The Tragical History of Doctor Mana Knightus (Banned Users Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rocko']That covers just about 90% of the users on this site, I'd say.[/quote]

I was about to say something similar to that. Just about anyone who posts interferes with someone's enjoyment. If you disagree with something someone says, you can claim interference of enjoyment. Thus, that rule is pretty much void, since it has rarely been enforced. It would be unfair to start enforcing it now.

I'm surprised CoffeeEdge has lasted as long as he has, myself.

[quote name='prmononoke']I was about to say something similar to that. Just about anyone who posts interferes with someone's enjoyment. If you disagree with something someone says, you can claim interference of enjoyment. Thus, that rule is pretty much void, since it has rarely been enforced. It would be unfair to start enforcing it now.[/QUOTE]
TMK interfered with the enjoyment of plenty of users though.

Good riddance, the guy is nothing more than a troll. Most of his threads just ended up in flame wars, and he liked it that way.

I'm all for this thread that Crotch has suggested of though.

I had no problem with Mana Knight until he took arguements about systems and made them personal. Getting personally offended by disliking a game system is too far. Also, personally insulting users like myself and MarkMan when we were contrary to his views also is unacceptable. I admit I did rile him up sometimes, but his reactions were often uncalled for.

For example, saying that I "take it up master chief's butt" because I had said something about disliking JRPGs, accusing me of piracy multiple times for using custom firmware. And telling markman to "make love to his arcade stick because he'll never get a woman" because he said the 360 version of VF5 was better. We don't need someone like that at CAG.

And the GGT thread has been 100x better since he was banned as well.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I'm surprised CoffeeEdge has lasted as long as he has, myself.[/QUOTE]

One surefire way to get this thread locked up, too, is to turn it into a "this person should be banned/unbanned" thread.

[quote name='jer7583']I admit I did rile him up sometimes, but his reactions were often uncalled for.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

Banned user thread isn't a bad idea, but I don't see a reason to have every banned person listed. Maybe users who have been using the site for more then 6 months should be listed? Still I could see the pain in just the way the discussion would lead everytime someone disagreed with the call.

Cheapy any chance you capture information in the db on why a user was banned? Maybe displaying the information when people pull up the user profile would be the easiest way to handle it. If it doesn't exists, perhaps the field to capture the necessary information could be add to the next version. Seems like the banned user request is made every month...

I say we ban DemolitionMan, he's a huge Wii and DVD fanboy. His posts are annoying, oh I love the Wii, I hate HD, blah blah.

Or what about Iamthecheapestgamer? He derails threads with his constant bitching about not spending over $10 on games, and just talks shit about anything over that amount. Yeah buddy, we get it, and don't care if you don't buy new games.

Or there's Gizmogc. He's pretty entertaining though.

[quote name='TimPV3']I say we ban DemolitionMan, he's a huge Wii and DVD fanboy. His posts are annoying, oh I love the Wii, I hate HD, blah blah.

Or what about Iamthecheapestgamer? He derails threads with his constant bitching about not spending over $10 on games, and just talks shit about anything over that amount. Yeah buddy, we get it, and don't care if you don't buy new games.

Or there's Gizmogc. He's pretty entertaining though.[/quote]

Read the post 3 above yours, sport. You're not helping the chances of this proposed thread actually happening with your "I don't like this person, ban him" nonsense.

[quote name='jer7583']I had no problem with Mana Knight until he took arguements about systems and made them personal. Getting personally offended by disliking a game system is too far. Also, personally insulting users like myself and MarkMan when we were contrary to his views also is unacceptable. I admit I did rile him up sometimes, but his reactions were often uncalled for.

For example, saying that I "take it up master chief's butt" because I had said something about disliking JRPGs, accusing me of piracy multiple times for using custom firmware. And telling markman to "make love to his arcade stick because he'll never get a woman" because he said the 360 version of VF5 was better. We don't need someone like that at CAG.

