The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Patch released to fix the PvZ Cloud problems! Link

Also, you get a free copy of King's Bounty: The Legend if you pre-order King's Bounty: Crossworlds for $10(requires Armored Princess). The main thread is here.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Patch released to fix the PvZ Cloud problems! Link[/QUOTE]

Yeah too bad this won't fix my save game deleted from the cloud already. I had to resort to a local backup copy that I wasn't very far in (level 3-2)..

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Patch released to fix the PvZ Cloud problems! Link

Also, you get a free copy of King's Bounty: The Legend if you pre-order King's Bounty: Crossworlds for $10(requires Armored Princess). The main thread is here.[/QUOTE]

that is great news.

Let me ponder this. King's Bounty: Crossworlds comes with King's Bounty: The Legend if you pre-order, but... it requires King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

...? eh?

Doesn't really effect me since I have both already and haven't finished them yet. :) So I'll just wait and pay $4 for Crossworlds at Christmas.

Also, holy crap, Blood Bowl is $10! Can I buy this, or are they going to release a game of the year edition as soon as I purchase?

Not that I have time to play it anyway, but I've wanted it forever.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Also, holy crap, Blood Bowl is $10! Can I buy this, or are they going to release a game of the year edition as soon as I purchase?

Not that I have time to play it anyway, but I've wanted it forever.[/QUOTE]

sometime before the end of the year.

OK, so Amnesia: The Dark Descent came out and I'm faaaaaar too much of a wuss to actually play it so I've been watching a youtube "Let's Play" of it. If anyone else is interested, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/user/deatheven13

Man this game is freaky as hell. I'm not even playing and I'm yelping and having to pause the video and chill out (Part 7, too freaky). Anyone who is a big fan of horror games (read: not me) should definitely check this out. I'm going to man up and watch more.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']OK, so Amnesia: The Dark Descent came out and I'm faaaaaar too much of a wuss to actually play it so I've been watching a youtube "Let's Play" of it. If anyone else is interested, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/user/deatheven13

Man this game is freaky as hell. I'm not even playing and I'm yelping and having to pause the video and chill out (Part 7, too freaky). Anyone who is a big fan of horror games (read: not me) should definitely check this out. I'm going to man up and watch more.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to play this after I finish the first two Penumbra games (Almost done with part one and I guess playing the third isn't required). A lot of folks are saying this is the scariest game they've ever played so this is right up my alley. I'll report back when I get into it.

[quote name='eastx']Okay, team. The OP has been completely overhauled. I'm trying to make it as useful as possible. Feedback would be great.

Also, like VGMnk, I am excited about Dungeon Defenders, which comes out in November. Looks like a great game so far.[/QUOTE]

I looked this game up on GamersGate and Impulse and the MSRP is $9.99.
I definitely like that price. Hopefully Steam gets an exclusive goody like those two services got.

[quote name='Mike UFC']I looked this game up on GamersGate and Impulse and the MSRP is $9.99.
I definitely like that price. Hopefully Steam gets an exclusive goody like those two services got.[/QUOTE]

at this point that game is a definite buy for me, really looking forward to it.

[quote name='Mike UFC']I looked this game up on GamersGate and Impulse and the MSRP is $9.99.
I definitely like that price. Hopefully Steam gets an exclusive goody like those two services got.[/QUOTE]

Great. That game looks cool for $10.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Let me ponder this. King's Bounty: Crossworlds comes with King's Bounty: The Legend if you pre-order, but... it requires King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

Doesn't really effect me since I have both already and haven't finished them yet. :) So I'll just wait and pay $4 for Crossworlds at Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Jesse, you're alive! Where ya been? Did you get Worms? If so, please post in the Worms discussion thread.

Yeah, Amnesia is getting great buzz. I haven't even gotten around to playing Penumbra yet though.

Here's another installment in my "unannounced coming soon to Steam crap" series:

