The Texas budget is in big trouble. Any thoughts from conservatives?

Read example
http://www.politifact.com/georgia/s...abato/education-level-tied-voting-tendencies/

And anyone can go to college these days, you be surprise at the crap that can pass for college and actually allowed to be called colleges.

A education mean a place where knowledge is unbiased and not "up for interpretation"

The REDdest of all the states, a majority of them have the worst rating education-wise and those states also happens to have a larger WHITE population compared to minorities

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Read example
http://www.politifact.com/georgia/s...abato/education-level-tied-voting-tendencies/

And anyone can go to college these days, you be surprise at the crap that can pass for college and actually allowed to be called colleges.

A education mean a place where knowledge is unbiased and not "up for interpretation"

The REDdest of all the states, a majority of them have the worst rating education-wise and those states also happens to have a larger WHITE population compared to minorities[/QUOTE]

In one of the sources from your example:

http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/23/a-closer-look-at-the-parties-in-2012/

You can clearly see that college graduates among white voters are nearly tied, with a slight advantage to the Republican party in 2012, and a slight disadvantage to the Republican party in 2008.
8-23-12-3.png

Here's another link that suggests an increase in Republican voters based on income — higher income means more likely to vote Republican.

http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/...mericas-whites-from-the-masses-to-the-elites/
incedu5.png

In 2000, the Republican party has a clear advantage in white voters with a college degree, the numbers start to change after Bush's first term, in which lower income graduates tend to vote Democrat, but the Republican party still holds the majority on mid and high income graduates.

As you get to the highest levels of education, people with at least a graduate degree, you begin to see a shift away from the Republican party.

Also, many classes do not involve politics at all, so why do you keep acting like all knowledge has political leanings. You can get a college degree with little or no political influence, e.g. programmer.

Note: I'm not forgetting about the impact minorities would have on these numbers, but they tend to vote Democrat either way for many specific reasons that wouldn't directly apply to the average white voter.

[quote name='ID2006']

Also, many classes do not involve politics at all, so why do you keep acting like all knowledge has political leanings. You can get a college degree with little or no political influence, e.g. programmer.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should take some classes at Regent University ... Pat Robertson stomping grounds.. I heard the BS degrees at that college is really BSssssss :applause:

http://www.boston.com/news/educatio..._spotlight_on_christian_law_school/?page=full

You forgot to mention that teabaggers, as a group, tend to have more college degrees and higher income than average. Not saying that it means they're smarter or more knowledgeable of course, but just that they have degrees.

your charts and all on college grad is nonsense unless it shows which colleges were part of the focus groups.
If they consider schools like Regent as a "real college" we have skewed numbers.

[quote name='dohdough']You forgot to mention that teabaggers, as a group, tend to have more college degrees and higher income than average. Not saying that it means they're smarter or more knowledgeable of course, but just that they have degrees.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that or get that specific, but the word educated has a pretty clear meaning. Having an education does not inherently mean socially liberal or fiscally liberal. I'm just trying to make that clear; there are a lot of Republicans who are not religious and are not stupid in general. I'm quite aware of our country's state of education — which, in fact, is improving in the public school sector, and is considered exceptional in the areas of higher education. The problems with higher education are primarily cost, not quality, from what I've read.

Here's a quick read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...wrong-about-americas-education-system/267278/

I'm most concerned about History still being a pariah among American educations. The whitewashing is still a major problem in my opinion, yet it continues to receive very little attention.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Maybe you should take some classes at Regent University ... Pat Robertson stomping grounds.. I heard the BS degrees at that college is really BSssssss :applause:

http://www.boston.com/news/educatio..._spotlight_on_christian_law_school/?page=full[/QUOTE]

It's somewhat amusing that you're so hung up on these religious colleges. Why don't you channel your hostility into providing some statistics of how many people graduate from these colleges whose names you've memorized in total versus all colleges in total.

[quote name='ID2006']I didn't notice that or get that specific, but the word educated has a pretty clear meaning. Having an education does not inherently mean socially liberal or fiscally liberal. I'm just trying to make that clear; there are a lot of Republicans who are not religious and are not stupid in general. I'm quite aware of our country's state of education — which, in fact, is improving in the public school sector, and is considered exceptional in the areas of higher education. The problems with higher education are primarily cost, not quality, from what I've read.