And the GGT thread has been 100x better since he was banned as well.[/quote]
I will admit I had a problem with the whole "anti-custom firmware" stance that TMK took (for about a year, homebrew was the only reason to own a PSP), but other than that, I really don't think he was that bothersome. Sure, he took things personally that shouldn't be taken personally, but he's a guy who obviously had (has) a pretty shitty social life. Of course he's going to be a bit crazy. That's no reason to ban the guy (or mock him at that). He was a generally nice guy, and if you have a problem with "take it up master chief's butt," then you should have a problem with anyone who insults someone on here, which is like...almost everyone. Really, I see more insults and general rudeness and negativity on CAG than I see almost anywhere else.

[quote name='prmononoke']Really, I see more insults and general rudeness and negativity on CAG than I see almost anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you pointed this out.

We will be addressing the issue of "rudeness and negativity on CAG" very soon. If you suspect yourself (anyone reading this post) to have been a part of this problem, do yourself a favor and start being nicer.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm glad you pointed this out.

We will be addressing the issue of "rudeness and negativity on CAG" very soon. If you suspect yourself (anyone reading this post) to have been a part of this problem, do yourself a favor and start being nicer.[/quote]
Glad to hear (or read, I guess) it!

[quote name='Liquid 2']I'm surprised CoffeeEdge has lasted as long as he has, myself.

TMK interfered with the enjoyment of plenty of users though.[/QUOTE]

actually this thread made me think of Coffee Edge as well. Not that i'm advocating his banning or anything but he's one of those guys that stick out like mana knight did.

People who say he was a moderate fanboy must have missed a lot of his posts.

The "kid" (dude is like 30 years old) said he would kill himself if Sony quit the gaming business.

[quote name='zewone']People who say he was a moderate fanboy must have missed a lot of his posts.

The "kid" (dude is like 30 years old) said he would kill himself if Sony quit the gaming business.[/quote]

Really?:lol:

While entertaining, CAG is better off without him and the arguments that followed in his wake, nobody can dispute that.

There should be a Scrabble-style challenge system in which we can submit evidence for a particular user being banned, and then if you lose, you get a temp ban or something.

TMK was the most annoying tool on CAG, but that was certainly not reason enough to ban him. Banning people simply because they blindly support something to the point of lunacy sets a bad precedent for all future moderating on the site. There's an ignore list for a reason, TMK did nothing that couldn't be resolved by simply ignoring him.
[quote name='daphatty']
We will be addressing the issue of "rudeness and negativity on CAG" very soon. If you suspect yourself (anyone reading this post) to have been a part of this problem, do yourself a favor and start being nicer.[/QUOTE]
Well, fuck that.

i think this thread is a good idea for posting people who have over 10 posts or so, but it should be a mod only thread. Everyone should be able to read it, but only mods should be able to post in it, would keep things real clean in the thread.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Banning people simply because they blindly support something to the point of lunacy sets a bad precedent for all future moderating on the site.[/QUOTE]
Having him around sets a bad precedent for the site.

It makes it seem as if his type of inflammatory fanboy posts are accepted.

actually this thread made me think of Coffee Edge as well. Not that i'm advocating his banning or anything but he's one of those guys that stick out like mana knight did.

Sticking out should not be the crime, which is what it sounds like it's going to end up being, given the posts in this thread. Anyone on CAG should be allowed to be a fanboy if they want, but they need to be capable of defended their choice with intelligent conversation, and not just the putting down of others.

I don't really know TMK's case, so I won't comment on that.

~HotShotX

[quote name='zewone']Having him around sets a bad precedent for the site.[/quote] Banning him because you don't agree with his opinions does too. If he was banned because his opinions rubbed a mod the wrong way then that mod needs to grow the hell up.

[quote name='zewone']Ban this ^ guy.

I don't want to see any differing opinions.[/quote]

Not going to happen... :speaktothehand: Casey isn't on atm.

TMK was a crazy fanboy, banworthy? No, well maybe since I don't know what the post was that got him there. He was too bias for his own good, but I didn't see him go troll the xbox or wii forums, and only general gaming but than there were those who did provoke him or were just as bad as him on the other side of bashing the PS3 and promoting the 360. So unless he was banned for something else, I can think of several people who should be banned right now if they aren't.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm glad you pointed this out.

