The Toys R Us Clearance Thread: Itz now da Summa 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
With blessings from the big man himself...

The Toys R US clearance deals, much like the Target ones, are very YMMV. As a result of that - and the fact that the board is currently littered with TRU clearance sales - it's time to try something new.

The CAG Toys R Us Clearance Thread

The goal is to have this thread modeled after the current Target clearance thread (and its predecessor), so the basic rules are the same...

When posting what you have found, please note the location that you found it at, example:

Philadelphia, PA
Snyder Plaza

Game Name, System, Price

-----
This thread is for Clearance deals, not sale items or raincheck "scams"
Please Post City, State and Store (If City has many stores), game, system and price

Keep extraneous discussion to a minimum, as posts not pretating to clearance deals may be deleted by the mod crew.

-----
[quote name='shrike4242']If you hunt around through the forums and look for posts by tubtub and benboxer (our resident TRU folk), they've said that any TRU price ending in .98 can be a "variable" price, where one store has it for 5.98, while another has it for 7.98 and another for 3.98. The .98 is a "regional" price, for lack of a better term. Anything ending in .95 and .99 are chain-wide, from what I've seen from them.[/quote]

That should do it for the first post. Good luck, everyone!

[quote name='sren9']New green tag sale starts in July-look at your store calendar on homepage[/QUOTE]

Uhm that'd be great and all. I am really hopeful this will happen. But I checked the store calendar and it only lists current month happenings and since this month is June...that'd be impossible for you to see what's going on in July...now wouldn't it?

Uhm that'd be great and all. I am really hopeful this will happen. But I checked the store calendar and it only lists current month happenings and since this month is June...that'd be impossible for you to see what's going on in July...now wouldn't it?

Go to the June calendar and change "June" in the url to "July" and it will show you this July's store calendar.

Also, July 11th is the start of the next green tag sale, but it's going to be something slightly different from what I heard and there will be a few stores doing different percent offs(I think the majority are 30 with some being 50). I'd expect the list to get leaked the first week of July.

Second, the current green tag sale is ending starting 6/20. They are doing it in phases. Every single green tag item will be reduced in price to a penny(starting that Monday and every day more items are dropped through Wednesday and I think the next week more will be dropped until they all are a penny). Stores will destroy all the merchandise once it gets to a penny, so if there is something you had your eye on for the green tag sale, you better grab it now before it gets destroyed(or hope you can grab it for a penny before its destroyed, but stores are told to make sure none gets sold after it becomes a penny).

And before you complain about TRU destroying it and at least not giving it away, they do have reasons to do this. It helps them get a lot of old stuff off the floor in preparation for the next sale, helps on wasted time for returns/exchanges of the penny items, saves on processing penny transactions. It might not make sense to you, but it saves money in the long run as all the green tag items are so old they've already been all paid for to the vendors. TRU doesn't lose anything except the little profit they might have gained by selling these items cheap(although most stores have less than 15% of green tag stuff left).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's nearly impossible to scan the games with their plastic lock box. Great place for a plastic ridge.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've noticed that problem with the clear plastic security cases over the games too. I can never scan the price of PSOne games with the pricescanner in the NZone because of the way those cases are made.

[quote name='tubtub']Go to the June calendar and change "June" in the url to "July" and it will show you this July's store calendar.

Also, July 11th is the start of the next green tag sale, but it's going to be something slightly different from what I heard and there will be a few stores doing different percent offs(I think the majority are 30 with some being 50). I'd expect the list to get leaked the first week of July.

Second, the current green tag sale is ending starting 6/20. They are doing it in phases. Every single green tag item will be reduced in price to a penny(starting that Monday and every day more items are dropped through Wednesday and I think the next week more will be dropped until they all are a penny). Stores will destroy all the merchandise once it gets to a penny, so if there is something you had your eye on for the green tag sale, you better grab it now before it gets destroyed(or hope you can grab it for a penny before its destroyed, but stores are told to make sure none gets sold after it becomes a penny).

