The Series You Love, and The Games You Hate...

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Basically this thread is for anyone that has been a dedicated fan to a game series, and also was unfortunate enough to play the lesser titles of their beloved series.

So for me:

Super Mario Bros. :

New Super Mario Bros.. Sure there are many many worse games, but even then considering that the other Marios do everything this game does 10x better just makes this game seem even more pointless than the crappiest of platformers. It just lacks any type of life or unique feel that most Mario games have, it is exactly like the title says...a rehash of the original formula...USELESS!

Lost Levels: This game borrows the same visual style of its predecessor, and kills the fun of the gameplay. Most of it is trial and error non-sense that is gladly becoming extinct these days.

I'll update some more later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Mario Bros. I'll second the lost levels. Also didn't care much for SMB2--just too different.

Metroid- Metroid Prime 2 was way too hard, and I hated all the back tracking through the light and dark worlds (and standing in light waiting to heal in the dark world. The DS game also sucked ass--terrible controls and didn't feel like a Metroid game.

Metroidvania--SOTN, the 3 GBA games and the first 2 DS games were great. But I couldn't get into Order of Ecclesia. Was too difficulty for my tastes (hate hard games) and with all the small levels it didn't feel like a Metroidvania game.

Not counting things like Deus Ex 'cause there's only two games in that series at present. Same for KotOR.

Metroid: The number two is a bad number. Return of Samus looked like a whole bunch of cabbage. Prime 2, while not bad, was certainly a lot worse than the first Prime and Corruption.

Prince of Persia: Never played PoP 3D, but Warrior Within can go fuck itself.

X-Com: Really, anything but the first and third game. There's nothing really wrong with the second, but it's just way too same-y.

Final Fantasy: Most anything post-Tactics. It's not a hard rule, but it's generally correct. For me, at least. fuck you, Tactics Advance

Fallout: Fallout 2. Yeah, I said it. The worst of Black Isle - bad AI, bugs, dodgy combat - without enough of the usual redeeming features (fucktons of dialogue, memorable characters, though true to the company's standards, they did cram in enough prostitutes to build a Hooker Tower of Babel).

Monkey Island: Monkey Island 4. But I'm not being fair about it, really - it's just so ungodly fucking ugly. I mean, I can play ugly, but this is like... like what I imagine the prostitutes in Fallout 2 look like. That level of ugly. And clunky, too. I'll get back to it some day, alright?

Halo 1 and 2 sucked, but 3 was amazing.

Madden 08 was Awesome, but 09 was pretty bland and boring.

Killzone ruled, but Killzone 2 looks to be garbage.

Mario 64 sucked, but I loved the Mario Party games!

And last, but not least, Metroid was awesome, but Super Metroid was disappointing.

Oh right, sorry.

Sonic 1-3 sucked, but I love Sonic The Hedgehog on PS3/360! Also Sonic Riders is the bomb!

Also Sonic CD sucked, but Sonic The Fighters was a great return to form.

Super Mario World - maybe it was because I didn't own an SNES, but I own the GBA version and I just can't get into it. Basically the same gripes the OP had about New Super Mario Bros. It just lacks the charm of Mario 3 IMO. Then again, the Mario I don't like is still leagues ahead of most other 2d platformers.

Lost Levels - Mario for sadists. As different as Mario 2 was, it was still fun to play.

[quote name='whoknows']Oh right, sorry.

Sonic 1-3 sucked, but I love Sonic The Hedgehog on PS3/360! Also Sonic Riders is the bomb!

Also Sonic CD sucked, but Sonic The Fighters was a great return to form.[/quote]
Don't forget Heroes and Unleashed! They were badass! Shame about the GBA and DS games...

EDIT: Also, fuck Sonic & Knuckles. Give me Shadow the Hedgehog any day.

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't forget Heroes and Unleashed! They were badass! Shame about the GBA and DS games...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I loved Heroes! You get to control 3 characters at once! So there's like 4 teams, each consisting of 3 characters, so 4x3=Unlimited amounts of fun!

And the DS/GBA games are garbage. No one cares about 2D games anymore. They're so 1978.

Pokemon: R/S/E : I really got tired of them at this point. Thank god for D/P for having online, made it worth a purchase.

WWE Smackdown: Smackdown vs Raw up to 2008: They changed the classic controls and it ruined the game play for me.

LEGO (Licensed Property): LEGO Indy: Could be I have no attachment for the characters, but I feel this one lacks the replay value of Star Wars and Batman.

[quote name='whoknows']Oh right, sorry.

Also Sonic CD sucked, but Sonic The Fighters was a great return to form.[/quote]

While I detest the latest 3D Sonics, I do think the 2D Sonics are outrageously overrated.

