The "Stay Classy, Republicans" Super Nintendo Chalmers Thread

TN lawmaker passes resolution to honor himself

A Tennessee legislator is catching heat for passing a resolution to honor himself.

While Tennessee lawmakers have long been criticized for wasting time and money on frivolous bills, some say this one tops them all.

Resolutions are basically congratulatory notes for an achievement, an occasion or a job well-done, and so far this year, lawmakers have passed 476 resolutions - each one typically costing taxpayers about $300.

Sen. Ophelia Ford has passed one to honor her intern, Sens. Matthew and Timothy Hill have honored their late grandmother but Sen. Jon Lundberg just passed a resolution to honor himself.

"I think it's important for us as a state to say, 'Hey, great job on creating jobs and moving the ball forward,'" said Lundberg, R-Bristol...

Sometimes I think TN deserves a "Stay Classy" thread of its own.

"Yeah, ahha, yeah,ahha,ahha... Bad bad boy come with me, come with me..."

#fgteeehhjzz

I don't know how many of you are Game of Thrones fans, but Varys said something in the last episode that I thought fit the republican party pretty damn well. "He would see this country burn, if he could be king of the ashes". To me that sums up the GOP pretty well, that they would let the country burn and the people starve if it meant they could rule over them later.

Made this because I just spent the last few minutes listening to this idiot's "town hall" meeting on the phone.

edit- Ok I know there was a picture here....:whistle2:s
1731026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clak']I
It's refreshing to see a conservative stand up for something that makes sense. Linking welfare benefits to the grades of the recipients children? Bloody brilliant. If making those little moochers poorer doesn't improve their grades, then I don't know what will. While we're at it, maybe we should stop those free school lunch programs too, probably raise their grades by at least one letter.[/QUOTE]

Hey Ray Canterbury of West Virginia thinks we should make 1st graders janitors if they cannot afford their lunch. We would not want them to grow up thinking there is an easy way out. This shit is such BS. Punishing the child for their parents poverty is about as low as one can go. How about all the other kids? They are just mooching off their parents right? They are fucking KIDS.

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids work for their lunches: trash to be taken out, hallways to be swept, lawns to be mowed, make them earn it," Del. Ray Canterbury (R-Greenbrier) said during floor debate. "If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/ray-canterbury-school-lunches_n_3141238.html

47th in education, 79/77% of 8th graders not proficient in math and reading? Taking them out of the classroom even more sounds like a great idea.

Then they can save money by firing the groundskeepers and janitorial staff. How...efficient.

Pass a bill to add armed guards, like Wayne LaPierre said. Maybe add a chain-link fence with concertina wire on top to keep out terr'ists and pedophiles and stuff.

Fence, armed guards, doing manual labor to maintain the facility, meals, and a diminished emphasis on educational outcomes. Luckily, we have a floor plan for that already:
Britannica_prison.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']47th in education, 79/77% of 8th graders not proficient in math and reading? Taking them out of the classroom even more sounds like a great idea.

Then they can save money by firing the groundskeepers and janitorial staff. How...efficient.

Pass a bill to add armed guards, like Wayne LaPierre said. Maybe add a chain-link fence with concertina wire on top to keep out terr'ists and pedophiles and stuff.

Fence, armed guards, doing manual labor to maintain the facility, meals, and a diminished emphasis on educational outcomes. Luckily, we have a floor plan for that already:
Britannica_prison.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='mykevermin']47th in education, 79/77% of 8th graders not proficient in math and reading? Taking them out of the classroom even more sounds like a great idea.

Britannica_prison.jpg
[/QUOTE]

If we restrict abortion and limit sex ed we can keep feeding the machine! That means more free labor!

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If we restrict abortion and limit sex ed we can keep feeding the machine! That means more free labor![/QUOTE]

There is such scary truth to that statement. It is like certain people want a caste system in the US. Born poor? Well you get to clean up after the rich kids in school and less of an education.

Children were not asked to be born. As adults, it is our responsibility to be sure they are cared for properly. Ideally their own parents should take care of them but for those that do not it is society that has to step in. School should be a place where your hard work, study, and determination are not hindered by whether you can afford to eat. Education is a pathway to economic mobility but certain groups would rather people just know their place. Born poor? Might as well start early learning that you will always be poor. Makes me sick.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Hey Ray Canterbury of West Virginia thinks we should make 1st graders janitors if they cannot afford their lunch. We would not want them to grow up thinking there is an easy way out. This shit is such BS. Punishing the child for their parents poverty is about as low as one can go. How about all the other kids? They are just mooching off their parents right? They are fucking KIDS.

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids work for their lunches: trash to be taken out, hallways to be swept, lawns to be mowed, make them earn it," Del. Ray Canterbury (R-Greenbrier) said during floor debate. "If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/ray-canterbury-school-lunches_n_3141238.html[/QUOTE]
There are times I've considered starting a "dumb shit republicans say" blog.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']LOL, make kids earn their lunch. That's just classic. How about we get rid of child labor laws and get some 12 years back into the workforce?!?![/QUOTE]
They were working until the city shut down their lemonade stands.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes.[/QUOTE]

I have been posting here for almost a decade (god save us all) and I will never get used to the staggering persistent stupidity.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes.[/QUOTE]

Okay. I'll agree. To be honest, I hadn't had a chance to read the source article, as I was posting from my phone during some down time. I didn't think a politician would be stupid enough to post something that repulsive. I really thought it'd be some kind of stupid "cutesy" thing.

