The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

I'd love to see more steam dedicated servers for other games... I think the only thing that bothers me about certain games is wondering how well the multiplayer is going to hold up down the line, don't like feeling forced to buy something new because the online community is phased out. I would assume dedicated servers would make it so that the online would last longer on most games?

[quote name='VGmnk']As far as the QotD goes, I'm not really well-informed enough about the subject, but thought I'd answer anyways:
I see it as the more options, the better...plus, this is assuming there is some form of VAC or anticheating software on there as well. I'm not a super heavy FPS player, so I haven't really experienced too many instances of cheating, but I have once in TF2, and it was quite frustrating (a cheating-bastard sniper)...which is funny, since it did have VAC on the server, but was caught by a mod after killing people for hours, and someone complained...but that point aside, I don't think there is a downside to having more options, unless its a secret move by steam to start charging for access to their servers, and somehow everyone started to depend solely on steam providing servers for games...[/QUOTE]

With PC Technology where it is (Linux, Windows and Mac) that won't be happening. Even now many of the games on STEAM can be played without it and yes you can also play them online. It would be foolish of them to go this route when there will always be choices to go elsewhere.

Mid week sale posted: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249635

Men of War games - any thoughts? They have demos I will try out. I see this at the store for 8 bucks new for the first one... 11 bucks for both on steam seems like a good deal, but I gotta play this one first to make sure it is not a run of the mill war shooter.

EDIT: Turns out it is Real Time Strategy game.. hmmm.. I like shooters more and still have Blitzkrieg on the back burner...hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']The Bioshock 2 pre-purchase offer is up. $45 and a free copy of Bioshock or if you do the 4-pack, $34 and a free copy of Bioshock (which you can gift to your friends).

Bioshock 2 on Steam[/QUOTE]

ooh snap.. effing sick. I'm game for a four pack. wish Bioshock 1 was 4x too lol. I guess whoever is the one that originally buys the four pack deserves the free copy =)

*edit* I'm unclear on if it's 4x Bioshock 1 or not.. either way price alone for 4 pack Bioshock 2 calls me @ $33.75

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I thought everyone in the 4 pack gets a free copy?[/QUOTE]

Everyone gets a copy of both. I might need 2 people for a 4 pack I'll be doing. If so I'll post back in this thread. Please don't PM me about it as my PM Box is close to full, thanks.

[quote name='jp0213']I'm working on trying to get a 4-pack together if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

totally dude. gift paypal at the ready =) shoot me a PM when ready so my email alerts me

I like that Bioshock 2 deal for the 4pack. Gonna see if I can sell this $25 gift card to gamestop to put that towards this deal

Didn't see this mentioned, but if you preorder the new Aliens Vs. Predator ($49.99) you get three exclusive skins and a copy of Universe at War: Earth Assault for free. Too bad no four pack for that one.

Uggggggggg! Front page updated with the longest most pain in the ass update ever! Think there were like 15 updates from yesterday mourning ;)

Yesterdays QotD
Do you like the idea or think its a bad idea for Valve to start creating steam servers for online games that are not Valves property. For instance the option if your playing on steam to just play on a steam server for Battlefield 2 or Madballs vs the developers dedicated server?

Today's QotD "Would you use steam on other platforms", assuming the other platforms are Mac OS Xand Linux, yes. In particular Steam seems like something that could take off reasonably well on the Mac.

Mac yup.

But only if Apple gets off it's Ass and gets the games ported over.

Really it's not all that hard to port games but for some reason they don't bother. Blizzard is the only company I can think of that always has a Mac Version/PC version on every copy you buy. I love that they let me install it on either platform without buying another copy.

As far as consoles, no. I am in the process of selling all of my non PC video game stuff (with exception to the PSP since I use it as an MP3 player lol), so I would have no need for it to be available on consoles.

It would be nice to have my games that are on STEAM on Linux. I think if they made a move like that though you would see a lot more MAC and LINUX gamers taking center stage. And that would have the BIG M putting is 'insert phallic reference here' into STEAM.

[quote name='Ryukahn']As far as consoles, no. I am in the process of selling all of my non PC video game stuff (with exception to the PSP since I use it as an MP3 player lol), so I would have no need for it to be available on consoles.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I got a PSP and Nintendo DSi - I never use them at all but the family that gave them to me made me promise that I won't smash them,donate them or sell them. I used the MP3 feature for abit on the PSP but I am neat freak and I hate how dirty the screen gets.

