The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='SEH']Lead and Gold was like $13 if you pre-ordered. I don't think it'll go down to $9.99 this soon. The game isn't really that great anyways. They've still yet to add dedicated servers, which they said would be implemented on the 5th of April. The player-base is also really small. I can jump on at 6PM and there will only be 30 people playing.[/QUOTE]

Truth, it's a damn fine shame. I really wouldn'tve minded if Fatshark just delayed the release but made it feel whole.

Just to reiterate, Maynard (CAG Steam group admin/mod) and I have a regular pool of people we play L4D2 with, so if you're interested in a fun, fair, non-ragetastic, mildly-competitive game, hit us up on Steemfrenz, kthxbai.

[quote name='dfg']Just to reiterate, Maynard (CAG Steam group admin/mod) and I have a regular pool of people we play L4D2 with, so if you're interested in a fun, fair, non-ragetastic, mildly-competitive game, hit us up on Steemfrenz, kthxbai.[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking about getting in on the LFD fun (LFDF?) - is 2 much better than 1? Are they both worth having?

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I have been thinking about getting in on the LFD fun (LFDF?) - is 2 much better than 1? Are they both worth having?[/QUOTE]

I'd say if you thoroughly enjoyed the first, go for the second. But if you were getting tired of the formula it's nothing new.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'd say if you thoroughly enjoyed the first, go for the second. But if you were getting tired of the formula it's nothing new.[/QUOTE]

I only played the demo of the first and liked what little I saw. I didn't know if it was worth it to invest in the first one, or if the second was comprehensive enough to skip it.

I personally think the first one is much better. The second one has crappy characters and they tried to make thing way to complicated with the additional new infected. I hate having the team spawn with a Spitter, a Jockey, a Charger, and one of the other OG infected. The new ones just get in the way in my opinion.

The first one had a more simple yet effective group of infected and the cast was much more likable.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I only played the demo of the first and liked what little I saw. I didn't know if it was worth it to invest in the first one, or if the second was comprehensive enough to skip it.[/QUOTE]

The second game is much better than the first. If you had to choose just one game to get, get L4D2.

If you can get both, go crazy, splurge, and get both.

I think there's a current deal on buying both, but not much of a discount (50 for both?). I've played a lot of both, and I agree that the first one got the mood right (better characters and spookier nighttime settings) but the mechanics on the second one are much improved. Another thing that some people might wanna take into consideration is that the mod community output for the games is not nearly as expansive as you'd expect from games this popular—there are only a handful of user-created maps worth playing for either 1 or 2.

Yeah, for the large amount of people that seemed to want the mod tools to come out and bitched that they took so long, the modding community is ridiculously small. Like dfg said, there are very few custom campaigns that are worth your time.

[quote name='SEH']Yeah, for the large amount of people that seemed to want the mod tools to come out and bitched that they took so long, the modding community is ridiculously small. Like dfg said, there are very few custom campaigns that are worth your time.[/QUOTE]

I think the wait time killed them. With other FPS coming out of the box with mod tools many of the fans that were credible mod makers moved on before the tools hit.

Last edited:
[quote name='Megazell']I the wait time killed them.[/QUOTE]

Think you accidentally a word.

The problem is that people want mod tools because they want awesome mods, not they want to make them. Everyone relies on everyone else.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Think you accidentally a word.

The problem is that people want mod tools because they want awesome mods, not they want to make them. Everyone relies on everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Not only that but I also think Left 4 Dead takes longer and requires more effort than a lot of other shooters to get a custom map/campaign working. I know a guy making a Left 4 Dead 2 map and he seriously spends most of his free time trying to get it perfect, and it's just one level out of a campaign.

I think Valve missed their chance. If they could have gotten the mod tools ready right in the middle of when L4D was at it's peak, there would have been a lot more mods made.

Interesting to see that the mod stuff sparked a bit of discussion.

So, the new DLC. I like it, but even at gutter-settings it makes my single-core system chug. Combined with the bloated new Steam UI, it's rather annoying.

The new features are not unbalancing (although I really wish I could reload the pig), and the mutation system is intriguing (curious about the other 5 variations), or at least a good hook to get people coming back to play regularly. Realism versus is quite brutal, even on familiar maps.

Changing the subject a bit, more often I find myself adding stuff to my cart but then not pulling the trigger. I think I missed my chance at the $5 Trine and Winterbottom. Last time I let something else expire...

I do like the addition of "Mutations". Realism Versus actually makes the Jockey useful. One guy in game last night said one of the other "Mutations" is going to be chainsaw only. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it sounds like it'd be fun.

Anyone down for some L4D2 tonight? I'd like to play some Realism Versus with people who aren't mentally challenged.

