The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

how is it compared to say the original ghost recon or the earlier rainbow 6 games? i already bought 2 copies but haven't tried it yet, it won't be done downloading for a bit.

[quote name='crystalklear64']how is it compared to say the original ghost recon or the earlier rainbow 6 games?[/QUOTE]

If that's what you're into, you're probably going to be disappointed by how dumbed-down it is. Still, I guess if you can look at it on it's own, you might have a sliver of a chance of enjoying it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']There will be a slight temporary boost from people who are buying it because it's $3, but for the most part, yeah, pretty dead. The best you can do is play co-op with your friends, if you can arrange it.

I really, really don't like the game. It kind of occupies a space in-between Battlefield and ARMA, and it just doesn't really work. I hope there is a good deal on ARMA, at some point, because those games are truly awesome.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up. Guess I'll hang onto my three bucks. That said, ARMA2 is on sale on Amazons download service for $12.50.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']To everyone who didn't waste $3 on Operation Flashpoint 2 yesterday: Buy ARMA II today, instead.[/QUOTE]

on amazon as it's an extra 2.50 for double the content. Cheapest it will be for a long time for the both of them

Today they had Dragon Age for half off. It was tough to pick between Red Faction, Arkham Asylum, and Dragon Age. So torn. Last year steam had the bestsellers on the last day at the same daily discount and I hope they continue that this year.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I already have Ass's Creed II on PS3 in my backlog. I wonder if the PC version is better?[/QUOTE]

The shit DRM makes it not worth it.

Do you guys recommended picking up the Witcher for $5? I dont really like RPG's but this got great reviews and I liked Dragon Age Origins. Thoughts?

[quote name='gbpackers94']Do you guys recommended picking up the Witcher for $5? I dont really like RPG's but this got great reviews and I liked Dragon Age Origins. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

YES.
YES.
YES.

Also, YES.

It's much better than Dragon Age.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Thanks I'm downloading it now. Any other cheap recommendations?[/QUOTE]

What kind of games are you looking for?

But some really can't-miss recommendations are Super Meat Boy, and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Meat Boy, especially, is just about the best game released this year.

Well so far I've gotten the BTTF game, Machinarium, Age of Empires III, Deus Ex, Civ IV, Witcher, Plants vs. Zombies, and Portal. I like action/adventure games mostly.
ALSO- I'm mainly looking for PC exclusives and games that are far superior on the PC.

Bought Serious Sam today. Anyone know where I can find a list of console commands, specifically ones to uncap my FPS/turn vsync off and change my FOV?

Picked up the killing floor. Seems like a decent enough game for 7 dollars. Anybody want to play? Send a request to MrBryson if you need someone to play with.

[quote name='SEH']Bought Serious Sam today. Anyone know where I can find a list of console commands, specifically ones to uncap my FPS/turn vsync off and change my FOV?[/QUOTE]

Augh, why would you turn off Vsync?

Hope you're enjoying the game.

Slofton, I hear Neverwinter Nights 2 is fantastic, but I can';t afford to get it right now.

God, these sales have been killing my wallet!

Picked up The Witcher, Super Meat Boy, BF:BC2, Killing Floor pack, F.E.A.R. pack, and the Serious Sam HD pack.

Not home at the moment, but I'll be trying Killing Floor when I do.

So tomorrow I'm going to the bank to put in money for Steam sales and a new graphics card so I can play games. Probably gonna get Audiosurf, CSS, and Left 4 Dead 2, maybe more depending on what's on sale tomorrow.

But I had a question. I know games have controller support, but I only have a PS3 controller, is there ways to get them working with controller-enabled games? I'm on Windows 7 if it matters.

[quote name='Jmclark']But I had a question. I know games have controller support, but I only have a PS3 controller, is there ways to get them working with controller-enabled games? I'm on Windows 7 if it matters.[/QUOTE]

Yes. http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-on-a-pc/

Even if the game is not 'controller-enabled', you can make any and all PC games work with gamepads using free programs like Joy2Key.

Any thoughts on Power of Defense? Also anyone know how long it takes to learn to play Victoria? I saw in a review or two that it takes 2 or 3 hours just to learn how to play the game, but someone else said thats true.

In an Australian forum I visit, there's some discussion of the Steam sale and how to get access to cheaper US pricing on some items. A few people in there are using VPNs and prepaid US debit cards to purchase from the US store. One, possibly two of them have had their Steam accounts banned and have lost access to all their games.

In the last month or so, I've been helped out by sevaral people on this forum who have gifted me games that I paid for by doing a PayPal transfer to them. I have also bought several multi-copy packs and sold off most of the extra copies to people on here at the price they cost me. What's the deal here? Is this totally allowed? I can't see how Valve could detect the difference between this and friends sending each other gifts apart from maybe the games gifted and the number of gifts sent to / from an account and even if they could, no profit is being made.

I'd make the argument that the net result is that Valve end up selling a copy of a game they otherwise wouldn't have but that justification also applies to people using a VPN. I guess the difference is that the VPN method is working around the system whereas organising a gift through here is working within it. What do you guys think? I'd hate to lose my 150+ game Steam library, especially because a large chunk of that is unplayed backlog.

[quote name='theGieche']In an Australian forum I visit, there's some discussion of the Steam sale and how to get access to cheaper US pricing on some items. A few people in there are using VPNs and prepaid US debit cards to purchase from the US store. One, possibly two of them have had their Steam accounts banned and have lost access to all their games.

