The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

[quote name='jbang']Can anybody recommend a wireless network adapter for windows 7 64 bit that actually works? My old linksys 802.11n pci wasn't compatible so I replaced it with the Rosewill pce-n150PC which works very poorly (1 bar despite only being 1 room away but that's what you get for a $15 adapter). I finally found the Asus pce-N13, which worked great when it wanted to and caused stuttering in my system whenever I accessed the internet.
tl;dr Wireless network adapter for windows 7 64 bit. USB, PCI/PCI-e it doesn't matter. Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298282

I use this with my setup. It used to have a $20 MIR, so it was only $20 when I bought it. It works fine for gaming. I've never had one connection issue when gaming in the 8 months I've been using it. The one thing I do have issues with is sometimes using the internet. My bars will drop down to 2/5 and everything will go extremely slow. I'm pretty sure it's my ISP/Router, but I'm too cheap to get a new router and actually test it out.

NewEgg tax sucks. I had to pay an extra $70 when I bought my rig -_-. The parts did get here in 2 days though. I guess there's a small perk to getting taxed.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']What are the specs of your current computer, what resolution do you play at, what's your price range?[/QUOTE]
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/23/2011, 11:02:30
Machine name: ELSOM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DG965SS_
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3046MB RAM
Page File: 1312MB used, 4777MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

my range is 70 dollars! thanks a lot!!

[quote name='WongTongSoup']System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/23/2011, 11:02:30
Machine name: ELSOM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DG965SS_
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3046MB RAM
Page File: 1312MB used, 4777MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

my range is 70 dollars! thanks a lot!![/QUOTE]
What's the wattage/brand of your PSU?

Edit: A 5570 is probably your best bet for under $70, if your PSU can handle it, you'll probably need a 400W one to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to buy or build Gaming Desktop this month or next month and I have not built a desktop since my Intel P4 with Nvidia 7800GTX so it has been a long time. I have always liked Alienware but could never justify the price but I now have the money for one. This is what I put together on their site:

CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.9GHz edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz edit
VIDEO CARD 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA®GeForce® GTX 590 edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
PRICE: $2100 shipped

I know there are enough guides online that could help me build a similar setup for cheaper but I don't know what components to buy or from where. If you could help with websites and prices I would appreciate it.

[quote name='headpiece747']I am looking to buy or build Gaming Desktop this month or next month and I have not built a desktop since my Intel P4 with Nvidia 7800GTX so it has been a long time. I have always liked Alienware but could never justify the price but I now have the money for one. This is what I put together on their site:

CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.9GHz edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz edit
VIDEO CARD 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA®GeForce® GTX 590 edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
PRICE: $2100 shipped

I know there are enough guides online that could help me build a similar setup for cheaper but I don't know what components to buy or from where. If you could help with websites and prices I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Are you planning to overclock? Are you planning to do SLI/Crossfire? Those factor would play in a ton in what motherboard you select.

Also, what other uses would your computer get? Any photo/video/sound editing?

From the other thread I know people were bagging on my suggestion of the PC Builder's Bible, but I prefer print magazines over reading articles online, and it's got a lot of good charts in it that show various performance differences between different video cards. For a first build, it's a pretty good resource. If you're gonna shell out $2100 for a computer, what's $10 for a magazine if it helps you out?

i used to play pc games not anymore, hardware expensive and they are buggy. my computer i use every day is a athlon 3200, serves my use fine. I only play gamers on consoles. I also use the same computer for graphics work.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Are you planning to overclock? Are you planning to do SLI/Crossfire? Those factor would play in a ton in what motherboard you select.

Also, what other uses would your computer get? Any photo/video/sound editing?

From the other thread I know people were bagging on my suggestion of the PC Builder's Bible, but I prefer print magazines over reading articles online, and it's got a lot of good charts in it that show various performance differences between different video cards. For a first build, it's a pretty good resource. If you're gonna shell out $2100 for a computer, what's $10 for a magazine if it helps you out?[/QUOTE]

No SLI/Crossfire. It will be primarily for gaming with light sound editing and no video editing or photo.