So, yes, it was much worse. One doesn't excuse the other, though.

Something occurred to me earlier while reading an article on Yahoo. Bob, knoell, ego etc., are basically our Yahoo commenters. You could pluck a random comment from a Yahoo article, and most likely it will sound just like something they'd post.

[quote name='UncleBob']Okay. I'll agree. To be honest, I hadn't had a chance to read the source article, as I was posting from my phone during some down time. I didn't think a politician would be stupid enough to post something that repulsive. I really thought it'd be some kind of stupid "cutesy" thing.

So, yes, it was much worse. One doesn't excuse the other, though.[/QUOTE]

Whose sig, and which stereotype?

[quote name='Clak']Something occurred to me earlier while reading an article on Yahoo. Bob, knoell, ego etc., are basically our Yahoo commenters. You could pluck a random comment from a Yahoo article, and most likely it will sound just like something they'd post.[/QUOTE]

And you, doh, msut, etc sound just like any random commenters on any of the left leaning sites. What's your point? Try the being Liberal facebook page. To quote you, its "hilarious".;)

So maybe a hundred yards with a man-sized target using a moded AR with what appears to be Dot Scope. He'd almost have to try not to hit the targets.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n..._texasplantthatblewupcarried1mpolicy.html?c=r

The Texas fertilizer plant that exploded last month, killing 14 people, injuring more than 200 others and causing tens of millions of dollars in damage to the surrounding area had only $1 million in liability coverage, lawyers said Saturday.

"It's rare for Texas to require insurance for any kind of hazardous activity," he said. "We have very little oversight of hazardous activities and even less regulation."

Who's going to pay for the millions in difference between the damage done and the damages due to victims and their families when the company has such paltry coverage?

Would love to hear the (a) defense of this or (b) the defense of deregulation efforts from all y'all "Libertarians" on the board here.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n..._texasplantthatblewupcarried1mpolicy.html?c=r

Who's going to pay for the millions in difference between the damage done and the damages due to victims and their families when the company has such paltry coverage?

Would love to hear the (a) defense of this or (b) the defense of deregulation efforts from all y'all "Libertarians" on the board here.[/QUOTE]

Look this is the free market, now people can make a statement with their wallets and choose not to buy products made at this fertilizer plant :roll:

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n..._texasplantthatblewupcarried1mpolicy.html?c=r

Would love to hear the (a) defense of this or (b) the defense of deregulation efforts from all y'all "Libertarians" on the board here.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure that somehow the free market will take care of that.

Who's touting total deregulation? Unfortunately, a lot of humans are jerks. The article doesn't mention how much money and other assets that the company has. LLC's and the like are used to skirt responsibility at times, but the system SHOULD allow for the injured parties to be compensated with what the company has in any form. I'm not happy with our current bankruptcy laws. A company can dissolve and reform very quickly under a different name, having no responsibility to its former debts. Criminal....

I did see this link in your posted story. http://stopthetaxattack.org/2013/04/17/the-energy-tax-bill-in-honor-of-tax-week/

How can oil companies pay $3 in taxes for every $1 of profit, and not be considered overtaxed? Are these figures correct? I thought some of the major oil companies were able to bring their tax burden to below 10%? Too many lies, wayyy too much bureaucracy, and nooo transparency. I think a new tax system is totally in order.

You know what kills me about that? Despite so much parroting by the right of "get gubment out of *insert thing here*", a good number of them would probably be fine with what Smith is proposing. Funny, huh?

Question is what caused the blast, human negligence or fault of the company for not following proper safety protocols? If the company is at wrong here than I am sure the lawyers will get a nice chunk of compensation in the courts. I do not know why you liberals keep insisting on bring up issues of deregulation when the issue at hand should be focus on law.

To IRHari and especially Clak, please stop making useless comments if you have nothing substantial to say. You are only polluting the section in which we are supposed to have good and insightful debates.

Nothing substantial, "you liberals". The focus "on the law" is missing the point anyway, it might have been perfectly legal for them to be self insured to the tune of 100,000 dollars (people pay good money for laws like that all the time). The point is whether it is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Msut77']Nothing substantial, "you liberals". The focus "on the law" is missing the point anyway, it might have been perfectly legal for them to be self insured to the tune of 100,000 dollars (people pay good money for laws like that all the time). The point is whether it is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not a good idea, question is how did we get there? Corporations lobby the government and put their own into key positions. Regulations will not help if the system is broken or too corrupted.

[quote name='Msut77']Your "argument" is that weakening the state would prevent this from happening?[/QUOTE]

You say weakening, I say making it more transparent.

[quote name='Msut77']You say it, that doesnt mean it is true or even makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Then you have a long way to go before understand the government and its workings. Good luck.

bread's done
Back