CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Deal - CastleStorm (66% off) at $3.39.

Weekend Deal - Torchlight II (75% off and free weekend) at $4.99

Weekend Deal - Godus (50% off) at $9.99

This is something else...What happens when Borderlands meets Left 4 Dead?

cov_250_l.jpg

Evolve-4.jpg

Steam is down for me right now.

"DNS Solution Yahoo Error Handler" Stupid stealth third party extension installs.

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to store.steampowered.com

Back on topic, the new season of Sherlock is fantastic. S3E1 is almost my favorite episode, having just barely lost to S2E1, A Scandal in Belgravia. You guys should all watch it online. ;)

Yeah, I'm playing it now. I knew Bit.Trip 2 was easier, but I wanted to try the first before playing 2 to see if it was worth playing. First game is only worth playing if you're into hardcore platformers.
Or even merely challenging and checkpoint laced ones with unlimited lives. At least go beat Octor Freud... I'm not saying Gurglewocky, just Octor Freud. (on normal) ;)

Yeah, BTR1 didn't grab me as much as I wanted it to.

With that, my New Year's Resolution (which I count from birthday to birthday, and is next week) is to go a year without buying a single new game or accepting any free games from anyone else.
See you in 2015! (I no way to can stick to that and hang around these enablers.)

I am still waiting for a Humble Weekly Gaijin Games to get all my Bit.Trip games. :pray:
You actually really want all of them? (when you own none)

For the record yes, Runner 1 is extremely difficult and I wouldn't recommend it to those who aren't OK with doing a lot of trial and error. I personally love it and think it's very well designed, but would still advise most to simply skip to 2 since it is a better game and a lot easier to get into for less masochistic gamers.
You forgot, and prettier graphics. (Yeah, it makes a difference... there's a reason I have a $200 GPU.) I've played a bit of both and I definately prefer BTR2.

I am going to pick it up, just waiting for the average to drop abit more. It is just that I don't have a single Bit.Trip so I probably bite on the $6 tier to get everything.
Coulda gotten the BT Complete Pack from Jake for $6 back on the Winter Sale.

[quote name="Flowette" post="11430861" timestamp="1389292571"]But but but...

Lana Pulver.[/quote]

"I enjoyed spanking Benedict in Sherlock." - Lara

Which is funny, because she basically beats him with a riding crop.

article-1325609500252-0F540E0800000578-29612_466x310.jpg

They are like pokemons, gotta catch em all. :mrgreen:

I think I mentioned this before, that Complete Pack is still not completed, there is one more BT game (BT Flux) which will be coming to steam this year.

You don't know what fun is. :joystick:

For the record yes, Runner 1 is extremely difficult and I wouldn't recommend it to those who aren't OK with doing a lot of trial and error. I personally love it and think it's very well designed, but would still advise most to simply skip to 2 since it is a better game and a lot easier to get into for less masochistic gamers.
I disagree. When something barely feels like a "game" to me.. something is wrong. I think Bit.Trip 1 is missing a huge chunk of what makes a game, a game.. which is because of horrible design choices IMO. A lot of the time, it's not even the trial and error gameplay that bugs me.. it's the spacing between obstacles that's poorly managed. It's not forgiving at all when it comes to getting hit, or hitting something when you jump. This isn't just difficulty, the dev poorly managed the hit detection.

That's one major reason why Bit.Trip 2 is so much better. The dev took note of the poor design decisions and improved on them, although even Bit.Trip 2 has some flaws with hit detection.

I think I enjoyed Eryi's action more than Bit.Trip 1, because at least then I could laugh at the "game" lol. With Bit.Trip 1, it felt like work rather than play..

I think I enjoyed Eryi's action more than Bit.Trip 1, because at least then I could laugh at the "game" lol. With Bit.Trip 1, it felt like work rather than play..
That's exactly how I felt with Bit Trip Runner 1!! I think this was one of the first games that made me honestly upset at my purchase (which is saying a lot), because I felt it was hyped to be some retro platformer... and yet it had no magic or ingenuity, and I felt it was hiding its horrible game design behind a retro aesthetic. I've played worse games, but I absolutely could not stand this game.