They're great, but frankly I wouldn't put them above the Sonic Adventure games, even with their sometimes awkward camera angles and irritating bugs.

Suikoden - My favorite RPG series, but Suikoden IV is the black sheep, and I probably enjoyed it more than most people. The traveling was tedious and boring. The plot wasn't bad but the boring, uninteresting characters didn't help.

Mega Man X - Again a great series, I even liked the less popular X5 & X6, but Mega Man X7 (the first one the PS2) tried new stuff that just didn't work.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, I loved Heroes! You get to control 3 characters at once! So there's like 4 teams, each consisting of 3 characters, so 4x3=Unlimited amounts of fun!

And the DS/GBA games are garbage. No one cares about 2D games anymore. They're so 1978.[/quote]And hell, Bioware almost ruined the franchise...

I love the old Dragon Quest games, but 8 seemed like an attempt to appeal to the post-FF7 RPG fan and didn't feel like Dragon Quest anymore. I haven't been following 9 too much so I don't know what to think of that.

More recently, I'm a Battlefield 2/2142 nut but it looks like DICE has decided the series's future is in stripped-down console versions.

[quote name='metaly']I love the old Dragon Quest games, but 8 seemed like an attempt to appeal to the post-FF7 RPG fan and didn't feel like Dragon Quest anymore. I haven't been following 9 too much so I don't know what to think of that.
[/QUOTE]

My boyfriend agrees with you completely. I still really enjoyed 8 despite its flaws.

As for me:
SILENT HILL 4
Lunar Dragon Song
Persona 4 :lol:

Suikoden IV: The plot itself was pretty weak, and most of the characters had little to no depth to them at all. Moving across the world map was a nightmare and the encounter rate felt a tad high on the open seas. Money acquisition was a joke since trading for an hour (while a cute way to pass the time) pretty much gave you all the money you would need throughout the game.

The only saving graces were the hidden character, and the eleventh hour secret if you talk to the right people before the final battle. Also, Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics helped make S4 better after the fact, but that's another story. Overall, a painfully poor entry in the series. Very disappointing.

Lunar: Dragon Song: Where bad ideas meets ways to bloat gameplay. God forbid you run. You have to spend twice as much time grinding if you want something silly like money and XP. Just...wretched.

Series I love:
Ratchet & Clank - Deadlocked wasn't so hot compared to the other games in the series.
Sly Cooper - 3 Wasn't nearly as good as 1 or 2.
God of War - Both games are awesome, can't wait for the third.
Warcraft - Not a fan of WoW, but love all the other Warcraft games.

[quote name='diddy310']Super Mario World - maybe it was because I didn't own an SNES, but I own the GBA version and I just can't get into it. Basically the same gripes the OP had about New Super Mario Bros. It just lacks the charm of Mario 3 IMO. Then again, the Mario I don't like is still leagues ahead of most other 2d platformers.

Lost Levels - Mario for sadists. As different as Mario 2 was, it was still fun to play.[/quote]

Wow I agree with the gist of everything you say regarding Mario. Maybe you should give World another go though just to be sure....

Not as great as 3, my personal favorite, but really...what game is? Definitely a true Mario title to me. I admire the fact that it tried to do something different by providing a more open world design.

The other game I was almost tempted to mention was Sunshine. Though I held off because I don't think it deserves to be in the same crap level as Lost Levels and NSMB. Really a charming game if you can put up with its faults, and I rather enjoyed the tropical atmosphere.

Super Mario World is actually my favorite in the series. More levels and all the hidden exits etc. give it the nod over SMB3 for me.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Super Mario World is actually my favorite in the series. More levels and all the hidden exits etc. give it the nod over SMB3 for me.[/quote]

World is pretty awesome!

For me it goes 3, Galaxy, 1, World, 2, and 64. Although I'm constantly switching my order, for the most part Galaxy and 3 will always stay at the top of my list.

2 I find is very underrated for idiotic reasons, like the fact that in its previous form it wasn't technically Mario game. This attitude really offends me because the current Mario universe is heavily influenced by 2 and I felt Miyamoto did a great job at transforming Doki Doki into Mario form. I also just think it had a lot of great gameplay ideas like in its handling of weapons and just the overall open level feel, that I'm really shocked Nintendo hasn't revisited.

Yeah...I don't count Yoshi mainly because you're playing as well...Yoshi, but if I had to it'd go at the bottom of the list(before LL, SS, and NSMB though). Love Yoshi, but not as much as I love Mario.

I really enjoyed Sunshine, much more than pretty much everyone. I dunno what it was, maybe because they just tried something different. I wasn't a huge fan of Super Mario 64 either.