[quote name='SEH']I do like the addition of "Mutations". Realism Versus actually makes the Jockey useful. One guy in game last night said one of the other "Mutations" is going to be chainsaw only. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it sounds like it'd be fun.[/QUOTE]

I think on the blog it says they have something called "Chainsaw Massacre" in the works as a mutation.

Another example of an upcoming Mutation is Chainsaw Massacre. You are armed with the only thing you need to survive a Zombie Apocalypse: a chainsaw with unlimited gas. Rip apart thousands of zombies on your way to safety. This Mutation will be available later and only in Campaign Mode.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Think you accidentally a word.

The problem is that people want mod tools because they want awesome mods, not they want to make them. Everyone relies on everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Fixed ;)

I say that because I have made maps for a few games over the year. When L4D first came out there were a lot of players in it and a lot of fans site. Each fan site was always talking about future mods and such ONCE the tools where released.

Neil Manke (Maker of They Hunger, USS DARKSTAR for HL) - One of the best modders, IMO - Stated on his blog awhile back that he moved on from L4D due to the lack of tools and support.

[quote name='kilm']I think on the blog it says they have something called "Chainsaw Massacre" in the works as a mutation.[/QUOTE]

Campaign only...that sucks.

Dfg, if you upgraded your computer you could stop griping about games and apps that use modern system resources. Just do it one part at a time if the cost seems too much.

Unless you're on a laptop, in which case your options are limited.

[quote name='eastx']Dfg, if you upgraded your computer you could stop griping about games and apps that use modern system resources. Just do it one part at a time if the cost seems too much.

Unless you're on a laptop, in which case your options are limited.[/QUOTE]

Or if you have an older motherboard that doesn't support newer chipsets and memory technologies, like yours truly.

[quote name='eastx']You can get a decent motherboard for less than $100 though.[/QUOTE]

Or lower if your area has computer shows.

[quote name='eastx']You can get a decent motherboard for less than $100 though.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but then you have to get new memory and a new processor, too.

Or lower if your area has computer shows.

I haven't seen a show around here ever, but I wouldn't go if there were as I've heard warranties are dodgy on parts bought at shows.

Even if you need new RAM and a processor (sometimes newer motherboards can still work with your old stuff), that's not insurmountable.

Motherboard + dual-core 2.8 GHz CPU: $100 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.362342

4 Gigs of DDR3 RAM: $103
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227346

Not saying that's chump change, but if you play PC games, you have to upgrade every few years. If you choose not to upgrade, it's your fault, not the the rest of the world's for moving on.

[quote name='eastx']Even if you need new RAM and a processor (sometimes newer motherboards can still work with your old stuff), that's not insurmountable.

Motherboard + dual-core 2.8 GHz CPU: $100 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.362342

4 Gigs of DDR3 RAM: $103
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227346

Not saying that's chump change, but if you play PC games, you have to upgrade every few years. If you choose not to upgrade, it's your fault, not the the rest of the world's for moving on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links. I haven't been keeping up with hardware too much, so it's good to see what's out there.

That motherboard is pretty low end. Not enough expansion for me. And I'm surprised at all of the bad reviews of the OCZ memory. Has their quality gone South?

I agree that if you are an avid PC gamer that upgrading comes with the territory, though it's good that Valve (at least in the past) has made their software so it will run for a while. They seem to be pretty good about paying attention to the hardware stats they collect.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Thanks for the links. I haven't been keeping up with hardware too much, so it's good to see what's out there.

That motherboard is pretty low end. Not enough expansion for me. And I'm surprised at all of the bad reviews of the OCZ memory. Has their quality gone South?

I agree that if you are an avid PC gamer that upgrading comes with the territory, though it's good that Valve (at least in the past) has made their software so it will run for a while. They seem to be pretty good about paying attention to the hardware stats they collect.[/QUOTE]

consensus is that ram is not so hot, unreliable. it was tempting when it was around $80 6 months ago or so.

Yeah, those aren't deals or anything. Just the cheapest components I could find on the quick. I mostly posted them because somebody was complaining about the new Steam client using too many resources. If one's PC can't handle a little nice Steam, it surely hasn't been upgraded in several years.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I haven't seen a show around here ever, but I wouldn't go if
there were as I've heard warranties are dodgy on parts bought at shows.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you purchase. Most shows have outside vendors but a great many of them are local stores trying to clear inventory. Also, most stands/tables have a quick test ready for ppl that want to test parts and such.

Furthermore, many of the manufacture have a RMA setup for store/show bought items.

Well obviously an upgrade would improve my performance, but for now it's cheaper to complain. I threw in 2GB of RAM I got from someone's lowball here for $7 and that's about all it's worth to upgrade in this box.

But I am truly grateful that Valve puts out titles that are scalable and playable by a wider range of systems.