[quote name='headpiece747']No SLI/Crossfire. It will be primarily for gaming with light sound editing and no video editing or photo.[/QUOTE]
What's the resolution of your monitor? A 590 might be overkill if you're only gaming at like 1680x1050 or something, although it would give you some future-proofing.

Also: Are you looking for the best-of-the-best, money no object? Or are you wanting a good value/performance ratio?

headpiece747: If you got the money to spare, get the Alienware. Just know that you can build that exact PC yourself for about half the price. Might not come with some cool looking alienware case and tech support, but the satisfaction of building your own PC has its own reward. Also upgrade that ram, 4gb is low for the plans you have for your system.

Take a good look at the link crystalklear64 posted. It has some great info to work off of.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']What's the wattage/brand of your PSU?

Edit: A 5570 is probably your best bet for under $70, if your PSU can handle it, you'll probably need a 400W one to be safe.[/QUOTE]
how do i check my PSU?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']What's the resolution of your monitor? A 590 might be overkill if you're only gaming at like 1680x1050 or something, although it would give you some future-proofing.

Also: Are you looking for the best-of-the-best, money no object? Or are you wanting a good value/performance ratio?[/QUOTE]

I will be using my LG that does 1920x1080 but will probably get a dedicated monitor for gaming later.

I have saved up for this system but if I could get something that will play games at max settings and futureproof then I definitely use the rest of the money for games and other equipment.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Handy guide from /g/
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

updated usually once a month. just updated today. some more ideas for people building completely from scratch.[/QUOTE]

That guide is great thanks for the link I have always tried to get my money worth out of my computers that I own so maybe I should look for more options and that guide gave me alot.

[quote name='j-cart']headpiece747: If you got the money to spare, get the Alienware. Just know that you can build that exact PC yourself for about half the price. Might not come with some cool looking alienware case and tech support, but the satisfaction of building your own PC has its own reward. Also upgrade that ram, 4gb is low for the plans you have for your system.

Take a good look at the link crystalklear64 posted. It has some great info to work off of.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip on the ram do you think 6gb is enough or should I go higher. I will be using Windows 7 64bit because it uses all the ram I heard that you put into it. Most of the systems that I look at on google or even the guide crystalklear64 gave the system with the components I was looking at still come close to about $2000 to build. I don't need bleeding edge that will be obsolete in 1 year but I would not mind the best as of right now that I can afford it.

Honestly, 4gb of ram will hold you back. The price you are planning on paying, the upgrade to 8gb isn't very much. I have 8gb of ram in my PC and I plan to put 8 more (my mobo caps at 16). 6gb of ram is fine, but if you plan to spend $2000 then make the jump to 8gb or your ram will be holding you back.

/edit: For any of you looking for a budget PC newegg has two combos going on sale this weekend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo..._-EMC-050611-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo639053-LM0A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo..._-EMC-050611-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo639051-LM0B

Both lack a GFX card, but GTX 460-560 would be more than enough to run any game at or near full settings.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']There should be a sticker on the side that shows the wattage.[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much! i will have a new video card because of you!!!! yahhhhhhh! thanks again

[quote name='headpiece747']I will be using my LG that does 1920x1080 but will probably get a dedicated monitor for gaming later.

I have saved up for this system but if I could get something that will play games at max settings and futureproof then I definitely use the rest of the money for games and other equipment.

That guide is great thanks for the link I have always tried to get my money worth out of my computers that I own so maybe I should look for more options and that guide gave me alot.

Thanks for the tip on the ram do you think 6gb is enough or should I go higher. I will be using Windows 7 64bit because it uses all the ram I heard that you put into it. Most of the systems that I look at on google or even the guide crystalklear64 gave the system with the components I was looking at still come close to about $2000 to build. I don't need bleeding edge that will be obsolete in 1 year but I would not mind the best as of right now that I can afford it.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I'd go with.
i7-2600K/Memory combo $395
p8P67 Deluxe motherboard $230
Corsair HX 850 PSU/HDD combo $209
MSI Geforce 570 $355 (The 590's are very expensive and won't give you a whole lot better performance at that resolution, it's not worth the extra $400 IMO.)

