CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you are just confusing me...
I don't know if you're being sarcastic about people being excited. I didn't see people's reactions to it in the thread. It seems to me the Vampire publisher has come around to seeing how much money they can make from sales and will continue to do so.

Also I passed on the Vampire: The Masquerade on the Halloween sale. Is it known for going just as cheap during the christmas sale?
It used to be a rare sale game, but in the last year or so it's turned up 75% off in every major sale.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic about people being excited. I didn't see people's reactions to it in the thread. It seems to me the Vampire publisher has come around to seeing how much money they can make from sales and will continue to do so.

Activision is the pub, so I don't know that I would read too much into how much they've learned..

Hopefully not.

photo-thumb-309236.png

I swear I'd been waiting for 75% off of Vampire Masquerade since at least last Halloween when people recommended it so I'm not sure about it going on sale so often as people say.  It was on sale on Amazon and Steam in close proximity this year, but that's all I recall.  Activision seems to do like one decent sale per franchise every year or two.  

My XCOM folder was 13.1GB before that 4GB update I was complaining about... and now it's 10.3GB afterward. :shock:

Apparently it updated a bunch of movie files to 1080p and also made them much smaller in file size.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I just remembered seeing a bunch of people happy to see it on sale with comments along the lines of "well it's about time", so I figured it wasn't a common occurrence.

Or maybe I'm just remembering Fox as multiple entities again :whistle2:k

PCGAMER

"I think it's fair to say that we've lost our way a bit in supporting Windows games," Spencer told ShackNews at an Xbox One preview event, deftly demonstrating his mastery of understatement. "But we're back."

"You'll see us doing more stuff on Windows, he said. "We probably have more individual projects on Windows than we've had in ten years at Microsoft Studios." It's a promising statement, although Microsoft seem to pop up every year or so to reaffirm their PC commitment, often with little result.

Spencer clarifies that he's talking about 'core' games, in contrast to the lighter, more casual line-up that launched with Windows 8's store. That said, one of the few Microsoft developed Xbox One games confirmed for PC, Project Spark, is a Windows 8 exclusive, which could be a crucial caveat to Spencer's comments.

Full Bore is the indiegamestand deal today! Only 1 dolla for a desura key and a steam key if greenlight which seems very likely since its a pretty popular indie game.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I just remembered seeing a bunch of people happy to see it on sale with comments along the lines of "well it's about time", so I figured it wasn't a common occurrence.

Or maybe I'm just remembering Fox as multiple entities again :whistle2:k

I don't know why we don't just go to the price tracker websites to put all this nonsense to rest.

According to the is there any deal site, Vampire Bloodlines was $4.99 recently at Amazon/Steam. Prior to that, it had been $4.99 at Gamestop in January 2013 (and I must have missed it) and before that it was $4.99 on Steam LAST Halloween.

So unless they are wrong, the game doesn't hit 75% but once or twice a year.

Warren, why have you never mentioned you were a D cup?
No, that's a random internet dude; I'm still in my training bra.

What he said.

Humble Store is cool and all, but it's got that months old problem, they don't accept payment in GabeN funbucks.
It's interesting that Humble has started pushing the store this week, but I always felt that having a store undermined the concept behind HB. Why pay $5-10 for one indie game as opposed to getting it in a bundle with 5-10 other games for $1? As an example, I've kinda expected Gunpoint to turn up in an HIB in the near future, but HB wants me to pay $5 for it now.

I don't think anyone really believes this. Hopefully Microsoft has a genuine understanding of what a hard sell this will be to gun-shy PC gamers who have heard these stories before. Maybe the next big thing in Windows gaming will be what we were promised GfWL would be when it was first discussed, but at this point I'm not sure what they could really do other than to partner with Valve in some way. As a platform, Windows is just fine but the Windows 8 Store looks like a step in the wrong direction and is filled with XBLA and phone crap that I wouldn't waste my time on if I were on a desert island and all I had were that and some charcoal and scraps of parchment. Disappointingly, even though the start button has returned in 8.1 (and IMO it makes a big difference), Microsoft shows every sign of doubling-down on its Windows Everywhere nonsense so I don't feel this bodes well for any future "gamer-friendly" initiatives on its part.