Oh and I put world above 3, I think mainly because My first gaming system was a SNES with SMW bundled in (to be fair All-stars were in there too, but my brother and I just didn't put the same amount of effort in as SMW)

Tekken

Tekken 4
- It had fewer characters than Tekken 3 and Tekken 5, plus one of those characters was actually a clone of the other.
- The fighting, overall, was much slower than previous entries in the series.
- The new characters stunk. "Hulk" fighters like Craig are a dime a dozen, and Steve couldn't even kick. Christie was just a palette swap.
- It was the first time they placed obstacles in the arenas instead of fighting on an infinite plain, but it was poorly implemented and functioned terrible.
- The beat-em-up mode was frustratingly difficult though it didn't intend to be.
- They resurrected Kazuya. Kazuya rocks, but resurrecting anybody is a big, fat "I ran out of story ideas" finger.
- The announcer sounded like he was whispering.
- They took my favorite character (Yoshimitsu) and gave him freakin' wings for no real reason.
- The soundtrack was terrible and inappropriate, but they didn't bother to make it work in the same way the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 soundtrack worked on some bizarre level.

Legend of Zelda is great, but turned to garbage when it went to 3D. Ocarina of time is way over hyped and all Zelda 3D games since are all the same concept with a horrible gimmick. Okami is what the series in 3D should be to this day. I swear they use the same soundtrack from Ocarina in Twilight Princess, and the fracking elf should learn to talk. Nintendo, innovate this series.

Sly Cooper, great first game. After a bit towards the end there where more mini-games instead of actual levels. In Sly 2, the ratio was 50% levels 50% mini-games. In Sly 3 it seemed like it was 25% levels and 75% mini games. Way to whore out a franchise Sucker Punch.

Halo is also the most over-hyped un-original and non-innovative franchises I have ever seen in video games. Everything that Bungie has done with the FPS series I have seen done better in other FPS franchises or games after the release of Halo. There is nothing great about Halo and the only thing it has going for it is the multi-player, horrible story, lame charcter, and very lame developer. Halo is the franchise I hate most.

Metal Gear let me down with 2 and 4. The rest were fantastic especially 3 and the GBC's Ghost Babel.

Contra. I've always been a big fan but the newer ones have been crap. Well except 4. 4 is awesome.

[quote name='Davestation']
Halo is also the most over-hyped un-original and non-innovative franchises I have ever seen in video games. Everything that Bungie has done with the FPS series I have seen done better in other FPS franchises or games after the release of Halo. There is nothing great about Halo and the only thing it has going for it is the multi-player, horrible story, lame charcter, and very lame developer. Halo is the franchise I hate most.[/quote]
This thread.

Ur doing it rong.

[quote name='odintal']Metal Gear let me down with 2 and 4. The rest were fantastic especially 3 and the GBC's Ghost Babel.

Contra. I've always been a big fan but the newer ones have been crap. Well except 4. 4 is awesome.[/quote]

I've only played MGS 1,2,3 so far (4 is in the backlog), and 3 and 2 seem to be polar opposites. 2 is so heavy handed with the philosophical political double plot twists (if that makes any sense at all), whereas 3 is almost purely political story and focuses on the relationship between Boss and Big Boss and what it means to die for your country.

I think MGS1 was a good balance between 2 and 3. Hopefully I am satisfied with 4.

/rant on how awesome MGS3 is

The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker was pretty disappointing for me. It just felt way out of place with the other games. It felt too childish, not just because of the graphics, but because it seemed way too easy. Most of the bosses were a joke, and if I recall correctly, the first boss in the game was the toughest, which is quite sad. I also felt like I was constantly fighting the same enemies over and over (rats and chuchus particularly). It had some nice ideas no doubt (the towns with people were more interesting than other Zelda games) but it was definitely a letdown when compared to the greatness of the rest of the series.

[quote name='kimbaka']The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker was pretty disappointing for me. It just felt way out of place with the other games. It felt too childish, not just because of the graphics, but because it seemed way too easy. Most of the bosses were a joke, and if I recall correctly, the first boss in the game was the toughest, which is quite sad. I also felt like I was constantly fighting the same enemies over and over (rats and chuchus particularly). It had some nice ideas no doubt (the towns with people were more interesting than other Zelda games) but it was definitely a letdown when compared to the greatness of the rest of the series.[/quote]

I was not a big fan of Wind Waker either honestly. I got to the part where you have to the 3 whica-mc-gizmos out of the sea and that just bored me. Actually now that I think of it, I haven't finished a zelda since Ocarina of Time.

