CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's odd that the GOTY edition is on sale at 66% off but the regular version is 50% off. Gamefly is supposed to have dishonored for the same price tomorrow, but they also have an additional 20% off coupon.
Looks like it was an error on their part. The GOTY is now set at 40%. Wish I'd grabbed it up before they fixed it.

If building a new rig, I see no reason not going to 8.1. It's not without it's learning curve in the new UI, however. Not much of of difference to the average user beyond the UI.
But, what about running older games?

You can't just shut off Aero crap in Win 8, right?

You can turn off Desktop Composition & Disable Visual Theme (Aero crap) and other things in Win 7 - namely to get games from Win XP era and older running properly?

You do so need to do this, to get Sacred 1+2 and some other games going on Win 7 64-bit.

EDIT:

There's a more expensive version of Win 8 w/ the XP shell built in, right?

Which version was it?

Half my wishlist doesn't even have a discount yet, curse you LEGO Star Wars!

On the plus side, Wizardry 8 is already 75% off so that will be at least one purchase for me.

Half my wishlist doesn't even have a discount yet, curse you LEGO Star Wars!

On the plus side, Wizardry 8 is already 75% off so that will be at least one purchase for me.
Has anybody bought Wizardry 8 on Steam?

If yes - can that game be ran w/out Steam going straight from the actual game-folder?

I'm VERY picky about old-games - those can be problems on modern-OS's. It's often necessary to disabling Aero crap to get them to even run or boot.

Also - sometimes, easier to mod the life out of them w/out any CEG built around it.

I should check the DRM-FREE games on GOG list.

One day Brother in Arms pack will be 75% off ... although I'm starting to not care anymore ..

Startopia has -60%, will probably pick that up near the end of the sale if it doesn't get more of a sale.

Rise of Venice -66% ... Out less than 2 months ...

Hmmmm...wondering if I should jump on Skyrim core game at 7.50 and see if the DLC gets a deeper cut later.  Been really wanting to play it.  I would LOOOOOVE to see a good sale on the two Baldur's Gate EEs.

You can turn off Desktop Composition & Disable Visual Theme (Aero crap) and other things in Win 7 - namely to get games from Win XP era and older running properly?
You do so need to do this, to get Sacred 1+2 and some other games going on Win 7 64-bit.
What exactly do you count as "Aero crap"?

Which version was it?
I don't think so.

Hmmmm...wondering if I should jump on Skyrim core game at 7.50 and see if the DLC gets a deeper cut later. Been really wanting to play it. I would LOOOOOVE to see a good sale on the two Baldur's Gate EEs.
The Legendary edition is definitely worth it. The Solstheim DLC was fantastic along with Dawnguard. I'd say if you are going to get Skyrim at all, you should just go for the Legendary pack at this point. I am starting to doubt that the stand-alone DLC will ever go below the GOTY version, which happened to Fallout 3 for a while.

Just looking at some of the cheap games on sale and I don't own either Fieldrunners.  Is it worth getting both or is 2 just more of the same?

What exactly do you count as "Aero crap"?
In Win Vista and Win 7 - turning off Desktop Composition and Desktop Visual Themes in the properties will disable all of the Aero graphical stuff M$ introduced into their OS's with Vista.

In Win 8 - IIRC, there ain't a way to turn-off Desktop Comp & Visual Themes.

The Aero stuff is one major thing that is known to give older games (WIn XP and below) a hard-time from running properly - Sacred1+2 are notorious for this issue. In Vista and 7, turning the Aero stuff off can often be the solution to just get an older game running - like Sacred 1+2.

But, what about running older games?

EDIT:
Which version was it?
I haven't heard of anything that will run on W7, but not on W8. And maybe you're thinking of 8.1 in that it brought back the 'Start' button, sort of. I currently use W7, so I'm not a W8 fan by any means, but have used it enough that I can pseudo recommend it for a fresh build.

I haven't heard of anything that will run on W7, but not on W8. And maybe you're thinking of 8.1 in that it brought back the 'Start' button, sort of. I currently use W7, so I'm not a W8 fan by any means, but have used it enough that I can pseudo recommend it for a fresh build.
Oh, nothing a Google search can't solve.

Ways to get XP going on Win 8 and other things.

EDIT:

I'm still on Win 7 (64-bit), myself.

No intentions of moving to Win 8 anytime soon what-so-ever.

The Legendary edition is definitely worth it. The Solstheim DLC was fantastic along with Dawnguard. I'd say if you are going to get Skyrim at all, you should just go for the Legendary pack at this point. I am starting to doubt that the stand-alone DLC will ever go below the GOTY version, which happened to Fallout 3 for a while.
FWIW, I agree with this. Skyrim's been floating around the cloud for a while and we haven't seen much in the way of discounts on the standalone DLCs. I picked up Hearthfire at $2.50 a while back, but 50% is the best I can recall seeing. So if you're wanting to pick up Skyrim, I'd either wait until you can afford the LE or get the LE now.

I'll just add that Skyrim is probably the best ES RPG that Bethesda has done for my money. Oblivion was dull and annoying but Bethesda appears to have taken what it learned from the new Fallout series and applied it to Skyrim and it shows. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Speaking of Skyrim, I ran across a humorous Hearthfiire glitch the other day. I went back to my house and a bandit told me that my wife had been kidnapped and was being held for ransom. Being the calm guy that I am, I shot her to death and then started working on getting some building materials together. When I re-entered the house, I got a message stating that I had "Completed: Rescue Aela the Huntress from Darkstone Cave."