And before you complain about TRU destroying it and at least not giving it away, they do have reasons to do this. It helps them get a lot of old stuff off the floor in preparation for the next sale, helps on wasted time for returns/exchanges of the penny items, saves on processing penny transactions. It might not make sense to you, but it saves money in the long run as all the green tag items are so old they've already been all paid for to the vendors. TRU doesn't lose anything except the little profit they might have gained by selling these items cheap(although most stores have less than 15% of green tag stuff left).[/QUOTE]

Sorry Tub...

That may not the upcoming calendar...This years July calendar isn't ready until on or around June 14. Check your regs...you should know better. Even if that is next months calendar it isn't finalized yet. Being World Leader, you see these things change the friggin time cause corporate can't make up their mind.

[quote name='tubtub']Second, the current green tag sale is ending starting 6/20. They are doing it in phases. Every single green tag item will be reduced in price to a penny(starting that Monday and every day more items are dropped through Wednesday and I think the next week more will be dropped until they all are a penny). Stores will destroy all the merchandise once it gets to a penny, so if there is something you had your eye on for the green tag sale, you better grab it now before it gets destroyed(or hope you can grab it for a penny before its destroyed, but stores are told to make sure none gets sold after it becomes a penny).[/QUOTE]
I trust your info, tubtub. If that bit about the current green tag stuff dropping again is correct, then I have a few PS1 games to buy. :D So, they start dropping stuff again on the 20th...I'll be waiting. :)

And I can't wait to see what deals the new Green Tag sale brings (fingers crossed on PSone screens and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I trust your info, tubtub. If that bit about the current green tag stuff dropping again is correct, then I have a few PS1 games to buy. :D So, they start dropping stuff again on the 20th...I'll be waiting. :)

And I can't wait to see what deals the new Green Tag sale brings (fingers crossed on PSone screens and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne).[/QUOTE]

I got no beef with anyone, just that I'm skeptical since there isn't much that can be clearanced. Really what are we gonna drop? We aren't sitting a ton a crap to get rid of like last year. I think this years green tag sale is gonna be a bust.

I REALLY hope that it isn't though cause I scored a lot on last years stuff.

[quote name='Zon27']I got no beef with anyone, just that I'm skeptical since there isn't much that can be clearanced. Really what are we gonna drop? We aren't sitting a ton a crap to get rid of like last year. I think this years green tag sale is gonna be a bust.

I REALLY hope that it isn't though cause I scored a lot on last years stuff.[/QUOTE]
Oh, not to say that your info isn't a possibility, too. Sorry if it sounded like I was calling your info bunk or something. I didn't mean that at all. I just want tubtub's info to be right. ;)

I think there's some stuff that could be dropped...how about some of those cheap PS2 games? And Nocturne. TRU will drop Nocturne. THEY WILL. I demand it! :D

Bloomington MN Toys R Us had the following:

$8 Maximo: Army of Zin (I picked one up, there are 2 left)
$8 Sword of Mana (6 copies)
$12? 1080 Avalanche
$10 Ribbit King PS2
$5 Devil May Cry

They had quite a few other cheap games, but those stuck out.

Sorry Tub...

That may not the upcoming calendar...This years July calendar isn't ready until on or around June 14. Check your regs...you should know better. Even if that is next months calendar it isn't finalized yet. Being World Leader, you see these things change the friggin time cause corporate can't make up their mind

Zon, that is this July's calendar. It was sent through an e-mail link to the stores for a camp geoffrey activity, but I was just posting an easy way to get to it. The calendar is constantly being updated(this one was last updated 6/1/2005), but whats on it usually stays with some things being added.