Thankfully, I gave BTR2 a chance and I enjoy it a lot more. Still nothing compared to the great platformers of 2013 (Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World), but still a good deal of fun.

http://www.gaugepowered.com/

Finally finished updating my purchases, and a few of the playtimes I knew were way off.

Took about 6 hours to track down all my purchases, bundles, gifts, winnings, etc. I'd say my final data is relatively accurate except for card idling has thrown off my playtime numbers for countless games I have never played.

Some insights:
Total cost: approx $800
Approx time played: 3600 hours
# of Games: approx 450 (not counting dlc or f2p)

Cost/hour of top 25 games by playtime: 10 cents an hour not counting TF2, 6 cents an hour counting TF2 (I played a ton of TF2, but also item idled a bit)

Est cost/hour of collection, discounting card farming: 18 cents an hour

Looking up past purchases was also incredibly insightful. Going back four years, I see purchases that make me cringe now. "I paid how much for that?!?" The growth of my library has practically been exponential since starting almost 5 years ago thanks to bundles and CAG and Steamgifts.

With that, my New Year's Resolution (which I count from birthday to birthday, and is next week) is to go a year without buying a single new game or accepting any free games from anyone else.
My resolution is similar. After the Amazon EC sale, no more games (except humble bundle and gifts) until Black Friday.

Well, I enjoyed BT1...as a music game.  Probably helps to think of it as that rather than a platformer.  I thought it was an enjoyable aesthetic experience.  Of course,  my reflexes suck, so I never got past the first world.

Well, I enjoyed BT1...as a music game. Probably helps to think of it as that rather than a platformer. I thought it was an enjoyable aesthetic experience. Of course, my reflexes suck, so I never got past the first world.
Nod. The platformer comparison was odd... it's a rhythm game... like a very rough prototype of Guitar Hero.

Or even merely challenging and checkpoint laced ones with unlimited lives. At least go beat Octor Freud... I'm not saying Gurglewocky, just Octor Freud. (on normal) ;)

Yeah, BTR1 didn't grab me as much as I wanted it to.

See you in 2015! (I no way to can stick to that and hang around these enablers.)

You forgot, and prettier graphics. (Yeah, it makes a difference... there's a reason I have a $200 GPU.) I've played a bit of both and I definately prefer BTR2.

Whispers: Who's Jake?

Nod. The platformer comparison was odd... it's a rhythm game... like a very rough prototype of Guitar Hero.
It's a rhythm platformer ;)

If that's not a platformer, then I don't know what is. The only difference is you're always running, and it has rhythm based gameplay, but still pretty much all of the same mechanics a platformer has.

I finished entering my custom prices into steamgauge, I was able to track down what I paid for every single item via paypal, email, cag PMs, Steam account page, and store account pages. There are probably some DLCs I've failed to account for but I did get a lot/most of them and will try to fill in the rest.

Not accounting for card idling my price per hour played is 63 cents. Average game cost is $6.69. Total cost of Steam library is 1117.19.

Cool site!

It's a rhythm platformer ;)

If that's not a platformer, then I don't know what is. The only difference is you're always running, and it has rhythm based gameplay, but still pretty much all of the same mechanics a platformer has.
I completely disagree. Although the presentation is different, it's functionally no different than hitting/dodging chords in Guitar Hero. You're always moving at a rate you don't control on a linear*-set course. That makes it different from a platformer (where you can stop to pick the flowers and often explore hey, what's over there? An endless runner would be an apt comparison but BT has the music thing...

*okay, not always stictly linear, you pedant

I completely disagree. Although the presentation is different, it's functionally no different than hitting/dodging chords in Guitar Hero. You're always moving at a rate you don't control on a linear*-set course. That makes it different from a platformer (where you can stop to pick the flowers and often explore hey, what's over there? An endless runner would be an apt comparison but BT has the music thing...

I guess you disagree with the dev too? Because that's what he calls it..

"BIT.TRIP RUNNER is the fastest, most exhilarating music/rhythm-platformer to hit Steam! Race across the Moon, kicking down crystal walls and sliding under chomping moon-slugs!"

The "rhythm" aspect of the Runner games actually makes it harder for me.  I have zero luck trying to time my jumpage with the beat, and actually perform better if I turn the music off.  Have tried enough different control combinations to confirm that it's not input lag.  Maybe I need to upgrade my synapses.  They sell those on Amazon, right? 