I don't think anyone really believes this. Hopefully Microsoft has a genuine understanding of what a hard sell this will be to gun-shy PC gamers who have heard these stories before. Maybe the next big thing in Windows gaming will be what we were promised GfWL would be when it was first discussed, but at this point I'm not sure what they could really do other than to partner with Valve in some way. As a platform, Windows is just fine but the Windows 8 Store looks like a step in the wrong direction and is filled with XBLA and phone crap that I wouldn't waste my time on if I were on a desert island and all I had were that and some charcoal and scraps of parchment. Disappointingly, even though the start button has returned in 8.1 (and IMO it makes a big difference), Microsoft shows every sign of doubling-down on its Windows Everywhere nonsense so I don't feel this bodes well for any future "gamer-friendly" initiatives on its part.
Well said.

I don't know why we don't just go to the price tracker websites to put all this nonsense to rest.
You're no fun :p

MS has seen Steam evolve over the years, and their answer is the whole app store. Bleh. Total failure on their part.
I think most would argue that is more a response to Apple's App Store than anything, which I guess could be said about most of Windows 8 as a whole.

I think most would argue that is more a response to Apple's App Store than anything, which I guess could be said about most of Windows 8 as a whole.
Not really. Look at OS X. It's basically what Windows 7 looks like, along with some Apple-exclusive eccentricities. While the App Store is, in some measure, an attempt to integrate apps across various iDevices, Apple hasn't really handled this concept much better than Microsoft. As an example, you've been able to buy ebooks from iTunes on your Macintosh for quite a while now, but only with the new OS update (Mavericks) can you actually read them on your computer. If you were foolish enough to buy an ebook on your Mac pre-Mavericks and you didn't have an iOS device, then all you could really do with it was admire its icon in your list of iTunes things that you own. What Windows 8 really represents in Microsoft's interpretation of this idea ("Windows Everywhere"), and it's a bit daft, to put it mildly. Windows phones will never corner the market on cell phones, so the idea of having the same interface on your phone and computer is a bit pointless; Apple will always hold the lion's share of that market unless it does something really dumb. The Surface and other Windows tablets do work well with the Win 8 OS, but that's because it's specifically designed to work well as a touch interface not because it represents some new and amazing hybrid technology between traditional mouse-and-keyboard and touchscreen interfaces (I mean, unless you call the fact that you can pull up the traditional Windows 7 interface with a few clicks a "hybrid" rather than a concession of defeat).

Designing games for a touchscreen interface requires a different set of ideas regarding how the user interacts with your product than designing games for use with recent-generation console controllers or kb+m. While it can lead to new and interesting forms of gameplay, it mostly just produces a lot of clones of the same basic five or six ideas (swipefest, how-fast-can-I-tap-things-that-flash-on-a-screen, drag this thing from here to there). This is where phone games tend to get bogged down in nonsense. The fundamental issue here is that if you're trying to build a game that is compatible with both a touchscreen interface and a traditional interface, you're going to limit yourself to a restrictive set of controls (or, if you're good, you may be able to design your way out of this box with nested menus, but eventually that just becomes a nightmare of tedium), which means you're limited to basically making casual games that have an inherently-limited appeal. If Microsoft wants to funnel gamemakers in the direction of producing only things that will work both on tablets/phones/XBOXes and on PCs, based on what I'm seeing, it's going to stifle innovation and reduce the number of interesting games that are available to PC gamers. Ironically this may drive more PC gamers to consoles--if Microsoft is able to lock down future versions of Windows to exclude any other kinds of games. If not, people will probably largely ignore MS the way that people generally ignore the Windows Store now.

Not really. Look at OS X. It's basically what Windows 7 looks like, along with some Apple-exclusive eccentricities. While the App Store is, in some measure, an attempt to integrate apps across various iDevices, Apple hasn't really handled this concept much better than Microsoft. As an example, you've been able to buy ebooks from iTunes on your Macintosh for quite a while now, but only with the new OS update (Mavericks) can you actually read them on your computer. If you were foolish enough to buy an ebook on your Mac pre-Mavericks and you didn't have an iOS device, then all you could really do with it was admire its icon in your list of iTunes things that you own. What Windows 8 really represents in Microsoft's interpretation of this idea ("Windows Everywhere"), and it's a bit daft, to put it mildly. Windows phones will never corner the market on cell phones, so the idea of having the same interface on your phone and computer is a bit pointless; Apple will always hold the lion's share of that market unless it does something really dumb. The Surface and other Windows tablets do work well with the Win 8 OS, but that's because it's specifically designed to work well as a touch interface not because it represents some new and amazing hybrid technology between traditional mouse-and-keyboard and touchscreen interfaces (I mean, unless you call the fact that you can pull up the traditional Windows 7 interface with a few clicks a "hybrid" rather than a concession of defeat).

