The Steig Larsson Trilogy

sixteenvolt420

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
The Steig Larsson Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / The Girl Who Played with Fire / The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest)

51rcskLDSkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The cheapest pre-order price i've found is at amazon. The price is $51.99 shipped. Anybody find it listed cheaper somewhere else?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=497897351&pf_rd_i=193640011

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn excellent movies, for those who know Scandinavian or can stand subtitles!
I'm eagerly awaiting watching the final film.
If/when these drop in price, I'd def. consider picking them up.

I guess they didn't want to go with the "Millennium Trilogy" in the US?
I'm not sure how the Hollywood version of "Dragon Tattoo" is going to turn out.

[quote name='Vader582']Damn excellent movies, for those who know Scandinavian or can stand subtitles!
I'm eagerly awaiting watching the final film.
If/when these drop in price, I'd def. consider picking them up.

I guess they didn't want to go with the "Millennium Trilogy" in the US?
I'm not sure how the Hollywood version of "Dragon Tattoo" is going to turn out.[/QUOTE]

They all have english 5.1 audio as well.

[quote name='Vader582']I'm not sure how the Hollywood version of "Dragon Tattoo" is going to turn out.[/QUOTE]

It's being directed by David Fincher, so I have high hopes.

[quote name='myka22']All three of these are available on netflix instant watch.[/quote]

Yeah, they're on my instant queue. Gotta get off my documentary binge first though.

I liked these movies a lot, but I think I'm going to hold out until fall when the extended versions (about two hours longer total between the three movies) are supposed to be released here.

I'm mixed. I've read the books and most of what got left out of the movies was fluff (especially the third book) that made the books drag at times.

So if the extended movies (just the 2nd and 3rd as they were made as TV mini-series in Sweden, only the first was a theatrical film from the start) just add that stuff in I don't have much interest.

That said, these are on Netflix streaming as noted, and the first has been up for a long time, so they may not get removed. So I probably won't bother buying anyway unless I want to watch in the future and they're no longer available to stream.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm mixed. I've read the books and most of what got left out of the movies was fluff (especially the third book) that made the books drag at times.

So if the extended movies (just the 2nd and 3rd as they were made as TV mini-series in Sweden, only the first was a theatrical film from the start) just add that stuff in I don't have much interest.[/QUOTE]

There's a (somewhat broken English) listing of what was added/changed in the extended versions here (potential spoilers, of course):

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=880139
http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=363928
http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=546680

From the sound of it, the first movie didn't necessarily particularly benefit from the extension (though it doesn't sound like it was hurt by it either), but some of the more confusing and undeveloped parts of the latter two movies are fleshed out a bit more.

It's probably going to be YMMV on whether you prefer the extended cut or the theatrical one. Ideally, I'm hoping that when it comes out it includes both, though that may be expecting too much.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Why don't they just call it "The Girl That Does Shit" trilogy?[/QUOTE]

I agree.

They should just call the Bourne Identity Trilogy, "That Guy Who Doesn't Remember Who He Is But Is Actually A Super Spy That Kicks Everybody's Ass"

[quote name='arcane93']
From the sound of it, the first movie didn't necessarily particularly benefit from the extension (though it doesn't sound like it was hurt by it either), but some of the more confusing and undeveloped parts of the latter two movies are fleshed out a bit more.

It's probably going to be YMMV on whether you prefer the extended cut or the theatrical one. Ideally, I'm hoping that when it comes out it includes both, though that may be expecting too much.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. From those details I don't think I'd have much interest in the extended versions. Having read the books I didn't have any problems following the 2nd to movies, and most of what they added back from those articles are the extra details and subplots that aren't crucial to the main story.

The theatrical cuts did a good job of cutting out the fat of the novels and getting down to the meat of the story IMO.

[quote name='Squarehard']I agree.

They should just call the Bourne Identity Trilogy, "That Guy Who Doesn't Remember Who He Is But Is Actually A Super Spy That Kicks Everybody's Ass"[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Anyway, the thread title isn't the actually title of the set.

The full title from the box per the picture above is "Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo Trilogy." which is pretty much what Jason suggested anyway. :D

Millennium Trilogy wouldn't have much name recognition as it's not in the title of any of the books or movies, and something most aren't going to know what it refers to without having read the books or seen at least one of the movies.

I bought each one from Amazon in my Gold Box for $18.99 as they came out. I never read the books, but I thought they were fantastic.

Ugh and screw dubbing, just read the subs for this one. It shoulda just been called "Noomi Rapace is a badass trilogy"

Pretty good adaptations of the books, IMO.

My only complaint was that I felt the third film made some logic leaps by leaving out huge chunks of the story that I can imagine anyone who hadn't read the books just being seriously confused. Also I wanted to see some of the court scenes late in the 3rd book play out on screen and there was almost none of that in the movie.

Specifically the cross examination of Teleborian comes to mind, one of my favorite scenes in the third book

[quote name='arcane93']I liked these movies a lot, but I think I'm going to hold out until fall when the extended versions (about two hours longer total between the three movies) are supposed to be released here.[/QUOTE]

Where did you here that the extended versions are being released here?

[quote name='dmaul1114']:applause:

Millennium Trilogy wouldn't have much name recognition as it's not in the title of any of the books or movies, and something most aren't going to know what it refers to without having read the books or seen at least one of the movies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, because people are dumb, but media is partially to blame also.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7822895-the-millennium-trilogy

Oh, and if you haven't read the books the go ahead and watch it first and you might like these movies. I saw the movies after reading the books and while I think they're not bad they could be much much better. Movies feel disjointed at more than few points, cast is what mostly keeps everything together. Hopefully Fincher's movies will feel more fluid.

bread's done
Back