The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'm definitely going to be picking that up after seeing the GiantBomb quick look.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-super-meat-boy/17-3387/[/QUOTE]

I know I'm going to like that game but @ $10 it's a maybe. There's just a bunch of other crap I want to play but haven't bought yet.

"I hate this game"
He obviously liked it.

"There's so much meat"

I really need a 360 controller for my pc...

Yeah. The quick look got me interested in it but I'm not sure I'd buy it for $10. Looks like the kind of thing I'd play for an hour or two until it got difficult enough I get pissed off at it and leave it.

I should have clarified that I'm definitely going to wait for a deal on Super Meat Boy as well. If the game is awesome then it'll just make the inevitable $2.50-$5 deal even better.

I will double dip on Super Meat Boy the day it hits PC.

I got it as soon as it hit XBLA and it is worth it (to me) to support the developers right from the get go as I think they deserve it. The game is fantastic and well worth it. I can't wait to see what the community will do with the level editor (which is another huge reason I can't wait for the PC version.)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']...so I'll wait unless the preorder has TF2 hats.[/QUOTE]
I feel like I once saw one of them say they hate that shit, but I'm probably completely fabricating that memory.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I feel like I once saw one of them say they hate that shit, but I'm probably completely fabricating that memory.[/QUOTE]

I see the point of hating in game content locked for pre-orders, but promoting your game, increasing sales for everyone and adding a neat-o hat to TF2 seems to me like there are no downsides.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I see the point of hating in game content locked for pre-orders, but promoting your game, increasing sales for everyone and adding a neat-o hat to TF2 seems to me like there are no downsides.[/QUOTE]

Except for copping out to a really stupid trend and compromising their principles (again, assuming they actually said that). TF2 has enough hats. We don't need every single game to add another.

Seems dumb to bitch about hats. Valve has unintentionally created a great marketing tool. Adding a hat opens up a game to those who otherwise never would've bothered. It sounds stupid, but it's really not. The developer gets pre-orders and the customer gets an extra bonus. It's win-win.

I'm curious how the new MBA would handle Source games. Tempting to take TF2 or LFD2 on the road. Does anyone have a Macbook (Pro) with the Nvidia 320M chip? How does it perform?

[quote name='SEH']Seems dumb to bitch about hats. Valve has unintentionally created a great marketing tool. Adding a hat opens up a game to those who otherwise never would've bothered. It sounds stupid, but it's really not. The developer gets pre-orders and the customer gets an extra bonus. It's win-win.[/QUOTE]

I fully agree. It hurts no one, gets extra sales, and makes Team Fortress 2 players happy.

I never said no games should have the stupid hats. I said that NOT EVERY game needs to offer one. I can absolutely understand why a developer wouldn't want to do it, even if given the chance.

Also, "makes Team Fortress 2 players happy" is inaccurate. It "makes some Team Fortress 2 players happy." The community is terribly split over the entire issue. Many old-timers absolutely despise the hats and all that shit.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Also, "makes Team Fortress 2 players happy" is inaccurate. It "makes some Team Fortress 2 players happy." The community is terribly split over the entire issue. Many old-timers absolutely despise the hats and all that shit.[/QUOTE]

So because of semantics you really thought that he meant hats make all TF2 players happy?

lololol

Is there a point here?

Not every game will have TF2 hats. Just like not every game will do every single marketing gimmick imaginable, or whatever else that could possible increase sales. What, two non-Valve games have ever done this, I think? SMB probably won't join those ranks. Case closed.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Is there a point here?

Not every game will have TF2 hats. Just like not every game will do every single marketing gimmick imaginable, or whatever else that could possible increase sales. What, two non-Valve games have ever done this, I think? SMB probably won't join those ranks. Case closed.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, there's no point. You're just QQing for the sake of QQ. Cool story, brah

[quote name='kilm']Exactly, there's no point. You're just QQing for the sake of QQ. Cool story, brah[/QUOTE]

Two stupid internet-isms in one post, great job.

I said that I think they said they would never do a TF2 hat, in response to a mention of such a thing. Then people started going on about how TF2 hats make perfect economic sense or something. I didn't say that they don't sell a few preorders. I said that not every game will offer such a thing Again, there are lots of "no-downside," fully economically logical things that developers can try can do to increase sales, in general, and to particular markets, like TF2 hatwhores, but they won't do all of them in each case.