I tried to get my kids into them and they don't even like them. They are so use to the Netbooks.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If you could access steam games on other platforms do you think you would? By this I mean if you could access and play your steam games on your iphone, XBLA, PSN account or some other platform do you think you would?[/QUOTE]

Your questions make less and less sense, and get further removed from reality, with each passing day, it seems.

"If you could magically play all your console games on PC using STEAM would you do it?!?"

"If you could magically play all your PC games on your iPhone using STEAM would you do it?!?!?!?"

Steam has nothing to do with it, man.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Your questions make less and less sense, and get further removed from reality, with each passing day, it seems.

"If you could magically play all your console games on PC using STEAM would you do it?!?"

"If you could magically play all your PC games on your iPhone using STEAM would you do it?!?!?!?"

Steam has nothing to do with it, man.[/QUOTE]

A decent daily question is probably difficult to think of. Maybe it should be weekly instead.

[quote name='52club']A decent daily question is probably difficult to think of. Maybe it should be weekly instead.[/QUOTE]

*this*

Honestly its not easy coming up with a question every day...probably wouldn't be every week. Im content to run the topic without a QotD or even QotW, makes my life easier.

[quote name='MSI Magus']*this*

Honestly its not easy coming up with a question every day...probably wouldn't be every week. Im content to run the topic without a QotD or even QotW, makes my life easier.[/QUOTE]

Well, as with anything in life, things will be hit or miss. The OP does plenty of work to keep this thread going so whatever he prefers is fine by me, but I really don't think today's was a bad question at all.

I mean the question is quite valid as to whether a system like steam would even work on a console, whether linux users would be willing to pay for it, etc. etc. I mean the potential for discussion is there, seems people are more content spending their energy complaining than discussing.

Another answer for other platforms using Steam. The only other platforms Steam should be on is other computer operating systems like Mac OSX and Linux. Really thought I am just sticking with Windows.

MSI Magus, your questions are good, just post them when you think of them, and if anyone has suggestions, I'd imagine MSI would consider putting it up on the page....

Personally I'm just glad you've tried to keep this topic alive...and its been pretty active, so, good job so far

As far as the QotD goes, something like that would make XBox Live superfluous imo...I know that Xbox Live and Steam aren't exactly the same thing, but if you could get say, L4D2 on your steam-enabled xbox360 vs. your Xbox Live account, then thats not even a question which you'd prefer...not to mention I think steam has typically better deals on the same games that Live Arcade has--and much more. Although it would never happen, I guess the one good thing of that happening is that maybe Xbox Live would be a better service (cheaper prices, more selection).

I thought it was a fine question, and it's nice to stimulate discussion.

However, I think the most important work MSI does is all the updates. Whoo! That's a hell of a job in and of itself, and it's really handy. Steam would do well to provide such comprehensive updates.

Maybe the updates and sales and random jabber will be enough to provoke discussion without questions.

This thread is great, and MSI does a lot of work to keep it going.

I also don't think multiplatform Steam is really that unrealistic frankly...

How often would you like to see me clear excesse junk from the release/news list. For instance where I have new game releases/patches listed should I keep it up a month? Less? More?

[quote name='MSI Magus']How often would you like to see me clear excesse junk from the release/news list. For instance where I have new game releases/patches listed should I keep it up a month? Less? More?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you need more than 2 weeks, and 1 week might be enough. Steam is a lot more navigational friendly than say PSN or Xbox Live, so it is of more benefit for OPs of those threads to keep updates in the OP longer.

A little heads up/warning

"BioShock 2's DRM is none other than everyone's favorite SecuROM; we're getting unlimited activations on up to 5 PCs. Installing the game requires you to be connected to the Internet, while Games for Windows LIVE is needed for saving, Achievements, title updates, and online multiplayer." - Posted on Destructoid

[quote name='MSI Magus']A little heads up/warning

"BioShock 2's DRM is none other than everyone's favorite SecuROM; we're getting unlimited activations on up to 5 PCs. Installing the game requires you to be connected to the Internet, while Games for Windows LIVE is needed for saving, Achievements, title updates, and online multiplayer." - Posted on Destructoid[/QUOTE]

There is already a crack out for all of that.

I swear every time game makers do this it is like they are asking the 'priate' community to rape the game harder.

There is no DRM on the steam version of bioshock afaik, at least its not listed on the games page... i will most likely wait until next xmas sale, haven't really finished the first one either besides Mass Effect 2 & Bad Company are higher up on my list of games to buy. cmon Bc2 16-pack, that would so pwn.