The "rhythm" aspect of the Runner games actually makes it harder for me. I have zero luck trying to time my jumpage with the beat, and actually perform better if I turn the music off. Have tried enough different control combinations to confirm that it's not input lag. Maybe I need to upgrade my synapses. They sell those on Amazon, right?
Yeah the game isn't heavily dependent on the rhythm aspect. It's more of a gimmick than anything. You could play the game with music off and it probably wouldn't affect how good you are at the game much.. or at least it doesn't for me.

However, I can confirm that the game is better played with vsync off, it decreases the input lag and is somewhat noticeable.

Yeah the game isn't heavily dependent on the rhythm aspect. It's more of a gimmick than anything. You could play the game with music off and it probably wouldn't affect how good you are at the game much.. or at least it doesn't for me.

However, I can confirm that the game is better played with vsync off, it decreases the input lag and is somewhat noticeable.
Which unfortunately diminishes the game substantially... I can say that with the sound off, I'd certainly be better off playing a different game.

If Bit.Trip Runner is a platformer, then Elite Beat Agents is a life sim because the graphics behind the music gameplay show stuff happening to people.

They are like pokemons, gotta catch em all. :mrgreen:

Never heard of them.

I finished entering my custom prices into steamgauge, I was able to track down what I paid for every single item via paypal, email, cag PMs, Steam account page, and store account pages. There are probably some DLCs I've failed to account for but I did get a lot/most of them and will try to fill in the rest.

Not accounting for card idling my price per hour played is 63 cents. Average game cost is $6.69. Total cost of Steam library is 1117.19.

Cool site!
One of the things I found is that DLC and expansions dont generate their own game time in Steam, which I expected. So I ended up rolling their cost into the base game, then deleting the entries from the main game list. ie PinballFX2 is one entry, and I adjusted its price up to account for the total cost of it + DLC, then clicked the "x" to move each DLC to the ignore list.

Yeah the game isn't heavily dependent on the rhythm aspect. It's more of a gimmick than anything.
I disagree, the way obstacles are timed to the music is what I love about the game. It's not random like endless runners, each is deliberately placed to coincide with a note or beat and timing them together is how you manage to progress. I've already said that I am a huge fan of rhythm/music games, and I would certainly count Runner 1 among them.

If you can't get a grip with the rhythm, or simply don't like games of that nature, then yes it will be a complete chore and extremely tedious. I for one love that style of play, which is why I had a blast with the five plus hours I put into Runner, which is far more than most games I play as of late.

One of the things I found is that DLC and expansions dont generate their own game time in Steam, which I expected. So I ended up rolling their cost into the base game, then deleting the entries from the main game list. ie PinballFX2 is one entry, and I adjusted its price up to account for the total cost of it + DLC, then clicked the "x" to move each DLC to the ignore list.
Cool, I found that very few games listed the DLC separately. For the ones that did, I put the price for each one and for the ones that didn't, I added the price to the main game. From what you're saying, I should change mine cause that makes more sense, it calculates cost per hour more accurately.

I disagree, the way obstacles are timed to the music is what I love about the game. It's not random like endless runners, each is deliberately placed to coincide with a note or beat and timing them together is how you manage to progress. I've already said that I am a huge fan of rhythm/music games, and I would certainly count Runner 1 among them.

If you can't get a grip with the rhythm, or simply don't like games of that nature, then yes it will be a complete chore and extremely tedious. I for one love that style of play, which is why I had a blast with the five plus hours I put into Runner, which is far more than most games I play as of late.
These two get it. If you don't feel this way about the game, I would presume it's not really for you. The soundtrack plays an active role as a gameplay element, as opposed to true platformers where it sits passively in the background, adding atmosphere but nothing else. As a musician I really appreciate the synthesis. BT Runner looks like a platformer, and so it certainly doesn't hurt from a publicity standpoint to market it as such. I prefer to think of it myself as a whimsical music game.

Oh, and since no one has mentioned it yet, as you successfully avoid obstacles and pick up loot, you add new layers to the soundtrack. Thus you are in a way composing the music as you go. It's a music game.