In Win Vista and Win 7 - turning off Desktop Composition and Desktop Visual Themes in the properties will disable all of the Aero graphical stuff M$ introduced into their OS's with Vista.

In Win 8 - IIRC, there ain't a way to turn-off Desktop Comp & Visual Themes.
I asked for a list because some people think of Aero as just being the glass effect (which 8 doesn't have.)

The only problem I had like this was with Zoo Tycoon 2. It worked under Windows 7 but it would crash after a few minutes every time under 8, which sucked. :whistle2:(

Since they cocked up ZT2 for me, MS needs to get off the stick and port that new ZT game to PCs--and it better not suck, BG!

The only problem I had like this was with Zoo Tycoon 2. It worked under Windows 7 but it would crash after a few minutes every time under 8, which sucked. :whistle2:(

Since they cocked up ZT2 for me, MS needs to get off the stick and port that new ZT game to PCs--and it better not suck, BG!
Sounds like W8 was doing you a favor. :)

I was looking at the Genesis games on Steam.

There's five packs of ten games - but only four of them are bundled together in a "cheap" pack. The fifth pack (with PS3+4, Streets of Rage 3, etc.) is sold separately. Sega refuses to bundle all five packs together.

And Toe Jam and Earl & its sequel are sold separately, at twice the price of all the other games (except the Sonic ones which are already horribly overpriced to begin with.)

I think I can wait until Sega bundles them on Amazon again in 2015.

Okay, I need some really bad games to give as stocking stuffers. I tend to gift my friends something they want and then a terrible game on top of it. Any ideas?

FWIW, I agree with this. Skyrim's been floating around the cloud for a while and we haven't seen much in the way of discounts on the standalone DLCs. I picked up Hearthfire at $2.50 a while back, but 50% is the best I can recall seeing. So if you're wanting to pick up Skyrim, I'd either wait until you can afford the LE or get the LE now.

I'll just add that Skyrim is probably the best ES RPG that Bethesda has done for my money. Oblivion was dull and annoying but Bethesda appears to have taken what it learned from the new Fallout series and applied it to Skyrim and it shows. I highly recommend it.
Might go ahead and get the LE then. I've played Skyrim a little bit and liked what I played. Much better than Oblivion, IMO. I loooooved Morrowind.

Might go ahead and get the LE then. I've played Skyrim a little bit and liked what I played. Much better than Oblivion, IMO. I loooooved Morrowind.
In fairness, I've spent very little time with Morrowind, but a lot of people say it's better than Oblivion in every conceivable way.

You're just begging for another Bad Rats comment, aren't you? :hot:
Bad Rats is the obvious choice. The horse game looks to be a nice contender too. That Fowl Play game is looking good as well. I'm a generous person, but I love to fuck with people too. So the more, the merrier.

I'm reeeaaaally considering Skyrim: Legendary. I've only played maybe the first 10 minutes of it on 360 and that's it. I told myself after Skyrim originally came out that I'd just wait for a GOTY. Now it's here and on sale. I probably won't get around to playing it for awhile but that's the cheapest I've seen it ever. Someone talk me out of it (or into it). $20 still seems like a lot for something I may not get around to playing much of right away.

I'm reeeaaaally considering Skyrim: Legendary. I've only played maybe the first 10 minutes of it on 360 and that's it. I told myself after Skyrim originally came out that I'd just wait for a GOTY. Now it's here and on sale. I probably won't get around to playing it for awhile but that's the cheapest I've seen it ever. Someone talk me out of it (or into it). $20 still seems like a lot for something I may not get around to playing much of right away.
Skyrim LE for $20 is totally worth it. Skyrim LE + mods = endless hours of gameplay.

Yeah, I know I'm not multiquoting enough today.

ZT is one of the only kinds of "tycoon" games I like, and I was building my own zoo and it was going to have dinosaurs and whales and deinosuchuses. . . . :bomb:
Bugger, I hope it works on my Win8, although I have Win7 on the comp still in case I need it. I have the complete collection, I love it. Also one of the people annoyed to see the new Zoo Tycoon as an Xbox exclusive ... for now at least. Let's hope it comes to PC >:E

For anybody who's sick of waiting for Call of Chthululululujlejlaji to go on a better than five dollar sale and sick of waiting....jakenome/krugozor can get it for 4 bucks.

Less than a day remaining in the Humble Weekly for Pinball FX2.

Gotta say, I dropped a buck thinking, eh, it's just a buck. Then I played a couple tables and am totally hooked.

I think I read somewhere that it also supports portrait mode monitor setups, has anyone tried this?

Skyrim LE for $20 is totally worth it. Skyrim LE + mods = endless hours of gameplay.
Played Skyrim Vanilla on the 360, clocked in 80+ hours, kinda burnt out, now looking to get back in. If you are an Elder Scrolls fan, I might recommend the (Elder Scrolls) Anthology (which is PC only), includes Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowwind, Oblivion and Skyrim (+ DLCs), also includes Steam keys for Morrowind/Oblivion GOTYs and Legendary Skyrim). Plus you get cool poster maps to hang on the wall of your parents basement. Tomorrow at 12:01am, Amazon is also going to have the ES Anthology on sale, hoping they match the Best Buy Price of $30 (tomorrow also, in store def, not sure about online). Anthology or bust for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back