Green tag may or may not happen. I was told by someone it would be a green tag sale again this summer but stores would use different %s off. Who knows whats going to happen next month yet as the new ones listed starting 7/11 and ending 7/19(a Monday and then a Tuesday...weird days to start and end sales). This could just be a week for stores to make sure all green tag stuff was destroyed and to finish cleaning up from the last one. And there are quite a few action figures and things throughout the store to put on sale, not as much as last time but still a ton. The video game department has the least, but still theres all those value games that were $15 during Christmas(we've got tons of them) and other things.

So, I guess we'll all find out soon, hopefully it's good news for us caggers.

I dont know how you tell whats on sale at the Tally TRU Coffee Edge. When Im in there I just look at all the tickets and get to overwhelmed to price check any of that shiz.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I dont know how you tell whats on sale at the Tally TRU Coffee Edge. When Im in there I just look at all the tickets and get to overwhelmed to price check any of that shiz.[/QUOTE]
Well, I check out any info available on CAG, of course, but when I'm looking for stuff locally, I do it the hard way: I spend big chunks of time scanning tickets and games in the plastic shells. I have plenty of time to do such things. :)

[quote name='mdm']Bloomington MN Toys R Us had the following:

$8 Maximo: Army of Zin (I picked one up, there are 2 left)
$8 Sword of Mana (6 copies)
$12? 1080 Avalanche
$10 Ribbit King PS2
$5 Devil May Cry

They had quite a few other cheap games, but those stuck out.[/QUOTE]

Nice finds.

I normally don't check this TRU thread, but has anyone in MN seen the store closing out in Roseville? Some of the stuff are 25% off which includes video games (excluding systems) and all their toys. Just a small heads up?

I saw a bunch of copies of Hitman Contracts listed for around $20 on a red tag.

I forgot how it works...is the red tag the actual final price or does it go even lower when it is scanned?

It could be lower, since the red tags and shelf tags are not always up to date, but it's not like the green tag sale where a certain %, will be taken off when the sale is totalled at the register.

[quote name='Josef']I noticed these late last week at the KOP, PA TRU:

Chaos Legion (PS2) - $4.48
Beyond Good & Evil (PS2) - $6.48
Turok Evolution (XB) - $1.48
Fatal Frame II (PS2) - $15.98[/QUOTE]

KOP Rep'n :)

wow.. found green tags in a seattle toys r us

typing of the dead (dreamcast) - $1
perfect dark (n64) - $1
My Street (ps2) - $2.98

they had a couple other n64 and ps2 wrestling games. The games were all in a shopping cart with a hand written 90% off sign, no prices on anything, I had to get them scanned. This was the southcenter TRU.

Wow.. thats surprising your TRU still has stuff from the December/January sale. My TRUs have been cleared out since the end of March.

Hurry up and buy your green tag stuff. Today was the first day where everything is dropping to a penny and getting destroyed. Todays drops: Almost everything in R-zone and Teentronics - almost every DC and GBA item(including e-reader cards). It is all a penny, but ymmv extremely on finding it since most stores should have it destroyed. The best part, though, is if you do find anything thats left, it will ring up at a penny and then take 90% off so it will all be free!

[quote name='tubtub']Hurry up and buy your green tag stuff. Today was the first day where everything is dropping to a penny and getting destroyed. Todays drops: Almost everything in R-zone and Teentronics - almost every DC and GBA item(including e-reader cards). It is all a penny, but ymmv extremely on finding it since most stores should have it destroyed. The best part, though, is if you do find anything thats left, it will ring up at a penny and then take 90% off so it will all be free![/QUOTE]

There were specific instructions to NOT sell those items at my store. Taking, buying, or selling of the green tagged items was strictly prohibited. If anyone finds anything at their stores they probably will not be allowed to buy it.

I felt bad throwing out some perfectly good PS1 games (Deer Hunter, NCAA Football 2001, etc) and e-reader cards (including a deck of Mario Party). Kinda sad really.

What I didn't mind was throwing out the mary kate and ashley olsen music cds.