These two get it. If you don't feel this way about the game, I would presume it's not really for you. The soundtrack plays an active role as a gameplay element, as opposed to true platformers where it sits passively in the background, adding atmosphere but nothing else. As a musician I really appreciate the synthesis. BT Runner looks like a platformer, and so it certainly doesn't hurt from a publicity standpoint to market it as such. I prefer to think of it myself as a whimsical music game.

Oh, and since no one has mentioned it yet, as you successfully avoid obstacles and pick up loot, you add new layers to the soundtrack. Thus you are in a way composing the music as you go. It's a music game.
I don't disagree that it's partially a music game, I just think the game design counteracts whatever synthesis there is to it, making the music less important than it should be. Why do you think I don't have issues with Bit.Trip Runner 2? Because it's not poorly designed. I can totally feel the music in both games, but it doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the gameplay to me. No matter how good you are at following the rhythm, at the end of the day it's a brutal game. The music implementation doesn't change that it's hard as fuck. The reason I like Bit.Trip 2 a lot more is because the platforming is fleshed out a LOT more, while retaining the music focus.

Yeah, the game probably isn't meant for me, but I don't think that's because it's a rhythm game, otherwise why do I like Bit.Trip Runner 2 lol.

I don't disagree that it's partially a music game, I just think the game design counteracts whatever synthesis there is to it, making the music less important than it should be. Why do you think I don't have issues with Bit.Trip Runner 2? Because it's not poorly designed. I can totally feel the music in both games, but it doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the gameplay to me. No matter how good you are at following the rhythm, at the end of the day it's a brutal game. The music implementation doesn't change that it's hard as fuck. The reason I like Bit.Trip 2 a lot more is because the platforming is fleshed out a LOT more, while retaining the music focus.

Yeah, the game probably isn't meant for me, but I don't think that's because it's a rhythm game, otherwise why do I like Bit.Trip Runner 2 lol.
Fair enough. I also liked the second much better. Like I said, I didn't get very far into the first one before deciding it was far too difficult for me. I liked the concept though, enough that when I saw the preliminary reviews for the second one I got quite excited and bought it the first time it went on sale ($11.24, ouch!!!).

Just wanted to agree with posters saying that Bit.Trip.Runner is first and foremost a rhythm game that happens to look like a platformer. I remember watching this video a long time ago, but check out a blind gamer playing through the game by only listening for cues in the music.
That's impressive. He does miss a bunch of gold though, so obviously playing it purely based on the music is probably a bad idea (unless you're blind.. of course). It's pretty cool that he finished those levels based on the music alone.

I agree with everyone that BTR (and all the BT games really) are more rhythm than platformer, but that doesn't hide the fact that I now have an intense hatred for the first game that transcend genre.

I actually quite like rhythm games (my most played PSP game is probably DJ Max, though Technika Tune hasn't grabbed me in the same way on the Vita), but I didn't feel that BTR1 was all that responsive even from a rhythm standpoint.

I'd rather play Sequence, for all its grindiness and sophomoric script, than BTR1 if I was in the mood for a rhythm game.  I still don't know why I beat that game... I played those Ronnie Jenkins songs 100 times sigh...

I agree with everyone that BTR (and all the BT games really) are more rhythm than platformer, but that doesn't hide the fact that I now have an intense hatred for the first game that transcend genre.

I actually quite like rhythm games (my most played PSP game is probably DJ Max, though Technika Tune hasn't grabbed me in the same way on the Vita), but I didn't feel that BTR1 was all that responsive even from a rhythm standpoint.

I'd rather play Sequence, for all its grindiness and sophomoric script, than BTR1 if I was in the mood for a rhythm game. I still don't know why I beat that game... I played those Ronnie Jenkins songs 100 times sigh...
^_^ I don't think anyone here is proposing that BTR1 is a good rhythm game... It was a big letdown for me, after hearing the hype about it (and from some music students) and getting it in HIB...

I might as well address one of Spoder's points too... BTR1 (and 2) is quite punishing since if you miss an obstacle-jump/duck/kick it sends you back to the start/checkpoint-w/score-penalty. This sets it apart from the usual diminished-score penalty of rhythm games. Clearly they chose to make it hard instead of having you stumble when missing an obstacle-dodge.... a choice that diminishes it's casual appeal and increases it's hardcore appeal. It's not a tradeoff for everyone but it has it's fanbase. Not dissimilar to the split over Dark Souls is hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back