[quote name='freddy_']There is no DRM on the steam version of bioshock afaik, at least its not listed on the games page... i will most likely wait until next xmas sale, haven't really finished the first one either besides Mass Effect 2 & Bad Company are higher up on my list of games to buy. cmon Bc2 16-pack, that would so pwn.[/QUOTE]

I just cant see grabbing it this close to the last steam sale. Iv got far too many games from the holiday steam sale to justify grabbing anything thats not either like 70% off or under $5(or better both!).

This may seem like a really stupid question, and I'm prepared for the repercussions, but what is everyone's problem with Securom? I'm not talking about the standard "lulz cuz Securom is evil" response. I would like at least a semi-intelligent explanation of all the hate.

True but i really really...REALLY want ME2 besides im having a friend gifting it to me so im not paying the European 40% extra so its like a discount for me XD.

Also thinking of grabbing the new AvP from play.com, just 24eur thats freakin cheap and afaik it uses steamworks, or at least it is possible to register the key to your steam acc so its all good. Now the question is... will i be able to actually finish the game...

[quote name='jp0213']This may seem like a really stupid question, and I'm prepared for the repercussions, but what is everyone's problem with Securom? I'm not talking about the standard "lulz cuz Securom is evil" response. I would like at least a semi-intelligent explanation of all the hate.[/QUOTE]

i guess looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securom would be a start.
Personally i cant say i had any problems, dont know if any of my games actually have securom.
My problem with DRM in general is that i want to know what im installing and what it does to my machine, not to mention that afaik securom is running all the time.

My knowledge of securom is pretty limited so someone else maybe have some more/other info.

edit: apparently gta4 has securom, I havent had any problem with it afaik. except for the chopper glitching on the last mission... but i doubt thats cause of securom.

[quote name='jp0213']This may seem like a really stupid question, and I'm prepared for the repercussions, but what is everyone's problem with Securom? I'm not talking about the standard "lulz cuz Securom is evil" response. I would like at least a semi-intelligent explanation of all the hate.[/QUOTE]

OK.

Let's say you buy this game and it has a 5 PC game limit. You install the game and play it. Now, fate forbid, your hard drive dies or you upgrade your machine. You now have to reinstall the game...You are now on your 2 of 5 game limit.

Say the game has a long life...mods, updates, TOTAL CONVERSIONS, MP Maps...

The longer the life of the game the more securom works against you.

In the end it comes to this....You are giving them MONEY for a product and they are saying you only have this product for a short time...meanwhile they keep your money permanently.

ON TOP of all of this, some sort of program is in the background taking up resources that can be better put to use towards your gaming.

On a side note, I think this generation of gamers (and those coming) are being conditioned to accept these type of limitations so that companies can have a great control of their product.

[quote name='freddy_']i guess looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securom would be a start.
Personally i cant say i had any problems, dont know if any of my games actually have securom.
My problem with DRM in general is that i want to know what im installing and what it does to my machine, not to mention that afaik securom is running all the time.

My knowledge of securom is pretty limited so someone else maybe have some more/other info.

edit: apparently gta4 has securom, I havent had any problem with it afaik. except for the chopper glitching on the last mission... but i doubt thats cause of securom.[/QUOTE]

See I've looked at the wikipedia article but I take pretty much everything in wikipedia with a grain of salt. I double this when it comes to anything that seems to be a polarizing subject. I've had games with securom and never had any problems.

[quote name='Megazell']OK.

Let's say you buy this game and it has a 5 PC game limit. You install the game and play it. Now, fate forbid, your hard drive dies or you upgrade your machine. You now have to reinstall the game...You are now on your 2 of 5 game limit.

Say the game has a long life...mods, updates, TOTAL CONVERSIONS, MP Maps...

The longer the life of the game the more securom works against you.

In the end it comes to this....You are giving them MONEY for a product and they are saying you only have this product for a short time...meanwhile they keep your money permanently.

ON TOP of all of this, some sort of program is in the background taking up resources that can be better put to use towards your gaming.