Then just pick a case you like, and check reviews, as style is subjective, but make sure it has good room and will fit your parts.
I like the Corsair 600T but there are many that will fit your needs.

I think 8GB of memory is overkill for gaming, at least at this point, but it's pretty cheap right now, so 8GB is good future-proofing. That build comes to under $1400 even if you spend $200 on a case.

Another upgrade you might look at is an SSD. You can get a 60GB one for around $100 or so if you shop around.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Here's what I'd go with.
i7-2600K/Memory combo $395
p8P67 Deluxe motherboard $230
Corsair HX 850 PSU/HDD combo $209
MSI Geforce 570 $355 (The 590's are very expensive and won't give you a whole lot better performance at that resolution, it's not worth the extra $400 IMO.)

Then just pick a case you like, and check reviews, as style is subjective, but make sure it has good room and will fit your parts.
I like the Corsair 600T but there are many that will fit your needs.

I think 8GB of memory is overkill for gaming, at least at this point, but it's pretty cheap right now, so 8GB is good future-proofing. That build comes to under $1400 even if you spend $200 on a case.

Another upgrade you might look at is an SSD. You can get a 60GB one for around $100 or so if you shop around.[/QUOTE]
That looks a good setup. I am still looking through that guide to compare stuff too. I will be back with my ideas thanks for the help.

Any way you go, look for combo deals on Newegg. They can save a bit of money just buying 2 or more things together, that'd you'd probably be buying anyway.

Oh, and I just realized I didn't put an OS in that build, so figure in for that too.

Thanks, j-cart and Darkrider23, I'm going to read some more reviews on these and possibly make a purchase

[quote name='v1et r1ce']
CPU: i5 2400
Mobo: ASRock P67 Pro3
GPU: Radeon 5850
Hard drive: WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Ram: A-DATA XPG Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CD Drive: ASUS Black DVD/CD Burner
[/QUOTE]

Anyone recommend me anything cheaper than that? With a PSU, it'll probably be around $650, and I'm trying to get it under $600...

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Anyone recommend me anything cheaper than that? With a PSU, it'll probably be around $650, and I'm trying to get it under $600...[/QUOTE]
If you're trying to go cheap, AMD is probably the way to go. The other question I'd ask is why bother with the P67 chipset if you're not getting a K processor?

Here's what I'm running right now (it's a Gateway purchased from Best Buy in February '08)...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
Motherboard: Intel Corporation DG33SXG2 AAD94468-502
Monitor: 1680x1050 max resolution

I was mainly wondering if I'm an upgrade or two away from being ok for the next few years or do I need a complete overhaul? Not looking to spend a ton so I was also wondering if those combo deals j-cart posted would be worth it considering what I have now? Thanks.

The problem with Intel boards is that they are always changing their chipsets, which means you have to upgrade your mobo. Also we need to know what your PSU wattage is. At this point a PC is pretty much in order.

Anything that is built by dell, HP, gateway (or any brandname) really prevents you from upgrading due to the limiting factors of your mobo. Just google searching shows me that it is a pretty limited board. Any upgrades with a gfx card seems out of the question.

PC's are some hefty investments. I put together mine pretty recently, before that I was out of the PC gaming loop for almost 8 years. I survived the first few years with a decent laptop, but that only last for 3 years, barely.

The thing you have to ask yourself is, Do I need this right now? If not wait it out. I made my PC 7 months after my brother made his. My PC is much faster and has a better GPU for a bit less than what he paid for his. That is just how the PC realm works. Either wait it out, or go all in. Never half ass it.

I was afraid upgrading might be difficult/impossible due to it being a Gateway. Was hoping for a quick fix that would help me with The Witcher 2 and maybe even Diablo 3 later on down the road.

I mainly game on consoles now due to falling away from keeping track of all the hardware out there. It seemed much less daunting when I picked out the parts and had my friend build my 2 PCs before the Gateway...lol.