Here's a quick read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...wrong-about-americas-education-system/267278/[/quote]
I agree that access is a problem and to me, the reasons are pretty clear. The article decided to focus on economic status, which isn't a poor metric and better than lumping public schools systems together, but things like race and urban/suburban(there are poor-ish suburbs out there)/rural environment shed greater light on the "why" that it's asking.

I'm most concerned about History still being a pariah among American educations. The whitewashing is still a major problem in my opinion, yet it continues to receive very little attention.
It's hard to build a narrative around grave-digging religious isolationists or freedom loving rich white men that brutally enslaved thousands of people in order to perpetuate a system based on exploitation(in the Marxist sense of the word)...and the Narrative is oh so important.

It's somewhat amusing that you're so hung up on these religious colleges. Why don't you channel your hostility into providing some statistics of how many people graduate from these colleges whose names you've memorized in total versus all colleges in total.
Well, let's be honest here, those institutions of "higher" learning are meant to be alternatives to "liberal" institutions. It's not like they're HBCU's.

[quote name='ID2006']

It's somewhat amusing that you're so hung up on these religious colleges. Why don't you channel your hostility into providing some statistics of how many people graduate from these colleges whose names you've memorized in total versus all colleges in total.[/QUOTE]

I am just saying these days "college" has a real liberal meaning, cause any joe jerkoff can start a "college" and call it a school...

So if you going to say "college grad", I much rather you tell me which college you went to, instead of saying you are a college grad.

And its not a religious college, its a right wing college, where all materials are biased. And its evident because their law school is worthless degree wise. Since it is a school for right-wing indoctrination, and not un-bias as other colleges..

Right-wingers have no problem calling anything or anyone who don't jive with their thought process as liberals... They probably even would call a dog liberal, if a dog isn't friendly around them...

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']I am just saying these days "college" has a real liberal meaning, cause any joe jerkoff can start a "college" and call it a school...

So if you going to say "college grad", I much rather you tell me which college you went to, instead of saying you are a college grad.

And its not a religious college, its a right wing college, where all materials are biased. And its evident because their law school is worthless degree wise. Since it is a school for right-wing indoctrination, and not un-bias as other colleges..

Right-wingers have no problem calling anything or anyone who don't jive with their thought process as liberals... They probably even would call a dog liberal, if a dog isn't friendly around them...[/QUOTE]

You just live in your own little bubble it seems. Which colleges are you referring to and can you give us come concrete numbers for these schools?

[quote name='dohdough']I agree that access is a problem and to me, the reasons are pretty clear. The article decided to focus on economic status, which isn't a poor metric and better than lumping public schools systems together, but things like race and urban/suburban(there are poor-ish suburbs out there)/rural environment shed greater light on the "why" that it's asking.[/QUOTE]

True, true. But at least it's something.

It's hard to build a narrative around grave-digging religious isolationists or freedom loving rich white men that brutally enslaved thousands of people in order to perpetuate a system based on exploitation(in the Marxist sense of the word)...and the Narrative is oh so important.
I know, it's just a shame. I don't expect it to change, though I'd love if it did for mostly obvious reasons.

Well, let's be honest here, those institutions of "higher" learning are meant to be alternatives to "liberal" institutions. It's not like they're HBCU's.
Again, I'm not disputing that, but I'm questioning how pervasive degrees from these places are in the percentage of 4 year degrees of Republicans and Democrats.

For a simple example, just because WBC is extremely outspoken and gets a lot of attention doesn't mean that a large percentage of people agree with them or make use of their establishment. I'd imagine that Republicans at Community Colleges and non-religious universities far outnumber them, if only because job resumes and applications are taken more seriously when from a noted university than from a religious college of low repute.

There are a lot of degrees and jobs out there with requirements that aren't politically or religiously informed.

Another point I forgot to make that Finger is overlooking is the degree numbers would include older people as well. And the Republican party only started moving to these extremes and pushing people away in the past 15 years or so. You can see a shift because there's a light generational shift in opinions and beliefs. The Democratic Party is adapting whereas the Republican party is not, and is thus seeing fewer youth voters.

