The Simpsons

WinnieThePujols

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I have a question regarding the Simpsons...

It's pretty apparent that the animation quality drastically improves in this series in the late 90's, or around 2000 or so.

Does anyone know why?

Did they get a new animator? I know nothing about animation... did they maybe switch techniques?

I know we have some Simpsons fans here, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I've been watching the show a lot, and the old episodes seem borderline awful animation-wise (though the content is awesome, obviously).

Wiki knows all.

The Simpsons has been animated by many different studios over the past 18 years, both domestic and overseas. Throughout the run of the animated shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show, the animation was solely produced domestically at Klasky Csupo. Due to the increased workload, production was being subcontracted to overseas studios for the half-hour show, usually in South Korea. While character and background layout is done by the domestic studio, inbetweening, coloring and filming is done by the overseas studios. Throughout the years, different overseas studios have animated different episodes, even episodes within the same season. Klasky Csupo was the domestic animation studio during the first three seasons of the half-hour series, but during season four, Gracie Films made a decision to switch the domestic production to Film Roman, which continues to animate the show to this day. The last episode to be animated by Klasky Csupo was "Kamp Krusty", in production order.

After season 13, production was switched from traditional cel animation to digital ink and paint. The first episode to experiment with digital coloring was "Radioactive Man" in 1995, and again during season 12 with the episode "Tennis the Menace", but after seeing the results, Gracie Films decided to hold off for two more seasons. "Tennis the Menace," being already completed, was broadcast this way.

[quote name='Sporadic']Wiki knows all.[/QUOTE]

Other then wiki most animated tv shows. Have went from Cell to digital to overseas digital.

[quote name='David85']Who cares what it looks like the writing is still shit.[/QUOTE]

Hey now, it was fairly good up until season 11 which is impressive for any show let alone a cartoon.

People have to remember they are almost to their 400th episode.

[quote name='David85']Who cares what it looks like the writing is still shit.[/QUOTE]

Still better than 95% of the crap on TV today. Shitty Simpsons >>>> reality TV, cop drama, american idol etc. etc.

[quote name='Apossum']Still better than 95% of the crap on TV today. Shitty Simpsons >>>> reality TV, cop drama, american idol etc. etc.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention Family Guy.

The Simpsons did seem to have a dropoff around season 10 or so, and it lasted for 4 or 5 years. Last season though I think they rebounded a bit, fter skipping out on the show quite a bit for the few years prior, I was surprised to see how good a new episode was. I watched more and more and was impressed.

People don't notice it since they've resigned themselves to the fact that "IT SUCKS NOW." Their loss.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not to mention Family Guy.

The Simpsons did seem to have a dropoff around season 10 or so, and it lasted for 4 or 5 years. Last season though I think they rebounded a bit, fter skipping out on the show quite a bit for the few years prior, I was surprised to see how good a new episode was. I watched more and more and was impressed.

People don't notice it since they've resigned themselves to the fact that "IT SUCKS NOW." Their loss.[/QUOTE]

it certainly is the cool thing to say. (and if David85 says it sucks, that must mean it's totally awesome... ... .. . ..)

I was a "it sucks now" person for a year or 2. Then I realized I had been watching the show for the past 10 years, religously at times (especially when I was younger.) I just needed a break. :)

I don't really understand how animation works. Like I said, I'm really ignorant.

From that Wiki quote, it sounds like a team? Like you have one person that does the backgrounds and then one person does the character animations or what?

Maybe I sound ridiculous. Animation has always seemed like an incredibly tedious and taunting task to me. Anyone have any good links?

The process of making a Simpsons episode is quite daunting. This is an insight into the work that goes into making each episode.

Lisa: The writers should be ashamed of themselves.
Bart: Cartoons have writers?

Yep, that's right. A team of about 15 writers decide on plots and throw around ideas for jokes and gags, then one or two writers are sent away to write a full script for the episode. This script is then given a read through by the voice artists, before making any final alterations. The main voice artists are Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer plus any special guests (See the cast list and guest stars list for more info). The episode is recorded onto a voice track and sent to the animating team.

The animators draw out story boards and rough sketches for how the episode will look, followed by a set of black and white drawings for the whole episode, called frames. These are then shot under a camera, pieced together and combined with he voice track to give the writers and director a rough overview of the episode. They can also make any last minute changes needed.

The drawings are sent to Korea to be drawn neatly and inked (colored in), where labor is cheaper. These are again shot under a camera and linked to the voice track.

Finally comes the music. Alf Clausen and his orchestra add music to give emotion and feeling to the episode. Everything is combined together and the writers & producers can get a look (and a laugh at the final product before airing.

This whole process take about nine months. "It's like having a baby," says executive producer Mike Scully. "Only it's a cartoon baby." The producers sometimes find it aggravating that it takes so long. A episode for a sitcom is usually written over two or three days, recorded the next day, and then aired a week later. However, on the set of The Simpsons, an episode is written in two days, recorded on the third day, then the final product is viewed six months later.

Nevertheless, everyone who works on The Simpsons agrees that "it's the best job in show business."

I found that, but I'm still curious to learn more about animation. I'm not interested in doing it, I just wanna know more about the process. I realize I could Google this, but I'm hoping someone knows of some good links off-hand.

I dissagree I think the Simpsons has held up well over time, this season has been crap thus far but all and all its been good show over its life span. I dont buy into the whole its been crap after season * theroy..

I never liked the digital coloring, it was always too bright and artificial. I miss the cell drawings, they had a much more visceral punch to them.

[quote name='Magehart']This thread makes me miss Married with Children. Live action simpsons + fam guy ftw.[/QUOTE]

i've always hated mwc

except for christina applegate

she's the only redeeming quality that show had

bread's done
Back