Anyway, I was looking at this http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1312..._-EMC-050611-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo639053-LM0A http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1312..._-EMC-050611-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo639053-LM0A and wondering if anyone has an idea how far it would get me before I have to start running everything on low settings? :D

Put in a good video card and you got yourself a gaming rig for the next 5-6 years. After that it can become a HTPC or something of the sorts.

The new sandy bridge's are some fast processors.

I was looking at adding a GTX 560 to that and coming out at a little less than $950 including a new copy of Windows 7. Only thing that has me concerned about that combo is the Rosewill power supply. After doing some research I saw that brand is not really a favorite of many people. I would almost certainly only run one video card and maybe overclock if it is easy enough so I doubt I would be pushing the PSU TOO hard. Have to think about this over the weekend...

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']If you're trying to go cheap, AMD is probably the way to go. The other question I'd ask is why bother with the P67 chipset if you're not getting a K processor?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm going back and forth between AMD and intel since AMD is cheaper, but I personally prefer intel...I'm still debating with myself >.<

and at first I was going to get the Extreme4, but then someone suggested to get the cheaper Pro3 instead. Do you have something else you think would suit me more?

I went with AMD because of price. I got the 975 black edition under $200. For a quad core at 3.6ghz with the ability to OC using AMD OverDrive was a great buy.

The Sandy Bridge will perform much better than an OCed AMD, but they are up there in price.

[quote name='j-cart']I went with AMD because of price. I got the 975 black edition under $200. For a quad core at 3.6ghz with the ability to OC using AMD OverDrive was a great buy.

The Sandy Bridge will perform much better than an OCed AMD, but they are up there in price.[/QUOTE]

If I go with AMD, how would my build from above look with this in place of the i5 and the pro3?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=1312731&SID= (probably this psu, still have no clue which to get..)

[quote name='crystalklear64']I would hold off your PC/CPU buying plans for a month or two to see what Bulldozer does to the market.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't plan to build until sometime in the summer. :)

**EDIT**
If I buy a AMD processor/mobo bundle from the link below, which would be good? The AMD 965 with the MSI 870A seems like a good one, but I really have no clue which is the best for my $500-$550 budget. I'd like something that'll last me for a while until my next upgrade and can OC?

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

[quote name='j-cart']That would be a killer PC if you put a 560 in it.[/QUOTE]

Went ahead and got the combo I was talking about with a Radeon 6950 instead of the GTX560. Ending up being around $932 including Windows 7 64-bit. Probably should have waited to see what happens with Bulldozer like Crystalklear suggested but I really want to play Witcher 2 at launch on something other than low settings. :D

Hey all I am sorta in the same situation as Killbomb, just would like any advice if I can upgrade a few parts vs buying an entirely new rig. Current rig is in the Spoiler:
Processor= Intel Core 2 quad cpu @ 2.66GHz (intel core 2 extreme qx6700)
Video Card= Nvidia GeForce 8800Gts (640Mbs)
PSU= HX62O Watt (corsair)
Mobo: Intel D975XBX2
RAM: 3.25 GB (Kingston DDR2)

Try to see if you can overclock your cpu. That thing should still be pretty viable if you can OC it. You should be able to find a gtx 460 for pretty cheap now these days. Also try to add more RAM (like just buy a 2 gb or 4 gb stick) should help.

We also need to know how many watts your PSU is outputting.

Here is a link to someone OCing the same CPU as yours to a 3.2ghz:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571485

[quote name='j-cart']Try to see if you can overclock your cpu. That thing should still be pretty viable if you can OC it. You should be able to find a gtx 460 for pretty cheap now these days. Also try to add more RAM (like just buy a 2 gb or 4 gb stick) should help.

We also need to know how many watts your PSU is outputting.

Here is a link to someone OCing the same CPU as yours to a 3.2ghz:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571485[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! Where do I find how much my psu is actually outputting? All I know is that it is a 620W

If it is a 620W like you say, then you are in good hands.