This could be an interesting topic to revisit in another two years. Someone set a calendar.
So, it's not quite been two years, but...

2014-07-19%2016.43.11_zpstvuda9gw.jpg

In other news, Illinois residents are leaving the state in droves...
http://quincyjournal.com/above-the-fold/2014/07/06/illinois-losing-residents-at-a-rate-of-1-person-every-10-minutes/

And jobs in Illinois?
http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/2014/07/07/reeder-indiana-economy-outperforming-illinois/ac688sf/

Ha. Oh, and there's even a line in this article about Texas...
Texas led all states with 48,400 new private-sector jobs, according to the federal labor statistics.
And the, there's the "temporary" income tax hike from back in 2011. Illinois State Income Tax went from 3.5% to 5% and is set to expire this year. However, the state is crying that this "temporary" tax rolling back is going to cause a huge deficit and that we need to keep it...

So, that's how things are going in the great state of Illinois.

Texas isn't in trouble. They are the number 1 State right now for businesses to migrate too because of their lower taxes. They have one of the best economies right now actually.

And you quoted Paul Krugman.. the same liberal a-hole who repeatedly lies when he pretends to cite "facts" and has been called out on it many times. The only reason he still has a career is because the mainstream media loves him. He is actually a huge idiot.

If you want a state that is in trouble look no further than California where record numbers of Californians are actually MOVING to Texas. I think we should find out which one of them are liberal and ban them from moving since they hate conservatives so much and think Rick Perry is a dolt. They should put their money where there mouth is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would accuse RPG of using Madlibs for his post, but he wouldnt go near anything with "lib" in the name.
Quite the contrary. You have to confront the liberals head on. They wilt under the microscope when they try to present lies they consider as "facts".

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/us/gov-rick-perry-of-texas-is-indicted-over-veto-of-funds-for-das-office.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Rick Perry got indicted for abusing his power by forcing a Democrat local district attorney to resign her post after her drunk driving arrest by threatening to cut funding to her office. Her office was investigating one of his pet projects, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, which has been accused of misappropriating funds. He faces over a century in prison if convicted, but he'll get off easy.

Of course, you gotta wonder how to get Obama, with actual evidence cause derpa a derp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm.

Doesn't seem like a horrible thing. "Stupid person in charge of office - not giving that office money as long as they're in charge."

Granted, I'm sure the actual Drunk Driving incident had *nothing* to do with Mr. Perry's actual decision-making process beyond "Here's a reason..."

Hm.

Doesn't seem like a horrible thing. "Stupid person in charge of office - not giving that office money as long as they're in charge."

Granted, I'm sure the actual Drunk Driving incident had *nothing* to do with Mr. Perry's actual decision-making process beyond "Here's a reason..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/us/gov-rick-perry-of-texas-is-indicted-over-veto-of-funds-for-das-office.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
Rick Perry got indicted for abusing his power by forcing a Democrat local district attorney to resign her post after her drunk driving arrest by threatening to cut funding to her office. He faces over a century in prison if convicted, but he'll get off easy.

Of course, you gotta wonder how to get Obama, with actual evidence cause derpa a derp.
Typical liberal witch hunt and a waste of time. He basically got indicted for not lying and going forward with his previous statements. Something Obama could learn from.

Only in this country can a guy like Rick Perry who governs a state with some of the highest job growth in the country gets "indicted". But yeah not one abuse of power from Obama.

Typical liberal witch hunt and a waste of time. He basically got indicted for not lying and going forward with his previous statements. Something Obama could learn from.

Only in this country can a guy like Rick Perry who governs a state with some of the highest job growth in the country gets "indicted". But yeah not one abuse of power from Obama.
Why should he get immunity from being indicted just because his state has high job growth? What a stupid thing to say.

Besides, most people seem to think there isn't evidence of actual abuse of power w.r.t. Perry's line item veto.

How long did it take you to find that from 5 years ago.. yeah both sides do it, but one does it a hell of a lot more than the other. Derp

Roughly twenty seconds with a Google search. Five years may be a real long time, but it's easy to remember stuff like that.

Which is worse - the political head of a state forcing a state employee to resign over drunk driving charges or the political head of a State forcing a private employee to resign because he didn't like the financial performance of the private company?