- Alien Breed 2: Assault
- Alien Breed 3: Descent
- Americas Army: Special Forces ("Special Forces" is the name of America's Army 2. I'm guessing this will be available alongside the already-on-Steam America's Army 3.)
- Archon Classic (remake of the classic old chess-inspired fantasy strategy game)
- Commander: Conquest of the Americas - Unknown DLC
- Dungeon Siege III
- GTR - FIA GT Racing Game
- Hacker Evolution (similar to Uplink)
- Hacker Evolution: Untold
- Lead & Gold: Gangs of the Wild West - Unknown DLC
- Lugaru HD (this is the predecessor to the upcoming Overgrowth, which is also coming to Steam)
- MX vs ATV Reflex (this came out on consoles last December, and now it's coming to PC. The PC version hasn't been announced yet, period, so this is exclusive info, right here.)
- Quarrel
- Serious Sam Classic: The First Encounter (the "Serious Sam HD" remakes are both already available on Steam, and now the untouched original editions will soon be available as well, giving players a choice of versions. There are still some great mods for the original vesions, for instance, so there is a good reason to have both versions.)
- Serious Sam Classic: The Second Encounter
- Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942
- The Polynomial (this is an incredibly gorgeous shooter that takes particle effects to an insane extreme. I've been playing the free demo version for over a year, and I'm looking forward to buying the full game on Steam)
- X: Beyond The Frontier (this is the original game in the X series of space flight and trading sims. All of the other games in this series are on Steam, so I guess they decided it was finally time to complete the collection with the game that started it all.)
- X-tension (this is the expansion pack to X:BTF)
- You Are Empty
- Zen Bound 2

A couple other notes:
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut will soon become a Steamplay title.

And perhaps the most significant bit of news in this whole post: It looks like Valve's years-old dream of allowing users to use Steam to keep their video-card drivers up-to-date is finally starting to come true. Gabe has always cited users having outdated drivers as one of the biggest customer support problems, and the idea that Steam users could allow Steam itself to manage their driver updates automatically (just like game updates) was one of the original ideas behind Steam, when it was being dreamt up nearly a decade ago. So, after years since we last heard about the subject (specifically, the 2007 story linked above), Steam should very soon be launching an option that will allow AMD/ATI Radeon owners to allow Steam to always keep their graphics card drivers fully up-to-date (sorry, Nvidia owners, nothing for you yet). It will, of course, be optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a question about SFIV pc. I just built a new rig and dl'd SFIV. I did the benchmark with max settings and got 92 fps. I played arcade mode with variable frame rate. It said i was running at 60 but was more like 30 fps. I then chose fixed frame rate, and that didn't help either. Any ideas?

NyxQuest preorder is up. Regular price is just $9.99, but if you pre-purchase before it launches on September 27th, you get 10% off.

Also, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light now has a specific release date of September 28th on Steam, but there is no pre-purchase option yet. I'm kind of hoping for a two-pack discount, or something.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Also, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light now has a specific release date of September 28th on Steam, but there is no pre-purchase option yet. I'm kind of hoping for a two-pack discount, or something.[/QUOTE]

A Lara Croft 2-pack would be sweet. I look forward to getting a deal on it since I wasn't able to buy it for Xbox 360 during the Summer of Arcade. The Steam version has Achievements, Cloud, and everything, so it should hopefully be a good port (we'll overlook the fact that buggy-ass Magic also has these features).

BTW, when they announced they were taking Michael Jackson out of Plants vs Zombies, I immediately turned off automatic updates so I could keep him. Well, the game updated to the GOTY edition anyway, which is extremely lame. But on the bright side, I launched it for the first time since the GOTY debut and my save data was not destroyed by the Steam storm cloud. I got all the new Achievements, booya.

Specials

It's LucasArts week on Steam. The [URL="http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4593/"]Star Wars Collection
is $50, half off. Every day a different LucasArts game will be on sale, starting with the old 30 gigabyte monster, The Force Unleashed for $7.50. They sure do love to try to milk that dirty port.

[youtube]dPxUWaRV59o[/youtube]

Rhythm Zone, a Guitar Hero clone that generates notes from your own MP3s, is on sale for $6.69. Apparently it's not that great though.

[youtube]sekWWH8f4zE[/youtube]

Jolly Rover, the adventure game with pirate dogs, is on sale for $4.99. It previously listed for $20, and it has Steam Achievements. Everyone should at least watch the trailer - there's a couple of great jokes in there.

Rhythm Zone is awful. The tracks generated from your own music is laughable. It's just notes randomly scattered around, making it pretty hard to play/get your timing down since there really is no pattern.

I'm so pissed right now. I lost 41 hours of gameplay and unlocks on Plants Vs. Zombies due to a steam cloud update. The game gave me a new option of local saves or cloud saves. I picked cloud saves and played my game this morning. Came back this afternoon to play again and my entire profile had been wiped out. Trying a few things on the steam forums to try to recover the data, but I think it's gone...