I said I seemed to recall them not liking the idea, nothing more, and people started in immediately about "oh but TF2 hats make perfect sense for everybody." So, who is crying here, exactly?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']tldr

I said I seemed to recall them not liking the idea, nothing more, and people started in immediately about "oh but TF2 hats make perfect sense for everybody." So, who is crying here, exactly?[/QUOTE]

Still you, bro.

You're still so mad about virtual hats, get over it. We're all drowning in your tears

[quote name='kilm']You're still so mad about virtual hats, get over it. We're all drowning in your tears[/QUOTE]

Saying anything other than "YES EVERY GAME SHOULD ADD A HAT TO TF2" = ocean of tears? I never even said I hate hats. I said they're STUPID, but it's quite possible to like stupid things. I wear the one from Worms Reloaded all the time, and the L4D2 hat secured my preorder of that game last year. But indeed, I don't think every developer will want to do this promo. Don't see how that's crying. Now fucking cut it out and grow up.

Anyways, eastx, you can remove the following from that list in post 2, since they're either out or show up in "Coming Soon" now:
Age of Wonders, Blade Kitten: Episode 2 (unless Krome had it finished before they went under, I doubt it'll ever come out), Borderlands GOTY, Doc Clock, Dungeon Siege III, Grotesque Tactics, Lugaru HD, MX vs ATV Reflex, The Polynomial.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'] Now fucking cut it out and grow up.[/QUOTE]

lolumad

pot, meet kettle.

You ranting and raving and moaning and bitching about hats and DLC for the past 2 pages isn't crying to you? And you're telling me to grow up?

lololol@u

Dogfighter going on sale for 1.50 on Monday, though I'm quite content with the dogfight we've got going on now.

Definitely picking it up though, don't see how I can't at 1.50.

[quote name='hydro2oxide']dogfighter going on sale for 1.50 on monday, though i'm quite content with the dogfight we've got going on now.[/quote]

ha!

Here's some coming soon stuff:
  • DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue (should be obvious that this was happening, but I'll mention it anyways)
  • Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition
  • Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece (this is the updated version of Hegemony: Philip of Macedon. This is a pretty incredible strategy game from one of my favorite independent developers, Longbow Digital. You will find no independent developer more dedicated than these guys. Strategy fans should try the demo of Philip of Macedon)
  • RISK Factions
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
  • Tommy Tronic (some kind of platformer, apparently by one guy from Ukraine. Here's a demo)
  • Zombie Pirates

(And hey eastx, when you see this, make sure to tidy up the list by removing the outdated entries I mentioned above)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upcoming games list in post 2 has been updated. Thanks for the info, CoffeeEdge.

[youtube]finlQzQQYt4[/youtube]

Also, Numen: Contest of Heroes is on sale for $2 this weekend. I believe Jesse posted about the game a while back. If you need a cheap RPG, it looks like a fair choice.

Yup, Numen is definitely worth the $2. It's certainly no Dragon Age, but it's goofy fun.

I hope Dragon Age Ultimate is priced decently!

And I wonder why the hell I bought Deathspank on PS3 when I could have gotten it on Steam??

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I hope Dragon Age Ultimate is priced decently![/QUOTE]

Oh, it'll be priced at $50 at release guaranteed like all GotY editions that come out. Just gotta wait a bit longer for it to be a deal. I'm gonna hold out until it's $25.

Please tell me that I'm not alone! After reading Jesse's mention of the holiday sale, I thought about the sweet deals I got a little over a year ago and then realized that I've only played TWO of those games. I got into Defense Grid a bit but didn't finish it. I played Osmosis for a night or so. That's it. Even more embarrassing is that I bought HL2:Episode 1 when it came out and have only played it for 5 minutes (amazingly avoiding spoilers since then, too!).

Which brings a question to mind: What is the oldest game in your backlog? Steam-related, I'd say it's Episode 1, followed by Episode 2. I feel like holing up for a week and playing computer games to make a dent in my backlog.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Which brings a question to mind: What is the oldest game in your backlog? Steam-related, I'd say it's Episode 1, followed by Episode 2. I feel like holing up for a week and playing computer games to make a dent in my backlog.[/QUOTE]

oldest game in terms of release date or when you bought the game?

The iD Collection... I played Commander Keen for 15 painful minutes or so, but I never got around to playing Return to Wolfenstein, Doom 3, or the rest. Shame on me.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Yeah, my backlog is huge. I've played very little of my Steam games, frankly. I have stuff from last holiday (2009) that I haven't even touched.[/QUOTE]

Well, running Steam when Windows starts and actually being logged in would probably help a lot, since the client has this handy game launcher thing. Just sayin'!