In the last month or so, I've been helped out by sevaral people on this forum who have gifted me games that I paid for by doing a PayPal transfer to them. I have also bought several multi-copy packs and sold off most of the extra copies to people on here at the price they cost me. What's the deal here? Is this totally allowed? I can't see how Valve could detect the difference between this and friends sending each other gifts apart from maybe the games gifted and the number of gifts sent to / from an account and even if they could, no profit is being made.

I'd make the argument that the net result is that Valve end up selling a copy of a game they otherwise wouldn't have but that justification also applies to people using a VPN. I guess the difference is that the VPN method is working around the system whereas organising a gift through here is working within it. What do you guys think? I'd hate to lose my 150+ game Steam library, especially because a large chunk of that is unplayed backlog.[/QUOTE]

While it is against their TOS to use their games for sale or redistribution, I can't possibly imagine how they could track this. Granted, they have the right to do whatever they'd like but it'd be hard for them to prove that's what you did.

The best bet for that is to pay us yanks for gift copies. Using proxies and stuff is much easier to detect and ban.

I find the situation amusing—pricing differences of digital goods in this age of global interconnectedness. Also, chagrin that I have Steam friends in the UK and Australia, where the differences aren't as significant as with Eurozone 1/2.

[youtube]deGeY6Ibb0E[/youtube][youtube]3phjAWwY4Ks[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/29

[youtube]b8AMJriX2mA[/youtube][youtube]oDSrJdj06j4[/youtube]

So many good games on sale today!

I bought Archon -- backlog be damned! I played the original on an Apple, so this one should be fun.

For 4 bucks I shouldn't even hesitate about PvZ, but I'm trying to be rational.

[quote name='GrimmGrinn']Oh man, i missed Global Agenda sale. Is it possible there's a 2nd chance sale like on xmas day? xD[/QUOTE]

Very possible. Very likely.

I do wonder if they'll just do a best of the 2nd week or a best of the entire sales...

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Steam? Every time I open it I get the error message that Steam cannot connect to the internet and it asks me if I want to start in offline mode. Whenever I go to Steams website it won't load and just says unknown location. Any ideas?

Alright, I could use a little bit of advice...

I really want Mass Effect again, since I played it a few years ago, and it might be a few months before I'm able to pick up a PS3 again and play Mass Effect 2. I have a $10 off EA store coupon, which would bump Mass Effect down to $4.95 (and a few other games free.) Being a little bit of a neat freak, I'd want to have Mass Effect through Steam, so how different exactly is it when you add a non-Steam game? I have ~$10 left to burn on games in this sale, but I might end up going over... I've been thinking, and would I want 3 or 4 indie games that I might get a few hours of fun out of, or spend the $5 on Mass Effect and get one other indie game?

So, essentially what I'm asking is if anybody thinks Mass Effect might drop to 75% off before the end of the sale, since it already was down to 50% off... And also if having a non-Steam game through your Steam library is odd at all? Thanks!

Vulgarism adding a non-Steam game won't affect your gameplay experience. You'll have to manually download patches instead of Steam automatically downloading them, but it's not a huge deal.

I just prefer to own all of my PC games on Steam these days, but you missed the Mass Effect daily deal apparently, so the EA thing may be your best option.

[quote name='eastx']Vulgarism adding a non-Steam game won't affect your gameplay experience. You'll have to manually download patches instead of Steam automatically downloading them, but it's not a huge deal.

I just prefer to own all of my PC games on Steam these days, but you missed the Mass Effect daily deal apparently, so the EA thing may be your best option.[/QUOTE]

I just said what the hell and did it, thanks! I figure if it does drop to 75% off on Steam one of these days, they can revel in the knowledge that I would be upset with them for a few minutes, and then give them more money. Kind of curious to see how much they make off these sales, too...

They haven't updated anything in awhile, but it's pretty good. Getting a decent ping to servers is the biggest problem as I don't think there are any true dedicated servers up at the moment, it's just all local crap. Every time my friend and I want to play, he has to start a dedicated on his separate PC since he's got T3 internet. So far that's been the only way to get a game that's not laggy as hell.

Can I activate my GFWL games on Steam? Specifically Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition.

I searched but couldn't find any clear answer.

[quote name='Flak']Can I activate my GFWL games on Steam? Specifically Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition.

I searched but couldn't find any clear answer.[/QUOTE]

Not unless it's in the list of games that can be activated on Steam that I link to in the first post.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Hey CoffeeEdge, since the Kohan games just showed up on Impulse, any idea if they're coming to Steam?[/QUOTE]

No info on that, sorry.

On that note, here's some crap that IS coming:
  • Armada 2526
  • Company of Heroes Online (the new free-to-play/freemium version of CoH)
  • Detour (a strategy game, where the goal is to create a path for trucks to pass. Possibly like an RTS inspired by Blast Corps, conceptually).
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale (I'm hoping this is decent, because I like the idea of a simpler co-op D&D game)
  • Hydrophobia (this will be the new "Pure" version of the game, which massively updates and improves on the original XBLA version. The original version was really rough and hard to recommend, but the Pure update makes it very much a worthwhile game, especially for the $10 pricetag)
  • Kaptain Brawe (new point-n-click adventure)
  • Rock of Ages (insanely brilliant-looking new game from the creators of Zeno Clash)
  • Tropico IV
  • Unknown game(s) from Mediatonic Games (might be Monsters Probably Stole My Princess)
  • Unknown game(s) from Rockin Android (I've been waiting for these guys to finally get on Steam!)
  • Zombie Pirates (what it sounds like)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Company of Heroes Online (the new free-to-play/freemium version of CoH)
[/QUOTE]

That game plays very well. Had some issues with commands in the beginning of the beta but they are fixing and patching things quite nicely. Did not know it was on STEAM though. Going to add a secondary link to my thread to cover that.

bread's done
Back