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm so pissed right now. I lost 41 hours of gameplay and unlocks on Plants Vs. Zombies due to a steam cloud update. The game gave me a new option of local saves or cloud saves. I picked cloud saves and played my game this morning. Came back this afternoon to play again and my entire profile had been wiped out. Trying a few things on the steam forums to try to recover the data, but I think it's gone...[/QUOTE]

hahah, i feel your pain, good luck, that update is a motherfucker.

[quote name='paz9x']hahah, i feel your pain, good luck, that update is a motherfucker.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying Recuva now, but if that screwed me over I won't go back to the game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The Hacker Evolution games are up, now:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6161/[/QUOTE]

awesome awesome games with a pretty good story. Think of a more involved Uplink. The free expansion packs are decent. Plus it has a small modding community pumping out extra scenarios. You get a lot of content. Worth checking out the demo at least

Not a bad price for them with the discount. They occasionally go up on sale at Impulse and Gamersgate for around $12.50-$15 a piece.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm so pissed right now. I lost 41 hours of gameplay and unlocks on Plants Vs. Zombies due to a steam cloud update. The game gave me a new option of local saves or cloud saves. I picked cloud saves and played my game this morning. Came back this afternoon to play again and my entire profile had been wiped out. Trying a few things on the steam forums to try to recover the data, but I think it's gone...[/QUOTE]

I lost about the same because I forgot to copy the files pre-update. The tooltip that pops up now very clearly says that you've got a local save newer than the cloud save tho :( - It's a lot better than Torchlight's cloud verbatim, that's for sure.

[quote name='halfbent']I lost about the same because I forgot to copy the files pre-update. The tooltip that pops up now very clearly says that you've got a local save newer than the cloud save tho :( - It's a lot better than Torchlight's cloud verbatim, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

There was no tooltip a few days ago. It just straight up asked me if I wanted to do local saves or steam cloud. Oy.

I apologize if this has already been asked somewhere in this monstrous thread (was hoping maybe the question would be on the FAQ), but does anyone know: now that Steam is on Mac, why are some games on Steam that do have a Mac version available as software not have the Mac version available on Steam?

[quote name='Cheapskate']I apologize if this has already been asked somewhere in this monstrous thread (was hoping maybe the question would be on the FAQ), but does anyone know: now that Steam is on Mac, why are some games on Steam that do have a Mac version available as software not have the Mac version available on Steam?[/QUOTE]

That's something that you should ask the game's publisher.

I wonder if it'll come to Steam? And I wonder if the GoG version would end up running better anyway?

I do prefer to have my games on Steam, or even Impulse. GoG, as much as I love them, is my third choice.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I wonder if it'll come to Steam? And I wonder if the GoG version would end up running better anyway?

I do prefer to have my games on Steam, or even Impulse. GoG, as much as I love them, is my third choice.[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn it was coming to Steam, but going by the website it was only released to GoG and Impulse. GoG did nothing on fixing this game up (it was done by Triumph Studios) so it wouldn't matter where you buy it from.

http://triumphstudios.com/

I could have sworn it was supposed to hit Steam, but there is no information out there other than it's being digitally re-released and is now on GoG and Impulse only.

What sucks is they aren't selling it as a collection, but piecemeal. Age of Wonders is $5.99, while the next two games (AoE 2 and Shadow Magic) are $9.99 a piece.

That's lame on a lot of levels. Should be $10 for the whole set. In fact, I bought a DVD of the whole set for less than $10 a few years ago.

Meh.

I bet it'll come to Steam eventually, but if not, maybe they'll bundle it up and release it for a sensible price on Impulse.

I wonder what Triumph is doing these days besides charging too much for their old games? :)

Oh, Overlord. I forgot. A bit of a departure, I guess.

That's one reason I'm waiting on Steam, to see if they aren't doing a "Hey, here's all 3 games for one low price cheaper than the competition!"

But not even a mention of it anywhere in the "coming soon" is a bit odd.

I mean, the games are worth the money (I think Shadow Magic commands a high price on Ebay), but I'd like to save a bit if I could.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I wonder if it'll come to Steam? And I wonder if the GoG version would end up running better anyway?[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, it is. As evidenced by my "Coming Soon" threads, I know what I'm talking about. :)

[quote name='animalspinners']But not even a mention of it anywhere in the "coming soon" is a bit odd.[/QUOTE]
Have you ever seen any of my posts in this thread about "unannounced coming soon Steam games"? Most games are released on Steam without appearing in the Coming Soon section, actually.

Speaking of "unannounced coming soon games," here's yet another installment. Lots of really great stuff, this time.

