The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

It's a Source-engine game, so if you can run any of Valve's recent games decently, BGT should work just fine.[/QUOTE]

I can run L4D2 fine on my dinosaur single-core rig, but the explicitness of BGT's system reqs ("For 6-8 player multiplayer matches, the Recommended System Requirements are strongly suggested.) is enough to deter my purchase. Oh wells.

By the time I acquired a copy of The Ship last year, there were only a handful of servers I could find that were not all bots. Shame, that.

Just thought I'd mention how cool it is that I'm browsing CAG inside of CSS while I'm dead! (yes, I'm not that good at CSS :( )

Honestly, AC: Brotherhood looks like it has a game mode similar to BGT and it looks like AC executed the idea much better due to the NPC's which you're not supposed to kill. I will definitely check out a BGT demo if one comes though.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Honestly, AC: Brotherhood looks like it has a game mode similar to BGT and it looks like AC executed the idea much better due to the NPC's which you're not supposed to kill.[/quote]
If you want non-target NPCs, then play The Ship. It has that. They took it out of BGT to speed the game up.

Some Ship/BGT fans actually have notions of conspiracy regarding Ubisoft, BGT, and AC:B's multiplayer. What a coincidence that Ubi would pick up the rights BGT, let the developer die, give the game a throwaway release with absolutely no fanfare whatsoever, and then ship AC:B a few months later with a multiplayer concept ripped straight out of The Ship....

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']If you want non-target NPCs, then play The Ship. It has that. They took it out of BGT to speed the game up.

Some Ship/BGT fans actually have notions of conspiracy regarding Ubisoft, BGT, and AC:B's multiplayer. What a coincidence that Ubi would pick up the rights BGT, let the developer die, give the game a throwaway release with absolutely no fanfare whatsoever, and then ship AC:B a few months later with a multiplayer concept ripped straight out of The Ship....[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I was a fan of the ship, played it on occasion a while back but my least favorite part was how easy it was to kill people and it looks even easier in BGT. I think I'll have to give it a pass after looking at the GB quicklook.

I just opened my hard copy of Shadowgrounds Survivor ($2 sealed at HPB) and since the CD key is in the 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q format (and the box has the Steam logo on the back), I decided to enter it in Steam and, violin! It worked.

It's not on the Steam support list that's linked to in the OP, so mebbe eastx could include this vital piece of info in there somewhere.

Cheers!

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is now just $19.99. So are Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight (beware, uses Ubisoft-style copy protection that requires you to be online constantly while you're playing, even singleplayer, or it'll kick you from the game) and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (used to use SecuROM, but it's been removed).

[quote name='dfg']...I decided to enter it in Steam and, violin! It worked.[/QUOTE]
Heh. Nice find, though.

Anyways, here's a few more coming soons:

Also, Bloody Good Time and Tommy Tronic can be removed now. And I guess Winter Voices can be changed to mention that the first episode is out, and the other 6 are still on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit.Trip BEAT is out on Steam, but they want $9.99 (or $8.99 launch special) for it, versus $6 on Wii. fuck that! Sucks, because I wanted to get the PC version.

Also, to all you tasteless jerks who won't shell out a mere $4.49 for the second-best game of 2010 (after Super Meat Boy), you can get a 50% off discount code for Bloody Good Time over on RockPaperShotgun. No excuses. Buy it! And seriously, don't sign up for one of these codes if you're not going to use it. If you don't want the game, then leave the code for someone who will use it.

Oh, and apparently, to use the code, you need to buy the game on Ubisoft's store, where you'll use the code on checkout, and they'll send you a CD-key to register on Steam. So, if you aren't willing to take this extra step, again, don't take a code that could be used by someone else.

Thanks CoffeeEdge. D2D cancelled my pre-order for BGT which is cool since that code (if I get it) makes it a bit better than the roughly $3.49 or whatever that I paid.

Trine for $5 is EASILY worth it. I wasn't expecting much to begin with, but it's an amazing platformer with some incredible scenery and music. I vouch for the title at this price.

Also, for those that care, the Borderlands level cap increase patch is now live! Now players can level to 58 (without the General Knoxx DLC) or to 69 (with the General Knoxx DLC), and when Playthrough 2 is completed, enemies all over Pandora will scale to that new level cap. That means that the end-game will be a challenge and there will be much better loot.

I'll second the opinion on Trine. However, I would recommend a controller (Xbox 360 if you have it) over the mouse & keyboard controls of Trine. It really gives you that classic platformer feel. The music/story/narration is very good.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Bit.Trip BEAT is out on Steam, but they want $9.99 (or $8.99 launch special) for it, versus $6 on Wii. fuck that! Sucks, because I wanted to get the PC version.

Also, to all you tasteless jerks who won't shell out a mere $4.49 for the second-best game of 2010 (after Super Meat Boy), you can get a 50% off discount code for Bloody Good Time over on RockPaperShotgun. No excuses. Buy it! And seriously, don't sign up for one of these codes if you're not going to use it. If you don't want the game, then leave the code for someone who will use it.

Oh, and apparently, to use the code, you need to buy the game on Ubisoft's store, where you'll use the code on checkout, and they'll send you a CD-key to register on Steam. So, if you aren't willing to take this extra step, again, don't take a code that could be used by someone else.[/QUOTE]

Awww man, I already bought BGT for $4 & change.... :)

Not sure if it's due to the new patch or if something has gotten broken on my machine or what, but Borderlands post-patch is crashing like crazy. Game used to be quite stable and would almost never crash, but I've had 5 CTDs today alone.