On a side note, I think this generation of gamers (and those coming) are being conditioned to accept these type of limitations so that companies can have a great control of their product.[/QUOTE]
I can understand this reasoning, but not the you buy a product and you have it for a short time. At least not completely anyway. In the beginning it seems that way but a lot of the companies that have had securom, that I've seen anyway, once the game hits a certain point they patch the securom out. Also, the ones with machine activation limits they have started doing the deauthorization tools so you are in control of how that works. Now your hard drive crashes that doesn't really work for you but if you know you are upgrading in advance the deauthorization tools are perfect for that scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a definitely not a huge supporter of DRM, but mainly in media files. I want to play them on any device. People have to protect their IPs more and more to keep up with the technology people are using to bypass. Do I use a lot of NoCD patches to not have to deal with stuff? Yeah, just because I prefer not having a disc in my drive/having 3rd party software open to play a game. Do these tend to bypass the securom items? Yeah, but that's not my main reason for doing it.

My issue normally is with a lot of the people complaining about securom, and I'm not including you in this but the general group of people who do complain, are people who were going to pirate it anyway and just want to have what they see as a legitimate excuse. Your explanation is definitely not one of those, and I can see some people's gripes with use of securom. A lot of the initial problems with Securom though have slowly been wiped out by patches from the developer, deauthorization tools and lifted install counts. I think it sucks that it has come to the point where developers have to use such tools to protect their product, which it rarely protects it that much, but I can't blame them for doing whatever they can.

Sidenote about Steam/Bioshock 2

[quote name='2K Elizabeth - 2KForums'][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Hey guys,

As many of you are aware, yesterday Steam's pre-purchase program began and the specs for BioShock 2 were posted along with that announcement.

These specs were taken from the retail packaging of BioShock 2. And since bullet points on the back of the box don't always explain the full story, here is a little more detail about what that means.

BioShock 2 is using a standard Games for Windows Live activation system, much like other games you have played in the past. That doesn't mean you always have to be online to play or save the game - you can create an offline profile for the Single Player portion of the game (you just won't earn achievements and you can't play Multiplayer, of course.)

We are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2. That is it's only use.

I am now checking the final plans for BioShock 2's specifications for Steam - and I'll get you a more complete answer by the end of the week. I have also been compiling a feature that will help answer a host of questions about BioShock 2 on the PC, including a podcast and screenshots of the PC version, and that should be out within a few days as well.

I'm sorry for the confusion, and I hope to clear it up entirely for you soon.

-Elizabeth [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[quote name='freddy_']There is no DRM on the steam version of bioshock afaik, at least its not listed on the games page... i will most likely wait until next xmas sale, haven't really finished the first one either besides Mass Effect 2 & Bad Company are higher up on my list of games to buy. cmon Bc2 16-pack, that would so pwn.[/QUOTE]

It's listed right on the bottom of the Bioshock 2 page under Other Requirements. Unless of course you are referring to the original Bioshock, in which case you are correct.

Edit - oh that would be great news if the Steam version does not have Securom, and they only got that info from taking it off the back of the box.

I was not going to quote all of that but...

If a company wants to really protect their IP there are most COST EFFECTIVE and less intrusive methods.

Personally, I think this is where the industry is going to be going anyway, in the future with products and systems like 'Onlive', 'GameTap', 'STEAM' and others.

A developer can go the route that MMORPGs have been doing for years. Give the customers a client that allows them to play their games but have the game itself be on servers - Even for single player content.

Now this is not for all companies as this model would not work but companies spending millions on IP protection can go this route and no only save money but give the customers a better choice for their products.

Shoot they can even charge a subscription fee to play their entire collection of games...

People will still gripe but in the end I think this is the move every company is going to make.

As for Securom and others like it...I've been without CDs/DVDs since 2004-ish. I don't even have a A drive, CD drive or DVD drive...so when and if I do buy a game retail...I just want the Code and authorize my already DL client.

I never dealt with that CD must be inside the drive nonsense...seems so counter intuitive. To me at least.

I agree 100%, there are much better ways of dealing with protecting their IP. Digital distribution is just gaining so much ground, that I do think that is where a lot of it will go. A lot of games that do have securom or other DRM in retail don't have it on services like Steam. There are some games that do have the 3rd Party DRM anyway, which is stupid considering Steam itself is it's own DRM for the most part. I think you are right though, no matter what people will gripe.

Not going to shoot for it today or even probaly this week....but I swear one of these days im going to sit down and shoot to break at least the top 500ish leader board on Red Nations Free Play mode.

Hey Jesse (or anyone else) great deal on Company of Heroes & its two expansions, easily one of the best RTS's in existance, for sale at only $12.50, if you haven't gotten it already
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1529/
and heck, just the original, easily worth it, is only $5 (as well as the first expansion which is also only $5)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back