- Monday Night Combat (hell yeah, I was hoping this would come to PC)
- The entire BIT.TRIP series, from Wiiware! (Beat, Core, Void, Runner, Fate, and the unnamed sixth and final entry)
- Limbo
- Tactical Intervention (new game from the creator of Counter-Strike)
- Magicka (check out the trailer, it's a riot)
- Sword of Fargoal (another remake of a classic early '80s PC game)
- Infernal Squad (I think this is the name of a game; I could be wrong)
- Blade Kitten Episode 2
- Ignite

Various DLC for the following games:
- R.U.S.E.
- Front Mission Evolved
- Civilization V
- Demolition Company
- Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers - Expansion Pack #3

Unknown games from the following studios:
- Firemint, Cipherprime (makers of Auditorium), Grendel Games, Digital Ranch, Youdagames, Stickmen Studios, Hitbox, Lucid Team, Noumenon Games, NtreevSoft

And lastly, it appears that the Humble Indie Bundle *might* be making an appearance on Steam, in some form or another (perhaps people that bought it might get the games on Steam?) This might be something that isn't intended to actually happen publicly, though. I really can't speculate, I just know that there's mention of it. Don't take this one as 100% confirmed, since this info is so vague.

Would that be Blade Kitten episode 2?

I hope when the third Magic DLC comes along, they release a patch that actually fixes the game's longstanding issues. It's crazy that they keep selling us stuff even though the game is like 20% or more broken and buggy.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']- Monday Night Combat (hell yeah, I was hoping this would come to PC)[/QUOTE]

Ugh....If I had known I would have waited. So many bugs on the 360 version.

They should give their DLC for free or make it uber cheap. They'll end up fracturing their user base.

[quote name='eastx']Would that be Blade Kitten episode 2?[/QUOTE]

Heh, yup. Fixed.

Also, not just Beat, but the entire BIT.TRIP series will be making it's way to PC, in the same order as the Wii originals (Beat, Core, Void, Runner, Fate, and the unnamed sixth entry). Really excited about this, because I love these games. Online multiplayer for Beat sure would be nice, but I won't count on it. Offline is still great.

Pumped for MNC. I almost purchased it on XBL but the shitty controller thing pushed me away. Definite day one purchase for me though once it hits Steam.

Fargoal looks cool! They should do an Amazon Kindle version. :D Also, the narrator in the trailer is totally Chairman Ikutsuki from Persona 3. Betcha betcha.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Fargoal looks cool![/QUOTE]

It is really good though a bit easy Roguelike. It translated quite well to the ipod and is updated constantly.

My main worry is price. They can get away with charging $2.99 on itunes because their only real competition are barebone straight ports of Rogue and Nethack (which are free and still lovely) but not so on the PC. Sadly roguelikes on the PC are relegated to being freeware and there are A LOT of great ones out there. I just don't see it doing well on the PC if you have to pay for it.

[quote name='fart_bubble']It is really good though a bit easy Roguelike. It translated quite well to the ipod and is updated constantly.

My main worry is price. They can get away with charging $2.99 on itunes because their only real competition are barebone straight ports of Rogue and Nethack (which are free and still lovely) but not so on the PC. Sadly roguelikes on the PC are relegated to being freeware and there are A LOT of great ones out there. I just don't see it doing well on the PC if you have to pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

If anybody wants to play the demo for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light a few days early (and apparently, also be given an option to buy and play the full game earlier than the official launch on September 28th), you can sign up for early access over at GameSpot, and you'll get a code on the 21st, that you put into Steam, and voila, early demo goodness. The same offer is available for PS3, as well.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Coffee, you're a fucking god. I've been waiting on this one.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. :) I've been wanting to play it myself, but it just didn't seem like Xbox was the right platform for it. I'll definitely be picking it up on PC. I'm hoping it uses Steamworks.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Fargoal looks cool! They should do an Amazon Kindle version. :D Also, the narrator in the trailer is totally Chairman Ikutsuki from Persona 3. Betcha betcha.[/QUOTE]
I like that sort of game, so if the price is right, I might drop a few bucks on it.

Hell fucking yeah, super glad MNC and Limbo are coming to PC. You can tell Limbo is eventually going to be one of those $2 deals.

Also, totally in for early access to Guardian of Light. Thanks for the link Coffee!

[quote name='dfg']I missed the last few days of the LucasArts sale. Anything I should beat myself up over?[/QUOTE]

Well, Knights of the Old Republic for $2.49 was pretty much irresistable, and I think both Empire at War and Battlefront II were great deals at $4.99 each.

bread's done
Back