Hori controller but I don't want to spend the prices it goes for.

I remember there was supposed to be a NES/SNES/N64 to Gamecube adapter that was going to come out but that was almost a year ago and I've not heard of anything since. I remember Kotaku had an article about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']you are going to need to get 2 controller, one for gamecube and one for VC.[/QUOTE]

What exactly does this mean? Do you have a suggestion as to which controller to get?

[quote name='yayece']Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the classic controller? It's supposed to work with all the VC games, you don't have to worry about adapter/compatibility issues, and they're only $20.

Alternatively, you could look into the super famicom classic controllers. These were Club Nintendo prizes over in Japan a year or two ago.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=super+famicom+wii&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=[/QUOTE]

The issue is that they do not play with GC games.

I think this adapter might be the solution. Here is a review of the retroport. It seems positive.

[quote name='icedrake523']The first link you posted with it has it in stock for $20. Shipping is ~$6, so for $26 it's pretty tempting.[/QUOTE]

They are different adapters, and the one that's in stock has gotten panned, at least on amazon. 1 star. I'd avoid it.

Also, in further looking into that other adapter, people seem to say the NES, SNES and Genesis ports work well, but the N64 port leaves a lot to be desired because it's recognized as a NGC controller, and on the Wii, playing N64 games, the Z button is not the Z button, because it is trying to make the Gamecube controller more usable, but you aren't using a Gamecube controller! It should have changed the mapping, but it doesn't. I'm forgetting what the mapping is right now. And the N64 adapter is what I'm most interested in as I have N64 controllers and would like to use them on N64 VC games.

Rather than creating a new thread I thought I would give you guys an update and ask another question. I decided to go with the Retroport (review here) . It appears to work without lag as a gamecube controller on the VC. It maps the buttons 1:1. i.e. - A on the snes pad is A on the Gamecube pad, B is B, and so on. I'm really hoping this is my solution. I just placed the order from RetroUSB but they are on vacation or something and won't process my order until the 20th. The good news, they are on sale for $16.

My question; has anyone ever purchased generic Chinese SNES pads off of Ebay? They are dirt cheap. Like - 7 shipped for 2 pads. Whaddya think? Thanks!

[quote name='icedrake523']I have a PS2-GC adapter. I remember I tried playing Super Mario RPG but the buttons didn't correlate right because the game recognized it as a GC controller instead of Classic Controller.

The reason it's screwed up is the SNES buttons are
...X
Y...A
...B

The GC has it set up
...X
B...Y
...A

So the PS2 controller corresponds to the GC setup. In Super Mario 2, it made running awkward to do, especially while jumping.[/QUOTE]

You're going to run into this problem with a lot of controllers (including the AWESOME Hori controller).

I really like the Thrustmaster wireless controller.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838868p1.html

It's a little small, but the fact you can remap any of the buttons any way you want is handy. Since its wireless adapter plugs in to a GCN port, you can use it almost any way you want. It's nice.

You guys all make valid points but you are missing one thing. Beside UncleBob's suggestion, you can't use any of those on gamecube games. I really think I've hit the nail on the head as far as the variety of games I wanted to play wit this controller. Thanks everyone for you input.

bread's done
Back