We will be addressing the issue of "rudeness and negativity on CAG" very soon. If you suspect yourself (anyone reading this post) to have been a part of this problem, do yourself a favor and start being nicer.[/quote]

As long as a new policy applies to EVERY user that's fine. Without naming names (like I really have to), NO ONE should be exempt.

Ban people for hate speech, not being fanboys. BTW, VHS is the ONLY VIABLE FORMAT! MWAHAHA!!

Seriously, I don't know what was the one post, or group of posts that caused it, but perma-bans should not be used for fanboyism. Especially first offense fanboyisms.

A list of all the people banned, and why, and how long is a good idea. It gives examples to the rest of the community on how to stay clean. YO JOE!

[quote name='neocisco']As long as a new policy applies to EVERY user that's fine. Without naming names (like I really have to), NO ONE should be exempt.[/QUOTE]
Agreed

After TMK the more deserving people should be banned as well. I won't name names either.

and so it begins... modding the mods is a horrible idea..if The Mana Knight deserved to be banned then he is banned...live with it...the worst decision you can make as a contributing member is to question the volunteered mods that do a ton of work to make the forums a great place to hang out...if you have a problem with the banning then you deal with it acordingly and go to CheapyD or the mod if you know who that person is...

[quote name='zewone']People who say he was a moderate fanboy must have missed a lot of his posts.
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking alot of folks missed his posts. Did anyone not see when he would derail anything about another console if someone said Sony had dropped the ball?

Go back and re-read the post about the PS3 version of Smackdown 08 not including the ability to have custom themes. He completely took a normal thread and tried to claim the PS3 version was superior because of his not-related-to-Smackdown in any regard reasons. hell, in any post he defended the PS3...he'd follow it up with "I can give lots of reasons why the 360 sucks" Yeah. Class act he certainly was.

Not to mention the sheer amount of insane complete gutter mouth posts in the GGT. How often did he refer to somebody as a "fucking nerd" when they disagreed with him? Followed by a string of "fucks". Yeah, He's a real asset to the site. Please unban him.

I'll allow this thread to stay open a little longer to get some more feedback from the community.

Going forward, I will consider making a banned user thread and creating a specific moderator protocol for perma-banning of users.

[quote name='DJSteel']....the worst decision you can make as a contributing member is to question the volunteered mods.....[/QUOTE]

Why? Why shouldn't it be open for discussion for the community? If the powers that be here are serious about accepting feedback from the community, then why shouldn't someone be able to comment on a Mod's actions?

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Why? Why shouldn't it be open for discussion for the community? If the powers that be here are serious about accepting feedback from the community, then why shouldn't someone be able to comment on a Mod's actions?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure if you have a problem with a mod, you're supposed to pm Cheapy about it. It's so we don't have people opening "demod the mod" threads.

[quote name='DJSteel']and so it begins... modding the mods is a horrible idea..if The Mana Knight deserved to be banned then he is banned...live with it...the worst decision you can make as a contributing member is to question the volunteered mods that do a ton of work to make the forums a great place to hang out...if you have a problem with the banning then you deal with it acordingly and go to CheapyD or the mod if you know who that person is...[/quote]

IMO, authority should almost always be questioned. Not so much to be rebellious but to act as a balance. Some people with authority (I'm not implying any particular mods, more like cops:)) tend to start tripping on it. I've never had a problem with any mod and, in fact, have received quite a bit of help from a few of them, namely Shrike, Trakan and guinaevere. I very much appreciate the mods who are active and help take care of problems. Mods, however, do sometimes make mistakes and pointing them out out in a civilized manner shouldn't cause a user to be ostracized.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'll allow this thread to stay open a little longer to get some more feedback from the community.

Going forward, I will consider making a banned user thread and creating a specific moderator protocol for perma-banning of users.[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for listening to our input. I liked the idea that someone else mentioned, that the banned user thread can only be posted in by mods and forum guides.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm pretty sure if you have a problem with a mod, you're supposed to pm Cheapy about it. It's so we don't have people opening "demod the mod" threads.[/quote]

exactly.. if you have an issue with a mod you take that up with Cheapy and he'll talk to the mod about it...there is no point of doing this publically other than making the mod look bad publically..