Designing games for a touchscreen interface requires a different set of ideas regarding how the user interacts with your product than designing games for use with recent-generation console controllers or kb+m. While it can lead to new and interesting forms of gameplay, it mostly just produces a lot of clones of the same basic five or six ideas (swipefest, how-fast-can-I-tap-things-that-flash-on-a-screen, drag this thing from here to there). This is where phone games tend to get bogged down in nonsense. The fundamental issue here is that if you're trying to build a game that is compatible with both a touchscreen interface and a traditional interface, you're going to limit yourself to a restrictive set of controls (or, if you're good, you may be able to design your way out of this box with nested menus, but eventually that just becomes a nightmare of tedium), which means you're limited to basically making casual games that have an inherently-limited appeal. If Microsoft wants to funnel gamemakers in the direction of producing only things that will work both on tablets/phones/XBOXes and on PCs, based on what I'm seeing, it's going to stifle innovation and reduce the number of interesting games that are available to PC gamers. Ironically this may drive more PC gamers to consoles--if Microsoft is able to lock down future versions of Windows to exclude any other kinds of games. If not, people will probably largely ignore MS the way that people generally ignore the Windows Store now.

You've passed your dissertation defense. You will be awarded a fancy robe with puffy sleeves, and color neck garb during the graduation ceremony, also known as Steam Sale 2013.

I'm clearly missing something here, since I was just saying the Windows Marketplace was less a response to Steam than it was to other app stores. Or at least that's what I meant to say, and it seems something was lost between my head and the keyboard :dunce:
I agree that the Windows Store is not a response to Steam. I don't think we've seen Microsoft's post-GfWL response to Steam yet, but I'm betting that it won't be very good.

dungenland goes f2p woohoo what next showdown go i hate f2p with passion espicaly game switching after being paid. that two games goes f2p 

I'm clearly missing something here, since I was just saying the Windows Marketplace was less a response to Steam than it was to other app stores. Or at least that's what I meant to say, and it seems something was lost between my head and the keyboard :dunce:
damn ur nuts i meant ur food nuts nope i mean damn sasha grey spanking u making u loco

I agree that the Windows Store is not a response to Steam. I don't think we've seen Microsoft's post-GfWL response to Steam yet, but I'm betting that it won't be very good.
Ye of little faith, just wait until you see the wonders of Windows One Games: a menagerie of SecuROM, Tages, and Capsule for added protection that connects you to other gamers like never before for the low low price of $59 a year! :p

Bundlestars has a who's-who list bundle of terrible FPS Steam games for cheap: 

The Ship: Complete Pack

Legendary

Shattered Horizon

Section 8

Dino D-Day

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold

$2.99

Legendary

Shattered Horizon

Section 8

Dino D-Day

$2.99
Bought because i'm a bundle junkie.

Also: When adding The Ship, you receive 2 (two) Steam Gifts of "The Ship - 2 Pack Gift" which apparently includes 2 (two) copies of the Single Player version of The Ship. If I did my math correctly, that means I now have 18 copies of The Ship.

I always thought Shattered Horizons looked kind of interesting...

I did, way back in the day, try the Section 8 demo on the 360... Some interesting concepts but the learning curve seemed really steep and/or people had far too much shields/health.

Legendary

Shattered Horizon

Section 8

Dino D-Day

$2.99
Way too many dead multiplayer games. There's only 2 games that are singleplayer focused..

Of course.. I have all but Sniper Ghost Warrior, but even if I didn't, I don't think it's worth $2.99..

Bought because i'm a bundle junkie.

Also: When adding The Ship, you receive 2 (two) Steam Gifts of "The Ship - 2 Pack Gift" which apparently includes 2 (two) copies of the Single Player version of The Ship. If I did my math correctly, that means I now have 18 copies of The Ship.
Just don't buy it twice.

Midweek Madness:

Defiance (-50%) $9.99 $4.99

+ Deluxe Edition (-50%) $29.99 $14.99

+ Deluxe Edition Upgrade (-50%) $19.99 $9.99

Lost Planet 3 (-50%) $49.99 $24.99

⤷ Survival Pack (-50%) $4.99 $2.49
⤷ Assault Pack (-50%) $2.99 $1.49
⤷ Freedom Fighter Pack (-50%) $2.99 $1.49
⤷ Punisher Pack (-50%) $2.99 $1.49
⤷ Map Pack 1 (-50%) $4.99 $2.49
⤷ Map Pack 2 (-50%) $4.99 $2.49