[quote name='kilm']oldest game in terms of release date or when you bought the game?[/QUOTE]

How long it's been sitting in your backlog. 'Combat' doesn't count if you bought it yesterday.

I'd probably have to say the iD collection too. That was one of the first weekend deals I got in on after hardly ever launching Steam. I bought the pack because I was so enamoured by the fact that I could own some of gaming's greatest FPS's for only $35. If I could go back and do it again, I wouldn't even bother. Having that $35 back back then would have been great.

All that pack did was bloat my Steam games list with a bunch of old games that I'll never ever play but bought because of nostalgia.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
[*]RISK Factions[/QUOTE]
Cool beans. I'm liking this trend of these downloadable Xbox games I'm interested in coming to Steam. Though again I think this was a $15 game which I'll wait for a price drop on. Did look fun enough that I'll be sure to pick it up eventually though.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Cool beans. I'm liking this trend of these downloadable Xbox games I'm interested in coming to Steam. Though again I think this was a $15 game which I'll wait for a price drop on. Did look fun enough that I'll be sure to pick it up eventually though.[/QUOTE]

Naw, Risk Factions is $10 and the XBLA version is going on sale for $5 on November 1.

Ah. For $10 I might pick it up then, depending on when it hits. If it lands during/before/shortly after Christmas I'll probably wait since I asked for Civ 5 and Fallout New Vegas for Christmas itself, and have a pile of money prepared for Steam winter sale. If they get it out on Steam soon I might go ahead and pick it up at $10 though, looked like a fun quick/simple strategy game. Especially if it ends up using Steamworks for multiplayer so playing with buddies is as easy as Steam invites.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']How long it's been sitting in your backlog. 'Combat' doesn't count if you bought it yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I'd thought it'd be something older, but I bought Mass Effect (1) last November and haven't had at it yet.

As far as retail boxes go, my record is pre-ordering the collector's edition of Baldur's Gate 2, which still sits unplayed.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Please tell me that I'm not alone! After reading Jesse's mention of the holiday sale, I thought about the sweet deals I got a little over a year ago and then realized that I've only played TWO of those games. I got into Defense Grid a bit but didn't finish it....[/QUOTE]

Defense Grid is excellent. You should give another shot if you like strategy games, especially if you like tower defense games. I have it on XBLA and loved it: I bought all the DLC, and it's the only game for which I've gotten 100% of the achievements.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Defense Grid is excellent. You should give another shot if you like strategy games, especially if you like tower defense games. I have it on XBLA and loved it: I bought all the DLC, and it's the only game for which I've gotten 100% of the achievements.[/QUOTE]

I love Defense Grid -- I just haven't had time to get back into it. I didn't know what a Tower Defense game was until I played it, and it reminded me that my favorite part of Starcraft was building up my bases.

Anyone check out the trailers for "The Ball"?

Its a FPA, and in a nutshell it looks like a game where you use this "gravity" esque gun to move this huge ball around to kill youre enemies and solves puzzles.

[youtube]k4lY_gbcSX8[/youtube]

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35460/

This may have been posted already, but it comes out this week, and looks really sweet.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I love Defense Grid -- I just haven't had time to get back into it.[/QUOTE]

I know how that goes. My backlog is pretty embarrassing.

As many of you know, later today, Dogfighter is going on sale for $1.50. It's a fun multiplayer-only arcade-style flying game in the vein of Crimson Skies. The devs keep supporting it with updates, and it's becoming fairly polished.

[youtube]rVkrSWIgJPI[/youtube]

So we've created a Steam group!

3332646253cab19cd285d7eafd3b3a00d1e4bf28_full.jpg

Please join the CAG Dogfighter Steam Group.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']What's the best way to delete a game downloaded from Steam; just go through Control Panel or is there a method on Steam I can use?[/QUOTE]

That works too.

Library, games, right click on a game, delete local content

[quote name='kilm']That works too.

Library, games, right click on a game, delete local content[/QUOTE]

That's what I had been doing, but I still find folders in the Steam file. I'd like to keep the game in the Library so I can download it easy when I'd like to play, but I want to get them entirely off the hard drive.

I can go through my Control Panel, but I had not tried it yet. Any experience?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back