[quote name='backstrokestyles']So umm...whats stopping you from "throwing it away," then picking it up again after work?[/QUOTE]

It's being cataloged and destroyed by someone else, not me. I'll ask them but I doubt it.

[quote name='Optical']Wow.. thats surprising your TRU still has stuff from the December/January sale. My TRUs have been cleared out since the end of March.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Last week, I was in the TRU that time forgot. They still had Genesis games (Jeopardy and a Golf game) and SNES games (a couple copies of Jungle Strike) as well a few N64 sports and wrestling games.

They also still had the tickets that you take to the booth, so they were obviously behind the times.

I know this isn't the proper thread but does anyone know if there are any other games besides Mortal Kombat Deception that's $10 off this week? Is this old news?

[quote name='Red Hedgehog']Ha! Last week, I was in the TRU that time forgot. They still had Genesis games (Jeopardy and a Golf game) and SNES games (a couple copies of Jungle Strike) as well a few N64 sports and wrestling games.

They also still had the tickets that you take to the booth, so they were obviously behind the times.[/QUOTE]

How much were the Genesis, SNES and N64 game?

[quote name='tubtub']Hurry up and buy your green tag stuff. Today was the first day where everything is dropping to a penny and getting destroyed. Todays drops: Almost everything in R-zone and Teentronics - almost every DC and GBA item(including e-reader cards). It is all a penny, but ymmv extremely on finding it since most stores should have it destroyed. The best part, though, is if you do find anything thats left, it will ring up at a penny and then take 90% off so it will all be free![/QUOTE]

I got some free psone games yesterday but the funny thing was that green tag items like Crash Bash were still ringing up at $14.99.

Crash Bash was taken off the green tag list awhile ago. As for getting the items, if you bring them to the cashier, the cashier will most likely just let you get away with them or even the manager might let you get them. But yes they are supposed to be destroyed and its probably a slim chance your store didn't trash them yet, so its ymmv.

[quote name='Optical']How much were the Genesis, SNES and N64 game?[/QUOTE]

I don't quite remember since I wasn't much interested in them. The stickers on the SNES/Genesis games said $5 maybe? The N64 games were $10 or $15. I actually tried scanning them, but they wouldn't scan through the plastic case and since I wasn't really interested in any of them, I just let them go.

[quote name='Red Hedgehog']Ha! Last week, I was in the TRU that time forgot. They still had Genesis games (Jeopardy and a Golf game) and SNES games (a couple copies of Jungle Strike) as well a few N64 sports and wrestling games.

They also still had the tickets that you take to the booth, so they were obviously behind the times.[/QUOTE]

I keep thinking I'm going to find one of those or a K-Mart or something that still has sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga's, Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile buried in their bargain bin or behind a stack of Madden 99's. LOL

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I keep thinking I'm going to find one of those or a K-Mart or something that still has sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga's, Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile buried in their bargain bin or behind a stack of Madden 99's. LOL[/QUOTE]

yeah, I think the same thing with old stacks of NES games at pawn shops, like I'm just going to happen across a copy of Stadium Events... I'm just upset because I think the last time I saw PDS in a TRU was probably in 1999... At the time I though $30 or whatever was a bit too much still... I believe I ended up buying Last Bronx and Sega Touring Car for the same price....

but hey, I did find Radiant Silvergun for $14 at a mall EB as well as Shenmue II DC at another mall Gamestop for some crazy discount... so I suppose it evens out.

A few small notes:

I recieved the PSP 1 GB San Disk memory sticks yesterday. They are scanning at $149.99 (yikes). But hopefully discounts and coupons will knock the price around on that one.

I also saw a new coupon today, it was something that you get in the mail if your are on the best guest list. It's a $10 off a $60 purchase. So if you're on the best guest list, look out for those.

A small heads up. All of the green tagged video games are long gone at my store.