Verifying the files on Steam and downloading the latest video driver (I was running beta 260 Nvidia drivers, downloading the release version now). Hopefully that'll clear it up. Be annoying if Gearbox ended up breaking the PC version with what is supposed to be (As far as I know) the last patch.

Sheesh. Downloaded patch earlier today, was 40 or so megs. Launched game and had issues. Did verify files, 4 files failed to verify and redownloaded, still had issues. Later in the evening and I verify files again, 2 files fail to verify, game still has issues. Just verified AGAIN and got 2 more files that failed to verify and am currently downloading all 80 megs of them.

Sounding like it got mangled by the patch somehow instead of a driver issue.

That's really unfortunate to hear Squee. Sure hope you get it figured out soon and that it's patched quickly if it is indeed the blame is on the patch.

I haven't had time yet to try it out, so I can't say how it runs on my machine. I guess I'll hope for the best when I play.

YE GODS. Immediately hit verify files again after those 80 megs of 2 files finished, found 2 more files it didn't like, downloading 200 megs now.

I kinda think I'm the only one getting this. I looked at the Steam forums earlier and didn't see anyone with similar issues, and looked at Gearbox's PC support forum and didn't see similar issues. No idea why it got chewed up so bad since I didn't do any mods or anything. Only weird program I ran relating to Borderlands was the config editor, which is only supposed to change an ini file as far as I know.

Crazy coincidence that just yesterday I happened to notice when DL-ing Shadowgrounds: Survivor that they (FrozenByte) also did Trine, and I was lamenting not getting it last (holiday?) sale. Wootzor!

love trine picked it up during the holiday sale, ended picking up a gameshare of it for ps3 as well, and an extra pc copy as a gift for a a friend, and a gameshare slot for a different friend neither of which have played it sigh.

Magic: The Gathering Expansion 3 is out now for $5. It's pretty nice, just like the first two.

BUT...

The devs fixed exactly 0 issues with this update. It's terrible how little they care about the PC community, except for taking our money. Magic is a great game hindred by all kinds of issues that will apparently never be fixed.

[quote name='slofton']I've yet to really run into any issues with Magic. Am I just lucky?[/QUOTE]

Same case for me. Only real issue I run in to is it cooks my video card unreasonably. Video card gets up to 80% fan speed while playing DotP, but playing most other games (Such as TF2) it only gets to 40-50% fan speed.

[quote name='slofton']I've yet to really run into any issues with Magic. Am I just lucky?[/QUOTE]

Have you been able to text chat with anyone, or set your voice chat options? ;)

Also, for some reason the online portion of the game has its good days and bad days. I've had many instances where I just couldn't connect with somebody, even my girlfriend who I've played with several times. No explanation, just bad net code. :(

New unannounced coming-soon update:

I'm 99% sure that the downloadable vehicular-combat Red Faction spinoff, Red Faction: Battlegrounds, which is currently publicly slated as a XBLA/PSN exclusive, will be coming to Steam. Good news, because I love this series, and I was hoping this one would show up on PC.

Grand Theft Auto Classic pack for $7.49 is really really tempting. I really want GTA San Andreas (which is also 75% off at 3.74)

[quote name='iRent']Grand Theft Auto Classic pack for $7.49 is really really tempting. I really want GTA San Andreas (which is also 75% off at 3.74)[/QUOTE]

It's pretty good, i bought the games separately on a previous sale, so the 1.25 dollar savings i lost out on could've gotten me something from a vending machine............. so angry

[quote name='slofton']I've text chatted through the Steam window, but thats really about it. lol

I generally play the campaign and thats about it[/QUOTE]

my experience has been the solo stuff is fine and the multiplayer is all kinds of glitched.

Yep, pretty much. But there is SO much fun to have in multiplayer. It'd be wonderful if you could mute yourself or other players. There is literally no way to mute the voice chat and most laptops have crappy built-in mics, which means there's all kinds of noise when playing against a laptop player (like me). You can't mute yourself except by plugging in a microphone with a built-in switch. It's stupid. And the lack of text chat in an online PC game is totally stupid.

I hate that I might have to buy a game with stupid fucking Penny Arcade shit in it, but, alas.

Also, Supreme Commander is on sale this weekend for 66% off. Just $5.10 for the base game, and $3.40 for the Infinite Battle Pack DLC.

For what it's worth, the multiplayer in the Xbox 360 version of Magic: The Gathering had problems too, particularly with randomly dropping the connection in the middle of a game.

Poker Night items in Team Fortress 2:

http://kotaku.com/5681102/how-valve-will-bribe-team-fortress-2-players-into-playing-poker

tf2_items_strong_bad.jpg

Even though I almost never play demoman, I'd be awfully tempted to use my only name tag on those glasses, name them "Gay Fish", and then use them. Wonder if they'll be hat slot or accessory slot.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Did anyone ever get the Bloody Good Time code from Rock Paper Shotgun?[/QUOTE]

I didn't get one and I entered not too long after CoffeeEdge's post. Bummer.

The older GTA games aren't even available from the Australian Steam store and the pack for $7.50 would be a great replacement for my old lost GTA3 disc and finally have legit copies of the other games.

Can some kind CAG help me out with this? Please send me a PM and let me know who to transfer to on PayPal.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for these kinds of requests. I looked around and couldn't find anywhere better but if there is just let me know and I'll take this there.

Cheers.

bread's done
Back