CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Gentlemen mod and the speed fix, it just wouldn't stop running like shit with totally erratic fps, it was unplayable. Just glad it only cost me $1.

I tried Gentlemen mod and the speed fix, it just wouldn't stop running like shit with totally erratic fps, it was unplayable. Just glad it only cost me $1.
it cause u immature hypocrite really u say and then leave when i wasnt even chatting nice saying we immature ur immature runner. grow up snake eyes dont be hypocrite. i dont even use the s word much but just for u too much spanking by reon u butthurt headhurt

Be nice...
he fucking call me mr gorilla diaper so mature so rude aand then he run like bitch yo at least neuro mns are cool maybe someethin sellfish but mature ccool unlike nse join and leave theey stay for while theen leave aftler good chat party. i forget that not me he calll to none must call himself tebow snake eyes i se

So I finally beat The Novelist today.

I've been looking forward to this game for a while, as any game that forces the player to make difficult choices with some grounding in reality immediately piques my interest. Ever since getting married about a year ago, I've had to "grow up" and realize that my choices are no longer my own, and that I must think of the greater interest of my wife and family in general as we both make decisions together. Now as we get ready to give up our established jobs and prepare to move overseas for several years, where we hope to make new friends, raise any future children, and find new jobs, our choices become more and more crucial (and intimidating) than ever before. These feelings had me anticipating The Novelist even before I played a single minute.
So where are you moving to, and why? C'mon, spill it! Are you moving to Russia so you can get games on the cheap?!?

he fucking call me mr gorilla diaper so mature so rude aand then he run like bitch yo at least neuro mns are cool maybe someethin sellfish but mature ccool unlike nse join and leave theey stay for while theen leave aftler good chat party
you always kick me from your chats mr. maturity

typically my kicks involve me talking about me dating kelly kelly

I mean BJ Blank

it cause u immature hypocrite really u say and then leave when i wasnt even chatting nice saying we immature ur immature runner. grow up snake eyes dont be hypocrite. i dont even use the s word much but just for u too much spanking by reon u butthurt headhurt
he fucking call me mr gorilla diaper so mature so rude aand then he run like bitch yo at least neuro mns are cool maybe someethin sellfish but mature ccool unlike nse join and leave theey stay for while theen leave aftler good chat party. i forget that not me he calll to none must call himself tebow snake eyes i se
Keep your personal fights to PMs and not in this thread.

Be nice...
Well I did call him Mr Gorilla Diaper.

tumblr_mig2syf8bc1riu0vho1_400.gif

Did you get a chance/bother with SR2? I just started some SR3 with the wife and wondering if I should have done SR2 first. I heard the PC port was so poorly done it might not be worth trying (even with mods).
I played SR2 after SR3... it was awesome... I was able to tweak it to run at/above 30 FPS on my old GTX 260... Yes it's a bad port but it's a great game.

Did you get a chance/bother with SR2? I just started some SR3 with the wife and wondering if I should have done SR2 first. I heard the PC port was so poorly done it might not be worth trying (even with mods).

I took a chance and bought it for $1, couldn't get it to run properly. Don't waste your money.

To get the best experience with SR2 on pc, you have to install the comprehensive mod Gentlemen of the Row, which can be found at
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/

It really fixes up a lot of the limitations and bugs of the poor port, as well as adds a lot of new features and weapons. I played SR3 first, and going back to SR2 felt a little dated, but story-wise it is well worth the experience. Basically you see how the Boss becomes the Boss in the first place, and it is a lot more grounded.

Plus, one of the reasons to play SR2 is the Septic Truck side missions; basically you are driving a septic truck around town and spraying shit all over properties to devalue it for some sleazy real estate guy. Its so hilarious.
I never tried this mod--never heard of it before reading about SR2 post-finishing--but YMMV regarding whether it will run for you or not. I've read tons of people stating that they tried everything short of divine intervention to get it to work well on their systems but I bought a retail copy on clearance at Target 3-4 years ago for $8 and loved it. What CM said above is spot on too--Septic Avenger is the best. I was REALLY disappointed when I read they didn't carry it over into SRTT.

Well I did call him Mr Gorilla Diaper.