HOWEVER, in a box that was recieved yesterday we got in some:

GBA Sega Smash Pack ($9.99, green tagged)
GBA Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron (.01, green tagged)
GBA Star Wars Attack of the Clones (.01, green tagged)

All of these games should be adjusted to $14.99 prices soon. But for now they are the prices that I listed above. So if you can get em, then cool.

[quote name='Zon27']A few small notes:

I recieved the PSP 1 GB San Disk memory sticks yesterday. They are scanning at $149.99 (yikes). But hopefully discounts and coupons will knock the price around on that one.

I also saw a new coupon today, it was something that you get in the mail if your are on the best guest list. It's a $10 off a $60 purchase. So if you're on the best guest list, look out for those.[/QUOTE]

that coupon is good for anyone buying a new system like an xbox, ps2 or xbox 360, it is just about impossible to buy those less than msrp anywhere(except maybe bestbuy.com which has similar $10 off $100+ and $20 off $200+

[quote name='dracula']that coupon is good for anyone buying a new system like an xbox, ps2 or xbox 360, it is just about impossible to buy those less than msrp anywhere(except maybe bestbuy.com which has similar $10 off $100+ and $20 off $200+[/QUOTE]

TRU coupons never work on hardware (or diapers or formula)

Well I got the players guides for MGS1 and MGS3 at 1 penny a piece so im happy.... but there werent Green Tags anywhere, but they announced it at the store. Weird.

By the time I got to my store on Tuesday, they had already wiped the shelves of Green Tag items. :( But I did manage to find a Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow guide that was placed somewhere outside of the R-Zone, and it was a penny. :)

Do any of you guys who buy penny guides on a regular basis(as in picking up some everytime they are pennied), ever have any trouble with the employees? Or get funny looks maybe?

I'm not sure why I keep missing the boat on the penny guides. Every time I go to TRU or BB and get old ass guides scanned they are still like $20. WTF? Am I missing something?

Hey Everyone, I Live In Long Island New York & Just Called 2 Toys R Us Stores Both Told Me They Aren't Starting A New Green Tag Sale And They Just Recently Destroyed There Green Tag Inventory! If Anyone Lives On Long Island And Has Heard Different Please Post Which Stores. I Spoke To The One In Westbury And Freeport!!

[quote name='realdealchris']Hey Everyone, I Live In Long Island New York & Just Called 2 Toys R Us Stores Both Told Me They Aren't Starting A New Green Tag Sale And They Just Recently Destroyed There Green Tag Inventory! If Anyone Lives On Long Island And Has Heard Different Please Post Which Stores. I Spoke To The One In Westbury And Freeport!![/QUOTE]

Felt good posting the exact same thing in two threads?

Why won't people get it through their thick skulls not to call?
A) Chances are they know less than we do
B) If you call, you're gonna lose out. Period.

I don't believe this specific deal has been posted in this thread yet:

Just got back from my local TRU (Mayfield Heights), Dark Alliance for GC was $4.98 (couple copies), which is free after the PriceGrabber $5 rebate.

(hopefully this isn't double-posted, not sure where it went the first time I submitted)

Does the sale start on Sunday? Does anyone have a list of games yet?

Thanks... the thread is like 26 pages... too long to read it all.

[quote name='Indiana']Does the sale start on Sunday? Does anyone have a list of games yet?

Thanks... the thread is like 26 pages... too long to read it all.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Check the first post!

[quote name='Indiana']Does the sale start on Sunday? Does anyone have a list of games yet?

Thanks... the thread is like 26 pages... too long to read it all.[/QUOTE]

I work for a TRU in Western PA. We were supposed to have the complete Green Tag list Saturday morning, but it wasn't received until yesterday, mid-day. Green tags should have all been up by today, but aren't due to this delay. Today and tomorrow are going to be the big markdown days.

I can try to get a copy of the list, but can make no promises.

I went to TRU last week and they said ohh well we destroyed it all already and one of the R-zone guys said he was trying to buy it but TRU told him he couldnt even thuogh hes an employee how fuckd up is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back