Dont go and recommend intel stuff when all they do is changing socket everytime the introduce something new. That defeats the whole purpose of being able to just do a bios update and have support for new cpu's :p

[quote name='freddy_']Dont go and recommend intel stuff when all they do is changing socket everytime the introduce something new. That defeats the whole purpose of being able to just do a bios update and have support for new cpu's :p[/QUOTE]

if only future cpus were the single concern when building a pc.

[quote name='SEH']Whats this "Booster Troopers" game all about? Looks like it could be fun.[/QUOTE]

The first thing I thought when I saw it was, "crash commando"

Yes, Booster Trooper is broadly similar to Soldat (which is by far the best of this sort of game; one of my very favorite games of all time) or Crash Commando. It's a 2D deathmatch platformer. I love it, so far, though there is room to improve. I hope the developer sticks with it.

In other news, something new for the "unannounced coming soon" list: Death Tank! I'm excited about this one, cause I fuckin' love me some Death Tank. I presume this will be the same as, or based off of, the XBLA version from last year. Aside from that, there's a game called Dogfighter, and some puzzle game called GridBuster.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yes, Booster Trooper is broadly similar to Soldat (which is by far the best of this sort of game; one of my very favorite games of all time) or Crash Commando. It's a 2D deathmatch platformer. I love it, so far, though there is room to improve. I hope the developer sticks with it.

In other news, something new for the "unannounced coming soon" list: Death Tank! I'm excited about this one, cause I fuckin' love me some Death Tank. I presume this will be the same as, or based off of, the XBLA version from last year. Aside from that, there's a game called Dogfighter, and some puzzle game called GridBuster.[/QUOTE]

Soldat is AWESOME. It's one of the free 2d side scroller shooters that still challenge me.

Is Dogfighter and Gridbuster the same as the free ones or are they making changes to them?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yes, Booster Trooper is broadly similar to Soldat (which is by far the best of this sort of game; one of my very favorite games of all time) or Crash Commando. It's a 2D deathmatch platformer. I love it, so far, though there is room to improve. I hope the developer sticks with it.

[/QUOTE]

Oh man Soldat was great a few years back when it had a ton of players.

I miss the good old 1.3.1 days, where there was 16 on 16 CTF servers (madness), Deathmatch was still popular (and thriving), and people played Rambo.

Unfortunately, partly from the player base leaving and what I believe the flood of modded servers really killed the game. It's hard to find a decent CTF game, almost impossible to find a Deathmatch game.

I honestly wish the game can relive its glory days, since it's so unique.

Booster Trooper looks like an updated Soldat, as others have said.. or pretty much a 2D Team Fortress.

I'd love to do a four pack for it if three other people would be down. It winds up being $6.75 a person.

[quote name='Scorch']Booster Trooper looks like an updated Soldat, as others have said.. or pretty much a 2D Team Fortress.[/QUOTE]

WTF. How does it at all look like "a 2D Team Fortress." People constantly compare EVERYTHING that isn't like, Modern Warfare, to TF2, without ever explaining why. Explain your reasoning. What the hell about this game even remotely resembles TF2, gameplay or design wise?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']WTF. How does it at all look like "a 2D Team Fortress." People constantly compare EVERYTHING that isn't like, Modern Warfare, to TF2, without ever explaining why. Explain your reasoning. What the hell about this game even remotely resembles TF2, gameplay or design wise?[/QUOTE]

Oops. I meant Soldat was like Team Fortress. Not TF2.. TF2 is garbage.. Team Fortress Classic.

The reason I say it's like Team Fortress is because they share similar weapon loadouts (Grenade launcher/demoman, Barret/Sniper, minigun/hwguy, shotgun/scout, the frag and cluster grenades).. enough to where it almost feels class based. You may not agree, but it's what it reminds me of.

Anyway.. any interest in a 4 pack of Booster Trooper?

[quote name='Megazell']Is Dogfighter and Gridbuster the same as the free ones or are they making changes to them?[/QUOTE]

Beats me. I'm not familiar with either of those games.

Anyways, todays "coming soon to Steam" update is Guns of Icarus.

[quote name='paz9x']classes/kits?[/QUOTE]

It has different weapons. You independently choose one of five weapons, a sidearm, and a grenade. There are no "kits."

[quote name='Scorch']The reason I say it's like Team Fortress is because they share similar weapon loadouts (Grenade launcher/demoman, Barret/Sniper, minigun/hwguy, shotgun/scout, the frag and cluster grenades).. enough to where it almost feels class based. You may not agree, but it's what it reminds me of.[/QUOTE]
As I said above, there are no "loadouts" or "classes." All weapon selection is independent. Seriously, are all games with multiple weapons "TF-like" now?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Megazell']Is Dogfighter and Gridbuster the same as the free ones or are they making changes to them?[/QUOTE]

Beats me. I'm not familiar with either of those games.

Anyways, todays "coming soon to Steam" update is Guns of Icarus.

bread's done
Back