From what I played of Twilight Princess I really enjoyed it, I just got sidetracked by other things. It might have been a rehash of OoT essentially, but I enjoyed the stylistic differences, and felt like the Wii-Motions actually did something for the gameplay.

Zelda is another series I love that has let me down some times.

The ones I thought were less than stellar:

Majora's Mask--liked the style, but only having 4 dungeons (IIRC) was lame, and the time thing got annoying occasionally.

Wind Waker--don't like cel shading, but it did look pretty good. But I hated all the celling, pulling up chests that were just rupees you had no room in the wallet for etc.

Phantom Hourglass--hated the touch controls, hated the ocean king temple. Easily my least favorite Zelda game (discounting the CD-i games I never played).

All three of those were still good games, just didn't live up to the greats in the series like the original, Link to the Past, Links Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess which are among my all time favorites.

I forgot to mention Starfox...

While I don't think the first Starfox has aged that well, I do think it was a nice start to the series. To me Starfox 64 perfected the formula, and every Starfox game to come out afterwards have been so mediocre that it's almost hard to believe the series was once fun. The only thing saving Fox's Mccloud's image is the Super Smash series. I guess I do kind of hate the series as a whole, but there's always hope...right?

MGS....2...I wouldn't say it's bad per say, but it didn't draw me in like the others and to me it often felt like it was confused with itself as a game or entertainment.

Deus Ex and Fallout are a given.

Other than that, Unreal Tournament. What the fuck Epic. Give the mapping helm back to Digital Extremes.

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 12. You can't change the camera controls so I was always running into walls, and the gameplay was so encouraged to use macros that the game just wanted you to let it run itself. You didn't feel like you were actually playing it.

I would say FF12 was the worst in the main series for me. I enjoyed FF8 and X-2 MUCH MORE than 12.

I really hope FF13 returns to a style more like X or Lost Odyssey than 12.

Sonic just sucks period. Always has, always will.

Why do you think Nintendo won? I kid, the first 3 were fun.

Love Mario, Zelda Metroid, Final Fantasy.

Hate Mario milk games (Party, Baseball, Mario vs DK, etc.), Zelda 2, Phantom Hourglass, Wind Waker, FFII (snooze fest).

Almost forgot, also Mario 2. Wtf were they thinking?! Horrible! Horrible game. It didn't look like Mario, it didn't play like Mario, and you have to squint real hard to make out Bowser.

Hmm

Let see Resident Evil Outbreak/Survivor/all spin offs, they're just crap

Worried about RE5 I am

GTA SA great game, GTA III good, Vice City not shabby, IV okay, Any of the stories games are dumb just another way to make $$$

Call of Duty 3.....terrible

Mortal Kombat 4, why in 3d, and why on the 64?

Mario Kart Wii, I like the others on N64 and Snes but this piece of crap can die in a fire

Now I liked Fallout 2, it was so easy to play as the chick....I wasn't into 1 and Tactics was lame.

Love Xenogears and Xenosaga I & III.

Hate Xeno II.

Loved Resident Evil 1-3 + Code Veronica.

Hated RE4 and thought the demo for 5 was terrible. Will not be picking it up.

[quote name='b3b0p']
Almost forgot, also Mario 2. Wtf were they thinking?! Horrible! Horrible game. It didn't look like Mario, it didn't play like Mario, and you have to squint real hard to make out Bowser.[/quote]
It's hard as hell to tell on the internet, so at the risk of ruining it... that last bit was supposed to be the joke, right? I mean, I ain't saying that you can't hate Mario 2, it's just...

Mario 2 had a great soundtrack but I think if they wanted to port Doki Doki to America, they shouldn't have used Mario to do it. It just felt out of place. I remember hardly anything about that game because out of the million times I played it, I would get bored immediately and stop playing.

[quote name='The Crotch']It's hard as hell to tell on the internet, so at the risk of ruining it... that last bit was supposed to be the joke, right? I mean, I ain't saying that you can't hate Mario 2, it's just...[/quote]
Joke? I guess, I did dislike Mario 2, hate is a little strong perhaps.

[quote name='b3b0p']Joke? I guess, I did dislike Mario 2, hate is a little strong perhaps.[/quote]
Okay, but, um...

You know that that wasn't Bowser, right?

The first and best example that comes to mind is Perfect Dark Zero. The original PD is my all-time favorite FPS, the prequel was just despicable by comparison.

I really don't understand the Mario 2 haters. Hate it all you want, but even you have to admit that it's 100x better than lost levels. Ugh...RLY...I think people only like that game because it looks like Mario 1. As a gamer, I'm so thankful Nintendo decided not to release it to us the first time around, because at least then we didn't feel ripped off playing it in All Stars.

bread's done
Back