Upgrade your ram (just buy another 2gb or 4gb stick, always on sale @ newegg) and look for a graphics card within your budget. The gtx 460 is a last gen card, but that means you should be able to find one for under $120.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...21&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Most on that list has a rebate. I have no experience with ATI cards, so that is why I am pushing the GTX's. My brother has the 460 768mb. All he says is that he wish he threw down the few extra bucks for the 1gb. I have the 470 and boy is this card nice (got it on a great deal). Both of us can run Crysis on high settings with an avg of 40-50 fps, I can push it further with some AA boosts.

You should be able to do a decent upgrade for under $200. The GFX card will be the most expensive factor. Look for up coming summer deals if you can wait it out a bit. Also just to make sure that the ram you purchase is the speed as the ram you currently have (ie. 1333, 1600, etc).

Biggest thing is your CPU. You do have a high end one, so OCing should be no problem, just make sure you get some good air flow in your PC and you should be alright.

Thanks a ton j-cart. I am definitely going to wait a few for sure. One final question, I have a stock intel fan and a case fan that is on the back of my case, should I add any others? If so which ones. Again thanks a ton!

Fans depend on what your case allows. My case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119233

Allows for multiple different fans for the the top (I can fit a 200mm) and 120mm case fans for the side and front. Honestly, case fans a super cheap ($7 bucks for 120mm) at Fry's. Just buy them to be on the safe side, especially if you plan on overclocking. Remember that you need to create air flow into the case. I have my fronts bringing in air and my side back and top blowing air out.

Also I believe you are on a 775 socket (your cpu type), a new heatsink with fan would help in keeping things cool if you plan to OC.

Checkout anything from this list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0 600035298 600035327&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA 775

MAKE SURE YOU POST your planned purchase on Tom's Hardware. Those guys know a lot more than me. I am going off of the basics of what I know. I don't have any recent experience with Intel based products (last time I used Intel was on my old laptop that died in early 2008, it wasn't even a dual core!).

Man with Blizzard saying Diablo 3 is coming a long faster then they thought and that they hope to have it out this year its getting harder and harder to wait to build a PC. When is Bulldozer due out? I am going to try my damnedest to at least wait till its been out a month or two so I can decide if I should go with it or Ivy Bridge.

AMD has been on the hush about BullDozer. Just a heads up, it is an AM3+ type. Currently it is unclear if AM3 boards will even support AM3+.

The only reason I built a PC was for Diablo 3 :D

@j-cart
Yeah I was actually looking around at heatsink fans and such and wound up on tom'shardware. One thing I did notice was when I opened up the front bezel of my case (thermaltake Shark) dust clumps started spilling out and the filter was completely caked with dust. I am going to OC once I get a new hsf but I am going to do a thorough cleaning because this baby was neglected.

Edit: and you were right, it's a 775 socket :)

Ok I have a problem. I'm pretty sure my video card burned out so I took it out and tried hooking up my monitor to the mother board VGA but it won't recognize it. To confirm my monitor wasn't broken i hooked it up to another computer and it worked just fine. Any ideas on whats wrong? My computer is from March of 2007!

[quote name='j-cart']The only reason I built a PC was for Diablo 3 :D[/QUOTE]

Same here...well, also for Witcher 2, Skyrim and a few others. :D

Anyway, got my PC together last night and while it seems to working nomally, I think the i2500K may be running a bit too hot. I'm getting idle temps in the 40s C and when I tried to run Prime 95's Blend Test, it shot up into the 90s almost immediately and I turned off the test for fear of burning up my CPU. Just have the stock HSF on there and no overclocking. I posted on Tom's Hardware and I got a reply about the stock thermal paste taking a while to cure. Anybody else have experience with the i2500K? It's my first build so I'm rather pleased I got it running without consulting friends but I want to make sure it's not going to crap out in a few days. :D

[quote name='WongTongSoup']Ok I have a problem. I'm pretty sure my video card burned out so I took it out and tried hooking up my monitor to the mother board VGA but it won't recognize it. To confirm my monitor wasn't broken i hooked it up to another computer and it worked just fine. Any ideas on whats wrong? My computer is from March of 2007![/QUOTE]
You will probably have to enable the onboard video in the BIOS.

bread's done
Back