[quote name='DJSteel']exactly.. if you have an issue with a mod you take that up with Cheapy and he'll talk to the mod about it...there is no point of doing this publically other than making the mod look bad publically..[/QUOTE]

Agreed, its personal discretions that the rest of CAG doesnt need to know about. personally, I dont need to know why user X was permabanned...the mods have their reasons and thats that. if you have a problem with any user..take it up with them.

as for TMK, I never read his threads except the post your pics thread..which was epic imo, and that thread about the ps3 starting to outsell the wii or something. In that thread i saw flame war written all over it and it happend. If his banning lifts the negativity off CAG so be it. It was his fault, he was warned, and he paid for it.

i wouldnt mind a list of permabanned users..but maybe if that list is made with a reason for the permaban. That could erase the "why was he banned?" question.

edit: just contradicted myself haha

what i meant to say was i dont need to know what the problems with a specific user are....Thats their personal business.

[quote name='DJSteel']exactly.. if you have an issue with a mod you take that up with Cheapy and he'll talk to the mod about it...there is no point of doing this publically other than making the mod look bad publically..[/quote]

Good point. I didn't get the impression, though, that anyone was trying to make Casey look bad. You can question someone's decision without questioning their ability.

[quote name='neocisco']Good point. I didn't get the impression, though, that anyone was trying to make Casey look bad. You can question someone's decision without questioning their ability.[/QUOTE]
I don't think anyone was trying to make Casey look bad, but LinkinPrime was definitely crapped on, they opened a demodding thread and everything. No one needs that kind of nonsense.

I know someone who was banned because of a difference of opinion with a mod. That person had not broken any rules at all, in fact his posts were being deleted for no reason and he was upset by this. Actually his posts were deleted because the mod disagreed with him. After some rather witty comebacks from the forum member -- mind you with absolutely no profanity or derogatory comments -- the mod couldn't take it and banned him.

The banned guy then contacted Cheapy D who promptly ignored the whole incident and in fact did not even comment on the situation at all. In fact, no direct response at all.

I fear that I'll get banned just for pointing this out but figured it is worth it considering that this is THE elephant in the room in regards to this site. I have purposefully left out all of the identifying information of the forum member and the mod in question for fear of reprisals. Remember, it is not a democracy and they can do whatever they want to you!

If I am not banned from the site for these truths I can easily see my post being deleted.

By the way, if we had a "demod the mod" thread, I can almost guarantee that whoever starts it will be banned, the thread locked and deleted . . . so be careful out there guys and gals!

Have a good one and good luck, if I get banned for this I will love and miss all of you!

Later,

Alex

I think a lot of you are missing the point as to why TMK was banned, which further proves that we really need a moderator-only thread that explains said mods decision to ban someone.

It's not that he was banned for being a fanboy, if that was the case then a lot of CAGs would of been banned already. Rather, he was banned for his unprovoked arguments and insistent bickering among other CAGs, as well as his failure to stop even though he was given more than enough warnings. He contributed nothing but animosity among us, which is harmful to our forums camaraderie, and also gives a bad impression to new users of the forum.

I'm just glad Casey finally did what needed to be done, and now he is getting all this unnecessary backlash for his actions. Yeah, fuck you Casey for making our site better, what the hell is wrong with you?

[quote name='yukine']I think a lot of you are missing the point as to why TMK was banned, which further proves that we really need a moderator-only thread that explains said mods decision to ban someone.

It's not that he was banned for being a fanboy, if that was the case then a lot of CAGs would of been banned already. Rather, he was banned for his unprovoked arguments and insistent bickering among other CAGs, as well as his failure to stop even though he was given more than enough warnings. He contributed nothing but animosity among us, which is harmful to our forums camaraderie, and also gives a bad impression to new users of the forum.

I'm just glad Casey finally did what needed to be done, and now he is getting all this unnecessary backlash for his actions. Yeah, fuck you Casey for making our site better, what the hell is wrong with you?[/quote]

I don't know about the specifics of the case in question but there should be some form of arbitration or at least have some oversite. As it stands you are S.O.L. if you are banned, ultimately the purpose of mods is to take stress off of Cheapy D, especially since he has a new son!

Oh well, letting people question and vent helps keep the community morale high.

Later,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back