I get fired immediately if convicted of DUI. The accountability standards in our country are wayyy out of balance.

So my political party does it less so its ok. Derp.
The best/worst part of the whole "both sides do it, but one is better than the other" train of thought (that sooooo many folks around here have a lifetime pass to ride) is that it just continues to support the two-party system and is basically them saying "Yeah, they're all corrupt, dirty sleeze bags, but what are ya gonna do? not vote for them?"

The best/worst part of the whole "both sides do it, but one is better than the other" train of thought (that sooooo many folks around here have a lifetime pass to ride) is that it just continues to support the two-party system and is basically them saying "Yeah, they're all corrupt, dirty sleeze bags, but what are ya gonna do? not vote for them?"
If only there was a third party.. oh wait.

Texas: $18 Billion Surplus "despite slumping oil price..."
http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/How-we-would-spend-18-billion-in-Texas-budget-6015174.php

The most powerful city in the entire state is built on oil income. Dallas is a distant second and the rest aren't even near Houston. Houston is a monster and it's mostly oil (scuse me, "energy").
Illinois: $9 Billion Deficit "so big that even fully reversing the income tax cut that took effect Jan. 1 would close "only about half" the gap projected for the next several years..."
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150119/BLOGS02/150119831/illinois-budget-deficit-twice-as-bad-as-you-think

Here in Illinois, they're promoting a "temporary" increase of the state income tax - almost doubling it. Yay.

I also hate when people get self righteous and do nothing but complain about the two party system and act like a third party is going to be viable anytime soon.

This keeps happening because this is the type of people we are raising.
The closest thing to a third party we will ever get is Ted Cruz.

We all need to vote for Ted, so he can hopefully save this country before we become a Communist wasteland.

"Yet compensating differentials such as affordable housing, well-paying jobs, business-friendly laws, and low taxes enable states to overcome natural limitations such as poor climate, geography, or limited resources." This sentence reminds me of that fact that one believes that to solve any problem especially environmental or civic, one can throw money at it. Of course, this can only be assumed private citizens are willing or able to make that investment.

It's funny how Kansas doesn't figure in the top 10 when it has practically no taxes for business, and it has done alot to discourage the existence of a poor class.

That study is somewhat interesting, although I think natural resources probably plays a bigger role more then anything else for a place such as North Dakota and Texas.  I think for Illinois, the corruption that has been going on for decades is probably a big factor.  I think without the research triangle, no one would be moving to North Carolina, I find that the cost of living is similar to Oregon.  Just my thoughts of course. :)

Called it. Didn't know the rebuttal was ging to be Wikipedia...

I'd be happy to read such an article that compares the economies of these kinds of states and tries to piece together why a state like Texas is doing above average while states like California and Illinois are sinking.
Not surprised the best Myke could come up with is linking to Wikipedia.

horseshit data, horseshit results, guys.

I bet you think Tom Brady's deflated footballs are more of an offense than what Stephen Moore did with those data.

Lee, Deron (July 31, 2014). "Why one editor won’t run any more op-eds by the Heritage Foundation’s top economist". Columbia Journalism Review.

Hiltzik, Michael (8/5/2014). "A newspaper fact-checks its own right-wing op-ed; hilarity ensues". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 13 August 2014. Check date values in: |date= (help)

there it isn't wikipedia anymore.
You have attached rocket boosters and achieved the first successful launch of a goal post into orbit. Congrats.

Let's try again:
I'd be happy to read such an article that compares the economies of these kinds of states and tries to piece together why a state like Texas is doing above average while states like California and Illinois are sinking.
You don't like one of the people used to compile the information in the first article. Got it.
Show me something substantial that tells me why Texas is doing pretty good and Illinois is tanking hard.

Plenty of talk about reforming the Chicago Teachers Pension Fund or transferring the teachers to the Illinois Teachers Pension System.  How viable it all is, I can't say (privatization is a nonstarter) but it's certainly been discussed.

Interestingly, that's about the most note-worthy thing to come out of not having a budget.  Schools are running, state offices are open, you can still get a driver's license, etc.  There's been virtually no shut down at all so there's very little public cry to pass a budget.  I actually had to check the other day to see if the "crisis" was still in effect since it's not even regular news these days.

bread's done
Back