<gif>
I'm not exactly sure what kind of an insult this is, but it doesn't really sound that offensive. :whistle2:k

Braid. The granddaddy of pretentious puzzle platformers.
Strangely enough, I also finished Braid the day I finished The Novelist (I think the fact I'm moving to China has motivated me to work on my backlog as much as possible). I found many of the gameplay elements quite fun and clever, and I liked how it continued to introduce new puzzle elements continually throughout the worlds.

As for the story and metastory, it was ok... maybe it would have been better if most of it hadn't been spoiled for me by now, but whatever. Unlike some other games, I do believe Braid's gameplay can hold its own, whether or not I enjoyed the overall message.

Braid. The granddaddy of pretentious puzzle platformers.
If you ignored the pretentious blah-blah-blah, it was actually a pretty good game with some devious puzzles based on its varied time mechanics. I liked it.

I never tried this mod--never heard of it before reading about SR2 post-finishing--but YMMV regarding whether it will run for you or not. I've read tons of people stating that they tried everything short of divine intervention to get it to work well on their systems but I bought a retail copy on clearance at Target 3-4 years ago for $8 and loved it. What CM said above is spot on too--Septic Avenger is the best. I was REALLY disappointed when I read they didn't carry it over into SRTT.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of an insult this is, but it doesn't really sound that offensive. :whistle2:k
do u need to hit u with stel chair it is offensive more offensivee than callling me mr aj diaper tho neo now aj diaper im lone wolf

Damn, I've been away from CAG for 9 days and after reading 9 of 72 missed Steam thread pages I gave up. Keeping up with the Steam and Amazon threads can be quite time consuming. Props and :grouphug: to those who can and have, for you are far better than myself :bow:.

Manged to pick up SW:JK Collection via mobile though, I was super happy about that :D.

I guess this means I'm back on the wagon again.

Damn, I've been away from CAG for 9 days and after reading 9 of 72 missed Steam thread pages I gave up. Keeping up with the Steam and Amazon threads can be quite time consuming. Props and :grouphug: to those who can and have, for you are far better than myself :bow:.

Manged to pick up SW:JK Collection via mobile though, I was super happy about that :D.

I guess this means I'm back on the wagon again.
from jake ? or by ur own money where did u go mysterd miss u hehe nse neeed ur help how to be true mature and blahs

In a game that prides itself on difficult decisions, I can give one clear recommendation on choice:

Don't get this game.
Thank you for your impressions: I knew nothing of this game before looking at you playing it on Steam, and then immediately placed it on my wishlist 'cause it echoed with some of the daily struggles I have in my life, like most of us "grown up" gamers (as I presume was the programmers' explicit intent).

I was ready to stomach its pseudo-Sim-esque graphics on behalf of a mature storyline riddled with hard and weighted choices, but you made it sound as if Mass Effect 3 and David Cage had a annoying son and so my emotional erection disappeared.

Now I'll be back waiting for a Gone Home CAG-approved (75% off or bust) discount.

Yep, I have SR2. As soon as it hit $20 (on Gogamer), I had to get it - I really dig those GTA type of games. Anyways, it certainly ran like garbage on my previous PC. Played the hell out of it. Never tried it on my current PC.

Played it w/out GOTR Mod. I don't think that mod was even out yet, back when I played that game.

Anyways, yes - I really liked SR2. It was a hell of a lot of fun and a pretty good game.

But let me say this now: for me, SR2 just ain't SR:TT.

SR:TT (SR3) was just something special, IMHO. Everything about it - from the new area here (Steelport) to just going bat-crap crazy w/ the game going way over the top in every single-way from tone, directions, story, characters, and everything - even WAY more so than SR2.

(Keep in mind, I ain't played SR1 - it wasn't ever on the PC)

I had a feeling they'd go further into the over-the-top and ridiculous w/ SR4, but really not to these kind of lengths - LMAO! SR4 goes even more over-the-top than I expected w/ its content, which I wasn't sure was even possible after SR3.

