The Source: 80GB MGS4 PlayStation 3 with Limited Backward Compatibility - $399.96

Pretty good deal for a brand new PS3 with BC.

I compiled a list a long time ago when I was hunting for a second cheap PS3 for TheSource stores that still had the 40GB model in stock, right before they removed the listing from the website. I don't know if the list is still valid, but maybe a CAG can take advantage of the Slim's release and get a console for under $300. Heavy YMMV for stock and price, and if you find one I would get ready to haggle since I would consider the Slim a superior console to the old 40GB.

1 console in Ajax
2 stores in Burlington
2 consoles in East York
2 stores in Oshawa
2 consoles in Peterborough
1 console in Dufferin Mall
1 console in Scarborough (Cedarbrae Mall I believe)

Happy hunting!(?)

I still think that it would he a better deal to get a PS3 slim (perhaps using RCSS $25 giftcard on a purchase of $250) as well as a $59 PS2. MGS4 is a greatest hit now and you can pick it up pretty cheap. I'm sure that around Xmas you'll start to see so PS3 bundles including some game as a pack in. To tell you the thruth, as an owner of a launch 60gb that never had a PS2, I'm still hesitant to play too many PS2 games on it out of fear of putting too much wear and tear on the laser.

As someone who bought the MGS4 bundled PS3 on release, I would say you're better off with a PS3 slim. Bigger hard drive, not as much of a dust magnet because it's not glossy piano black.

And, you might as well just use a PS2 at this point instead of a PS3 with hit and miss compatibility.

[quote name='Firestorm']I think people want the BC PS3s for the upscaling and having less consoles hooked up.[/QUOTE]The upscaling doesn't make too much of a difference IMO, but I generally don't like the smoothing feature so I keep that off. And it's better to have a solid machine that plays 100% of the games instead of something that may or may not play it properly. Slim PS2s are the size of a DVD case so it's not like they're troublesome to have around.

Why pay more for less, basically.

I don't think the software (or hardware) compatability list is so bad that I would even use the words hit and miss. Look at the list and there are way more hits really. The upscaling qualifies more as hit and miss since some games don't look as nice as some users would prefer but then again, that is user preference. $400 isn't too bad, especially when you consider the vocal minority that whine incessantly about Sony taking features from every new iteration of the console.

bread's done
Back