SR4 reuses A LOT of SR3 assets. I think that's the only thing here that I am not liking that much about SR4 (for a brand new game - especially one titled w/ a number here and sold at full new-game price upon release). It's hard to figure out what this game really is, content-wise. Is it a stand-alone expansion? Not sure. Not sure if when I'm said and done content and time-wise, if it'll feel just too big for that. Is it an stand-alone expansion-sequel? Maybe - b/c now we got super-powers and it changes entirely how you play the game completely (i.e. you barely DRIVE anything - you'll most likely start RUNNING around the game-world, somewhere w/in the first hour of the game once you get super-powers). Plus, those Blazin' races feel entirely brand new - and so does all of the new platforming stuff. Does it feel like a new entire game entirely? No, not really - Steelport itself and a lot of assets & stuff feels re-used, but there seems to be some new content here & there....

SR4 spoilers

...and most of that new content and areas seems to be in the main missions here - i.e. the hilarious COD-like and military-game parody/spoof intro; the flying a ship and "exit the space-ship" mission in a ship; the "Leave It To Beaver" spoof/parody ("Leave It to the Saints"); the new ship that reminds me of the Normandy in Mass Effect games; and that's for starters.

And BTW...all of that stuff I just mentioned in the spoilers, that new stuff was great. :D

How erratic were the framerates for you on your rig for SR2?

If it can wildly go into low digits - i.e. below 20 frames, bleh. :(

Even worse if it hits single digits. Not much you can really do, if you got those problems.

On my old PC, SR2 (unmodded) would never would hit above 30 frames - it could've been anywhere below that. Even some momentarily slow-downs put me at 10 frames (ewww!). Again - ain't tried it on my current PC (i7 950; 1 GB of GTX 560 Ti; Win 7 64-bit).

B/c if a framerate's erratic, but it always stays above 30 frames - if possible, that's when I've found it's best to lock it down to 30 frames per second period. Prototype 2, NFS: The Run, and NFS: Most Wanted 2012 drove me nuts w/ always having erratic framerates wildly b/t 30 frames to 60 frames - but if possible, locking a game to 30 frames can solve that problem entirely. Yeah, I know - 30 frames per second consistently ain't nowhere as great as having a game always around 60 frames consistently. I wish every game would strive for a solid and consistent 60 FPS - especially in PC versions.

Me too. Too bad Atari doesn't care and Eden Games no longer exists...
Yeah, no doubt.

AITD Reboot could've been good - if it actually got fixed-up and patched on the PC, like it should've been!

Even if they re-released Inferno Ed on PC and sold it - I probably would've gotten the re-release eventually (when it got dirt-cheap, since I had the original).

I miss Eden Games - since yeah, I certainly loved TDU2.

Strangely enough, I also finished Braid the day I finished The Novelist (I think the fact I'm moving to China has motivated me to work on my backlog as much as possible). I found many of the gameplay elements quite fun and clever, and I liked how it continued to introduce new puzzle elements continually throughout the worlds.

As for the story and metastory, it was ok... maybe it would have been better if most of it hadn't been spoiled for me by now, but whatever. Unlike some other games, I do believe Braid's gameplay can hold its own, whether or not I enjoyed the overall message.
You are going to need one of these if you are moving to the major cities in China, the air pollution over there is so bad that it looks like a scene from Silent Hill.

132099628_61n.jpg

How erratic were the framerates for you on your rig for SR2?

If it can wildly go into low digits - i.e. below 20 frames, bleh. :(

Even worse if it hits single digits. Not much you can really do, if you got those problems.

On my old PC, SR2 (unmodded) would never would hit above 30 frames - it could've been anywhere below that. Even some momentarily slow-downs put me at 10 frames (ewww!). Again - ain't tried it on my current PC (i7 950; 1 GB of GTX 560 Ti; Win 7 64-bit).

B/c if a framerate's erratic, but it always stays above 30 frames - if possible, that's when I've found it's best to lock it down to 30 frames per second period. Prototype 2, NFS: The Run, and NFS: Most Wanted 2012 drove me nuts w/ always having erratic framerates wildly b/t 30 frames to 60 frames - but if possible, locking a game to 30 frames can solve that problem entirely. Yeah, I know - 30 frames per second consistently ain't nowhere as great as having a game always around 60 frames consistently. I wish every game would strive for a solid and consistent 60 FPS - especially in PC versions.
It was definitely going below 30 and it was stuttering and the camera was jerking if I would spin it. It was just unplayable in that state. I haven't tried it on my new video card, it works with Darksiders 1 while the old card didn't... might be worth another try now but I don't really care about SR2 any more, I bought it before 4 came out cause I was having a hard time waiting. Maybe I'll try again and see.

One thing I remember is that they tell you to get the game into your Windows prefetch, which I wasn't able to do. I just don't want to deal with that headache again, not going to try it. Maybe in the future.

It was definitely going below 30 and it was stuttering and the camera was jerking if I would spin it. It was just unplayable in that state. I haven't tried it on my new video card, it works with Darksiders 1 while the old card didn't... might be worth another try now but I don't really care about SR2 any more, I bought it before 4 came out cause I was having a hard time waiting. Maybe I'll try again and see.
Not the post I should be quoting but I saw that post pages and hours ago so forgive me...

Anyhow, you talked about disconnection issues while in Co-Op... As far as I know this is an issues in all version of the game. The 360 was horrible about it. Especially around the airport and in cars.

So where are you moving to, and why? C'mon, spill it! Are you moving to Russia so you can get games on the cheap?!?
Haha, now that would be an interesting move. We were originally moving to Mongolia, which would be close... but they don't have a Steam Store :)

Thank you for your impressions: I knew nothing of this game before looking at you playing it on Steam, and then immediately placed it on my wishlist 'cause it echoed with some of the daily struggles I have in my life, like most of us "grown up" gamers (as I presume was the programmers' explicit intent).

I was ready to stomach its pseudo-Sim-esque graphics on behalf of a mature storyline riddled with hard and weighted choices, but you made it sound as if Mass Effect 3 and David Cage had a annoying son and so my emotional erection disappeared.
I still respect what The Novelist is trying to convey through its difficult decisions, but I often just want to yell at the computer and tell the family to actually TALK to each other, which would have removed a lot of the miscommunication. The fact that a "real life tough choices sim" type of game showed its true gamey colors so quickly really bothered me. The comparison to David Cage is a bit unfair though, as unlike any of his games, the script is actually decent. ;)

You are going to need one of these if you are moving to the major cities in China, the air pollution over there is so bad that it looks like a scene from Silent Hill.

132099628_61n.jpg
Oh boy, I'm going to have to carry a radio playing static with me at all times...

Not the post I should be quoting but I saw that post pages and hours ago so forgive me...

Anyhow, you talked about disconnection issues while in Co-O... As far as I know this is an issues in all version of the game. The 360 was horrible about it. Especially around the airport and in cars.
I don't think that was me. I didn't play Saints Row 2 in Co-op.

Solidshield ain't that bad. When you uninstall a game it automatically runs the deauthorization, and even tells you how many activations are in use/available. At least that's what it did with Saboteur. Way better than Securom.

Hmm, actually Saboteur uses Securom. I think what I'm referring to is an EA thing and not a Solidshield/Securom thing... the game behaved the same way as Hot Pursuit when uninstalling, and that uses Solidshield...

But anyway this was much nicer than most implementations of DRM I've experienced where you have to track down individual deauthorization tools, and if you uninstall the game without deauthorizing you've lost your activation, I hate that shit.

Solidshield ain't that bad. When you uninstall a game it automatically runs the deauthorization, and even tells you how many activations are in use/available. At least that's what it did with Saboteur. Way better than Securom.

Hmm, it's possible that Saboteur uses Securom instead and what I'm referring to is an EA thing and not a Solidshield thing... it behaved the same way as Hot Pursuit which uses Solid..
Yeah, Saboteur has SecuROM. Never known it to have SolidShield.

Amazon says its just got Origin... How do I look and find out?
All instances of Saboteur have SecuROM. It can also be activated on Origin, though it is not an "Origin" game on Amazon.

From the Origin store page...

FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD:
INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. THIS PRODUCT INCLUDES SECUROM DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGY FROM SONY DADC. FOR MORE INFORMATION, INCLUDING HOW TO UNINSTALL SECUROM, VISIT HTTPS://SUPPORT.SECUROM.COM/INDEX.HTML. EA MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE.

FOR PACKAGED PRODUCT:
ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. THIS PRODUCT INCLUDES SECUROM COPY PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY FROM SONY DADC. FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT HTTPS://SUPPORT.SECUROM.COM/INDEX.HTML. EA MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back